main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*OFFICIAL THREAD* Acting in Revenge of the Sith

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by DarthSapient, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Positive words about ROTS from Jabbadabbadoo....

This movie must have something going for it! [face_laugh]

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I thought everybody besides Anakin, Obi-Wan, Padme, Yoda, and Sidious was sub-par, in acting.

So, basically, I thought the acting was great overall.

3. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    Only problem I had with Palps after his confrontation with Shaft/Jules was that his voice was all over the place, it was different in almost every scene.

On the second viewing, I thought that the voice changes made sense. Palps has just been horribly transformed by his own powers...and the dark side energy is still having a strong physical effect on him moments after he sends John "Hold on to your butt" Shaft outside the window. :)

4. Faux-Jedi

Faux-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2002
    Christensen is a 2-note actor. Somber + Angry, and he doesn't do either one very well. He has a tendency to deliver every line with the same monotone emotion and he has absolutely no comic timing whatsoever. He was given some really funny lines but just threw them away...("Your shorter than I imagined, General Grievous.") And you can't really blame the writing anymore. Hammil, Ford and Fisher had the same dreadful dialogue to contend with and they managed to do just fine. I blame Robin Gurland, the woman responsible for finding Jake Llyod. What a hack casting director, had she even worked as a casting director before Phantom Menace?

5. DiscoHamster

DiscoHamster Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005
    When Anakin yelled out to Obi, "I HATE YOU!"...man, emotional scene.

Also, the Anakin/Padme confrontation on Mustafar was plain disturbing. His lust and hunger for power...totally sick...he definitely went off the deep end there...

6. Darth_Desolate

Darth_Desolate Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2005
    The opera scene was by far the best in the movie. man Ian and Hayden did damn good.

7. TrooperCody

TrooperCody Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2005
    Having been someone who hung out here, read the novel, articles, etc, I was spoiled to death when it comes to the story. The one thing that most surprised me was how absolutely FANTASTIC Hayden and Natalie were. I kept seeing "stilted dialogue", "same AOTC acting, maybe just a little better", and so on. I saw nothing of the sort. I saw two people who totally drew me into their drama and had me in tears at the end. Ebert and Roeper spoke of Natalie being the heart center of the film and they were right. She was excellent.

Ewan was fantastic as always. He took it up another notch. Ian McDirmand was absolutely evil.

I rate this movie as the best of the ALL the films and put the acting right up there with the best of the series to this point, which had been Empire.

8. BabaORileyFett

BabaORileyFett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2002
    Simply put, I think this film is Lucas' best directing for performances since American Graffiti.

9. an_mjb_film

an_mjb_film Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2005
    I think the acting was probably better than some of the original trilogy..........now don't get mad. Think about it......Anakin screamin "I HATE YOU!" is so powerful. NAtalie cries every inch of the film. Ewan did great....but my problem was when he saw the security readings I was hoping for him to fall on the ground as described in the novel.....there wasn't enough emotion for me at that part....but I thought that he was a jedi and he has to keep strong....so that resolved a lot with me. Ian did GREAT , the best performance in the saga,Sam did good...just good... his character is described as a bad a$$, does he really need a great performance....think....Boba is a bad a$$ with no acting! HAyden got me during Padme's Ruminations, that tear rolling down his face was first class acting....all the emotions going through him....YODA awesome as always. I though Lucas gavea more human aspect to this film in terms of acting and directing....to inform you guys I'm a film school student(I'm not bragging..hehe) studying all this stuff and this film has it all.... I'm a fan of the cinema aspect of Star Wars not the crazy fan aspect... and I hope this gives you a new look at the acting aspect of Star Wars.

10. Jedihillis

Jedihillis Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2003
    The acting was my favorite thing about the whole movie. I loved all the action sequences and whatnot, but I was just stunned to see how much the acting had improved over the last movie. I still can't believe it's the same cast and crew as AOTC. They reall REALLY sounded good in this one. This movie has more story riding on it than any other in the saga and they handled it extremely well. I've always been a fan of Hayden and I really liked watching him loosen up in this film. One of my favorite scenes was in the Opera Theater between Anakin and Palps. I just loved the feel of that whole scene. OH yeah!!

"I can feeeell your anger!!""

AWESOME!!! [face_hypnotized]=P~

11. Obilieveinme

Obilieveinme Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    that Ian and Hayden opera scene was long and they pulled it off. Good writing and Acting for that to happen.

12. Master_Gallia

Master_Gallia Jedi Padawan star 2

Mar 29, 2004
    feel I must explain banter to those of you who don't get it.

Anakin: "You are so beautiful." - Padme has just been talking about their child, and fixing up it's room, and where they should raise it. I don't know how many of you are married or have ever even had a girlfriend (and if the answer is not many - I can understand why), but men DO tell their wives they are beautiful, especially when they are pregnant (and referring to something as emotional as their impending parenthood).

Padme: "Only because I'm so in love." - I guess George should have put the wink in here or maybe a twinkle in the eye, something for the emotionally retarded, so the fanboyz would get the quirky, banter part. I, however, got it from the look on her face. But I'm older than 12.

Anakin: "No, It's because I'm so in love." - Again, he's being facetious even though he means it and you could tell from his face, too. He's bantering. Look it up in the dictionary.

Padme: "So love is blind?" - She's now joking with him because he corrected her saying she was beautiful because HE was in love. She's insinuating he thought her beautiful only because HE was in love. You know, "love is blind"?

Anakin: "Well, that's not exactly what I meant." - He realizes she's kidding, but she has him in a corner - Kind of like: "Does this dress make me look fat?"

YES!!!! SOMEBODY GETS IT!!! You know, I don't want to fall into using the "SW fans are geeks that have never had a girlfriend in their lives. But sometimes I wonder.....
    Acting is more than dialog. Body language, timing, it all counts.

13. Obilieveinme

Obilieveinme Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    I said to my wife "Is it Ok to say i love you" the first time i said it to her. Man i was shaking like a leaf on a tree.'

I can imagine if Anakin said it the way i did...they would have really ripped him to shreds.

14. Darth_Nitro1138

Darth_Nitro1138 Jedi Youngling

Jan 31, 2005
    I think Hayden's performance was 100% better than AOTC. He put a lot of emotion into it. Natalie had her ups and downs, and everybody else did great.

15. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    The space opera scene was absolutely brilliant. The acting, the cinematagraphy, the atmosphere, the music...all absolutely brilliant.

I thought HC's acting was particularly strong, as well as NP's. Actually, I think everybody did a fantastic job.

IMHO, if people say they have a problem with the acting in ROTS, it's more to do with the "style" GL has defined for SW (old 1930's type acting) than it is with any individual actor's performance. And I for one like the style, because it adds authenticity to the fairy-tale aspect of a story that took place, "A long time ago..."

16. Amidala_Skywalker_

Amidala_Skywalker_ Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005
    I thought Natalie's lines were a little phoned in, but dont get me wrong she is still my favoirtie!!

17. techtalker

techtalker Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    with the horrific screenplay?? I challenge anyone to try to say those Padme/Anakin lines with a straight face. Hell how about saying those lines without upchucking. Brutal. Natalie tries her best to make up for the poor material, as does Hayden and Ewan, in Mustafar, when at last, they got some decent lines and setups. After 2 hours, i was finally moved to care about the characters.

And actually, i didnt think Ewan was consistent throughout the movie. He was fine on Mustafar. But i expected a lot more after viewing the security holograms and finding out that Anakin was a Sith lord.

At least George didnt mess up the Sidious dialogue. His seduction of Anakin came off solid, just like the novel.

And it should be asked...why wasnt Matt Stover hired to do the screenplay?

18. sithscotti418

sithscotti418 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Matt Stover came up with gasrbage like Happy Empie's day? So I'll take Lucas's dialogue. It is as good as your going to get from a star wars film. The love scenes worked for me here. I thought Hayden>Nat were amazing in the whole movie, and with the exception of the dreadful performace ofSam Jackson, the acting in Rots is fantastic. Best of the saga imo.

19. an_mjb_film

an_mjb_film Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2005
    Sam's character is described as a bad a$$ so was boba's....boba had no acting while MAce did....there really haven't been any real bad a$$e$ in SW with the exception of HAn Solo.

20. techtalker

techtalker Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    Have you even read Stover's ROTS??? It is an epic, plain and simple. He takes his time, he doesnt rush things, the insidious waltz between Darth Sidious and Anakin is done leisurely, meticulously, and Anakin's seduction is made as believable as possible. His characterization of Anakin is amazing, the dragon inside him that is his fear, the nuclear furnace heart that drives him.

21. sithscotti418

Feb 27, 2005
    I read it and like it very much, but there are cheesy line in the book as well not just the movie. I'm just pointing it out.

22. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Acting in Revenge of the Sith

Extremely well done. It's STAR WARS and it feels like STAR WARS. =D=

23. Robin_Goodfellow

Robin_Goodfellow Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005
    I would like to know what acting (other than Star Wars movies) you people are comparing the acting in "Sith " to if you have come to the conclusion that most of it was "incredible", "outstading", "fantastic" and so on.

I love Star Wars movies and I really enjoyed "Sith" but c'mon, nearly every actor in the movie (with perhaps the exception of the actor who played Palpatine) was boring, stiff or just plain awful.

Christensen was very very very very very very bad.

If you think otherwise you need to pull yourself away from the tragic made-for-Sci-Fi-channel dreck that you've grown accustomed to.

"Sith" was fantastic. The acting was baaaaaaaad bad bad.

24. sithscotti418

Feb 27, 2005
    I could not disagree with you more. Hayden was fantasic, as was the acting in general, Ewan, Nat, And Hayden were sensational in this movie and Ian was truly an evil sob.

25. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    The best acting in all six movies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.