main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*OFFICIAL THREAD* Chewbacca in Episode III!

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by zombie, Apr 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    The OS confirmed it: chewie is episode III. Check out the official site for the full announcement.

personally, it seems contrived and unnecessary but as 3p0 says, it'll be "nice to see a familiar face". I'd much rather see Tarkin--would connect episode III to IV much smoothly than Chewie. I guess it depends on how and where he is used; anything less than a brief cameo would seem out of place, if you ask me.

heres the link:

full announcement

2. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    Classic Characters Return for Episode III

[i]Episode III will further connect the Star Wars saga, bridging the prequel trilogy to the original trilogy in new and surprising ways. As such, familiar faces and places will return in this new Star Wars film, which is currently in pre-production.

Reprising their classic roles from the original trilogy are actors Peter Mayhew, Anthony Daniels and Kenny Baker. They return to Star Wars as Chewbacca the Wookiee, C-3PO and R2-D2.

"I'm delighted to return as Chewbacca," says Mayhew. "I think his re-appearance in this film is a fitting way to tie the whole saga together, especially for Wookiee fans." Given that Chewbacca is a sprightly 200 years old in Episode IV, he is more than old enough to fit into the prequel timeline.

Daniels has played See-Threepio in all of the Star Wars movies. In the original trilogy, he squeezed into the tight confines of the golden suit to play the prim and proper protocol droid. For Episode I, he leant his vocal talents for an incomplete version of Threepio that was realized as a puppet. In Episode II, he returned to the costume, donning an earlier and less polished iteration of the droid's familiar form.

Though the role of R2-D2 has become increasingly automated since the very start, it's been a Star Wars tradition to include Kenny Baker as the heroic astromech droid at some point in the movie. Baker was essential to the early Artoo seen in A New Hope, when limitations in remote control and computer technology required a person beneath the dome to bring Artoo to life. Having Baker inside the suit has brought "an element of humanity" to the classic character, Director George Lucas has said. [/i]

3. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    HURRAY!!!

let me be the first to ask what he's going to contibute to the movie?

IJG

4. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    edited to include url to full story.

5. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    Close the other one.

6. Emos-Edud

Emos-Edud Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    I predict Jar Jar will have a line about not being able to understand Chewie's strange manner of speech.

7. Luke_SW

Luke_SW Jedi Master star 2

Apr 13, 2003
    I don't see any legitimate reason to have Chewie or Han in the PT, considering they were nothing more than smugglers and pilots for hire until Luke and Leia brought them into the rebellion

8. dehrian

Mar 18, 1999
    Depends. Chewie's been around a lot longer than Han. It could work, if done right. They just need to be smart about it. Don't do it just to do it. Do it if you actually have a good idea about how to do it.

9. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    OMG! Sidious = Chewbacca!

I'm glad for Peter Mayhew. I don't know if I'm glad for Star Wars, but that will have to wait until I learn how Chewie fits into Ep 3.

As for people saying "What About Tarkin (etc)"? There's still a good chance, I reckon. It's not like they would be using Cushing (if he were alive) to reprise his role, and this article is about returning Actors, not necessarily returning Characters.

10. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    Well having the droids in Ep.3 was a neccesity. What I really wanted was Tarkin. Oh well, I am looking forward to seeing the Wookie again. :)

11. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    i hope its not like some dumb background thing

I think he should atleast contribute to the story in some memorable way. You know that people who havent seen the OT would come away from this movie knowing who chewbacca was

IJG

12. robot120

robot120 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jun 30, 2001
    Is it possible that Obi-Wan already knew Chewbacca in the cantina? I think so.

13. TIE34567

TIE34567 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 7, 2002
    Hey, great news that Chewie will be back. I'm all for a cameo, but I don't want to see him be an integral part of the story. Maybe he'll be in some scenes with the rumored M. Falcon.

14. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    aww man i was just about to say that about obi wan knowing chewbacca.

but yeah. why did obi wan go start to chewie? there were alot of other pilots in the catina but he went straight to chewie.

makes ya think maybe they do know each other.

15. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Its good to see Mr. Mayhew back in as our favorite Wookie in Episode III. Although the role won't be much more than a brief cameo, to just basically say, "hey look, its Chewie!!!", it will still be neat to have him back.

Mr. Mayhew is a very nice man too. So he deserves it.

16. bbmac041072

bbmac041072 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 22, 2002
    Does anyone get the feeling now that all the events that happened in EpIV were pre-planed by Obi-Wan and Bail Oregana. And they seem to involve not only R2 but now Chewbacca as well.

It always seemed to be Chewie who was all for it and anytime Han got "cold feet" so to speak it was Chewie trying to get Han to reconsider or show his displeasure at least.

Obi-Wan also new that Luke would be ok with Han and Chewie and that these were the guys to go with. I mean really would you trust the "only hope" of the galaxy to just anybody unless you knew them, or at least one of them.

17. DarthSiren

DarthSiren Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    Makes you wonder if we'll be seeing a little Han Solo action don't it?

18. YodaJediMaster12

YodaJediMaster12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 26, 2002
    Hurray... Chewie is going to be in the PT! I hope he doesn't just have a spot cameo, but I also agree with the people saying he should not have an integral role in Ep3. Perhaps he could be a Republic citizen who rebels against the stormtroopers when they start controlling things (or something of that nature).

But the idea of having him and Jar-Jar in a scene together is great. :)

19. DarthDug

DarthDug Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 7, 2003
    "Grrrowwwwrrrrkkk"!!!

hmmmmm....Obi-Wan knew Chewbacca in the Cantina during EpIV? Very interesting. Very interesting indeed.

The part I don't understand is that I thought Chewie was saved from the Empire by Han, and therefore had a life-debt with him. So...will Chewie be a slave. Will we see Kashyyk (sp?) as a new planet? Man...this just opens up a whole new slew of crap to contemplate.

And I'm STILL hoping for Tarkin!!!

20. DarthToeJam

DarthToeJam Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    We know the Empire enslaves the Wookies. Perhaps we will see this as part of Palpatine's take over of the galaxy.

Or perhaps -- and how cool would this be -- Chewbacca fights in the Clone Wars with other Wookie pilots! Since this was George's original idea for the ROTJ battle, perhaps this is yet another old idea he is returning to. That would ROCK! Chewbacca piloting his own fighter?! Hell yeah!

21. dehrian

Mar 18, 1999
    Obi-Wan did not go straight to Chewie in the cantina. Remember? Ben first approached another pilot, and that pilot indicated he should talk to Chewie, and stepped away.

22. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > why did obi wan go start to chewie? there were alot of other pilots in the catina but he went straight to chewie.

I thought he went to Bo-Shek, who subsequently took him to Chewie?

But I admit that he did look like he knew the Wookiee when they met in the Cantina. Though the chances that GL had any 'prequel notion' and directed that Ben & Chewie were to act familiar with one another is pretty much nil, I'd wager.

23. han_solo_321

han_solo_321 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    I knew Chewbacca would be in Episode 3!

24. robot120

robot120 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jun 30, 2001
    Yeah, your idea about the events in Episode IV being pre-planned by Obi-Wan and Bail Organa is very interesting indeed.

Obi-Wan: (into comlink) I'll meet you at the rendezvous point on Tatooine.

25. bbmac041072

bbmac041072 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 22, 2002
    Obi-Wan did not go straight to Chewie in the cantina. Remember? Ben first approached another pilot, and that pilot indicated he should talk to Chewie, and stepped away.

Maybe he was looking for Chewbacca and the pilot took him to him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.