main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official "The Clone Wars" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RevantheJediMaster, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I don't see how you can hate a show when you have barely even watched it and your opinion relies solely on what you've heard about it rather then giving it a chance and forming your own opinion about it without being clouded by other people's judgements. [face_dunno]

Valairy Scot likes this.
  2. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Ok, lets stop ganging up on Zeta just a little bit here.

3. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    These are my judgements based on my perceptions of what happens in the show. Just because I don't accept TCW as the story of the Clone Wars doesn't mean I am blind to what it is doing. I don't want to join the viewership of a show that fundamentally bugs me by dramatically altering the Clone Wars. I simply can't stand the dramatic timeline shift, because continuity is everything to me, because there is nothing intact about a dramatic timeline shift that generally ruins the original meaning of the works that have been moved.

Supply Lines had a CR90 corvette that was the Tantive IV, which was supposed to be a CR70 corvette at the time, leading to the Sundered Heart becoming the ship in RotS.

4. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I get the continuity arguments. We had plenty of those when the TCW film and S1 came out.

Zeta - I honestly just consider TCW to be an alt-timeline for SW at this point.

It's a shame you can't get into it with that kind of mentality, because there are some great episodes there to be viewed.

If you're dead set against watching it, that's your call, it's just too bad a wrong model of corvette ruins the experience for you.

5. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    What is the significants, the damage to the story done by having the Tantive IV not being the same ship in ROTS? I'm sorry, I just can't relate to pushing a show away because a vehicle isn't correct. I hope I'm understanding you correctly Zeta1127.

Really nostalgia and what came first isn't everything. Its not always objectively better.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  6. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Its not one thing, its everything, Anakin being knighted so early and having a Padawan, the numerous duels between Anakin and Dooku, the portrayal of the CIS, no more Tantive IV in RotS, Darth Maul's return, and so many other things, to the point I can't truly envision it as Star Wars. Yeah, I believe its an alternate timeline that I simply don't care about.

7. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Let me just add to my post that part of the fun is watching the new stuff and figuring out how it fall fits together with itself and the old stuff. Isn't that right? Well its your call and that fine. Life is beautiful.

8. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    You're ultimately entitled to your own opinions, but I do find it sad that you're basing those opinions on second-hand information rather than first-hand experience.

9. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Zeta1127: I absolutely love the EU, and I love TCW. I think they work together, minus a few little quirks here and there. One obscure character death or a planet's erratic orbit aren't going to wreck my day. TCW has borrowed a heck of a lot more from the EU than it's ruined.

Seerow likes this.
  10. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    My offer still stands. =b

11. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    If its free, why not! I'm quite thankful for Umbara: without that arc, I may not have realized how significant clones are and how unique each one is. I would really like Boba to meet Rex one day. I'd wager, Rex is beginning to look like Jango did, as Boba would remember him. And I'm sure there are things Boba would like to say to his father, like how much he misses him.

Seerow likes this.
  12. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Every Clone looks like Jango :p

13. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    True. Let me put it this way: I'll admit, I don't know how old Jango was, when he died or when he received Boba. But Rex and clones his age are beginning to look like the man that Boba remembers. (For instance, I don't have a mental image of my parents before I was born.) That will be quite jarring for Boba, seeing an entire army of men that look like his father.

14. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Certified

Glad you enjoyed Umbara. It gave alot of development and much needed personality to the clones. Rex really came into his own as a character finally moving past and using the lessons of "The Deserter". It also did wonders for Fives, Tup, and Jesse. You aren't the only one who grew to like them thanks to Umbara. I know Dark Lord Tarkas had a similar experience to yours. It could be interesting for Rex to meet Boba.

15. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I haven't gotten to Umbara yet. I better get to it!

Seerow likes this.
  16. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    I did not think it was even possible to have not seen the Umbara arc.

17. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    This looks like the perfect time for some shameless self promotion. <.<;

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  18. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    Just when I thought I couldn't love George Lucas and his use of symmetry any more than I already do, I come across one of the best uses of 'retroactive symmetry' that I think I've ever seen: the scene in the middle of Destroy Malevolence when Grievous ambushes Obi-Wan just as the latter goes to try and destroy the Malevolence's hyperdrive, which just so happens to be an exact replica of the scene in Revenge of the Sith where Obi-Wan confronts Grievous on Utapau. I totally wasn't expecting the scene in RotS to, chronologically, be a 'repeat', but am absolutely giddy that it is, because, with the Destroy Malevolence scene having chronologically preceded it, the RotS scene is cast in an entirely new context that ends up making it even more awesome than it already was.

Another thing I like about TCW besides the above-mentioned retroactive symmetry? The use of dialogue that sounds ridiculous, but actually ends up working (which is another staple of the SW franchise); the first example I've come across (thus far, anyway) is the exchange between Anakin and Padme on-board the Malevolence before he 'hotwires the ship to give Grievous a little surprise': "Ever since I've known you you've been playing with droids." (Padme) "I used to put them together; now I just take them apart." (Anakin)

The lines are extremely cheesy, but what makes them work, at least for me, is the dead-pan, matter-of-fact way in which the voice actors for Anakin and Padme deliver them. The exchange is a perfect encapsulation of the characters' relationship and is actually reminiscent of some of the banter - minus the rather overt antagonism - that their daughter Leia will end up trading with her 'scoundrel' paramour Han years and years down the line.

19. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Yeah they do a good job mirroring the cheesy lines for sure.

Still think Anakin and Padme had less chemistry and less personality than Han and Leia.

20. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    ^ I'm not sure I agree with that sentiment, but can understand where you're coming from. I mentioned the 'droids' exchange already, but there was another line of dialogue from Destroy Malevolence that I got a kick out of: Anakin's "The things you do to get me alone." There is a bit of a Han Solo element to Anakin in both AotC and RotS that there just wasn't time to explore in great depth but that, thankfully, gets its full due in The Clone Wars and is, at least IMO, 100% evident in that above-mentioned line and Matt Lanter's delivery of it.

Speaking of Lanter, I like him and his portrayal of Anakin, although there's a part of me that wishes he would've followed the lead of some of the other voice actors and tried to mimic Hayden Christensen's voice mire closely.

cwustudent likes this.
  21. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Disagree - the fan base seems to be divided on this, but I actually like Lanter's portrayal the best. :)

Hayden was IMHO, simply too wooden in his delivery.

cwustudent and AkashKedavra_93 like this.
  22. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    All portrayals of Anakin have sucked so far. But Anakin so who cares! :D

23. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    If the choice is between Matt and Hayden, I'll take Matt every time. He's more believable to me as Anakin.

cwustudent likes this.
  24. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I saw it air, but that was far enough back that I don't remember much about it. :(

25. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Because it is not that good of an arc.