main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*OFFICIAL THREAD* General Grievous in Ep3

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Critter, Oct 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_jacks

jedi_jacks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 17, 2005
    i thought grievous only wielded a lightsaber once in RotS and that was against obi-wan. he had four sabers and i couldnt tell whos they were, i think thats how it happened.

2. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    Actually you'll notice that they share alot of qualities. Someone could have the same hilt and design, but use a different color for the plating.

3. JMN77

JMN77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    I gotta say that being a SW junkie for all 28 years I've been totally blown away time and time again by what folks on these boards notice that I never did. So I'm even more amazed that no one seems to notice/ agree that two of GG lightsabers ARE Obi's and Ani's. Same design, same color, etc. By the way I realize this is'nt important, just an observation is all. One I apparently share with me, myself and I. :) Peace. MTFBWY!

4. EricIsBacchus

EricIsBacchus Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 16, 2003
    What did Grievous look like before the injury that caused him to become a cyborg?

5. Force-Keeper

Force-Keeper Jedi Master star 5

Jun 16, 2004
    He looked like this:

[image=http://www.starwars.com/eu/lit/comics/img/20050214_6_bg.jpg]

6. ZombieProblems

ZombieProblems Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2004
    coolness! where is that from??? (he seems almost vaguely Tuskenish)

7. Force-Keeper

Force-Keeper Jedi Master star 5

Jun 16, 2004
    It's on the OS. Try here. You might have to search around, though.

8. EricIsBacchus

EricIsBacchus Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 16, 2003
    Cool. I knew there had to be a pic of him pre-injury out there.

9. Darkwish

Darkwish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2001
    Wow. I'd never seen that pic before.

10. Padme-Wan_SkyWindu

Padme-Wan_SkyWindu Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2002
    www.starwars.com mentions that the next issue of Insider will have information on Grievous' backstory. Here's the relevant bit:

He was once known as Qymaen jai Sheelal until he underwent a horrific transformation under the scalpels and welding torches of the Geonosians and their cohorts. He emerged General Grievous, dread leader of the Separatist army. Learn more of the secret origins of Grievous in a new article by Abel Peña, illustrated by Joe Corroney.

This sounds cool. I'm curious how the illustrations will portray him.

NOTE: I know this is EU stuff but I thought the Grievous thread here would be appropriate since fans of him may be interested.

11. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    I'm interested.

12. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Well if you are interested in Grevious' back story, "Labyrinth of Evil" goes into it extensively.

13. mastersith69

mastersith69 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2005
    Yodas-evil-twin posted:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JMN77 posted:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jedi_jacks posted:
    oh, grievous with his armies have killed plenty of jedi before. anakin's and obi-wan's lightsabers, "will make a fine addition to my [already large] collection."

I know why GG has Lightsabers, but he is shown using Obi-Wan's and Anakin's at the same time that they themselves have them. As far as I know lightsabers are individually unique to thier Jedi owners.

Actually you'll notice that they share alot of qualities. Someone could have the same hilt and design, but use a different color for the plating.

I gotta say that being a SW junkie for all 28 years I've been totally blown away time and time again by what folks on these boards notice that I never did. So I'm even more amazed that no one seems to notice/ agree that two of GG lightsabers ARE Obi's and Ani's. Same design, same color, etc. By the way I realize this is'nt important, just an observation is all. One I apparently share with me, myself and I. Peace. MTFBWY!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah i have said this in other threads and apprently from what i have been told was that lucasarts was so lazy to create original lightsabers for grevious that they just used anakins and obiwans lightsabers to save time. it is funny though to see grevious loose anakins and obiwans while he is fighting them. i am not sure though if it was a goof up and plan easter egg.

14. MonkeytheJedi

MonkeytheJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 21, 2005
    just imagine if this happened in the movie
    http://grievous.ytmnd.com/

15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  16. Master_Jedi80

Master_Jedi80 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2005
    I love General Grievous' arrival on Utupau.
    what a scene that is! music, visuals. its great!

17. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    I wanted to add something to this thread since Insider 86 [which has now been released] gives a detailed back story of General Grievous. Including his recreation as a cyborg. His "face" is his own creaation which he carved as an armorplast deathmask that resembled his father's.

18. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    I still can't believe the audacity of General Grievous. Granted, we had Jar Jar in Episode I, but he was inherently comedic. Yet here is Grievous -- a delirious, campy, crazy serial villain! Lucas did it. He finally perfected the Ray Harryhausen "stop motion monster" with 100% convincing CG. Revenge of the Sith deserved the Oscar for that alone. Think how many decades we waited to finally see this type of character realised to perfection. Lucas got there. He was the one that finally did it. But it's more than that. It's Grievous' swagger, Grievous' arrogance, Grievous' presence that really does it. And it's John William's bombastic score that seals the deal. I've never had this much fun in a cinema before. This is how films are meant to be! Grievous is the perfect fusion of modern technology and classic sensibilities. This is the philosophy that we need to see a LOT more of. Filmmakers seem too afraid to do that -- they fuse modern technology with modern sensibilities. But that's all wrong. Films, at least in some instances in some genres, need that showmanship, humour and grandeur of old. Grievous was a love letter to times long gone.

19. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Unlocked and up'd for new discussion.

20. Master_Shaitan

Master_Shaitan Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2004
    Here is a short clip I made of Grievous, redubbing his voice with Klytus from Flash Gordon. I always felt Grievous should have been more of a "Klytus-esque" villain and believe this may also have been the original intention. Gary Oldman was once cast for the role but couldn't do it due to some reason or another! Anyway, in terms of the character of Grievous - was the voice right? What did you envision for the character? Etc...

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y80/MasterShaitan1/?action=view&current=Greivous.flv

21. Gen-Kenobi

Gen-Kenobi Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2006
    That was awesome, if they would have made him talk/sound like that then this character would have been much more realistic/frightning as a leader the huge killing machine of a droid army. I wish the droid's would have been more like NS9 or the others in I-Robot also....much cooler and believable as a useful droid.

22. Master_Shaitan

Master_Shaitan Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2004
    Why thank you. Im personally not a fan of Grievous as he is now. He is bland and kinda stupid. But with the simple move of changing his voice to that of Klytus from Flash Gordon - we have something far better.

23. Darth_Zoo

Darth_Zoo Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    Wonderful. I really was dissapointed with GG the first time I saw RotS. I was expecting something that resembled the crazed nightmarish Clone Wars version. But I just have to appretiate GG's "mustache twirling" bravado and arrogance! GL made a very creative villian with GG more so than just a generic "bad guy" GG is comedic gold. It's awesome.

24. Qel-Della

Qel-Della Jedi Youngling

Apr 8, 2007
    Does anyone view General Grievous as a tragic character?

It's almost like he was made into a monster. I mean, his lover, or sibling perhaps, was killed which put him into a major depression, than he was ambushed by San Hill and was convinced by Dookue that the Jedi had planted the bomb. Not only that, but you have to look at the fact that the Jedi had helped the Huks against his species, plus, the Republic didn't do squat when his species were in a crisis.

25. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Oldman is a member of SAG and because Lucas no longer works for the DGA, Oldman couldn't participate in a non-union film under new union rules established in 2002. Actors who had already signed on for more than on Star Wars film were allowed to honor their obligations. Oldman couldn't risk his membership in SAG and thus bowed out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.