main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*OFFICIAL THREAD* Death Star & EpIII

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Shank_the_Wookie, Jan 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithDudeFIF

SithDudeFIF Jedi Youngling

Nov 15, 2004
    Maybe the Empire was going to create more than just one Death Star to have. Maybe the 2nd one began construction a few years after the first, if in RotS, we see the beginings of the first Death Star. Maybe they were making it a normal rate but the Emporer needed it done sooner because of the whole first one being blown up. Thus, he would get angry for it not being on schedule and such. It seems perfectly reasonable to be an explanation. And its not really that hokey and would add to the whole fearing the Empire thing. That whole strength in numbers thing.

This might also lend a little more credibility to all of the death star-esque stuff that showed up a little too many times in post RotJ EU.

2. 2TTech

2TTech Jedi Youngling

Nov 21, 2004
    I would love to see the Death Star play a role in this movie. Planning stages etc...Seeing the Hologram of it at the end of ATOC was for me one of the most pleasing moments and tie-ins that I've seen to date. Not to mention the fact that I don't recall one spoiler of it before I saw ATOC.

The one area I would like explored a bit better would be the fact that when Dooku takes the plans from the leader of Geonosis (sorry don't know his name!). The Geonosian says something to the effect of "If they find out what "WE'RE" planning. Making me VERY curious about that whole thing.

3. ___Obi-1___

___Obi-1___ Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 19, 2004
    If they find out what "WE'RE" planning. Making me VERY curious about that whole thing.

It seems they'll start building it on Mustafar, so that's the reason the CIS has a fortress there...

4. SithDudeFIF

SithDudeFIF Jedi Youngling

Nov 15, 2004
    Since it is also possible (as seen in the trailer) that the Geonosians seem to be on Mustafar. It all makes some sort of sense.

5. streetad

streetad Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2005
    Maybe the second Death Star wasn't a REAL Death Star at all - the Emperor only needed the Rebels to BELIEVE it was a new Death Star so they would be lured into attacking it. For this purpose it wouldn't need anything like the systems of the original DS, it wouldn't even need to move. Perhaps it was just a big hollow shell with weaponry and targeting systems? That could be built significantly more quickly than a self-contained world which has to move around through hyperspace.

Just a thought!

6. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    No, because that is speculation based on nothing said in the movies . It actually goes against qwhat is said. A good explanation should not have to do that.

It's possible that the death star reveal is bogus.

Remember, early insiders told us we would see young Han Solo and the origins of the Falcon. An Early spy report had a relative of Lando helping Yoda.

The Death Star reveal was one of the earliest spy reports. It is possible it has been dropped. It's not even in the summary for the RotS novel and we haven't heard anything further on this in a LONG time.

7. Eye_Oiner

Eye_Oiner Jedi Youngling

Jul 19, 2004
    I started a new thread for this, but I figure I should play by the rules and post it here as well......enjoy....

http://www.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=7161484&imageID=48240688&Mytoken=20050117092902

http://www.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=7161484&imageID=48237524&Mytoken=20050117093702

There you go my friends. The Death Star appears to be alive and well and in physical form in Episode III.

8. Chaachi

Chaachi Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 3, 2004
    That pic is old new's,could be death star or some kind of probe droid.

9. saltyjedi

saltyjedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 29, 2004
    I don't think GL would show the plans for a death star in AOTC and not have any more reference for it in ROTS. It will appear in some form or another.

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    "We added this sequence, and because we added it, I came up with the idea of adding a little schematic of the Death Star in here because the Geonosians build robots and build things they?re sort of construction workers, they would be the ones that are contracted to build the Death Star."
    --George Lucas

It was a last minute decision and now, Lucas will apparently follow up on it in ROTS.

11. Newbie_wan_Kenobi

Newbie_wan_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2004
    ...what I wonder is how - if they follow some peoples scenario of vader, palps and tarkin watching the construction of the/a deathstar - will they simultaneously show that it is under construction AND still recognisably a deathstar? If it is supposed to be DS1 from ANH you'd think that they would have hardly started it and the scene would just look like the 3 looking at a bunch of space junk.

12. Force-Keeper

Force-Keeper Jedi Master star 5

Jun 16, 2004
    Well for anyone that follows the films they should be able to understand what the sphere like object getting put together in space is going to turn out to be later on. I?m sure they will mention its name if there is to be a scene like that too.

13. DarthTrudie

DarthTrudie Jedi Youngling

Dec 27, 2004
    It actually makes sense to see at least a foundation or frame for the Death Star in Ep. III.
    Why? Because the empire isn't as massive as it was in and ANH or ROTJ. They only had access to a few construction workers, and the clones had to do all the fighting to take over the galaxy so building something like a Death Star would take 20 years. Assuming there were even more clones, and that the empire had control over enough systems to force its inhabitants into forced labor, building a second Death Star in only four years is very possible.

14. Darth_MaulRat35

Darth_MaulRat35 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 16, 2003
    DarthTrudie, I totally agree.

I think that Sidious would have immediately started construction on the Death Star, even though he would have to use a small crew, do it in total secrecy and take years to build it. There is no telling what could happen during the transformation to the Empire, so it would be important to start work on this "technological terror". Think of it this way - if all goes right, he can speed up construction and have the DS. If the empire meets some resistance in the 20 years between RotS and ANH, then at least Sidious would have a WMD being constructed in secrect. That way, if early rebels did overthrow the Empire, he would be able to break out the bad news and take control back by force (not the Force, just force).

I also think that it may be foolish to think that the Death Star took 20 years to build. It might have taken 4-5 years, but was kept under wraps while Sidious used other means to gain total control. By the time the Death Star was used, the GFFA was already in complete terror of the Empire. A perfect time to bust out the DS and dissolve the Senate.

Gosh, I'm sorry if this is a rambling incoherency.

15. jango1134

jango1134 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2004
    "I don't think so. Death Star was completed just prior to ANH (remember in ANH when an officer comes and tells Tarkin that all the systems are operational and asks him what course should they set). The second Death Star took at most 4 years to build (mostly), so I don't think that they'd be building the first one throughout 20 years or so."

Just a theory of mine, but a good one:
    The first Death Star was huge. It would take quite some time to build ANYTHING the size of a small moon from scratch. I'm sure most of you are familiar with the Empire's policy of always having a backup or something like that. Always have a second.

I've heard that the Emporer started building the second Death Star BEFORE ANH. Like right in the middle of the first one's construction. Plus, the second one could also be built quicker because they knew how to do things they didn't know before because of the first Death Star, trial and error type thing.

The only reason the second Death Star was so vunerable to attack was because it wasen't done being built yet. If it was done, the hole the Falcon went in would be covered up. On the second they also put thousands of tiny tiny thermal exhaust ports all over the surface of the Death Star to correct that problem. In short, the second Death Star would've been twice the size, twice as powerful, and nearly invincible.

The Emporer also wanted to make more Death Stars but died before this could be accomplished.

16. Renegade_Light

Renegade_Light Jedi Master star 1

Jan 8, 2005
    One of Darth Vader's lines from the beginning of ANH may explain why it took so long to build the first Death Star - 'There will be no one to stop us this time!'.

This line of dialogue suggests that the Empire's plans have been thwarted in the past. Perhaps the Death Star project suffered from a number of saboteurs over the years, delaying its final construction.

17. Darth_terror2005

Darth_terror2005 Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2005
    This station is the ultimate power in the universe. I suggest we use it.

18. Renegade_Light

Jan 8, 2005
    What about the Maw installation and the Death Star prototype?

19. DarthVengeant

DarthVengeant Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    There will be NO CONSTRUCTION Of the Death Star in Episode 3. It looks like more people dont PAY ATTENTION to the movies, as usual.

Between Episode 3 and Episode 4 there is about 20 years...it doesnt take 20 years to build it. Hence, NOPE..no Death Star!

To keep the conversation going is just rediculous, like most of the topics here now.

20. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Look at the side of the eu novel "Jedi Search." It has a wire frame of the DS prototype.

21. Force-Keeper

Force-Keeper Jedi Master star 5

Jun 16, 2004
    I believe we've been told by Josh that the Death Star is in ROTS. It won't be anywhere closed to being finished but you have to remember what really made the Death Star so hard to complete and why it took so long, the super laser.

22. SkinnerFlint

SkinnerFlint Jedi Youngling

Jan 27, 2005
    The plans are already there at the end of EP2. With all the other technological developments sapping manpower, money etc, between EP3 & 4, it is conceivable it would take 20 years to build.

23. Renegade_Light

Jan 8, 2005
    DarthVengeant - Ternian/Motee has confirmed that the Death Star construction is in the last shot of 'RotS'.

24. Jack1138

Jack1138 Jedi Master star 5

Jan 8, 2005
    Interesting. I think we could see 2 being built, one much further along in construction than the other. It would be kind of cool I guess, but I'm looking forward to other aspects of the film much more! :)

25. Vad3r

Vad3r Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2004
    The FIRST Death Star was apparently the size of a small moon.

The SECOND Death Star was small enough to orbit a moon (Endor) and seem small in comparison.

There is a size difference. That is why the second DS took so short to build.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.