main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*OFFICIAL THREAD* Initial Reactions for RotS

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by RolandofGilead, May 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    We're getting bogged down already with threads from people who have seen the movie. If you're one of the Chosen Few, please post your initial reactions here for the time being.

2. DarthPhelps

DarthPhelps Jedi Master star 5

Jan 31, 2002
    A good idea. Also - please put to bed the debate of the Force-Ghost. Is there or isn't there? Voice only?

Thank you and have a nice day.

3. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    (moved message to approprite thread)

4. PloKoons_Apprentice

PloKoons_Apprentice Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2005
    Does PLo Koon still have his lines and does he shoot down any other clones?

5. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    Does anyone else find it annoying when one person just states his oppinion over and over again without adding anything to the discussion?

6. Sate_Pestage

Sate_Pestage Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2001
    Ok sooo, now I guess we wait for all the poeple who have been claiming to have seen it, to come here and answer our questions.

Soo....yeah...ahhh, ok...

7. Jedi_Interceptor

Jedi_Interceptor Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2005
    How does this thread differ, in any practical way, from the 'in-depth' thread. Both threads will end up being the same.

8. Darth_Pogey

Darth_Pogey Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    This thread is for reviews not comments! Anyone who posts but doesn't review is telling the admins to jump in the lake!

9. Lobot_Omy

Lobot_Omy Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 2001
    This thread is for going "OMG I CAME BACK FROM MOVIE THAETR AND ROTS IS TEH KEWLEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!1!!!!!!1!", while the other is for more intelligent posts.

10. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    ^
    |
    |
    That about sums it up. ;)

11. Anakin_Skywalker20

Anakin_Skywalker20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 16, 2000
    :* :* Kisses for you all... :* :*

12. DukeNukem

DukeNukem Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    OMG I CAME BACK FROM MOVIE THAETR AND ROTS IS TEH KEWLEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!1!!!!!!1!

13. Lobot_Omy

Lobot_Omy Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 2001
    You catch on pretty quick.

14. DukeNukem

DukeNukem Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    you never said we actually had to have seen the movie :p

15. war_monger

war_monger Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 26, 2003
    I'm a slow learner. :(

Those two lines always bugged me... :p

16. Anakin_Skywalker20

Anakin_Skywalker20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 16, 2000
    This forum deserves a nice Big Juicy Kiss... :) Though... Theres no big juicy kiss icon/smiley here. oh well... Once I see ROTS... I'm gonna give u all a kiss.. [face_laugh] not to sound gay or anything, but you guys Rock. :)

17. SunDevil

SunDevil Jedi Youngling

May 2, 2005
    What I have seen so far is that people like me who have only recently joined TFN and have posted their thoughts have been pretty much ignored and/or dissed. So, who am I and why am here? Obviously, I'm not a rabid fan. (I can't tell you anything about the EU.) I saw ANH when it opened at the Kachina theater in Scottsdale, AZ (Sadly, it's gone but that's another story.). I've seen all the SW films on opening day, and now because of work, I've seen Ep. III early. I joined because for me, the door has closed on 28 years of cinema and I get to stave off the finality of the deed by reading your enthusiastic posts.

So - My intial reaction? It's great! I was involved in the story from start to finish. It's also complex.
    The first reel and about the first 5 minutes of reel 2 does a good job of showing how close Anakin and Obi-Wan are. And yet, even in reel 1, we see Anakin falling under the spell of Palpatine as he does Palpy's wish by offing Dooku.
    Then, as the story unfolds we see Anakin's slide into darkness. Even so, Anakin tries to do the right thing by getting counsel from Yoda after his first premonition of Padme's death.
    After Mace's death, Ani exclaims: "What have I done?", and after the massacre at Mustafar he shows remorse so Padme's dying words:"There's still good in him", give us pause even though we have seen him do terrible things she doesn't know about.

The final montage wraps the package in really nice bow and made me come home and watch ANH just to see it dovetail.

Is it perfect? No. I admit that, but it's not worth the effort to bring up the minor quibbles here. (Search for my other posts and you'll find them.) I expect word of mouth from the average moviegoer to be really positive.

I've seen some people post that the visual effects are not all that special, and I disagree. While they are not revolutionary they are darn near seamless. I was never taken "out of the story" by a bad VFX. This is especially true of the Ani-Obi duel on Mustafar. If you look at Return of the King you can see how difficult it is for even one of the highly rated effcts houses (WETA) to composite over lava. ILM did it flawlessly. 'Nuff said.

Since I've lurked around a little here are the answers to some of the most burning questions.
    Sorry, no Liam Neeson V.O. or otherwise.
    PLo Koon had no lines that I recall.
    JEJ is the voice of the suited Vader.
    While there are no severed youngling limbs, there is no doubt Anakin kills them.

Oh yeah, be sure to look for the Millenium Falcon making a landing at the spaceport in reel 2. (Thanks for that, GL.)

Enjoy!

18. SomebodyElse

SomebodyElse Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 23, 2005
    SunDevil, how was the Mace/Sidious fight? Any good or did it seem he was faking the whole time?

19. Wester547

Wester547 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    Errr what about the Anakin Dream scene, was that cut out?

20. war_monger

war_monger Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 26, 2003
    There's no way the dream sequence could have been cut out. It sets up the rest of the movie.

21. SunDevil

SunDevil Jedi Youngling

May 2, 2005
    Mace/Sidious hmmmm...

Great fight BTW.

While the fight was in progress, I was sure that Mace was winning, but as soon as Anakin stops Mace's LS strike, Palpy jumps up and lightning zaps Mace out the window, so it looks like he was faking it to find out Anakin's response.

Actually, the best actor in the movie is Palpatine. He plays to Anakin like a virtuoso violinist.

So the more I think about it, the more I move into the "he was faking it" camp.

22. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Does it actually show Mace falling?

23. sithscotti418

sithscotti418 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 27, 2005
    hpw long(about) was the film ? not including credits

24. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    How long does Sidious zap Mace with all of his furey as he finishes him off and throws him out the window?

Does he just zap him really quick, causing enough force to send him out the window? Or does he go at him with much viciousness for a while?

25. SunDevil

SunDevil Jedi Youngling

May 2, 2005
    I think Sidious holds Mace in the lightning field for like 10-12 seconds; he even screams "POWER! UNLIMITED POWER!" during the zapping, then throws Mace who travels horizontally for quite a way before arcing down and out of view. So it's not the typical seeing someone fall straight vertically away from the camera POV shot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.