main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*OFFICIAL THREAD* Death Star & EpIII

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Shank_the_Wookie, Jan 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    Made it official.

2. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    Oh I am drooling just at the thought of that Death Star in Ep.III...oh, it will be a sweet moment in Movie history, just as the battle with Yoda and Dooku was. 8-}

3. Mortimer_Nerdly

Mortimer_Nerdly Jedi Master star 5

Sep 19, 2002
    I have a strong feeling we'll see the plans again.

"That's not a moon. It's a space station."

--Obi-Wan Kenobi, Episode IV

How else would Obi-Wan know that the Death Star wasn't a moon. He probably sees the plans somewhere in Episode III. He may learn that it is a space station, but he may be unaware of its firepower.

Mortimer_Nerdly! :cool:

4. tarkin713

tarkin713 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2003
    I don't think we'll actually see the Death Star in EpIII, but I wouldn't discount a scene where Palp and Dooku are discussing the plans, and put Tarkin in charge of overseeing the construction of it. The Death Star, afer all, was Tarkin's brainchild, so I think he'd be honored.

5. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Given that we saw quite a bit of the Death Star in AotC, why wouldn't we at least see it being built in Episode 3? You must admit it isn't really that crazy an idea and out of the realm of possibility.

6. wes1103

wes1103 Jedi Youngling

Mar 8, 2003
    If the Death Star is even in episode 3, it CANT destroy anything. In A New Hope they test the full power of the station. Why would they do that if they already did something.

7. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Don't you know that Naboo becomes Dagobah and Kamino becomes Hoth?

8. SEN-5241

SEN-5241 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 13, 2001
    yup, and it's all flamesabers man.

seriously, i need an update without reading 5 pages of data, is there going to be a death star in ep 3, and will it be exploded?

i seriously doubt it, even gl, who seems notoriously bad at repeating SOME things wont do it again.

i said at some things, i understand that he has 'repeating stanzas', but anh and rotj were quite enough.

9. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    If nothing else, the inclusion of the Death Star hologram was a hint at the possibility of the Death Star making some sort of cameo in Episode 3.

10. SEN-5241

SEN-5241 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 13, 2001
    precisely what i was thinking.

11. Rob_Cameron

Rob_Cameron Jedi Youngling

Sep 13, 2002
    In ANH OB1 seems to know his way around the Death Star rather well - okay R2 shows him the maps but he'd have to be a bloody speed reader to understand them all.

So perhaps in EpIII OB1 is charged with destroying the prototype of the Death Star - hence in ANH he realises from a long way (in the Falcon) that "that's no moon - its a space station) - he recognises it from a long time before - he also works out a way to hide in the Falcon (maybe done this before in EpIII) and also knows that R2 should be able to read the whole Imperial Computer System (HoW?? Cause he's done it all before in EpIII).

OB1 goes to a Death Star in EpIII - I'm convinced anyone else - feel free to slice me in to.

12. Darth-Mule

Darth-Mule Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 11, 2002
    Some type of Death Star would be cool, but I always wondered if we'll get to see why they call their ships "Star Destroyers". Is this literal, or is it just a cool name they gave to their warships?

13. Rob_Cameron

Sep 13, 2002
    I think it probably literal - Han states that they'd need a thousand ships to destroy a planet - so a single Star Destroyer is unlikely to be able to destroy a star??

14. Darth-Mule

Oct 11, 2002
    I didn't mean to suggest that a single ship might cause that much damage, but rather what you said, a fleet of them maybe.

15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Once again, how Obi-wan knew that wasn't a moon.

-Leia talks about the Empire's latest battle station and the plans for it are hidden in Artoo. He knows that it has to be serious enough for Bail to send her to come get him.

-On their way to Alderaan, Obi-wan feels a great disturbence in the Force.

-Arriving at Alderaan, they discover that the planet is no longer there. Just an asteroid feild that's not on any star maps/charts.

-TIE Fighters are short range fighters and there's no sign of a Star Destroyer nearby.

-As they follow the TIE Fighter, they see the Death Star in the distance. The fact that it's metallic looking, there's no moons in that direction of Alderaan system, a whole planet cannot be destroyed by Star Destroyers and the fact that the TIE is heading there, was all that Obi-wan needed to realize that was the battle station Leia was talking about.

16. Rob_Cameron

Sep 13, 2002
    Hmmmmm

Like the view - however - still doesn't explain how he gets around so well once inside??

17. CadillacJedi

CadillacJedi Jedi Youngling

May 15, 2003
    ANH was Lucas' first movie, he didn't think that far ahead. Now Lucas has to go back and make everything work. Obi-Wan's aparent familiarity of the floor plan of the DS would be convenient if he wanted it to debut in III, but what would you have wanted to see in ANH, Obi-Wan stumbling around with a map? They didn't expect us to be analyzing this stuff now, 27 years later.

18. Darth-Mule

Oct 11, 2002
    I would be surprised if those plans we saw in AOTC didn't somehow come into play in EPIII.

19. Rob_Cameron

Sep 13, 2002
    ANH might well have been GL's first movie of the 6 but he always new of the concept of there being 6 movies hence why call ANH Ep IV???

Smart Arse!!

20. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Well, the original release was not called A New Hope. That didn't happen until a few years later when he realized his films were successful and could be told as a greater saga rather than a single, isolated film. Star Wars was re-released as Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope.

21. Rob_Cameron

Sep 13, 2002
    Before or after ROTJ????

I am under the impression that GL wanted to start from the beginning but because of budgets etc he went for the easiet to film and the most cinematically lucrative??

Am I wrong??

Once SW ANH was a success he then went on to do the rest - but even before ANH was released he new of the whole big picture. so I think I'm still right.

George please confirm.

22. Darth-Mule

Oct 11, 2002
    * oops, I did it again baby *

23. Darth-Mule

Oct 11, 2002
    "Episode IV : A New Hope" was always at the beginning of the opening scroll, but in '77 it was referred to as "Star Wars", and when ESB came out is wasn't referred to as "Episode V : The Empire Strikes Back" it was just called "The Empire Strikes Back". Same thing with ROTJ.

But GL obviously was certain at the time that there would be a I, II, and III in some form or another.

24. Darth-Doggy-Dogg

Darth-Doggy-Dogg Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2003
    If they started building the Death Star in Ep3, theyd have like thirty years to finish it. The new one was built in less then two.

25. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    When did it become IV?

[image=http://www.starwars.com/community/askjc/img/steve.jpg]

Question: A friend and I have had a long-standing argument over when the opening crawl of the first Star Wars movie was changed to add "Episode IV: A New Hope." He says it was 1978, but I think it was a couple of years later.

Answer: You win. But the mind does play tricks, and this wasn't as easy to answer as you might think. Soon after the unexpected huge success of Star Wars, George Lucas announced that it was only one part in a multi-chapter saga, and almost immediately started production on the next part, The Empire Strikes Back. But there was also a pre-story that might get made someday, he said. The first movie really started "in the middle" of the story.

Star Wars was still playing in numerous theaters a year after its opening on May 25, 1977. It was re-released in 1979, 1981 and 1982. But when was the change made? For the indisputable answer, we went to Lucasfilm's film archivist, Sterling Hedgpeth. Here's what he says:
    "I found a box with all the positive elements for the 'revised' opening crawl, and the assorted trim boxes are dated from October through December 1980. This, then, is consistent with the view that Episode IV: A New Hope was added for the first time to the opening crawl for the April 10, 1981 re-release."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.