main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*OFFICIAL THREAD* Death Star & EpIII

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Shank_the_Wookie, Jan 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. original_trilogy

original_trilogy Jedi Youngling

Mar 15, 2005
    Doesn't anybody else remember seeing the Death Star plans in the end of EP.II? It's in the background quite a few times while Dooku is in the catacombs with the Geonosians and Poogle the Lesser gave the plans to Dooku to take to the Emperor. So if we saw the plans in EP.II, why wouldn't it be shown or mentioned again in EP.III? It is important enough to be in there.

2. J-Skywalker

J-Skywalker Jedi Youngling

Feb 1, 2005
    There is a small picture in the "Making of" ROTS book that I believe is from the visual script or something of that nature of The Emperor, Tarkin, and Darth Vader standing on the bridge of a star destroyer overlooking the skeletal frame of the DEATH STAR.

I don't know if its been posted in this thread or anything because I haven't look so if it hasn't just say so and I'll scan it and post it.

3. theBluePhoenix

theBluePhoenix Jedi Master star 3

Jan 4, 2001
    It seems to me that the easiest way to explain the difference in the time to build the two Death Stars is this: We don?t really know that the Death Star we see in ANH is the same one that we see at the end of ROTS. There may have been problems, major setbacks or even an accident that destroyed the first Death Star. The Death Star in ANH may be a second or even third prototype.

4. Ominous

Ominous Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2004
    Here is what happened. They were testing the laser on the Death Star but forgot to build in the rocket thrusters to offset the laser beams recoil. So when the laser was fired, the Death Star was shot into another Star system and never recovered. Therefore a new Death Star had to be constructed.

Other possible explanations:
    The first exploded during test firing.
    They forgot to install bathrooms and started over.
    It was not a perfect sphere.
    The laser did not destroy the planet, but instead created new life.
    When they fired the main weapon, a pole shot out of the Death Star with a flag rolling out that said BANG.

5. Force-Keeper

Force-Keeper Jedi Master star 5

Jun 16, 2004
    theBluePhoenix posted on 11/4/03 10:57am
    It seems to me that the easiest way to explain the difference in the time to build the two Death Stars is this: We don?t really know that the Death Star we see in ANH is the same one that we see at the end of ROTS. There may have been problems, major setbacks or even an accident that destroyed the first Death Star. The Death Star in ANH may be a second or even third prototype.
    [hr][/blockquote]

There were no problems, setbacks, or accidents. The Death Star we see under construction in ROTS is the same one we see in ANH. So why was the second one built quicker? Easy: The Empire had all the experience under their belts from the first one; they applied that into the construction of the second one. They knew what they were doing, what extra things needed to be done in order to make this one better, what tools to use, and ext. The answer is simple, it's experience.

6. Jedi_Master_Grover

Jedi_Master_Grover Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2005
    Maybe they problems with the union, like strikes and thats why it took 20 years to build.

7. Ominous

Ominous Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2004
    Force-keeper, I believe that your response is the most plausable. Also take into account that when Vader's shuttle lands on the DSII, he gets excuses from Jerrodd (sp?) about working as fast as possible. Vader tells him that he can find new ways of motivating them.

8. Darth_Caliginous

Darth_Caliginous Jedi Youngling star 2

May 7, 2004
    Other possible explanations:
    The first exploded during test firing.
    They forgot to install bathrooms and started over.
    It was not a perfect sphere.
    The laser did not destroy the planet, but instead created new life.
    When they fired the main weapon, a pole shot out of the Death Star with a flag rolling out that said BANG.

[face_laugh]

9. Darth_Lee1974

Darth_Lee1974 Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2005
    Has anybody read the book yet???It is in the book...At the end it says that Vader and Palpatine are looking at it through a viewport on their ship after the reconstruction on Anakin...And duh it is going to take years to build...I just hope Lucas put it in the movie but as I said it is in the book

10. Padmes-Lips

Padmes-Lips Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2005
    I would prefer not to see a Death Star of any state in ROTS. It will kill my suspension of disbelief.

11. Tyson

Tyson Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 8, 2005
    That scene is going to make me jizz all over my pants.

12. kermit101

kermit101 Jedi Youngling

May 13, 2005
    havent read all the replies but in ANH when vader is fighting obi-wan he says "you should not have come back" hmm did he mean to the death star or just "not come back" in general?

i'd love it if they fought on the DS in ep3 :)

13. Jedi_Master_Grover

Jedi_Master_Grover Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2005
    He mean't come back out of hiding.

14. trojan21

trojan21 Jedi Youngling

May 13, 2005
    I thought you see the plans of the death star very briefly in episode 2....

15. Ryuji

Ryuji Jedi Youngling

Nov 26, 2003
    I have a picture of both death stars from episode III both beside eachother, one is larger and more of a skeleton structure and the other is smaller and a little more completed. I'll scan it and post it here in a few minutes.

16. DarthScubbles

DarthScubbles Jedi Master star 4

Sep 15, 2004
    It looked like only one in the movie...

17. Ryuji

Ryuji Jedi Youngling

Nov 26, 2003
  18. aphexous

aphexous Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    wait...why is this topic 3 years old?

19. Ryuji

Ryuji Jedi Youngling

Nov 26, 2003
    The topic is 3 years old because they won't allow to start to new one.

In the movie i could only see one death star too which is why i thought it might be a deleted scene.

20. BothofUs

BothofUs Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    2 Death Stars in RotS??

"I don't think so."

21. Master_Bumpy

Master_Bumpy Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 9, 2001
    After thinking about that final scene with the Death Star, what makes us this this took place right after ROTS?

GL could have been showing us a scene from anytime between ROTS and ANH. Looking back on the OT Naval uniforms of the bridge crew, this might be the case.

22. poodookoo

poodookoo Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 24, 2004
    Okay, y'all, my two cents:

What we see at the end of ROTS is merely the FIRST in a long line of prototypes of the "Ultimate Weapon".

It kinda figures that with a project of that size, it's gonna take a hell of a lot of testing and tweaking.

With that in mind, I don't think 19 years is an unreasonable time to go from the barely-begun shell we see at the end of ROTS, and the fully operational battle-station we see in ANH.

Seems like the most sensible answer to me...

23. NICHOLAS_SKYWALKER

NICHOLAS_SKYWALKER Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2005
    could someone please post a screen cap of the death star in rots, from the movie? thanks.

24. TheCat

TheCat Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    Why is it assumed that the death star takes 20 years to build?. Maybe it was built within a decade and the emperor was waiting for the optimum moment for it to make its appearance. The rebellion was not a sufficient threat for years (we know this at the start of ANH) and the Emperor had direct control via the paper tiger senate so there may have been no need for it.

For years, Palpatine ruled the galaxy with direct control over all the systems from the senate. It seems at some point he decided that the senate was just a pointless beaurocratic waste of time and the rebellion posed a threat to the empire so he decided to farm power out to regional governers to maintain tighter control. Enter the death star. Any systems caught favouring the rebellion or just stepping out of line with the Emperor's demands would....meet their demise.

25. Nordom

Nordom Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2004
    Well about the DS and DS2, what does the movies say?

First ANH, the DS gets completed during the movie, we have several qoutes to this effect, "..until this battlestation is fully operational..", "..by the time this station is operational..", etc.
    So if the DS was started at the end of Sith then it took about 18 years to build.

Then RotJ, the crawl says that the empire has secretly BEGUN building a second DS. So they have not been doing it all that long, certainly not 10-15 years.
    Also the DS2 is about 2/3-3/4 complete and the SL is operational. And we are told that the emperor is there to oversee the final construction of the DS2. In other words, he is there until the DS2 is complete. So how much time would the empire need to finish it? 1-2 years? This seems unlikely that Palpatine would be content to sit on the DS2 for that long, he has an empire to run. 1-2 months would make more sense.
    So the DS2 has been under construction for a couple of years at most and it is far bigger than the first one and like the fist one it was built in secret.

18 years vs. 2-3 years for a bigger DS is a little strange.

Regards
    Nordom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.