*OFFICIAL THREAD* Death Star & EpIII

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith' started by Shank_the_Wookie, Jan 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ARCTrooper220 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Something I don't understand is.
    In the beginning of ANH the Death Star is brand new and the Empire wants to take it for a spin.
    Supposedly at the end of ROTS, it is beginning construction. Why does it 19+ years to build the 1st Death Star, when only takes about 4 to build the 2nd which was larger and more powerful than the first?
  2. DarthBot Force Ghost

star 3
    Becuase the first of anything takes longer. You have to work out all the details and the parts. The first B-52 bombers and aircraft carriers took much longer to build than subsequent models, as well as computers and a lot of things. It's a matter of learning the first time and then figuring it out to make it better the second time.

Besides if this detail is what is keeping you from enjoying the saga, then people are focusing too much on the details and not the big picture.
  3. HL&S Magistrate Emeritus

star 6
    Probably because they've never built a moon sized space station that is able to destroy entire planets before. Considering it takes a couple years for us on Earth to build a skyscraper, I'd say they're pretty efficient in building such a thing in 20 years.

As for why it only takes about 4 years to build half of the second, they learned from previous trial and errors. They new exactly how to build the thing. By knowing exactly how to build it, they cut the production time in half. Basically it probably would have taken another couple of years to finish the second one.
  4. Jack1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    HookLineAndSinker just said it all!! My thoughts exactly! Thanks, now I don't have to post a reply! :D

OOPs, just did!
  5. Archmage2087 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Also, the first Death Star was built in secret, then unleashed.

The second was deliberately made not-so-secret, and ROTJ shows that they were hurrying to finish it, whereas the first wasn't a rush job in the same way.
  6. RammsteinFanatic Jedi Padawan

First rule in government spending: why build one when you can have two at twice the price?
  7. Stonestorm Jedi Knight

OK, I've searched through this thred pretty well, so far I've seen no mention of it. (I'm still trying to find this 'spoiler' people are talking about on here).
    Well, over in the offical E3 pictures thread, on page 92, there's this:

http://img193.exs.cx/img193/2630/ep3ia91259r4uq.jpg

Take a look over Nute's right shoulder, and tell me what you think...
  8. Carnotaur3 Jedi Knight

star 3
    "The second was deliberately made not-so-secret, and ROTJ shows that they were hurrying to finish it, whereas the first wasn't a rush job in the same way."

And even if they did not have the capabilities to destroy a whole planet (which is probably why the first one took soooo long) by showing it operational, it would still strike fear and lead others to the conclusion that it could still destroy planets.
  9. Darth_Solo_05 Jedi Padawan

Hi all, I haven't been able to read every single post in this, or any of the PT Death Star threads. However I was thinking, given the fact the destruction of the Death Star isn't mentioned by any character in ESB, or any information about the state of the Empire or its plans, that the Empire was always going to build a second Death Star? ESB centers on Vader trying to get Luke, ESB is Vader's personal little side story. The Empire seems to thrive on more, more! More stromtroppers, TIE fighters, Destroyers, Walkers. Why just have one Death Star to enfore tyrannical rule over an entire galaxy. The first DS could even have been just a prototype.

For the ppl that hope to see the ANH DS in EP3, construction mite well start at the end of, or during that movie (I personally doubt it tho) And the second DS couldve been started in between ep 3 and 4. Palps seems to have always had a 'get out of jail free card' or a '2nd chance draw' when he's needed it. The Alliance tries it's hardest to destroy the first DS, only to find out a bigger, badder version exists!

Regardless, we need to see some schematics, 3d holograms (remember Dark Forces PC :)) or a mention somewhere. A young Tarkin would be nice too.

Darth Solo 05.
  10. ImperialBA Jedi Knight

star 2
    "Hi all, I haven't been able to read every single post in this, or any of the PT Death Star threads. However I was thinking, given the fact the destruction of the Death Star isn't mentioned by any character in ESB, or any information about the state of the Empire or its plans, that the Empire was always going to build a second Death Star? ESB centers on Vader trying to get Luke, ESB is Vader's personal little side story. Why just have one Death Star to enfore tyrannical rule over an entire galaxy. The first DS could even have been just a prototype.

For the ppl that hope to see the ANH DS in EP3, construction mite well start at the end of, or during that movie (I personally doubt it tho) And the second DS couldve been started in between ep 3 and 4. Palps seems to have always had a 'get out of jail free card' or a '2nd chance draw' when he's needed it. The Alliance tries it's hardest to destroy the first DS, only to find out a bigger, badder version exists!"

This must be your first post. It just smackes of newbiness. But you answered your own question.

First of all, the reason why nobody in ESB mentions the destruction of the DS is because there is no point of it. ESB takes place several years after ANH, so by that time nobody really cared enough to discuss the DS. They were far too busy running away from Vader.

The Empire was going to build a second DS regardless. If the first DS was never destroyed, why not have two of them? And have one bigger and more powerful? That way the Emperor could really further his grip on the galaxy. If two planets on either side of the galaxy were giving him problems, jsut send the two DS to both planets and finish the job.

Secondly, the Emperor knew that the only way to draw out the entire rebel fleet, along with Luke was to give them something that he knew they couldn't resist. A second DS under construction, not yet fully operational. He knew that the rebels would take the bait.

Could the second DS started construction between 3 and 4? It's possible. But I doubt it. Building the first DS took a lot of the Imperial treasury to build. I believe that the Emperor would want to make sure that the DS worked before beginning work on another. If the first one didn't, then he had a second DS that he wasn't sure would do much better. So probably after the first DS was destroyed, the Emmperor decided to construct a bigger and better version that didn't have the weaknesses of the first DS. The first mention of this takes place in SotE. Beyond that it's pure speculation.
  11. hitmbig Jedi Youngling

star 5
    People are forgeting that the DSII was not even completed yet. It had at least a couple of years left of construction and then some length of time after that to work the bugs out and test drive it. So you can't say well the DSII was built in 3 or so years because it was not even close to being done.
  12. YTMND Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Also,after you build a proto-type and the first of it's kind,it is easier to mass produce.

Don't you all know anything about military aviation and naval hardware?

Anyway,I think the Death Star will be revealed as a giant Goatse at the end of Episode III.
  13. starwarsagent Jedi Youngling

star 5
    2 months ago, i said the death star would be in rots and over 100 people said i was stupid and this and that. now people see some picture and all the sudden change their mind. ugh.
  14. YTMND Jedi Youngling

star 5
    SWA,I have always said I thought we would see it.
  15. hitmbig Jedi Youngling

star 5
    YTMND and I have been saying for months that it will be shown. Is there a new pic? Not the Gunray shot with the hologram in the background is it?
  16. Darth_Solo_05 Jedi Padawan

"Hi all, I haven't been able to read every single post in this, or any of the PT Death Star threads. However I was thinking, given the fact the destruction of the Death Star isn't mentioned by any character in ESB, or any information about the state of the Empire or its plans, that the Empire was always going to build a second Death Star? ESB centers on Vader trying to get Luke, ESB is Vader's personal little side story. Why just have one Death Star to enfore tyrannical rule over an entire galaxy. The first DS could even have been just a prototype.

For the ppl that hope to see the ANH DS in EP3, construction mite well start at the end of, or during that movie (I personally doubt it tho) And the second DS couldve been started in between ep 3 and 4. Palps seems to have always had a 'get out of jail free card' or a '2nd chance draw' when he's needed it. The Alliance tries it's hardest to destroy the first DS, only to find out a bigger, badder version exists!"

This must be your first post. It just smackes of newbiness. But you answered your own question.

"First of all, the reason why nobody in ESB mentions the destruction of the DS is because there is no point of it. ESB takes place several years after ANH, so by that time nobody really cared enough to discuss the DS. They were far too busy running away from Vader."

The point i was trying to make was that perhaps the reason why neither Vader or Palps mentions the loss of the Death Star (as being a big deal or a hindrance) is because they were always going to build another one. And because the building of the second DS didnt affect the Luke/Vader/Rebellion situation it was not mentioned. It doesnt seem to me the DS was constructed to destroy the rebellion, but rather to control everyone else, and prevent any more seperatist factions from forming. Palps later realised he couldnt destroy the rebellion WITH the DS, but rather by releasing the NEWS of the DS2's construction. In turn Luke would also come out of hiding for the ROTJ confrontation (solving Darth's ESB woes)

"The Empire was going to build a second DS regardless. If the first DS was never destroyed, why not have two of them? And have one bigger and more powerful? That way the Emperor could really further his grip on the galaxy. If two planets on either side of the galaxy were giving him problems, jsut send the two DS to both planets and finish the job."

I agree, that's what I would do and definitely what Palps would do. Build as many as he can to maintain total control.

"Secondly, the Emperor knew that the only way to draw out the entire rebel fleet, along with Luke was to give them something that he knew they couldn't resist. A second DS under construction, not yet fully operational. He knew that the rebels would take the bait."

Tru that!

"Could the second DS started construction between 3 and 4? It's possible. But I doubt it. Building the first DS took a lot of the Imperial treasury to build. I believe that the Emperor would want to make sure that the DS worked before beginning work on another. If the first one didn't, then he had a second DS that he wasn't sure would do much better. So probably after the first DS was destroyed, the Emmperor decided to construct a bigger and better version that didn't have the weaknesses of the first DS. The first mention of this takes place in SotE. Beyond that it's pure speculation."

With SotE being EU does that factor in here at all? Anyway judging by your post we seem to agree on everything except ESB issues and the timing of the two DS's construction. I was hinting that maybe both were being constructed during the period between ep3 and ep4. The great thing about forums is that sometimes discussing stuff id more fun that seeing the finished product. Hope I'm not beeing to much of a newbie!
  17. DarthVengeant Force Ghost

star 3
    "Ternian/Motee has confirmed that the Death Star construction is in the last shot of 'RotS'"

that is worth nothing to me
  18. Dark_Father Jedi Knight

star 2
    Of course it'll be in EPIII. They're not throwing it around in AoTC and Rots for no reason.

It's the perfect ending, something that will tie the end of RotS right into the beginning of ANH when we see the DS for the first time. Those that don't think we're going to see it, just doesn't understand the use of irony and viewers feelings in film making. It's purpose will be the tie and induce an awe in the crowd so make them all come full circle in the saga.
  19. EwokThatCried Jedi Master

star 4
    It really is quite that simple and I'm not sure why people are protesting the Death Star.
  20. YYZ-2112 Jedi Master

star 4
    Well why build one when you can build two? If a small shot of death star plans are shown in some fashion in EP 3, then whos to say that the plans don't call for building 2 Death Stars. I mean why not? If I was ruling the galaxy I would certainly do it so I could have one on each end of the galactic Empire.

Besides if one gets destroyed its a good idea to have a failsafe. Anyway it would have to take a very very long time to build one or there would be dozens of them littered throughout the empire.
  21. Rebelpancho Jedi Knight

remember before the ending of episode IV
    someone said -there will be no one to stop us this time-
    refering to the deathstar finally destroying the rebellion so it makes sense, someone will stop the empire in episode III from using the deathstar to destroy the rebellion.
  22. Rebelpancho Jedi Knight

and also at the beginnig of episode IV, Leia is escaping with the plans for the Death Star, and Vader was after her, and in the teaser trailer you can see Treepio in the Tantaive IV the ship that Leia was when she is captured.
  23. Jedi_Monk Jedi Master

star 3
    You know, if the Death Star shown in SW3 is at about the same stage of development as the onw in SW6, then they could reinforce one another. Instead of people asking "Why did it take them 18 years to finish the first Death Star when the second was half-built in 3..." Anyway, instead of people saying that, they'd just think "Hey, the second Death Star still has about 15 years to go before it's finished..."

Then again, everyone should remember that the second Death Star was both the Emperor's lure and the trap for the Rebellion. So instead of trying to build a real Death Star that could go all around the galaxy and defend itself, they just built a superlaser and threw other stuff onto it to make the Rebels think "that thing can't possibly be operational" (which IS what they thought). Instead of building a tank, the Empire just built the cannon portion.

There are plenty of reasons why the DSI took so long to build and the DSII (appearantly) didn't...
  24. Alfinius_Whitmere Jedi Padawan

give the palps some credit, he ordered a massive clone army in secret, maybe the geonosins only have part of the plans. Perhaps the emp. had plans spread out. palpatine loves putting the pieces of a puzzle together and this seems right up his alley.
  25. Emperors_Royal_Guard Jedi Knight

star 1
    ok dont kill me but the dialoge could go

*a shot of a starting death star, vader and papitine on the bridge of a star destroyer*

Vader: we are on seculdual
    Papitine: good
    Vader: it will take 20 years to bild this my lord
    Papitine: then so be it

i know im not the best dialoge writer but i could work
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.