main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*OFFICIAL THREAD* Initial Reactions for RotS

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by RolandofGilead, May 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clerk

clerk Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 2, 1998
    Sorry, didn't mean to get on your back, man. Peace and humptiness, forever. [face_peace]

2. ddrewes

ddrewes Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2005
    EXACTLY, sometimes not seeing the act but the aftermath is more impacting than the action itself

3. Jedi_Interceptor

Jedi_Interceptor Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2005
    Frankly I don't mind not seeing Anakin/Vader "kick ass" in the Jedi Temple.

It might actually help to draw the viewer in a bit more when Obi-Wan is playing the hologram video, because we will be seeing that particular footage for the first time along with Obi-Wan. Maybe. ;)

4. TadoFett

TadoFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004
    Question for anyone who has seen the movie: What parts of the Jedi Temple slaughter does Obi-wan get to see when he looks at the holographic recording of it? Does he see Anakin fighting Cin Drallig and the younglings?

Also, I was led to believe that part of what Obi-Wan sees in the hologram is Anakin beheading a meditating Shaak Ti in her quarters. Any confirmation of that?

Thanks guys!

5. Keleel3

Keleel3 Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2000
    To anyone that's seen it, was that whole "You're so beautiful"/"you're only saying that because you're so in love" exchange still in? If so, how does it play out? Cheesy? Bad? Okay?

6. Darth_Amel

Darth_Amel Jedi Youngling star 1

May 3, 2005
    Sundevil, does any of Haydens acting seem to come off as stiff? and is Yoda's and Palp's fight as short as Yoda's and Dooku's, it sure as hell better be more intense. Dont get me wrong, i loved the the YvsD fight, but this is the emperor. So whats up?

7. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    To anyone that's seen it, was that whole "You're so beautiful"/"you're only saying that because you're so in love" exchange still in? If so, how does it play out? Cheesy? Bad? Okay?

And does that scene end with the "I haven't laughed in so long" exchange? Is that where it transitions to the nightmare scene?

8. ddrewes

ddrewes Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2005
    to Keleel3, It was in there and I thought it actually played out great, sapy ,but it worked.

9. TadoFett

TadoFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004
    So what does Obi-Wan get to watch in the hologram?

10. clerk

clerk Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 2, 1998
    So exactly the following scene is there?

Yoda: (continuing) Master Kenobi, wait a moment. In your solitude on Tatooine, training I have for you.
    Obi-Wan: Training??
    Yoda: An old friend has learned the path to immortality.
    Obi-Wan: Who?
    Yoda: One who has returned from the nether world of the Force to train me . . . your old master, Qui-Gon Jinn.
    Obi-Wan: Qui-Gon? But how could he accomplish this?
    Yoda: The secret of the Ancient Order of the Whills, he studied. How to communicate with him, I will teach you.
    Obi-Wan: I will be able to talk with him?
    Yoda: How to join the Force, he will train you. Your conciousness you will retain, when one with the Force. Even your physical self, perhaps.

Or, perhaps, did Lucas add a bit of the flavor from the Qui-Gon dialogue into this scene; information like Qui-Gon's paradox: to achieve permanence, one must learn to let go of eveything, including the physical self, and to replace all these things with compassion and love?

11. Django_Fett72

Django_Fett72 Jedi Youngling

Aug 30, 2004
    So... do they show the scene where it is revealed that R2-D2 has been Palpatine's spy droid all along?

12. Darth-Nobody

Darth-Nobody Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 30, 2004
    Sorry if this has been asked before but do we get to see Yoda's pod get shot off to Dagobah?

We all know Yoda's arrival to Dagobah has been cut but I'll be satisfied if we just get to see his pod get shot off to the planet.

13. NICHOLAS_SKYWALKER

NICHOLAS_SKYWALKER Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2005
    For anyone who has seen the movie(there seems to be so much of yous) do the clone troopers look... well real? can you tell there cgi?

14. Deeysew

Deeysew Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    Um. forgive me if this has already been talked about before. how does threepio gain that one silver part of his body?

15. General_Banious

General_Banious Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 25, 2004
    Oh yeah the dream sequence is still in the film...it's basically Padme screaming during child birth and Obi Wan patting her on the arm saying "Hold on Padme, save your energy. Don't let go"

Ummm...that´s different from an early review posted some time ago...I am bringing it for comparison:

PART I

Seeing the nearly completed Revenge of the Sith brings forth some strong emotions, most noteable of all is that the 30 year ride George has taken us on has now come to an end.

I remember seeing Star Wars in 1977 as a boy and feeling a thrill that I never had before, and haven't since in a movie theatre. Being a part of the Star Wars generation gave me alot of expectations for the prequels. When I saw Phantom Menace, I was just happy to see another Star Wars, but the film felt empty, lacking the heart the Originals had. Then came Clones, another film I had the privilege to preview a month before its opening. The second installment was enjoyable, but had its fair share of problems. If anything it was a setup for the movie we all wanted to see, a movie which the prequels were made for in the first place - Episode III. So this is it, the last in the trilogy as well as the saga. Buckle up kids, come May 19 you'll get your last cinematic trip to a galaxy far, far away....

The question from everyone off the bat will be a simple: 'Is it any good?' A follow up would likely be, 'Is is everything I've hoped for and more? Is it the best of them all?' While the answers will likely vary from person to person, in my very humble opinion, having gone into the film with hefty expectations though hesitent to buy into the hype that's been created....

Yes. The film is good. Really good. Revenge of the Sith is a shocking piece of cinema that will likely go down with most fans as the best film in the saga. I say shocking because I would have never imagined that some of the images in this film would come after the gold yellow logo and the main titles we've come to love. The film gets brutal. It's dark, and that's sure to make fans happy and turn some others off. The effectiveness of the film would not be possible without the work of some great talent, and that ladies and gentlemen is what makes me most pleased with Revenge of the Sith.

Well it's about time. The pacing is fast and furious, with a grave urgency attached to every scene in the film. The space battle sets the tone early as pilots frantically fight to survive and strike a crushing blow against the enemy fleet. Our Jedi heroes lighten the mood occasionally with quips and exchanges that were lacking from the previous movies. I now know how great a friend Anakin was to Obi-wan Kenobi. The battle itself is like nothing else in the previous films. The camera winds, dives and brings you into the chaos in what can only be described as dazzling. Computer graphics have made a giant leap forward since Clones, and this sequence takes advantage. It is truly something to be experienced.

PART II

Also during the opening battle we are introduced to the saga's newest villain, the part alien part droid, General Grievous. His introduction is classic, that of a frustrated commander shouting orders while occasionally losing his breath and coughing loudly, a colourful addition that adds life to the droid. While he does display a kind of sinister wit, the character may fall victom to the criticism that plagued Jar Jar and other computer generated characters of the prequels. Grievous's sterotypical villain dialogue is sure to be a point of attack from weary critics and fans. The character that immediately comes to mind is "Bosley" from the Care Bears television show. His animation, for the most part, is spectacular and really gets to shine in a fight to the death with Obi-wan Kenobi later in the film.

The battle in space soon carries over to a skirmish aboard an enemy cruiser as the Jedi (and a aggressive R2-D2) move to rescue the captive chancellor. This scene really stuck out in my mind because it directly echos the Death Star scenes in Star Wars. Th

16. darth_sky_skywalker

darth_sky_skywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 26, 2005
    great thread i feel, cool to see so many ppl loved it and thought it was great, i cant wait...

im a bit perplexed as to maces death, ive just played and finished the game and all of the cut scenes are great and worth the $80 i paid for it without doubt, but if u watch the 'dark vs light' and 'the new apprentice' clips it shows (in DvL) mace pinning palps up against the wall threatening palps with his saber (palps cowering hehe) with the smashed window inches away then shows anakin igniting the saber ("NOOOOOO") like in the tv spots before cutting to a ingame movie...then in the 'new apprentice' clip it has palps still cowering in the corner and anakin saying "what have i done" whilst falling back onto the desk and dropping his saber before palps stands up and says "fulfilling ur destiny" or somthing, its strange

would somebody be able to clarify plz, is it anakin or palps, cos those clips just posed more questions cos everything ive read has palps zapping him out the window, not sitting in the same position for 'x' amount of minutes or seconds.

17. Dom_OO7

Dom_OO7 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 25, 2005
    Wow having read all of this, I am really excited to see this film. Oh man, I can't take it anymore, why can't it be May 19th already?!?!

18. JediDa-cam18

JediDa-cam18 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2001
    This thread is getting me extremely excited, I can't wait!

Also when Padme first tells Anakin she's pregnant there is some kinda scary, ominous music that plays and Anakin looks mad until he says "that's wonderful news". It played out real well.

That's interesting. Im guessing Anakin has probably had the dream of Padme dying during childbirth for awhile. So learning he will be a father is not as happy news for him as it should be.

19. Darthette

Darthette Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 2003
    I think Anakin wasn't too happy about having to share Padme's love with anyone, including his own children.

20. ForceAlly

ForceAlly Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2001
    Just came back from a local press screening. Those press people actually gave a loud applause when the end credits began. That must be something, right? ;)

Except the part already mentioned that Anakin pledged himself to be a Sith too quickly, the only other gripe I have was that when after seeing the holograms at Jedi Temple, Obi-Wan said, "I cannot watch this anymore." Ewan's face didn't really look like he meant it....

About the hologram, I missed the very first few seconds thanks to the lady sat in front of me. For what i saw, Anakin first fought a few Jedi, and I believe one of them was Cin. Then the hologram cut to Anakin walked besides Sidious, And one more cut to Anakin kneed before Sidious reporting Jedi were wiped out.

IMO, the love scenes in RotS were far more believable than those in AotC. And since we are at this, the scene Obi-Wan said goodbye to Anakin before he boarded the cruiser was really emotional.

The fight between Yoda and Palpatine was longer than the fight between Yoda and Dooku. There were a wide shot showing the two of them fighting on the chancellor's pod in the middle giant but empty senate hall, which gave an absolutely epic feeling.

No, of course Artoo was not Palpatine's spy droid ;)

And there was no Dagobah. No escape pot ejecting, no escape pot landing. Nothing.

The clones looked all right to me. I hardly thought about they are CG, even during the Utapau assault scenes.

Threepio didn't get his silver leg in the film.

And the exchange between Yoda and Obi-Wan onboard Tantive IV, IIRC, were cut to like this:

Yoda: Master Kenobi, wait a moment. In your solitude on Tatooine, training I have for you.
    Obi-Wan: Training?
    Yoda: An old friend has learned the path to immortality.
    Obi-Wan: Who?
    Yoda: One who has returned from the nether world of the Force to train me . . . your old master, Qui-Gon Jinn.
    Obi-Wan: Qui-Gon?
    Yoda: How to communicate with him, I will teach you.

21. Deeysew

Deeysew Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    No silver leg?

That confirms it for me. The tv show will be the Adventures of R2-D2 and C3P0. Damn.

EDIT: Also, apparently two lovers who are seperated by war can find time to pop out two kids but some poor farmers on a dustball planet can't? Is there some dialogue that explains to us how Owen shoots blanks? GL could have handled this in AotC, with beru feeling sad about not being able to make babies with Owen, ever, that would have been swell... anything in RotS aboout this?

22. AnakinBrego

AnakinBrego Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2004
    Thank you for all the information ddrewes!

23. NICHOLAS_SKYWALKER

Apr 3, 2005
    ForceAlly could you explain how the death star constuction plays out, whats it look like and is the imperial march playing while palps,tarkn and vader are standing there watching it? And hows the final scene play out with obi-wan delivering baby luke to own and beru?

24. NICHOLAS_SKYWALKER

Apr 3, 2005
    Hey for the people that have seen rots can you please answer me this question; whats bail like in it? or should I say "whats jimmy smits acting like for bail in rots?" :)

25. Darth_Imran

Darth_Imran Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    Can anyone confirm if Shaak Ti is killed on screen by Anakin (you know, the red and white Jedi)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.