main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*OFFICIAL THREAD* Death Star & EpIII

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Shank_the_Wookie, Jan 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hartter

Hartter Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 9, 2004
    I intially thought that the Trade Federation core ships would be fitted with miniature Death Star Cannons and swarm all over the place. Guess not.

2. darth_trc

darth_trc Jedi Youngling

Jul 4, 2004
    my two cents...

not sure if it's been mentioned before, but has anyone else noticed the similarity between the TF core ships and the Death Star - you basically only have to add a laser and it's practically the same - only on a much smaller scale.

also, with regards building the DS, it really couldn't take all that long. Yes, it takes a long time to build things (re: pyramids) etc on Earth, but the problem we face is that of manpower and gravity. It might take several thousand slaves several hundred years to build a stone pyramid, lifting each bloack into place, using levers and pulleys etc. But try picturing several hundred medium/large spacecraft pulling pieces into place - it would probably be much quicker. The majority of the work would be from the interiors, and to be honest, the thing wouldnt have to be fully built for that to begin - droids could work on it quite easily whilst it is in an incomplete state.

with regards to the weapon being ready etc - we all know that the first firing of the laser weapon is at Alderaan, so we're not going to see anything like that. However, this doesn't mean the laser couldn't have been ready for years. Remember Tarking telling us in ANH that the last remnants of the old republic/senate had been dissolved (or something to that effect)? Maybe the reason that it hadn't been tested before then was because the senate was the last real means via which someone could oppose such an outrageous move. This would tie in episode 1, and the comments made about "the republic/senate will never allow it" (i forget the exact quote and person who made it). so once the senate and last remnants of the republic have been removed, the opportunity is there to test the weapon.

and (sorry to go on), you also have to remember that there are different definitions of "finished". the death star must have been completed for a while, as indicated in ANH, the stormies seem very at home there, know their way around. there is already procedures and policies in place in the prison/cell areas (where Han and Luke try to bluff their way in). plus, it would have taken quite some time to transport such a large force of people there, so the 'doors' must have been open for at least a little while.

in conclusion, i'd say there's a fair chance we'll see something that was probably at least a quarter of the way finished cmopared to DS2 from ROTJ. probably no laser though, or people living on it yet.

sorry to ramble for so long - just thoughts and ideas.

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    And - phooey - Bothans stole those plans for the rebels in ANH. I don't care what the EU says.

The title crawl said Rebel forces got the plans, so I doubt it was the Bothans. They're a spy network.

4. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    "The geonosians are builders and construction workers. You get the idea that they were contracted to build the Death Star.
    So, all the time Jay and Silent Bob are talking about all the workers who died on the Death Star, in the end they were really a bunch of giant termites."

------------------------------------------------
    Obi-Wan: "That's no moon. It's a space station!"
    ================================================
    Vader: "You should not have come back."
    ------------------------------------------------

The moon orbiting Mustafar... the Geonosians excavate the moon while simultaneously replacing its structure with molten metal from the planet below. The excavated moon matter could also be transferred to Mustafar for smelting.

The symbolism of death and birth: Mustafar is nourishing the development of the Death Star, as an expectant mother does her baby, via an umbilical cord. Mustafar and its moon could be connected by a bridge that's symbolic of an umbilical cord.
    (and of course, the DS's dish could be its belly button :p).

The twins are born, yet Vader has a new child on the way he'd prefer to tend to.

The audience does not see what is happening on the other side of Mustafar until our heroes leave the planet.

5. Condawn

Condawn Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 26, 2003
    The death star plans are in Episode 3 and Anakin even sees them in Palpatines office. I wonder why it takes so long to build it, do the rebels sabotage the Empires plans on a regular basis?

6. Darth Sin

Darth Sin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 14, 1999
    I think the construction of the Death Star is delayed until close to the time of ANH.

I believe the Death Star was a backup plan in case Palpatine's plans did not go as he had planned, and that being him becoming the Emperor by overwhelming acceptance by the populace.

I believe if he had not gained total power after the events of the Clone Wars, he would have had the Death Star built so that he could take over the galaxy.

But things go as planned, the Separatist are defeated, the Jedi are seen as traitors, and the Senate, along with the general populace believes Palpatine should have total power to rebuild the Republic(turns into Empire though)in the aftermath of the Clone Wars. He basically is seen as a type of hero/saviour, and so the people willingly give him total power.

So with all potential foes vanquished, the Death Star plans are put on hold until the rebellion is formed and becomes a threat to his power.

Darth Sin! :cool:

7. new_jedistarfighter

new_jedistarfighter Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 26, 2004
    I hope in Revenge of the Sith that they show at least a hologram of the DS. I don't know about Obi-Wan seeing it though. It could be a neat idea.

8. Darth-Dogfish-Head

Darth-Dogfish-Head Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2004
    I would imagine we'll see more of the Death Star than what we saw in TPM, maybe construction, but much less completed than ROTJ.

The Death Star(s) were created by Palps to strike fear into the galaxy, it was said that's how he planned to rule after he dispanded the senate. Even one of his own leaders was shocked to hear he ended the senate. If the rebels knew that was his plan then I think you're right, that's basically what they were fighting for, the return of democracy. The Death Stars were a dictator's tool to surpress democracy.

9. -Hank_Scorpio-

-Hank_Scorpio- Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 7, 2004
    I'd love to see the soon-to-be Empire's doomsday device in action. I'll take some pointers.

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The death star plans are in Episode 3 and Anakin even sees them in Palpatines office.

Uh, prove that would you?

11. Darth_Otaku

Darth_Otaku Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2004
    Here's another crazy theory: Mustafar doesn't start off as being volcanic, but the Seperatists have a proof-of-concept prototype orbiting Mustafar, and they test the Superlaser in the middle of the Ani/Obi duel. It would have to be a weaker version of the final laser, and it would be on the other side of the planet so as not to kill either heroes. The shot causes the planet's geosphere to become violently unstable (a la Genesis Planet from Star Trek 3).

12. riccrez

riccrez Jedi Youngling

Oct 12, 2004
    ok i just want to say that u are all retarded. if any of u actually watched AOTC you would remember in the scene on geonosis when dooku and the sepratist leaders are looking at a tactical map of the battle between the droids and clones, the geonosian leader said: "im sending my warriors to hide in the catacombs, the jedi must not find our plans for the ultimate weapon." and he goes to a small console, and a holographic image of the death star appears and he dumps it to a little handheld computer, which he gives to dooku, who sais "i will take the designs with me to courouscant, they will be much safer there with my master." and he brings up the image again on the handheld. if u dont belive me about the geonosian, turn on the subtitles for the translation.

13. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    You might want to rephrase that, riccrez. Calling people retarded is generally considered a flame and is not a good thing.

14. hitmbig

hitmbig Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 6, 2004
    After giving it much thought, I think the only DS we will see in the film are the plans again or a word or too about it.

I would love to see a skeletal structure or the firing of the laser that sends Mustafar into Genesis mode. We will have to see.

15. SnakePlisken

SnakePlisken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2002
    To me it's looking like were going to see the Death Star in RotS, but it's not going to be central to the plot like it was in ANH. It making an appearance does give some connection to the OT, it wouldn't make sense to show it in AotC and have it missing in the next movie. Here's the unofficial and official tidbits:

[link=http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/tfn.cgi?storyID=22460&webTV=on]EP3: SPY REPORT: Final Darth Friday II[/link]
    [link=http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/tfn.cgi?storyID=22460&webTV=on]Fri, Oct 31, 03 04:08:05 PM EST[/link]

[i]- Expect one of the final shots of the film to be Vader, Tarkin and Palpatine on a Star Destroyer bridge looking out onto space at the beginnings of a Death Star in progress...(but not necessarily THE last shot of the film...) my understanding of the last shot before iris out will be on Tatooine.[/i][hr][/blockquote][blockquote][hr][link=http://forums.starwars.com/forum.jspa?forumID=78]Celebrity Talks and Schedule[/link]
    John Knoll - 7/17/03 - 5:30 pm PT

[i]When asked about the elevator lobby set, John Knoll replied:

[b]Well, it's not the Death Star. [/b][/i][hr][/blockquote][blockquote][hr][link=http://forums.starwars.com/forum.jspa?forumID=78]Celebrity Talks and Schedule[/link]
    Pablo Hidalgo 8/28/03 3:30p.m. PT

[i]When asked about the total body count in Episode III, Pablo Hidalgo replied:

[b]If this is a veiled way of asking if Naboo gets destroyed, I can answer no to that.[/b][/i][hr][/blockquote][blockquote][hr][link=http://forums.starwars.com/forum.jspa?forumID=78]Celebrity Talks and Schedule[/link]
    Pablo Hidalgo 9/3/03 4:30 p.m. PT

[i]When asked about the importance of the Death Star in Episode III, Pablo Hidalgo replied:

[b]Not really. The tale of the Death Star is really the focus of Episode IV, as it should be. Episode III has more important stories to tell. [/b][/i][hr][/blockquote][blockquote][hr][link=http://forums.starwars.com/forum.jspa?forumID=78]Celebrity Talks and Schedule[/link]
    Ryan Church - 9/5/03 1:00 p.m. PT

[i]When asked if much of the action in Episode III would take place near the Death Star, Ryan Church replied:

[b]Not too much.[/b][/i][hr][/blockquote]

16. SnakePlisken

SnakePlisken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2002
    Found this old story that is somewhat interesting ... they called it 'gossip' so take it with a grain of salt:

[link=http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/tfn.cgi?storyID=18627&webTV=on]The End of Episode III[/link]
    [link=http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/tfn.cgi?storyID=18627&webTV=on]Mon, Nov 04, 02 03:14:31 PM EST[/link]

[i]Apparently Lucas has mooted the idea of having a semi-hopeful ending on EIII. How would that be possible you ask? Something big is being built (the audience would know it as the Deathstar) but unlike the one in ROJ it is far from operational. The original group of Rebels attack it and blow it up. This actually begins the Rebellion - I'm supposing that this is after the Jedi are disbanded. The Rebels go into hiding immediately after that. [/i][hr][/blockquote]

17. babymouseinzehaus

babymouseinzehaus Jedi Youngling star 2

May 13, 2002
    Well one of the very first set shots on the webcam contained something that looked like the door from the deathstar, ie the one that closes behind Luke and Leia before they swing across to the other side.

If anything, it would be a shot at the end of Episode III showing it under construction, maybe it will be a quarter of a Death Star, I dunno, and it will probably just be a matte painting.

18. Darth_Nitride

Darth_Nitride Jedi Youngling

Nov 16, 2004
    ok i just want to say that u are all retarded. if any of u actually watched AOTC you would remember in the scene on geonosis when dooku and the sepratist leaders are looking at a tactical map of the battle between the droids and clones, the geonosian leader said: "im sending my warriors to hide in the catacombs, the jedi must not find our plans for the ultimate weapon." and he goes to a small console, and a holographic image of the death star appears and he dumps it to a little handheld computer, which he gives to dooku, who sais "i will take the designs with me to courouscant, they will be much safer there with my master." and he brings up the image again on the handheld. if u dont belive me about the geonosian, turn on the subtitles for the translation.

I Totally Agree. You wont see anything that resembles the death star, other then the plans for it

19. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    ok i just want to say that u are all retarded. if any of u actually watched AOTC...

Ah. Yes.

But, some of the Mustafar sets resemble the DS decor, Pablo refuses to comment on if sections of the DS are being built/will be seen in ROTS during the Duel, and it's *rumored* (non-confirmed) that the Geonosians have started work on the DS in secret and that we will see prefab bits of it as the Duel progresses. Thus...

20. GeneralGaulivant

GeneralGaulivant Jedi Youngling

Nov 9, 2004
    I think the Separatists are actually discussing about building the Death Star on Mustafar. I could be wrong though.

21. Force-Keeper

Force-Keeper Jedi Master star 5

Jun 16, 2004
    Well everyone I thought I would bump this up here because it has been confirmed by Josh and Motee that the Death Star will be in ROTS.

I?m sure that not much of it will be complete but it does spark some new conversation.

22. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    This is just the beginning...

Sector Governor Tarkin, Darth Vader, and Emperor Palpatine stand on the bridge of a Star Destroyer.

In the distance, the growing skeleton of a spherical battle station, the size of a small moon, begins to take shape...

I think that puts an end to the debate!

23. Darkenedsuperman

Darkenedsuperman Jedi Master star 1

Oct 14, 2004
    Yeah it was on the Hardcopy on MF.com 12/18/04

So Im guessing its considered "Confirmed"

Some guessed this would happen others swore it never would I guess May 19th will have most if not all our answers.

Regarding the 1st DS construction taking 20yrs and the 2nd DS taking only 4yrs (give or take) GL made some comments (on the OT DVD ANH)that should put most of the bickering to rest. The DS was not supposed to be have been blown up in ANH, GL added that in to give it a more climactic finaly. In GL's original story (which we know he cut into 3 portions) the DS was blown up in ROTJ. So don't beat yourself up trying to figure out how one was supposeably built in 20 and the other in 4, because there was never suppose to be a 2nd DS to begin with, but GL needed it for ROTJ so he wrote it in. One of the few plot holes GL figured we could deal w/ since it can go both ways. Some have pointed alot of valid points which prove it could have been built, while others have also given valid points that it doesnt make sense. But the most simple answer is the correct one, GL changed the story around a bit.

24. LordSilvertouch

LordSilvertouch Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2003
    Maybe they were building two all along, because the Emperor knew some farmboy who used to shoot wamp rats back home would come along and see an unscrewed plate over the exhaust trench.

25. patico74

patico74 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2003
    death star was pratly complete in rotj prob would of been 4 more years to have it complete.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.