main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Thread: Discussion of Potential Changes to the Classic Trilogy for Future Releases

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Guy-Gone_Weird, Jan 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    It kinda does mirror. Anakin does look from Palpatine to Mace at one point, and it makes you think of the ROTJ scene. SPECIFICALLY because you can see the reflection of lightning on Anakin's face.

I don't get why people want the Stormtrooper voices all changed to Jango's voice. Jango is not the sole source of the clones by the time of ANH. It's unrealistic to think that the Empire would keep the same host for over twenty years. Besides, not all of the Stormtroopers are clones anyway. Some are just recruits that joined or were drafted into the Amry. Those who were clones came from a wide range of hosts.

They are not all Jango. I would be for changing some of the voices, but only a few of them. NOT all of them.

2. Sanctuary_Moon

Sanctuary_Moon Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2004
    Here's a better idea, why not go back to the PT and have all the Clone Troopers played by guys in suits (rather than CGI for the sake of CGI)? The PT would then "tie in" better with the OT. This whole "The OT stinks now that the much kewler PT has been made" argument is getting a little overused.

3. jedi-master-kev

jedi-master-kev Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 22, 2005
    well said mate =D=

4. DARTHFINGERZ

DARTHFINGERZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2004
    "It kinda does mirror. Anakin does look from Palpatine to Mace at one point, and it makes you think of the ROTJ scene. SPECIFICALLY because you can see the reflection of lightning on Anakin's face."

^^ Hmm...when the DvD hits I'll have to watch for that.

As far as making StormTroopers CG...I don't think there is a need to make them ALL CG. Maybe they can beef up the amount of StormTroopers by adding CG troopers in the backgrounds more. Jango's voice can be added for some of them but doesn't need to be added for all of them.

I actually don't get the use of CG CloneTroopers in the PT so much. They could have mixed it up a bit and had human actors for the close ups atleast.

Question were they ALL CG?

LoL, none of them were guys in costumes?

5. -Ambu_Fett-

-Ambu_Fett- Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 16, 2003
    Yes, as far as I know, they were all CGI (in the suit at least).

And you can change all of the stormie's voices to Temuerra's or none. I don't think it would work very well with a mixture (as it might confuse the normal viewer).

6. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    Yeah, they were all CGI.

7. MasterYoda510

MasterYoda510 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 15, 2005
    Speaking of which, did anyone notice in RotS, that sometimes Mortenson was misaligned with the CG Clonetrooper body?

Also, in ANH when Han chases the Stormtroopers and then runs into more, I think they should change the stormies to imperial guards, and then keep the part where he runs into more stormies.

8. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    I just don't see why Palps would create this Grand Clone Army, to only trash the program, and start using sucky recruits. A Jango Clone is a much better fighter than some 17 year old kid just out of school.

9. DARTHFINGERZ

Nov 14, 2004
    Is there an EU story that explains why they went from an all clone army to a mixture?

10. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    Not yet, but I am sure there will be in the future.

11. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    moving discussion on Christensen replacing Shaw in ROTJ during the unmasking scene into this thread per General Kenobi's orders. I personally don't see it ever happening. Unless Christensen can pull it off with similar inflection to Shaw's, it shouldn't happen. The way it stands in the DVD now, I almost can see a 40 year old Christensen in Shaw's portrayal, which is really good. ILM did a great job of aiding that by removing eyebrows and changing eye color. But if they were to change it, I don't see a problem with it....as long as it was done right, makeup wise and acting wise.

12. dvader234

dvader234 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 9, 2005
    Here's what I think.

Palpatine liked the idea of a clone army, but he didn't like the idea of them developing an individuality, or else his reign might be threatened. So he made the clones droid-like, mass producing them without giving them the proper training they deserved with the idea that quantity is better over quality. This works to an extent, but when the troopers face a primitive and unorthodox force, like the ewoks, they are unable to react to the situation properly.

When I watch the OT now, I don't picture regular guys behind the stormtrooper armor. In fact, I don't picture anything. George Lucas has stated on several occasions that the reason stormtroopers wear masks is to symbolize how they have no personality or will, and them being clones only adds to that symbolism.

13. StormTrooper1776

StormTrooper1776 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    For added CGI stormtroopers:
    On ANH:eek:n Tatooine they should make all the sandtroopers have orange should pads instead of some with white and some with black and have one stormtrooper that is a commander that stands out from them,like have tan camoulflage.

On the DS they should have one commander that walks with a group of stormtroopers.Maybe a grey color one.

TESB:They should add alot of CGI ones running on the battlefield of Hoth.They should make a commander one that stands out from all of them.

On Bespin they should make the stormtroopers have like an orange on their armor and a commander who stands out also with them.

On ROTJ:They should have alot of camoulflage stormtroopers added and a commander on Endor that look just like the ones on episode 3.

14. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    Yea, I really loved the variey of color in the Clone Trooper Armor in ROTS. I'd like to see that in the OT instead of just the plain boring white. Seriously who goes to a forest envirorment in all white?

15. bebbie

bebbie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2002
    I believe you mean Temuera Morrison :)

On the subject of the complete CGI clonetroopers, I didn't have a problem with it. Yes, I would question why it was done? But, if Lucasfilm had not made this fact known, would anyone have noticed???

16. DARTHFINGERZ

Nov 14, 2004
    Well if you notice the Troopers move real smooth in RoTS.

Imo...CG hasn't advanced enought to where human movements are mimicked perfectly yet. Maybe it's just me but I can still tell they are CG......ILM still did an excellent job though don't get me wrong.

17. _dArTh_SoLo

_dArTh_SoLo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2002
    This is such a great thread...

What are you guys using for editing? I just got Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 and wondering if that is any good...I've heard/read things, which is why I got it, but it seemed like the best out there for PC's. I can't afford to get a Mac and get some really high end stuff.

I've used a real digital editor before in a film class, which was just a FANTASTIC experience I must say, but premiere pro isn't that easy to figure out at times, it's somewhat frustrating...damn!!!

18. bebbie

bebbie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2002
    Sorry DARTHFINGERZ, I should have mentioned that I was referring to one scene in particular. The scene of all the clonetroopers at the end of AOTC. An amazing shot! When I saw it in the previews, I thought it was a bunch of guys in suits but then I found out it was all CGI, I was absolutely knocked out!

I agree with you about the human movements - there is still that element of "jerkiness" in some scenes.

19. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    I still think the best movements of the Clones is in ROTS during the entire Order 66 montage, ESPECIALLY when Bail Organa is at the Jedi Temple and turned away.

I was blown away by that.

20. dvader234

dvader234 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 9, 2005
    They didn't look CG at all during the battle of Kashyyyk where the scout troopers run up on the tree branch and start sniping the battle droids.

21. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    Actually, the only spots I think they looked fake, IMO of course, would be when they are in the Senate Pod and when Yoda throws the lightsaber through one of them.

22. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    A few times in AOTC they looked fake, and in one scene or so in ROTS, but overall, I know I wouldn't have noticed they were ALL CG if people hadn't been talking about it. Most of the troopers looked real. I had assumed they made at least a couple real suits and just replicated them, so I too was shocked, and irritated when people started complaining about how they looked fake.

In fact, the only thing that made them look fake in AOTC was that the helmets appeared too thin for a human to wear, heh.

23. DARTHFINGERZ

Nov 14, 2004
    Eh...I know this may sound odd but after thinking about it I LIKE that they went all CG for the clonetroopers in the PT because it gives them a different feel then the OT stormtroopers.

24. DanaSolo

DanaSolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2005
    I'm just thankful I have the OT DVD's before Lucas was able to change them beyond recognition. He should keep the original cuts available, and if people want to buy his new 'improved' versions of the OT thats great, but again the originals should still be there. Not everyone wants to see him tinker with the original to keep it consistent with all his new ideas. Though I totally love the changes he made to the rereleases in '97 ( aside from the Jabba's Palace dance), he should have stopped there.

25. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    I don't mind his changes for the most part. They don't change the dynamic of the films, the story stays the same. So what if a few of the effects are cleaned up?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.