main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*OFFICIAL THREAD* In-Depth Discussions of RotS

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by RolandofGilead, May 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheEmperorsProtege

TheEmperorsProtege Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2004
    why do some people think it was an easy turn for anakin?
    havent you been paying attention after the mace windu dies scene?

Vos wasnt shown being killed was he?

-Mel

2. darthRebel

darthRebel Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 25, 2004
    I was just checking,he prob wasn't in it

why easy turn?

I thought it was believable untill he had a troubeled expression on his face when he helped kill mace.Then in a couple seconds he becomes darth vader and agrees to kill all the jedi in the temple.I mean there should have been more conflict when facing the kids a couple moments later.A man with good in him as padme says cannot do a thing like that without remorse or conflict.He is totaly consumed by dart vader at that point like yoda said,makes redemption very difficult.Well,thats my personal opinion.The turning for love reason worked ,but not the way it was build up after mace dead.It was definitly his lust for power that made him more like the devil in the end and not his love for padme.if this had been better it would be a masterpiece,now it isn't

3. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    as far as I know he was just mentioned by obiwan

-Mel

4. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    I've heard that you see Vos killed in the comic.

I really really thought they should have kept Qui-Gon in the film. Yoda just out of nowhere telling Obi-Wan that stuff felt so tacked out. Possibly even a let down for anyone expecting some detail into the force ghost thing. That was the worst thing about the film in my opinion

I wouldn't say it was the worst thing, but it would have been pretty cool to see Qui-Gon again. When Yoda mentioned him I was like "YES! Qui-Gon Force Ghost! Exellent!".

LOL.

Imagine my suprise. :p

Though I've talked this over with my brother who saw it with me and we agreed that what Yoda was trying to explain that he and Obi-Wan could learn how to become part of the Force and communicate with the living, therefore explaining how Obi and appear in the later films and talk to Luke.

Nice to know though that Qui-Gon has kinda turned out to be more than a funky cool Jedi that gets killed off in the first prequel.

5. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    darthRebel posted on 5/21/05 3:58am

I thought it was believable untill he had a troubeled expression on his face when he helped kill mace.Then in a couple seconds he becomes darth vader and agrees to kill all the jedi in the temple.I mean there should have been more conflict when facing the kids a couple moments later.A man with good in him as padme says cannot do a thing like that without remorse or conflict.He is totaly consumed by dart vader at that point like yoda said,makes redemption very difficult.Well,thats my personal opinion.The turning for love reason worked ,but not the way it was build up after mace dead.It was definitly his lust for power that made him more like the devil in the end and not his love for padme.if this had been better it would be a masterpiece,now it isn't
    [hr][/blockquote]

well he did that cause palps told him he had to in order to be strong enough to save padme. I still think he had a problem with what he did and felt remorse. you can see him cry after the slaughter at mustafar as he has time to let it all sink in. only after padmes betrayal is he truly lost to the dark side

-Mel

6. darthRebel

May 25, 2004
    no he is lost when he betrays anakin and takes on the name darth vader and stops following his heart,conscience.he becomes the devil to easy and then he kills the younglings.Plus sidious admits he doesn't know how to save her,only his master had that ability.he should feel cheatened.But the main problem is he should have more heart from the start.I mean he beats dooku with the good side ,he manages to control his anger and hate in the fight,manage to think about obiwan ,and then after he has defeated him he stops thinking and kills dooku because sidious asked so.He is palpatines little puppet very early in the movie.So his lust for power is the crucial factor in his turn.But in the end he was always a bit psychotic.But in the end he is evil so I can see the turn in a symbolic way and then I like it but it could have been better.

7. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    no his path down the dark side starts there, it doesnt end there. it ends when he completely looses it when he thinks that padme betrayed him ;)

-Mel

8. darthRebel

May 25, 2004
    No he is consumed by darth vader when he kneels before sidious ,accepts the devil to take his soul,gives in to his lust for power and dominance and then accepts the order to slaughter all younglins in the temple.Yoda said it himself...consumed by vader.No more good in him,the man that was anakin skwalker is nomore,he is dead.That's why I think redemption is impossible for anakin.He is beyond the point of return.You can sin,you can do bad things,but you can't betray yourself and your soul.

9. Anagorn

Anagorn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 3, 2003
    Did anybody else notice the similarity in Padme´s
    voice in the hairbrushing scene and
    Leia´s in the conversation
    with Luke about their
    mother?
    I did at least.
    Fascinating.

10. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    nah no way. he still thinks he can twist all that to do good. he tell padme they could rule the galaxy together. no longer running away. only then as she doesnt comply with his plans is he totally lost

-Mel

11. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    See that's the thing about the turn. If he was so consumed, then why is he already not taking Palps serious when he talks to Padme? And why is he crying for her if he is all evil?

The turn was just rushed and the seduction was illogical. The movie clearly tries hard to establish that Ani goes to palps for advice. Fine. Palps is pumping Anakin's ego in the beginning of the film. Then BEFORE Anakin ever mentions anything about Padme dying, Palps says to him "Uhh....have you ever heard of the legend of Darth plagueis???" suddenly Palps is offering advice about saving one's life. Oh, how convenient! Ani should have been completely suspect of Palps at this point.

It just comes down to the movie being way too rushed. So much is glossed over. Take the end duel. Yoda tells Obi Wan to go to Mustafar and fetch Anakin as if Anakin is some kind of pushover. This guy just slaughtered the temple and he sends Obi Wan alone??? Why not go together?

And even after Yoda gets his butt kicked by Sidious, he doesn't even give Obi Wan an afterthought!! Doesn't even wonder "How doing Obi Wan" He just jumpes in the speeder and says he must go into exile??

I just wish more of it was really developed. Just so many story points ring hollow. As I said before, this film should have been 3hours with an extended version on DVD.

12. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    Green_Destiny_Sword posted on 5/21/05 5:06am

It just comes down to the movie being way too rushed. So much is glossed over. Take the end duel. Yoda tells Obi Wan to go to Mustafar and fetch Anakin as if Anakin is some kind of pushover. This guy just slaughtered the temple and he sends Obi Wan alone??? Why not go together?
    [hr][/blockquote]

yoda didnt tell obiwan to go to mustafar. and yoda was busy getting his ass kicked by sidous.
    2 sith, 2 jedi, why not 2 jedi against one sith???? I wonder... :D

-Mel

13. darthRebel

May 25, 2004
    sidious did not kick yoda's ass.In the end when sidious throws lightning at yoda ,yoda catches the lightning and throws it back.Then for a couple seconds its a tie,and then yoda manages to win the force power battle and pushes sidious over the pod.By doing this he has used so much power that he has fallen to the ground also.Yoda then understands he must flee before the emperor and an army of clone troopers liquidate him,it was not his task to forfill the phrofecy and he knows he has to go in exile now and wait for a new hope...

and the turn could have been better if we first in aotc or after that had seen obiwan and anakin go on their first mission together and getting in a bad war situation,with a lot of dead people and casualties and also woman and children dying.Then anakin could have asked obiwan something like: How does one kill a man? and then we see anakin kill for the first time because of a necessary war situation(with alien or human oppononts,(not unpersonal droids) and then he changes and becomes immune to the pain and suffering and war like the soldiers in WW2.And some scenes in the previous movies were we see him as a man doing some good deeds and following his heart in helping people(not as a child).Then a better acted and more believable love relationship between anakin and padme and a longer build up to the point were he kills younglings.Not pledging his alliance to sidious and becoming his soulless puppet in 3 seconds after fealing remorse and a jedi with a little bit more intelligence ,seeing through sidious lies and intentions.

14. Jedi-Queen

Jedi-Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    One thing I can really say is you have to see
    this movie more than once to appreciate it.
    The first time I was not sure how I felt and had
    numerous complaints. After seeing it again I can say
    for sure it was an awesome movie and the only 2 things
    I would've changed was the absence of QGJ and seeing
    Yoda land on Dagobah. I think everyone did a great
    acting job especially Ian, Ewan and Hayden.

The movie really showed the deep connection b/w
    Padme and Ani. The scenes with them both staring
    out the windows and then both on medical tables
    was powerful. It was like they were connected
    and could feel each other's pain. I thought
    parts of those scenes were pretty moving.

15. Ferand_Boz

Ferand_Boz Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005

COUGH* rots rocks COUGH*

16. EndorRebelScum

EndorRebelScum Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 30, 2004
    Did anyone else Notice there was a Black Guard next to Jar Jar? It looked like a blue guard, but was purely black.... During the seen where Jar Jar talks (IE, The Poster Boy Scene)

17. BobaPhil

BobaPhil Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2000
    I think the reason there was no scene with Yoda arriving on Dagoba was because its not really necessary to the story. He says he's going into exile and thats all you as a viewer will need to know when you watch the films in order from I-VI.

When watched in order, it leaves a little surprise for the scene in TESB when Luke is told to go to Dagoba to learn from Yoda (the reaction from the audience being "So that's where Yoda went!" Remember, Lucas wants us to watch these films in numberical order....

18. Wally44

Wally44 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 10, 2005
    Did anyone notice that Palpatine wasn't wearing the thing he wears in Ep 1 and 2 that holds his cloak together? He was wearing a different one. Also, I noticed that Padme was wearing something similar. I wonder if Palps gave it to Anakin who gave it to Padme. It just looked exactly like what Sidious wore. Anyone notice that at all??

19. IMTHEGENERAL

IMTHEGENERAL Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    This movie exceeded all expectations. It is a masterpiece and incredibly emotional.

It gets better every time i watch it! When palptaine talks to anakin through the force as anakin is pondering what to do in the council chamber-all alone-I was just lost for words, the manipulation is wonderful!

Every scene is superb and it not only ties evrything up and improves all the other films but on its own it is far far superior to the other movies.

Its been great here on TheForce.net but its time for me to leave- thanks everyone for the great times here and may the force be with you all.

IMTHEGENERAL out!

20. Anagorn

Jul 3, 2003
    A MAJOR ROTS AND ROTJ CONNECTION:

This just occurred to me:

Anakin was lured to the dark side when
    Palpatine was shooting lightning and
    "begging" for help.

Anakin was brought back again many
    years later when Palpatine was
    shooting lightning and Luke
    was begging for help.

In the heat of the moment he
    made two decisions.
    Major ones.

Ultimately it was about saving
    his wife and later about
    saving his son.

Palpatine, force lightning
    and pleading for life
    was involved in both
    occations.

21. Anagorn

Jul 3, 2003
    Another thing I noticed on my last of many
    viewings of ROTS was that Padme´s words
    to Anakin before the duel about she
    wanting him to come away with her
    and leave all bad things behind
    very much mirrors what Luke said to
    Vader on Endor and Anakin´s response
    about him wanting she and him to rule
    the galaxy together very much mirrors
    what Vader said to Luke in Cloud City.
    Symbolic and beautiful symmetry.
    Pure Genius Lucas.

22. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    Anagorn posted on 5/25/05 1:11pm
    Another thing I noticed on my last of many
    viewings of ROTS was that Padme´s words
    to Anakin before the duel about she
    wanting him to come away with her
    and leave all bad things behind
    very much mirrors what Luke said to
    Vader on Endor and Anakin´s response
    about him wanting she and him to rule
    the galaxy together very much mirrors
    what Vader said to Luke in Cloud City.
    Symbolic and beautiful symmetry.
    Pure Genius Lucas.
    [hr][/blockquote]

i agree. all these parallels he always said would be there and now they really are... love it ;)

-Mel

23. Anagorn

Jul 3, 2003
    It´s a parallel universe so to speak... ;)

24. dr_funkenstein

dr_funkenstein Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2002
    Little ham-fisted to me...

25. brandonrerickson

brandonrerickson Jedi Youngling

Apr 13, 2005
    How do you think Revenge of the Sith would come across to someone who has never seen any other Star Wars movies and who doesn't even have any familiarity with Star Wars? Would that person be able to follow the movie and enjoy it as a stand alone? Or is there a minimal amount of background that someone should have before seeing it? What do you guys think?
    It seems that it would be an interesting experience to see it not knowing that Anikan will turn into Darth Vader.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.