main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST OFFICIAL - The Force Awakens Rated PG-13

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ManaByte, Nov 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evetssteve10

Evetssteve10 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 21, 2015
    I love how you think you have seen this movie already.... Are you aware you actually have no idea how much killing or death is in it? Or how the killings look on screen, or how anything looks on screen for that matter.

2. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    [face_plain]

Canyon D likes this.
  3. Merric

Merric Jedi Master star 3

Jan 26, 2013
    Agreed. If it's anything like the past movies, I'd say it'll probably be pretty similar the AotC level with the Tuskin Raider slaughter/Geonosis battle and all.

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

I mean they almost put a PG-13 rating on AOTC because of Jango head butting Kenobi. so they have been watered down for a long time.

5. Vemrin

Vemrin Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 24, 2015
    The extended edition of the hobbit the battle of the five armies is rated R for a small blade going through a giant orc's hand

6. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015
    selling my tickets tbh

Flapjack4 and DashRender90 like this.
  7. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Man, I was hoping for some Chewie + Maz action.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  8. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Y?

9. DarthTedTheodoreLogan

DarthTedTheodoreLogan Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 10, 2015
    The PG-13 rating is essentially meaningless now. It doesn't take much to get PG-13 these days, yet it takes a helluva lot to get an R. If Phantom Menace (PG) or the Matrix (R) were rated today, they would probably both get PG-13. You can't really classify every movie using a 4 rating system (NC-17 doesn't really count, as is practically nonexistent).

Skaddix likes this.
  10. Canyon D

Canyon D Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 17, 2015
    Ratings are meaningless. Some PG movies are darker and more mature then PG-13 movies. They should just state what content is in it and let the viewer decide whether it's age appropriate or not. The suggested ratings are unnecessary.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

11. Vemrin

Vemrin Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 24, 2015
  12. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    I was hoping for a PG rating so as to match the ratings of all but one of the other Star Wars films.

13. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Eh PG-13 is fairly standard for a blockbuster

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  14. DarthTedTheodoreLogan

DarthTedTheodoreLogan Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 10, 2015
    The one about the Hobbit? Yeah... That's just... Why? I'm a childless adult, so ratings mean nothing to me, but, for the sake of others, I wish they were a bit less arbitrary.

He needs the cash to pay the troll toll...

Canyon D, sizziano, B99 and 1 other person like this.
  15. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    I was just thinking. Will the flashback of the massacre where the Knights of Ren kill all of the jedi students potentially be brutal? Or are we just going to see the aftermath of it only?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

16. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    figured as much that it would be PG-13.

17. BobaBacca

BobaBacca Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 6, 2015
    It's PG13 because of the end scene where Luke Force speed blitz decapitates all the Knights of Ren

18. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    If I'm gonna worry about inconsistency, it would be that five of the seven films are shot on film and the other two were shot on digital. But moving on, moving on... *Runs away*

Dra--- and JabbatheHumanBeing like this.
  19. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    Not surprising, but unfortunate.

I was hoping to take my 10 (almost 11) year old nephew to go see it. But now that's it's PG-13, I'm not sure my sister will want him to go.

20. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    I've seen parents taking their toddler to The Martian [all the NASA jargon made them whine of boredom during the latter half of the film (I like the tech talk, btw)] and R-rated movies like The Expendables. You're not a bad uncle if you take your nephew to see STAR WARS.

spaulagain likes this.
  21. NileQT87

NileQT87 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    I saw Titanic when I was 10 in the theater four times. Ahem, there are some scenes in there. There wasn't a single kid in my 5th grade class who hadn't seen it, despite the PG-13 rating. Not a single one.

Certain PG-13 tent pole films have been frequently gone to by even very young children for a long time. Many very notably young kids went to go see the LotR and PotC films if you looked around the theater. The ratings were irrelevant for most parents except the super strict ones with supposedly very sheltered children who actually watch what they're not supposed to at friends' houses. Fantasy violence is pretty tolerated and it's only sexual content that tends to raise flags for parents. PG-13 is the same equivalent of what PG films used to be in the '70s and early '80s.

Raiders of the Lost Ark (one shot was altered) and Temple of Doom both almost got R-rated or were actually censored overseas because there wasn't a PG-13 yet. They're PG in rating, but not in content. Please remember that.

And the original Star Wars almost got rated G (it was a single shot that made it a PG franchise by 1977 standards)! And that hypothetical G-rated film would have included a bloody arm stump, planetary genocide and Han taking the only shot at Greedo. Only very sanitized kid cartoons get that rating today. Early Disney films have content that is pretty damn dark for G-rated fare by modern standards (seen Pinocchio lately?).

sizziano, Skaddix and Import_Jedi like this.
  22. Jason79

Jason79 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Well duh! It wasn't going to be R obviously so kids could see it and PG would be too soft these days. You know unless you're making a movie for six year olds.

23. Trooper100471

Trooper100471 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 20, 2015
    Mixed fellings about this. As much I know I know that most movies of this type will be 12A (I live in Scotland), as a parent of a 5 year old boy who is Star Wars mad I'm not sure he will be able to see the movie on the big screen and that leaves me sad. I suppose it's like the Marvel movies. The toys and merch are aimed at kids of 4 and upwards but they can't get to see the film. To be honest, I don't get ratings. Ok I get the ROTS was a 12A due to the final burning scene but ANH has smouldering skeletons and Darth Vader choking a man to death anf throwing him against a wall and that film is U. Mmmmm....

24. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012

Well there is that but also the fact that the standards have not stayed constant over this time period.

American Ratings have high violence tolerance, low cursing tolerance and low sex tolerance.

spaulagain and Import_Jedi like this.
  25. SimitarLikeTusk

SimitarLikeTusk Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2014
    Are there seriously parents who wont take them because PG-13 is way more wild than PG?
    For christ sake the longer you hide your children for slightly more intense content, the more likely they will grow up to be scared and sheltered weirdos.
    Its the reason why restrictions and ratings wouldnt exist in a completely perfect world.

spaulagain and Howard Hand like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.