main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official "The Clone Wars" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RevantheJediMaster, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. DSucrose

DSucrose Jedi Master star 1

Feb 12, 2007
    Except that they have already finished at least one episode, so it could possibly be the finished model.

We have to take into consideration that this is for television and a cartoon series. It is not a movie or a mini-series or a straight-to-video effort, and it is not meant to be taken as live-action. I think it looks great for a television cartoons. Every full-CG TV carton I've seen looks like poodoo.

Yoda being an alien puppet, of course, it'll be hard to really get a bead on the art direction until we see an image of one of the human characters, I think.

2. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i was just thinking. who thinks we might possibly see Order 66 in this new series towards the end of it's run?

3. DSucrose

Feb 12, 2007
    If the series has any sense of ongoing continuity, order 66 would be a no-brainer. Wait a second--if the series follows Obi-Wan, Yoda and Anakin, then we probably won't see it because we see exactly where they all are during the order in the movie. Could show other Jedi, I guess (or maybe more of the missions that Aayla Secura, Plo Koon, Ki Adi Mundi, etc were on before what we see in the movie (don't know if the EU has covered this)).

It would be a really bold move to end a cartoon series with Order 66. Maybe they'll try to end it on a high note, like Anakin becoming a Jedi Knight or something, even though we've already seen it.

4. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    C-3PO himself has not only confirmed his involvement with the 3-D series, he's also revealed there are at least 11 chapters, and the title of the eleventh is:

Destroy Malevolence.

Sounds koovy. I'm thinking Grievous's brother is going to be introduced...Major Malevolence! ;)

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Of those three, only Aayla's mission has been covered in detail (in the Hyperspace webstrips). Only a few surrounding details have come out about Plo Koon and Ki-Adi Mundi's missions, though mostly in broader detail (in sources like Complete Locations and the like), though I think some more specific details emerge from the info on the Clone Commanders present, as well as my beloved UT-AT :D

6. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    It will be interesting to see how important they consider continuity with the Animated Series. There was a fairly detailed Clone Wars campaign, with the comics, novels, Clone Wars shorts, video games, etc., so I'd assume they'd be sticking to that as much as possible.

Lucas said it would focus on the last 6 months of the Clone Wars, but I wouldn't be too shocked to see them jump around a bit.

And yes, we must see the UT-AT in action!

7. DarthRotten

DarthRotten Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 24, 2003
    Actually, the Clone Wars shorts weren't intended to be in continuity when they were first produced but were later incorporated because everybody loved them so much. Unfortunately LOE had already been written when they decided that so that is why we have two similar but markedly different interpretations of the attack on Coruscant and the kidnapping of Palpatine. I personally hope they are more continuity-minded this time around but I'm not too hopefull...

8. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    I was thinking more along the lines of Parshlak....yes self promotion
    *points to DA gallery*

9. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Personally, I don't want so much super-duper continuity. I want to see fleet action, big ground battles, the taking advantage of the medium to show things that the movies cannot yet do. I want stories that are going to be good, and if possible in continuity, but I don't want the writer to say, hey, we can't tell a story becuase the Yoda Book told somehting like that. Cause you know what, not everybody reads the star wars novels, but most will watch star wars on tv. Not all the Star Wars Clone War fiction was good. So this is a good chance to cover some good stuff, and with GL covering tghis, I believe it will happen. We are going to get Clone War action the way GL intented it to be. And that is good. I am stoked on that. Plus this years video game and the live action. No wonder Sansweet said that television (small tube) was the future for star wars. I guess no movies are going to get made.

10. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    But to disregard the continuity of the books would be disrespectful of the fans that have devoted time to reading them.

11. The2ndRest-in-Peace

The2ndRest-in-Peace Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 27, 2002
    You can be hopeful- the showrunner of the series requested copies of all Clone Wars material (as of May 05) to reference. They'll be pretty continuity-minded it appears.

Actually, there was a little more coordination than that- only "Volume I" of Clone Wars (what was first produced and was originally intended to be the only episodes produced) was created with the understanding that they'd be out of continuity, though this was changed at the last moment before they aired (certain edits were made to the cartoon to make them fit into continuity better). Their subsequent popularity allowed "Volume II" to be produced.

Lucas provided the backstory to ROTS to Lucasbooks, which used it to create the outline for Labyrinth of Evil, which subsequently was provdied to GT to base Volume II on. Unfortunately, since they both had to be produced simultaneously in order to be completed before ROTS was released, so some discrepancies arose between them (though there were some last moment attempts to smooth things over, they could only do so much).

Now that the Clone Wars campaign is over and the films are done, all the stories are set in place already, it'll be easier for the showrunners to navigate continuity.

It's quite possible we might simply see the writers adapt the existing rendition of events into the story they want to tell. Just because there's continuity, doesn't mean it has to hinder the writers. That's part of working in a shared universe.

Also, how many people are exposed to a medium doesn't really matter- more people watch the movies than the cartoons, more people watch the cartoons than read the books, more people read the books than read the comics, etc etc. It all ties back to the same continuity in terms of how Lucasfilm handles non-film sources.

12. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    The Yoda image looks very intriguing, I must say! It looks very LEGO-ish. :p Which is great! :D

But it also makes me imagine that everyone will be short and squashed. :p

The story and where it all fits into place will be interesting to see. I hope they go with continuity regarding the Star Wars universe, myself. Although because it is animated, like the Clone Wars series themselves, they're not limited in physical form. So showing powerful Jedi and amazing stunts is certainly a card I believe they must play.

13. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Just so long as it's not as over the top as the original Clone Wars shorts.

14. The_Mastervader

The_Mastervader Jedi Youngling

Dec 11, 2004
    Agreed. I don't need to see Mace Windu single handedly taking down an entire battalion of Battle Droids with his bare hands, or Yoda force lifting Star Ships!

15. DSucrose

Feb 12, 2007
    That... is why you fail.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  16. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Meh. I love the over-the-top Jedi action of the Clone Wars shorts, but I don't need to see that level of heroics again, nor did I want to see it in the movies.

It fits animation better than live action, but it got a little ridiculous sometime. We go from Yoda struggling to raise Luke's X-Wing in ESB to Yoda tossing around ships like they were chips in Clone Wars.

17. younghansolo

younghansolo Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    "But to disregard the continuity of the books would be disrespectful of the fans that have devoted time to reading them."

Not to mention all the fracking money We've spent on them!

18. Darth_Shpydar

Darth_Shpydar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 31, 2006
    While some of the action of the CW cartoons was "over-the-top" at times, i have to again defend the Mace Windu vs. Droid army chapter. Take it in context -- the chapter is told from the point of view of a kid who looks over a dune and sees this battle taking place. I always imagined the events of the chapter as how the kid told the story to his friends later, with all the typical sort of embellishments (the amount of droids, the extent of Mace's powers, etc) a child would make after witnessing Windu drive back a droid force.

19. The_Mastervader

The_Mastervader Jedi Youngling

Dec 11, 2004
    Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the Clone Wars series. With the new series though I just hope they tone down the "over the top" element slightly. To me it would fit in better with the movies. Either way, I know I'll love every second of the new series as well.

20. QuinineVos

QuinineVos Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2005
    Is that really true that more people read the novels than read the comics? If it is, I'm suprised. It seems like a much more major investment of time and energy to me to read a novel than a comic, so I would have thought it would be by necessity a smaller number of people willing to do so.

I personally find it hardish to get through most of the SW novels that I choose to read (except for the very best ones I've read-Shadows of the Empire, Cloak of Deception, for example. Shatterpoint is a rare exception where I really liked it but still found it hard to get through!) Since the novels usually aren't of the highest literary quality (no slur to them, but they are rarely great literature), I find that Star Wars is generally much better suited for visual media: comics, TV, etc.

21. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    Come on Garth, in CW he was in the zone; In ESB he's been sitting wanting to practice on a ship for 20 years :p

Besides, he wasn't struggling, just concentrating really hard! Luke's watching, he doesn't want to make a berk of himself! :D

True, but the pay-off's often better (not always, mind ;) )

{||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

22. Darth_Shpydar

Darth_Shpydar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 31, 2006
    While i don't offhand know the actual sales-numbers comparisons, i believe that it is true. Remember, a large majority of the general public still consider comic books to be a "just for kids" medium, regardless of the specific book's content. It's not a matter of time-investment, it's a matter of how a particular medium is percieved and consumed by the public at large.

23. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    What is this... now the Clone Wars cartoons were "Over the top"???

What is it with you people?
    Sound like a bunch of old ladies!

Star Wars is about action, 'splosions & stuff.

24. QuinineVos

QuinineVos Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2005

Really?! Have you read the Clone Wars anthologies (not the Clone Wars Adventures, mind you)? Best EU I've ever read. I'll submit that in terms of investment versus payoff, a good comic will beat 9 out of 10 novels when it comes to Star Wars.

As for adults thinking comics are just for kids, tell that to the huge crowds that are in my local comic store every Wednesday when the new titles come out.

25. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    I would expect that the Animated Series will still be "over the top" compared to the films.

You don't want too much realism, but sometimes I just laughed at the Clone Wars shorts...

With respect to the Clone Wars campaigns, I enjoyed the comics generally (there were a few duds) and about half the novels. Shatterpoint and Labyrinth of Evil were awesome, and Dark Rendezvous was good.