main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official "The Clone Wars" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RevantheJediMaster, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I recently read the Superman arc "For Tomorrow" and there's an idea there that I think would be interested if adapted to TCW, since ideally the Jedi have that "great power/great responsibility/serve the people, etc. etc." attitude like most superheroes.

In it Superman ends up going to an unspecified country where a coup is in progress. A cyborg-mutant mercenary named Equus is leading an assault on the presidential palace and slaughtering all the guards. Superman shows up and starts roughing up Equus, thinking that he's saving the day but Equus claims that he's liberating a country. A man named General Nox who is the revolutionary leader then walks in and tells Equus to stand down and tells Superman that he has no quarrel with him. Superman says that there won't be a problem if they all surrender their weapons and surrender to the proper authority and General Nox replies, "if we do that, [the weapons] will be picked up, and put right back in our hands because I am the authority now."

They then walk out onto a balcony where there are crowds of people cheering Nox's name as their liberator. Nox then tells Superman that the people need to be listened to and for Superman to stand against Nox and the will of the people would be to abuse his power and would be morally wrong in oppressing the people. Superman then thinks for a moment and asks Nox, "what can I do to help?"

I figured such a situation in TCW would put the Jedi in a bind.

Say there is a rebellion that breaks out on a Republic planet that wants to secede and join the CIS. The Jedi arrive with the clones to put down the rebellion but realize that unlike previous battles, this time it isn't against an oppressive leader like King Rash, but rather a rebellion supported by the people. The Jedi can enforce the will of the Republic and suppress the rebellion which would be "morally wrong" and they become the oppressors forcing this planet to accept Republic authority. Or they can support the people and allow them to break away from the Republic, and perhaps stand up to individuals like Tarkin who might be killing innocent people to keep the planet in line and suppress the Rebellion.

If the Jedi suppress the planet, then they are oppressors and morally corrupt. If they support the planet, then they are traitors to the Republic. Someone like Tarkin could be an vile human being that is willing to kill as many as necessary to keep the planet in line, yet he would be celebrated as a hero for doing his duty to preserve the Republic.

2. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Cool ideas. I think OC Jedi would work well with such plot. Might even be the moment we get a Jedi on the separatist side legitly rather than just another agent of Dooku. I have wondered if there are already Jedi who support the Separatist cause. I struggle to imagine what Anakin and Obi-wan would do. Can you imagine Ahsoka dissagreeing with Anakin and even helping the rebels against him?

There is an idea from Animorphs I would like to see adapted as a way to create a horrible atrocity on the republic side.

In Animorphs there is a special prequel book called the Hork-bajir Chronicles that explains how the Yeerks who are like smarter versions of the brain invader worms conquered and enslaved a race of aliens called the Hork-bajir. The Hork-bajir basically became the Yeerk's main soldiers. The Andalites who are supposed to be the good aliens of that series underestimate the Yeerk forces in the battle to save Hork-bajir resulting in their forces getting curbstomped. So, to keep the Hork-bajir from becoming slaves and enemies by extension of that the Andalites decide to use a biological weapon to exterminate the Hork-bajir and release it onto the planet. The Hork-bajir are kinda like the Gungans of Animorphs except they are gentle pacifists despite having a tragically menacing appearance and naturally have their fate decided for them.

Maybe to complicate things the planet the rebels are on could also be a valuable one the republic could lesser afford to lose. It might have imported resources on it or something so we get into a situation where somebody like Tarkin decides its better to destroy life on the planet than to lose the resources or have the citizens turn.

3. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    This is much like my episode idea, even though in that idea there was independent world with oppressor king. Revolutionaries were supported by Dooku and King allied himself with the Republic. And I added Tarkin there as well, king also had personal army of battle droids.:p

So I agree- that would make a great episode.

4. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Honestly TaradoGon's idea should have been the Onderon Arc. =b

5. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Vaguely reminiscent of Jammu and Kashmir. Sounds interesting.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yup, it's a lot better than what we got.

7. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Maybe we should like pool our resources, like run a little fundraiser to do whatever we gotta do to send TaradosGon to become a writer for this show. Just promise me you won't ever write your fake movie into canon TG.

8. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Only 6 days until 'Missing in Action' :D Although it might be 7 days since it's probably aired in America first.

9. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    My fake movie?

10. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Hah, I can tell you a story about this guy who really did get the chance to write for a TV show he was a fan of... and wrote a movie that was a hoax into the canon of that show.

11. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I don't get the impression that the TCW writers get as much freedom as with most shows. Filoni made the remark in his blog that they have many stories left to tell and that every last one of them came from Lucas. I don't think it's Filoni sitting in a room full of writers bouncing ideas off each other. I think it's more Lucas walks in and says something like, "I want there to be several episodes about Force Gods trying to convince Anakin he's the Chosen One, with the evil God trying to leave a planet to conquer the Galaxy. Who wants to write that?" And then the writers all go "1, 2, 3, NOT IT!" and whoever is last to say it, gets stuck coming up with something.

Lucas: "I want an episode about nothing. Nothingness and droids."
    Writers: "Not it!"

Having said that, I would still do it. [face_whistling]

Though I'd probably have to go viral with independently made stories/animations like XJapanRoX to get on the radar.

12. atouchofanarchy

atouchofanarchy Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 13, 2011
    Brent Friedman on a ForceCast said that they basically get told the ideas, then choose which one they want to write the most as their first option, and the have a second option too as a reserve, and Filoni tries to make it so everyone gets what stories they want.

At least that's what I remember, I listened to this podcast ages ago xD

13. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I can't help but feel bad for the poor, poor soul that drew the short straw for an episode about poisoned tea. It goes from me feeling disappointed in the writers for coming up with such crappy ideas, to the realization that they are the victims of Lucas... How the man that did the films can sit down and decide that THAT is a story he wants to see.

cwustudent likes this.
  14. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Rock paper scissors you to trade the Citadel vs poisoned tea Matt?
    Rock, paper, scissors shoot!
    Haha, paper beats rock! You gotta write about tea.

Never understood why paper beats rock. <<;

15. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    That explains the poison tea episode. It was probably that writer's 2nd option (maybe 3rd) and they were bitter about it.

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm getting amusing images in my head of the writers who drew the short straws, especially on this droid arc.

"Dude. You want me to write what?"

17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    They should never force a writer to write something they have no passion for.

If there's an idea that no one wants to do, find someone who does.

18. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    "We need to renegotiate my contract, like now!"

19. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Thats what TV writers, and I dare say particularly cartoon writers, get paid to do. Comes with the territory. There are writers who have written for 100's of different cartoons - I doubt they had passion for every franchise or every idea.

20. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    That's a question that needs an answer.. [face_thinking] You hold up a sheet of paper and I'll throw a rock. :p [face_beatup]

21. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    KenobiSkywalker, How about I throw the rock and you hold up the paper? =b

22. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Sounds like a plan to me.. I already got the box paper. :p
    [​IMG]

hlc88 and AkashKedavra_93 like this.
  23. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Cheater!!!!

24. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I wouldn't be surprised - particularly when it comes to kids shows - that every writer is passionate about it. For some it's probably just a job. Like when it comes to kids shows like Blue's Clues, Teletubbies, Barney, Thomas the Train, etc. They're all being written by grown men and women, some I'd think are bound to have little interest, but still know how to suck it up and make something that appeals to children, even though it doesn't appeal to adults. But even then, I would think that there is a greater collaborative effort. Not every single story idea coming from one guy.

I don't know if that means that they have the rest of the show outlined and that it will end once they reach the end of those stories that Lucas thought up, or if they'll eventually just cut Filoni and the writers loose to do their own thing, which I would think would be better. Some of the writers have worked on very successful shows before. But even the best writer is hampered when some pre-decided poison tea plot comes down the chain to him.

From what I understood, Lucas was supposed to get the show started and then back out. But at this right, he'll be dictating stories until the end.

I'm not to keen on TCW going on for more than another season or two anyway. The time period is largely insignificant since we've seen how it begins and ends, and it's just been beaten to death since 2002. But perhaps after S6 or S7, if they treat TCW like an experiment in how to do a Star Wars TV show, then perhaps Filoni and crew can move onto another time period and be let loose to do their own thing, and Lucas can let them do their own thing and go make those films that he's been talking about forever.

Barriss_Coffee and rumblewagon like this.
  25. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    [​IMG]