main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official "The Clone Wars" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RevantheJediMaster, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Pretty much what has happened is Maul is being use as a new big bad. One difference between Maul and villains like Dooku and Grievous is, Maul is pretty much an OC now and an unknown. Dooku and Grievous are just as held back as Anakin because we know the end. I think the writers feel they have more freedom that way. Then they reused and developed Maul as a threat unlike the various Dooku henchmen we saw who were here one episode and gone the next. TCW handles OCs particularly well and what Maul proves is what wonders a good OC and that tiny bit of unknown drama can do to liven up the show. In all honestly Maul should have been an entirely original character. But again here we are.

I don't know about playing it safe. Dooku is mysterious in AOTC but definately has the bad guy stamp on his forehead. Grievous just seems like the idiot henchman. I agree with you the show needs some bad-centric episodes that focus on Dooku and Grievous if the Separatists are the bad guys. The entire CIS needs exploration. Its apparent from all the debates I see on here there is a whole wealth of characters waiting to be explored to flesh out these so called bad guys beyond just burning peoples villages and starving them. Through their exploration perhaps we could find some good new OCs to oppose the Jedi.

2. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Can someone explain to me why the Clovis arc is potentially pushed back to next season? I don't understand. If this new arc with the weird titles is put in its place, do we have any idea what it's about?

3. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Personally, I think it will be 3 episodes of Maul, 3 episodes of Clovis/Cato Neimoidia/Embo, then 3 episodes of Ahsoka/Ventress/Temple.

All the stuff in the trailer fits into those 9 episodes.

cwustudent, Seerow and TaradosGon like this.
  4. CloneWarsRescored

CloneWarsRescored Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    The Clovis Arc was orginally supposed to be episode 5, 6 and 7 of this season. The arc was pushed back because the Young Jedi Arc was put their instead. (it seemed as Young Jedi was going to be a special and not part of the series.) There has been much speculation since Celebration that the finale will be an Arc that centers around Ahsoka due to comments from Dave & Ashley Eckstein about it being dramatic, shocking and some really heavy stuff goes down in it. After the season 5 trailer came out, several people have put together that Ahsoka is framed for an attack on the Jedi Temple, and is hunted down by Clone Troopers and Asajj Ventress. This seemed to be confirmed by the 100th Episode special trailer. These new titles are based of Alfred Hitchcock movie's and each film title somehow relates to what we know about this arc. :)

JackG likes this.
  5. CloneWarsRescored

CloneWarsRescored Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    But the Ahsoka/Ventress/Temple Arc is four episodes. [face_batting] Unless they hopefully decide to merge the last two episodes into a forty minute episode?

6. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    The Maul arc is 4 episodes, the Ahsoka one is apparently 3, and Clovis is 3.

That means there are 10 episodes left. All previous seasons have been 22 episodes. But 10 more episodes would put this one at 23. Some are speculating that one episode will get pushed back to next season, but I don't see why. Some previous episodes have opened with an hour long back-to-back feature. This season did not. But perhaps the finale will occur in an hour long block or part of the Maul arc will, etc.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That's three too many.

I'm not optimistic about Obi-Wan beating him, as Filoni seems to want to ensure that Obi-Wan is portrayed as so incompetent that he wouldn't beat up 3PO without getting knocked unconscious and having to be rescued by Ahsoka.

I'll avoid a long rant about how ****ing stupid it was to bring Maul back because I need to move on already. But yeah...dude was sliced in half. I don't care what universe it is, that's supposed to be fatal.

8. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    The Maul arc is 4?

I thought it was "Eminence", "Shades of Reason" and "The Lawless"? That's three!

cwustudent likes this.
  9. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013
    I agree completely and think the OCs are far more interesting than the known characters because of just that - we have no idea what will happen to them!

Of course, this is just my opinion but the characters that have unknown futures, I believe have been developed the best and are my favorite characters to watch:

Fives (I know, not in this season:()
    Ventress
    Ahsoka
    Rex
    Maul

Obviously there are some OCs that started being developed well and then just fell off (Brother Brother Brother).

07jonesj and Seerow like this.
  10. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

I'd add Bane, Hondo, Satine and Savage to that list. I still hope for Savage to redeem himself and kill Maul. :)

11. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    The new arc is most likely the big finale arc which is displayed in the trailer so it hasn't been put in its place. Adding in Young Jedi has complicated things...

The thing is we were all assuming that the finale was going to be a three-part arc without actually knowing whether it was or not. It was said that this season would have the most four part arcs a season as ever had. Having the finale as a four-part arc makes a lot of sense with that statement.

What did we know prior to the start of this season? Well we knew that it was unknown whether Young Jedi would air as part of the season or not. Remember out of Celebration it was said at the time that they didn't know when we would get to see it. Other people there said that it wasn't a part of the season. At that point we knew of several upcoming arcs.

We also heard, I believe before that, there would be an episode exploring lightsabers which turned out to be 'The Gathering' in this season. So at some point 'The Gathering' was a part of Season 5, but perhaps not the entirety of the Young Jedi arc was. If we take this into the account, it is theoretically possible to calculate what the season should have included. That would have taken us up to 20 episodes, with 2 to spare, which would have included the Clovis arc if 'The Gathering' had been the only part of the Young Jedi arc to air. It is not so easy to expand a season, more money would have to be paid out. even for an extra episode. Based on the info we know, I think we were looking at a shorter season as a strong possibility.

however, perhaps the reception to the Young Jedi arc at Celebration changed their minds and they decided to include the whole arc instead of just 'The Gathering' which works as a standalone episode, therefore bumping the season number of episodes up to 23 if the Clovis arc was included. CN could have only paid to air 22 episodes. It would cost more for them to acquire an extra episode which they may not be keen on themselves.

I do not believe that the website listing those titles has ever been wrong either (feel free to correct me).

We also were aware that there would be a Clone Centric story this season, which has been pushed back to Season 6 now.

If you think this through logically, and consider all the facts that have been said about this season, then its pointing to a possibility of a 20-episode season with the Clovis arc pushed back to Season 6.

I think its very possible this season was always going to be 20 episodes...

This is a list of episodes that were known about prior to the beginning of the season

Maul x 4
    Onderon x 4
    Clovis x 3
    Droid arc x 4
    Lightsaber episode 'The Gathering' x 1
    Temple/Ahsoka/Ventress arc x 4

= 20 episodes, leaving no room for probably another arc which would be Clone-centric (which is probably a 4-part arc), hence it being pushed back to Season 6. As I said, CN would probably have to pay more money to even extend the season. This is including the info about there being a lightsaber centric episode and when the Clovis arc was still listed.

What we got instead is this:

Maul arc x 1
    Onderon x 4
    Young Jedi x 4
    Droid arc x 4
    Maul arc x 3
    Temple/Ahsoka.Ventress x 4

= 20 episodes, again leaving no room for a further arc, especially if its taken as fact that there were more 4 part arcs in this season then the previous season.

I don't think the team would want to end the season on a big cliifhanger in the middle of an arc meaning that we would have months to wait. Ending the season earlier solves that problem of agitated fans (and children!) wanting to see what happens next. We've got to remember that its likely this season is the last it will air on CN as well before its probably moved to another channel. Disney probably won't be able to rerun previous episodes as CN will own the rights to air them. If they ended this season in the middle of an arc, any new viewers that the show accumulates would then be completely and utterly lost.

With this in mind, it is probable that the Clovis arc has been moved back to Season 6, especially if the show is moving channels.

This is the problem with 4-part arcs. It only allows 20 episodes. And this being a kids show as well, leaving it on a big cliffhanger is just cruel... I am unaware of any major kids show that actually does that. If they are continuing with 4-part arcs for the foreseeable future, unless the episode count is extended to 24, then we are only looking at 20 episode seasons.

My speculation could be wrong... but it does look like to me that there was evidence pointing to a possible 20-episode season from the beginning...

07jonesj likes this.
  12. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012
    And so is being 99% burnt, i.e Vader on Mustafer, yet people don't complain about him surviving those fatal injuries...

You are forgetting 'Revival' that is a part of the Maul arc, making it a 4-parter. It's just been split up to air across the season instead.

13. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013
    Hondo for sure, I guess I agree about Satine...Savage to me has become a disappointment - but I do think they can redeem his character during this next arc. I think he turned from a multifaceted character into a big dumb oaf during the Nightsisters arch (Although I think they're trying to move him forward with the whole seeing Maul as his Brother/Peer - whereas Maul sees him as a servant of sorts).

14. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Airdate-wise, "Revival" lands as the fifth part of the Maul Returns arc, while the upcoming Shadow Conspiracy arc will be a trilogy. Chronologically and production-wise, "Revival" is the first part of a four-parter. [face_peace]

cwustudent likes this.
  15. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    I enjoy Satine as a foil to explore Obi-Wan. That's why she was disappointing in Season 3's duology - Obi-Wan wasn't present. That and "Corruption" was absolutely terrible.

I haven't given up on Savage yet!

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The movies actually gave a good explanation for how and why he survived--the iron lung suit and artificial limbs, especially when adding in the EU aspect of the suit being constructed by the TechnoUnion, made sense.

And he still had his intestines.

There was a poster on the temp boards who suggested that Vader was ****ing women in ANH and ESB. I would find that unbelievable given his injuries. But his survival in the context of his life saving machinery made sense.

Maul's did not. Spider legs do not a colostomy bag make.

17. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Maul survived through the UNLIMITED POOOOOOOOWWWWWWER of the dark side.

18. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Which arc does Sabotage belong to?

I think I mistakenly (?) grouped that with Mauldalore since all the Temple episodes seemed to follow the corny-name-including-"Jedi" scheme.

Then I guess it's

3 Maul
    1 Jedi Temple (may be included with Ahsoka)
    3 Fugitive Ahsoka
    3 Clovis

1 Eminence (Maul)
    2 Shades of Reason (Maul)
    3 The Lawless (Maul)
    4 Sabotage (??)
    5 The Jedi Who Knew To Much (Ahsoka)
    6 To Catch a Jedi (Ahsoka)
    7 The Wrong Jedi (Ahsoka)
    8 An Old Friend (Clovis)
    9 The Rise of Clovis (Clovis)
    10 Crisis at the Heart (Clovis)

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm sure that's what Lucas and Filoni were getting at but I call bull****.

07jonesj likes this.
  20. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    TaradosGon I've actually not heard of that title before now. :p

21. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    I despise Phantom Menace so that's probably why I don't really mind him being brought back.

22. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    They were from here

A couple members have claimed that site is generally reliable, but the Jedi themed names all sound horrible and I'm still waiting for someone to say that it was Super Shadow titles mistakenly believed to be real titles or something... They're really quite bad :p

But there is an episode called Sabotage sandwiched between Maul and presumably Ahsoka arcs.

07jonesj likes this.
  23. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Huh. Yeah... I'm thoroughly confused now.

EDIT: I don't understand. If TCW crew is really 3 seasons ahead, why would they shorten the season by two episodes (presumably)?

24. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012
    I think Sabotage is part of the Ahsoka Fugitive arc and it all begins with the Jedi Temple attack.

07jonesj likes this.
  25. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    I'd rather have 23 episodes in this season than 20. [face_frustrated]

fistofan1 likes this.