main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official thread: hey wait a minute, a Jedi doing force choking???

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by sergejg, Feb 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sergejg

sergejg Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 5, 2002
    I was just watching ROTJ after a while and I noticed that Luke aplies a force choking on a Gamorrian Guard in Jabba's Palace!

Now I thought it was somewhere mentioned by GL or it was said somewhere that only Sith do the lightning and the force choking!

Is this further prove to my theory that in ROTJ Luke is neither Sith nor JEdi but a balance of both????

2. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    What was he supposed to do: tap them on the shoulder and ask nicely to be let through? 8-}

Seriously, I don't know. Even though Yoda said he wouldn't be a Jedi until he faced Vader, I'd say, for all intents and purposes, he's a Jedi. The choke being solely a Sith thing...I don't know about that, either. He's battling the Dark Side inside, so I guess he might exhibit what isn't exactly "Jedi-like" behavior.

3. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I imagine all Force users have access to all the Force powers.

4. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Well Luke wasn't a Jedi. I think the Force choke was meant to show a tie between him and his father.

5. sergejg

Sep 5, 2002
    "What was he supposed to do: tap them on the shoulder and ask nicely to be let through?"

Daughter_Of_TheForce, good one, hehehehe.

"The choke being solely a Sith thing...I don't know about that, either. He's battling the Dark Side inside, so I guess he might exhibit what isn't exactly "Jedi-like" behavior. "

Yes he shows lots of things that are not Jedi-like all the time. Like when he threatens Jabba (free us or die!, or something like that) that's a lot of things a true Jedi wouldn't do.

Padme Bra, I agree with you.

I think this all kind of points out that Luke was following a path smiliar to Anakin to become a Sith, but at the end he is redempted when he won't try to kill the emperor.

6. GrandMoffTarkin

GrandMoffTarkin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 22, 2001
    Also, who's to say it's a full Force choke? I maintain what I've always said, that Luke didn't kill them, but merely rendered them unconcious.

7. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    Yeah it's not like he was full of anger and all that.

8. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Correct, Luke did not kill the Gamorreans.

9. sergejg

Sep 5, 2002
    Why wouldn't he kill those two guards if he killed like a dozen more of guardians a bit later in the movie? and as I said before, he even made a serious thread to Jabba. (free us or die stuff).

10. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I think he spared those guards because he made his point. As far as why he threatened Jabba, he was in a situation where it was kill or be killed.

11. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001
    [Space Balls] What the hell are you doing? ***The Vulcan neck pinch?*** No, no, no, idiot, you've got it way too high. It's more down here where the shoulder meets the neck.***Like, this?***Yeah!...THUD [/Space Balls]

12. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Luke didn't kill the guards because they weren't a threat to him. On Jabba's sail barge he had to kill the minions or be killed himself.

13. sergejg

Sep 5, 2002
    I don't know, Im not fully convienced just yet, hehe. For example I think QuiGon would have got out of the whole situation in a more graceful intelligente way. Well after all the whole plan to rescue Han was very ilogic since the begining (sending Lando to pretend to be "a bad guy", sending the droids as a gift, sending poor chewie as a bounty hunt). QuiGon would have gone there directly without getting everyone into trouble, hehe.

14. The_Dark_Overlord

The_Dark_Overlord Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Luke isnt a sith, or a Jedi.

Remember. He is the one who is going to bring Balance To The Force . so, he can use both sides. Im sure he is supposed to use both sides of the force.

As many things in SW , george has a meening with almost everything. So, I think this is the way for him to show that he realy is the one who will bring balance.

15. TheWombat

TheWombat Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    Using the Force to attack in any way is supposed to be of the Dark Side. But Luke never had anyone to really train him after he left Yoda. I always assumed he didn't really think about it, or why he shouldn't do it. He just found he could do it, so it seemed like a good idea. Which was why he came so close to submitting to the Dark Side. He turned out alright in the end though.

16. Green_Eggs_And_Han

Green_Eggs_And_Han Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 9, 2003
    I thought it rather odd myself when I saw that scene. I'd imagine that since Luke had a crash course in Jedi 101, that certain guidelines were overlooked. He never had the guidance that came with being a Padawan, and therefore had no one to show him the ropes. Most of his experiences were akin to on the job training. He comes close to the dark side several times, but manages to regain his composure and back down.

I think Han Solo summed it up best with his "delusions of grandeur" comment when he is reunited with Chewie.

17. Onnie

Onnie Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2000
    Actually, it begs the question where he learned how to do it. Did Yoda teach it to him? Obi-wan most certainly did not. It doesn't seem that the Jedi can just pick up how to do stuff out of the blue. I only say that because of things that happen in A New Hope, plus in Empire. It could be that after Yoda shows him that with the Force, you can even raise an X-wing filled with water. Such an action gets Luke playing around with what else is possible. But why he would play around with choking someone isn't really very clear if that is the case.

18. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I think it's also used to show the parallels between Luke and Anakin.

19. Green_Eggs_And_Han

Green_Eggs_And_Han Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 9, 2003
    I'm with you, Onnie. Where the heck did he learn it? Did he witness Vader doing this at some point? I think not. Yoda sure as heck wouldn't have taught him this little trick. I think that he is fooling everyone! He wants to be a Sith, and at the end of ROTJ he destroys all of his friends and rules the galaxy single handedly with a force choke!!!

Just kidding. ;)

20. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Force choking Gamorians, hacking down Weequays, what's the difference? He was using the powers to save his friend from an evil gangster. I'm not sure GL's definition of the dark side (when he filmed ROJ) was as rigid as EUs.

EDIT - Luke is the one who is going to bring Balance To The Force.

*high-fives Overlord* Good to hear I'm not the only one who thinks that. Now, there are three of us.

21. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    I've always felt that this gives you a glimpse of just how much Luke was toying with the Dark Side at that point. It makes it all the more powerful that he chose the good side and also gives credibility to the fact that he might possibly resort to dark side tacticts when in came down to it.

22. starwarsfan182

starwarsfan182 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 8, 2002
    sergejg its actually called "Force Grip".

23. darkOmegazer0

darkOmegazer0 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    Hey I think Luke brings balance too. I always thought that was supposed to mirror Vader didn't Mark Hamill comment on how Luke's suit looks alot like Vader's and Lucas was like "that's the idea". He's supposed to be following his father.

24. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    Like Father, Like Son. Only Luke was not hell bent on killing people.

25. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "Luke isnt a sith, or a Jedi.

Remember. He is the one who is going to bring Balance To The Force ."

Oops, one of those people again! ;)

"Where the heck did he learn it?"

How hard could it be? If you can throw objects, why can't you squeeze someone's throat?
    It's not like it's Force Lightning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.