main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*OFFICIAL THREAD* "CGI in the Prequels" Discussion

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by G-FETT, May 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    I've never accepted the argument that the CGI had overwhelmed the story. If that had been the case - well, for me - I would not have become a fan of the PT. And if there is one thing I have to say about the PT is that it had an excellent story.

2. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Dark Jedi Kenobi
    CGI technology helped Lucas create the universe that he had always wanted to create, but I do agree that it was a bit overused in the PT.

One part in AOTC where I think especially applies is the clonetroopers. I remember reading how Ben Snow, ILM's supervisor for the Geonosis sequence, asked George over and over if they could build just one suit and then comp that same trooper over and over into the same scene.
    Or even to use that one trooper in closeups and for lighting purposes.
    George wouldn't budge and instead had them as all-CG guys. They are very good, but don't quite cut it IMHO.

Sometimes, the reason you have these great artists at ILM is so you can listen to them.

3. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    That was one CGI detail I never quite understood. It obviously makes sense for crowd or war shots but I don't see the harm in having a practical suit as well.

4. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I agree completely. I have said the same thing many times myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.