*OFFICIAL THREAD* Anakin's Origins

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Croco, Aug 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Bazinga'd
  1. Croco Jedi Knight

star 1
    Please do not forward this to other threads since I am mixing several known points here.

All the thinking below originally comes from the attempt to figure out an upcoming major revelation in EP3. We all know that GL creates a strong analogy between OT and PT. There was a major revelation in EP5 (which is supposed to be analogous to EP2): Darth Vader is Luke's father. Luke's analogy is Anakin, and he has no father so forth. But there was nothing on this topic in EP2. In fact I (and many others I am sure) were disappointed by lack of ANY revelations in EP2. That makes EP2 look more like EP6, where we already knew all we need, and just waited to see how would things end.

There is another thing that makes AOTC look like ROTJ: it's the titles. Compare:

A Phantom Menace - A New Hope
    Attack of the Clones - Return of a Jedi
    ??? - Empire Strikes Back

A structure of the titles makes us think that EP3 ought to be closer to ESB in terms of analogy. (This, by the way, rejects the most famous "Revenge of the Sith" which sounds cool by all means but structurally is similar to "Return of a Jedi" and not to "Empire Strikes Back" which must be the case.) I believe there must be active action in the title of EP3 like in EP5, something like "Sith Take Over" but more elegant. I am not a native speaker, so feel free to suggest something.

So, EP3 must be like ESB in terms of revelations and analogy. As we know from Lucas, clone wars end in the beginning of EP3. There will be some battle (remember Hoth). If we choose a straightforward naive analogy, Count Dooku has to be Anakin's father: in the end three of them (Emperor, Dooku and Anakin) get together, Anakin fights and kills Dooku (unlike Luke) and becomes Darth Vader. All remaining Jedi die in some kind of battle at the background. I do not know how DV vs. OB1 duel fits in though. But look: like Ben ghostin ESB Qui-Gon will appear before Anakin and will give him an advice to go learn more from Yoda. But I do not like this much.

On the other hand Obi-Wan may be an analogy to Luke since he is the most dedicated Jedi ever. During the final clone wars battle a phantom of Qui-Gon (or just his voice) will hint him on this being one with the Force thing. Qui-Gon is a direct mentor for OB1 just like Ben for Luke. In this case OB1 vs. Anakin duel fits in better.

Ok, that is already a lot. Hope somebody will read it to the end and will come up with something interesting. :)
  2. Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin

star 6
    OK, but just to be sure we are clear. Anakin does not have a father. :)
  3. darthOB1 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  4. Croco Jedi Knight

star 1
    "It's, like, your opinion, man..." (c) Jeffrey "The Dude" Lebowski :)

He may or may not have a father. I understand that SW is a fantasy, almost a fairy-tale, but I do not like the idea of Anakin not having a father personally.
  5. Bariss_Coffee Jedi Knight

star 2
    Croco, who is Anikin, then?
  6. darthOB1 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Then your going to be highly disappointed !!

Because the fact is Anakin has no father !!!

Sorry!!

:)
  7. Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin

star 6
    A lot of people do not like it. But it is something we have to adjust to. Shmi told us there is no father.

Many people went to McCallum and Lucas in the interviews post-TPM asking about this very plot point and they both confirmed it over and over. Remember the entire "immaculate conception" controversy?
  8. Bariss_Coffee Jedi Knight

star 2
    Basically, I think that Anikin has no father, and that it's the Force. GL probably won't fixate on this in Ep3.

Then again, the EU might go totally haywire after Ep3, and decide to make Anikin have a father despite this. That's when we wonder if the EU is necessarily correct when it tells us Watto is Anikin's dad.
  9. Croco Jedi Knight

star 1
    Again, that may or may not be true. We'll see. And I will not be disappointed if everything is balanced. Just this "no father" magic thing does not fit the almost scientific midichlorian explanation of the Force usage abilities.
  10. obhavekenobi78 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Anakin is the Sun of the Sons. Tatooine has two suns. Draw your own conclusions, and no, it's not that dirty, you sicko.
  11. i_lobot Jedi Knight

star 1
    I see a potential "Anakin's father" bombshell in EpIII. Too much has been made of it. Lucas had to know the "immaculate conception" would be controversial. Also, Anakin has two "Obi-Wan is like a father to me" lines in AOTC. (Two? Maybe it's three...)

I don't imagine the whole thing will suddenly be dropped in EpIII.
  12. Croco Jedi Knight

star 1
    If no father, there must be some comparable revelation. Can anyone think of a possible candidate?
  13. DarthCanary Jedi Knight

Btw, Anakin has no father (confirmed indeed?) or may this be in a "certain point of view"???
  14. Croco Jedi Knight

star 1
    All we know is Shmi word about that: "There was no father. I can't explain what has happened." But it can be a mind trick or something else.
  15. darthOB1 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    GS pease lock this!!!
  16. obhavekenobi78 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    We also have the prophecy and the lines in ROTJ and PM where you can hear the words "Son of the Suns".

17. Croco Jedi Knight

star 1
    Anyway, the disscussion I would like to see is not about Anakin's father but about the similarity between the upcoming EP3 and ESB (not ROTJ), and what could follow from this.

Any thoughts?
  18. Bariss_Coffee Jedi Knight

star 2
    Someone gets tortured like Han in the Carbonite -- only whoever it is doesn't come out alive?
  19. Croco Jedi Knight

star 1
    Exact repetitions would be annoying. And Han being frozen in carbonite does not look like a major plot point to me. I do like Han very much but he is not the main hero and he is not a Jedi.
  20. Bariss_Coffee Jedi Knight

star 2
    I didn't necessarily say carbonite, but perhaps something along similar grounds. The idea of torturing the hero is what I was getting at.
  21. darthOB1 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Ok how bout Plo koon being tortured until the air sacs on the side of his head explode!!
  22. Bariss_Coffee Jedi Knight

star 2
  23. Croco Jedi Knight

star 1
    Torturing a hero is probably the only thing we can be confident in. All episodes have plenty of it. :)
  24. i_lobot Jedi Knight

star 1
    What about Padme being used as bait? I know this has long been discussed elsewhere. It would parallel Leia and Han being used to bait Luke in ESB.
  25. Croco Jedi Knight

star 1
    I like that. There must be a traitor like Lando then.
Moderators: Bazinga'd
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.