main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*OFFICIAL THREAD* Anakin's Turn to the Darkside.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by That_Wascally_Droid, Dec 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scuiggefest

scuiggefest Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    The one moment where Anakin turns completely is probably when he gets angry and for one moment loses control and does something evil and then there's no turning back. The something evil is probably killing a jedi. As a result he becomes a wanted man and if he wants to live he has to kill more jedi.

Or the killing might be an accident.

WINDU: Anakin I'm sending you and Obi-Wan to take out Palpatine. He's the Sith Lord.

ANAKIN: I thought he was a good man! I'll get him for this.

*Anakin and Obi go to kill Palpatine*

OBI-WAN: Anakin drive carefully! You almost hit that guy!!

ANAKIN: Sorry master! I'm just angry at the Chancellor. He's been lying to me.

*he smacks the controls angrily*

BEN: Anakin!! You just smashed the brake mechanism!

*they bail and the car smashes at full speed into the senate building taking out half the senators*

BEN: Now you've done it! Why haven't you learned to control your emotions?

*Anakin runs for it the guards are coming after him they arrest Ben*

Then Everyone will believ Anakin took out the senators on purpose and alll the jedi and clonetroopers will pursue him and he'll be forced to kill them.

(note: I typed up this post for another and when I hit the post button the thread had dissappeared. Does this happen often?)

2. DanVader

DanVader Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 31, 1999
    Here are two quotes referring to Anakin's conversion to the Dark Side:

"In this film, you realize, it?s more about Anakin making the wrong choices. He?s given a glorious moment by George -- I?m so happy with part of the script -- where he truly has to make a choice. In the end, I think that?s a smarter way to go than a slow transformation. It?s more tragic this way." - Iain McCaig

"The scene where Anakin does actually become Vader is pretty good. I mean, I like it. It?s a little in the vocabulary of?I don?t know how much I want to give away?but it?s in the vocabulary of a time ? of the 1930s and 1940s. It?s a pretty neat little thing, I think, and hopefully it?s going to work." - GL

What to make of this? It seems as if there is one sharply defined event that triggers Anakain's transformation. As for the Lucas comment, I imagine he is alluding to NAZI Germany. But I have no idea what specifically he could be talking about in terms of Vader. Could he be referring to a scene where Anakin, on a rostrum in front of an adoring crowd, is announced to be Darth Vader? As the hero of the Clone Wars? I am just speculating.

3. Shadeleader

Shadeleader Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 25, 2003
    i think that palpatine will give anakin a choice, i.e. give yourself to the darkside or i will destroy your wife and son. he will choose to turn out of love for padme and his son, who he's never seen. of course, now he can't bring himself to confront her again, so he never knows of the twins. i agree, though, that padme's eventual death will drive anakin fully over the edge. perhaps he fights obi because he feels that obi allowed padme (and his child) to die. so there we have it: anakin has sacrificed himself to save a family that he couldn't save anyway. and thus when he sacrifices himself for his son, it mirrors his fall.
    apologies if this has been said before.

4. olpbrandon07

olpbrandon07 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 25, 2003
    Well we know a couple of things for sure...that it will be a choice...and that it will be tragic

but I ask this...If Anakin makes a choice out of love for Padme' does that take away from the character of Vader...and would people watching the movies in order and the rest of us think that Vader is the evil bad guy...I think that no matter what the choice is...we as the audience need to think that there is NO HOPE for Anakin/Vader...he needs to become the evil bad ass that he is in the OT...As much as I like Anakin's character in the PT...I feel as if I need to see Anakin make a choice and be set on his pure evil ways...that at the end of ep3 I should have disgust towards Anakin

5. Shadeleader

Shadeleader Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 25, 2003
    regardless of why he chooses the way he does, he'll still do some despicable deeds, don't misunderstand me. all i'm saying is that anakin's great capacity for love will be his damnation and eventually his salvation. in between he sinks to tremendous depths.

6. Master_Akwat_Kbrana

Master_Akwat_Kbrana Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 16, 2001
    Hmm. I can think of a few things that might anger him enough to go to the darkside.

1) Jar-Jar
    2) Popup ads
    3) Jock itch
    4) 1337 5p34k3rzZ!!!!!!111~!~~~
    5) lag on an MMORPG
    6) Microsoft Windows

Just to name a few...

7. Starbelly

Starbelly Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    Padme's first boyfriend, Paolo.

8. Jowebee17

Jowebee17 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 16, 2003
    It is quite obvious that there is no one single thing, but rather a building up of multiple problems. GL definitley does enjoy parralels and I think I have one that may play in. In ROTJ Luke comes somewhat close to the Dark side in his fight against Vader. The emperor in the background during the fight persuading him with thoughts...such as: " You're hate has made you powerful" "Use your aggressive feelings boy"..Can you all not see the exact same scenario with Anakin. Obviously he has hate, and obviously used aggressive feelings when he took out the sandpeople. I feel he untimately will not have control over these type of feelings; we have already seen him struggle with it. He will give in totally to anger, aggression and hate, and with the persuasion of Emperor Palpatine he will become evil....i.e. Vader!

It is just a matter of how and in what order Lucas lays out the events that push him over, he is already well on his way.

I think a fun one might be for Obi-Wan to have a love interest with Padme, although I can't see GL putting something like that into the story.

9. Darthoffski

Darthoffski Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 2003
    Posted this in a now defunct thread, so here it is again...

Remember, the emporor knew, as Ben did, that if Anakin were to have any offspring, they would be a threat to him.

Chances are that Anakin will know Padme is pregnant, Palpatine will also know, but to protect himself, will order the killing of Padme. She will have already given Birth by the time the hit happens, but neither palps or Anakin will know.

Anakin, already having displayed hints of what will make the galaxy fear him and probably having already sided with palpatine over the jedi, goes almost insane with grief and anger, and the target of his rage will be the jedi, who he will hold responsible for the deaths of his mother, his wife, and from his POV, his unborn child. Also, the truth about him being the chosen one has never been fully explained to him, and he will believe the jedi betrayed him by not teling him the entire reason for his being trained as a jedi, plus he will believe if they had, those he loves would still be alive.

That would do as a reason to turn me to evil, if I thought everyone I loved was dead and people I trusted had kept information from me that would have saved them.

And I'd use the 'feeling betrayed Skywalker line' 'Why Didn't you tell me?' when confronting my teacher who I trusted completely from the age of 9 until my late teens, early twenties.

10. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Anakin has been interacting with a pregnant Padmé many, many times on Hyperspace. He knows all about her pregnancy. ;)

11. Darthoffski

Jul 13, 2003
    Exactly, so for story continuity to work, he must believe the child(ren) is/are dead.

12. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    That, or he never witnesses them being born.

13. Darthoffski

Jul 13, 2003
    But, considering he later becomes obsessed with finding young skywalker, continuity would not be achieved if he already knows his son to be alive.

14. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    He learns of his existence and identity after ANH but before ESB. No continuity problem there.

15. Shadufkin

Shadufkin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2003
    Personally, I want to see the character of Vader remain a truly bad guy, and not the "nice guy forced to do bad things out of love and a good heart" that has been suggested many times on this board. I hope Anakin makes his choice because of intense emotions - anger, despair, anguish, revenge, etc... but I hope it is a true turn to darkness. Along the same lines, I hope he isn't tricked. If he blames Obi-Wan for something bad, and that fuels his turn, that's fine, but if he blames him for something that he didn't do, but Palps lies to Anakin about it, that would also make the villain weaker IMHO.

I think we can feel sorry for Vader (know that he snapped bacause something(s) truly tragic happened to him), without thinking of him as anything other that one of the coldest, meanest, most powerful monsters in the GFFA.

my 2 cents.

16. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    McCallum and Lucas have been quoted on a number of occasions by saying it is a distinct choice and exact moment he decides to turn.

17. Darthoffski

Jul 13, 2003
    And I think he'll turn when reasonable of mind, believing he's making the right choice, and that the vengeance will come later, when the ramifications of his decision start to spread.

Oh, DS, the continuity thing I was refering to was for ep3, he knows padme's with child, but if he isn't convinced the baby is no more by the end of the film, it could weaken continuity overall. Unless we are led to believe that he will be searching for his son from the end of Ep3 onwards. But I think it'll be a stronger tale is his despair is absolute and he becomes a monster because there is, he believes, nothing left for him.

18. StevenofGilead

StevenofGilead Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 23, 2003
    My 2 cents:

First of all, I think turning to the Dark Side isn't like jumping off a cliff (falling at once), but more like sliding downhill little at a time.

Secondly, we should look at eps I and II also to understand Anakin's turn. In AOTC, I think, he's already well on his way. After slaughtering the Tuskens he's not far away from saying he hates Ob1.
    Anyway, the following is what I have forseen. In the clone wars Anakin leads some clones from battle to another. Palpatine repeatedly demands better battle performance from Anakin. Palpy encourages him to unleash ALL his powers orwhatever.. to destroy enemies, and convinces him that it'll help winning the war. ("All the other Jedi are weak, Ob1's holding U back, you'll be the most powerful ever without this light side crap "). Anyway, after some battle on a planet full of volcanos, Ob1 confronts Ani. He sees that not only Anakin has won the battle, he has slaughtered every enemy, including those taken prisoner, surrendered etc. They argue, Anakin tells him he much rather takes orders from Palps(afterall he is the leader of the "good guys"). What happens then, we all know.

This is the most reasonable stuff I could come up with. What thinks you all? A thought? Anyone? Truly wonderful the mind, of a fanboy is.......

19. wookiehere

wookiehere Jedi Youngling

Nov 8, 2002
    All of these theories are great. When Anakin is completely turned to the dark side I would love to see sidious dub him darth vader before he is disfigured. A duel between obi-1 and Vader as a human that looks like skywalker in a cool leather costume and vader helmet. after near death on the lava planet a mechanical monster vader purges the jedi as ben yoda and skywalker twins scatter.

20. MasterDeacon

MasterDeacon Jedi Youngling

Sep 29, 2003
    I think Anakin knows she is pregnant..but being away from her...maybe she's hurt or is dying...maybe palps clouds his mind and Anakin can't feel her in the force..the pain he feels of her loss only strengthens his hate..maybe palps makes him think the Jedi had something to do with it..maybe the Jedi couldn't protect her..maybe Anakin feels her pain and asks palps to help him to stop her from dying..but tragically can't help her and FAILS..AGAIN..I don't know, just some thoughts

21. louie1674

louie1674 Jedi Youngling

Sep 23, 2003
    I see something similar to what happened in ROTJ. The scene is when Luke is on the ground being zapped by the Emperor... Vader digs deep and makes a choice to help his son.
    In epIII, i believe in similar circumstances he turns on the jedi to protect what palpatine stands for.

22. LORDTERONUS1

LORDTERONUS1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 24, 2003
    THE DEATH OF PADME WILL BE THE FINAL STRAW.HE WILL SOMEHOW BLAME OB1 AND PALPS=SIDIOUS WILL HAVE SMETHING TO DO WITH IT. I THINK THE DUEL WILL COMPLETELY SEAL HIS FATE.

23. MasterDeacon

MasterDeacon Jedi Youngling

Sep 29, 2003
    Anakin meets with Palps about a disturbance he feels in the Force..

Anakin: Chancellor..something troubles me..I worry about Padme..I need your guidance.

Palps: I'm always hear to lend an ear to a good friend..tell me. What troubles you?

Anakin: I've felt a great distrubance, sir! I can't understand it..I feel empty!

Palps: What have I always told you..trust your feelings...search the force!

Ask Anakin closes his eyes and searches the force..Palps intervenes and clouds Anakin's mind..

Anakin: I...I can't feel her

Palps interjects feelings and disturbing images of Padme's lifeless body

Anakin: NO!! NOOO!!

Palps: As you can see...your Jedi friends could not protect her..even your beloved Master Kenobi left her to die!

Anakin: NO..Lies..it can't be..Obi-Wan would never..

Palps: He would never what?! He would never allow you move on? to love? He always dissaproved of your actions..he never trusted you!

Anakin sobbing..." he promised me"..tears slide down his battle ridden face..

Palps: He promised many of things..my young apprentice..but I can promise you one thing..I can promise you the power to save her..to bring her back to you..all you have to do is give in to the power of the darkside!

Anakin: I can't! I am a Jedi!

Palps: Of course, you can be like your Jedi friends and accept her death...so sad..I feel foe the un-born child in her womb!

Anakin: What!!??!?

Palps: Oh..you didn't know..my, my..what I shame..but your friend and master Obi-Wan knew! He did not tell you? Another secret he kept from you..another part of live he didn't want you to do!

Anger building up inside..as the tears dry away and anger fills his heart...

Anakin: Where is Kenobi?!

Palps: I believe he is at the Jedi Temple.

Anakin: I'm going to find him.

Palps: Wait..you're not powerful enough to challenge Master Kenobi..only with the Power of the Darkside can you beat him..I can give you that power, Anakin!

Anakin: You say I can save her? I can bring her back?

Palps: You can do anything you want..even defeat Master Kenobi..I feel your pain Anakin..I feel the hate..embrace it..give in to you feelings..but you must truly give your heart and soul to the darkside!

Anakin: Anything for Padme! Anything!! padme..my child...KENOBI!!!! I hate him!!! I hate them all!!!

24. JJPayday

JJPayday Jedi Youngling

Oct 2, 2003
    Maybe this is a bit "off" for this thread, but I was just going through some fact pages at starwars.com and saw that Wat Tambor will return for episode 3. Reading about him, I found there was some similarities to Darth Vader (the suit and all). My guess is, that Anakin gets injured during some fight or lava pit, and THEN is taken for "reassembly" at the Techno Union. here he undergoes some kind of brainwash. He is weak and unconscious, so some hypno-subconscious babble would make him wake up and say, Hey, I'm evil, and I LIKE IT!!! Well, at least I think he's "repaired" by some guys at the Techno Union.

25. Holocron_Collector

Holocron_Collector Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2001
    Thought I'd repost this here, where it REALLY belongs. ;)

I think the people who are waiting for something big to turn Anakin to the darkside and a mass-murderer are going to be sorely disappointed. Anakin doesn't need anything huge to push him over, he's already teetering on the edge.

He makes the choice to side with Palpatine and kills Mace. That's it. After that, it's one bad choice after another, because, as Anakin sees it, it's too late to go back. Remember Yoda: " Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. " The Mace murder is his crossroads.

Fear is the main emotion that drives Anakin. This was set up in TPM with Yoda and the council. Anakin was afraid to lose his mother. It was further explored in AOTC, as he became afraid to lose Padme. Also, I think after the Tusken slaughter, Anakin feared answering for his actions. He knows he has done something terribly wrong, and can not forgive himself. Just look at him after the confession, he's disgusted and ashamed for what he had done. And afraid.

Now in, Episode III, when Anakin kills Mace, perhaps he does it partially because he fears Palpatine. And after, he is going to be afraid to answer for his actions. It's like someone who runs from the cops and gets into worse trouble, they just don't want to get caught, so they keep running and breaking the law, it's all they know to do.

Once Anakin kills Mace, in his eyes, he can't go back. He's a murderer, a traitor, an outlaw of the Jedi. What is he supposed to do, walk up to Yoda and Obi-Wan and say: " Ok, I'm sorry, I killed Master Windu, but I really don't want to be evil, so please, I 'll just turn back to the lightside now. "

No, he FEARS being caught and being brought to justice. He probably also knows that at this point he will never be able to go back to Padme, and is essentially going to lose her.

Anakin has also failed his mother even though he promised he wouldn't ever again, he has failed his test and chosen the darkside. His whole life is unraveling before his eyes.

Remember FEAR as Anakin's main driving emotion, and you can see why it is so easy for him to choose the darkside and let it dominate him. Fear leads to anger, anger to hate, etc. But the one thing that Anakin DOESN't fear is the darkside. He likes the power it gives him. He feels safe.

Anakin doesn't need a huge event to drive him to the darkside. He is so afraid that just a little nudge will send him running to it.

HC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.