main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*OFFICIAL THREAD* Initial Reactions for RotS

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by RolandofGilead, May 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anna-neko

Anna-neko Jedi Youngling

Feb 5, 2005
    Does Sidious have a surplus of lightsabers? He lost it against Mace. Then had it against Yoda.

I had this crack theory that he has a collection of them from everyone he killed! Kinda like Grevious, but in less color choices

Has your point of view about Vader's death changed at all? If Padme can die from losing the will to live then is it possible that Vader did the same?

I stand by my theory of those med~droids being idiots!
    Padme was choked for a while, then left to lie on a sweltering heat~hell of a planet. Plus all that stress of actual child~birth! I'm sure it wasn't as lame as "well, this sucks! I don't wanna live anymore" death....
    ..um.... yeah... I'm totaly not helping :oops:

And I DID NOT see James Earl Jones in the credits. I looked for it the second time but didn't see his name. Did I miss it or is it not there?

He's in there! IMDB.com has him listed
    GL has this fun habit of forgettin to credit people first time around. I'm sure it'll be fixed for DVD

2. TravCon12

TravCon12 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 7, 1998
    Anyone else notice what appreared to me to be a nod to Terence Malick and The Thin Red Line?

Note that in the making of The Thin Red Line several actors said that Malick would run them through a scene several times and then for the last take he would make them do the scene but not actually say their lines. Malick would have the actors just move around, look at each other, say the lines in their heads, assume the other actor is doing the same and try to play out the scene without the words. In addition if you listen to the part where Nolte's character and Travolta's character are discussing the coming invasion of Guadalcanal on the transport ship there is a part where I believe Malick choose to use the part of the takes where he had the actors do the scene without dialogue. It was scored by Hans Zimmer and its on the sound track as Track 2. Now if you take the scene with Padme and Anakin both looking out the window and listen to the score (Padme's Ruminations) at that point it very nearly mirrors the scene from The Thin Red Line.

Am I crazy?

Even if its not a nod or inspiration I like the parrallels.

3. The Flying Dutchman

The Flying Dutchman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2000
    I think it's brilliant. It's like Sids is mocking Mace. As Mace is screaming, Sids starts to join him "Nooo! Noooooo! Noooooooo!". I thought it was great!

wow, good point!

4. Maphisto86

Maphisto86 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2005

5. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    Finally finally finally....I got to see the movie. Let me just say I'm stunned because this movie was so good it's absolutely silly. I thought everything was top notch, the direction, score, visual effects, sound(this is the best sounding Star Wars movie ever) The dialogue I thought was terrific. And I even like the Noooo scene. I didn't think there was one bad performance in the movie. And I truly hope that Ewan McGregor becames a bonafide A list star after this.

One other thing, was anyone exhausted after the movie was over? From when Mace and the other Jedi visited Palpatine to the end of the movie I was left breathless. Only two other movies have left me this drained, Saving Private Ryan and Return of the King.

I'm already making plans to see it again tomorrow and probably later on in the week.

Bravo to all involved in this film. Bravo!!!!

6. Jedi_Hunter_505

Jedi_Hunter_505 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2004
    "ONCE MORE THE SITH WILL RULE THE GALAXY...AND THEN WE SHALL HAVE...PEACE!!!"

GREAT FRIEKEN MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!1

2ND BEST SW MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. RangerFett

RangerFett Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 28, 2005
    Maybe somebody has already posted this, I don't know, but here's one initial reaction I had--

ROTS didn't "feel" like a PT movie. Nor did it feel like an OT movie. The flavor, the voice, the style seemed almost all onto itself. Yeah, sure, there was Williams' score, and characters we've seen before, but I remember thinking somewhere in the middle of the rescue aboard Grievous' ship -- "this movie feels different."

Did anybody get that feeling? I know this is not the best articulated reaction (by the way, I loved the film; third favorite SW behind ESB and ANH). But to me, it felt almost like a stand-alone Star Wars movie.

Thoughts?

8. starwarsagent

starwarsagent Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    I just talked to a co-worker here and asked him how was the movie. he said this.

"the movie dragged"

I told him I tought this was the best star wars film ever and he said. "nah, it dragged"

thats all he said. what do you all think?

9. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    I think it's brilliant. It's like Sids is mocking Mace. As Mace is screaming, Sids starts to join him "Nooo! Noooooo! Noooooooo!". I thought it was great!

AGREED! =D=

10. Darth_Turkey

Darth_Turkey Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 5, 2004
    Did anybody get that feeling? I know this is not the best articulated reaction (by the way, I loved the film; third favorite SW behind ESB and ANH). But to me, it felt almost like a stand-alone Star Wars movie.

I totally agree, the part in the movie i realised this one neither one nor the other was the sceene where Anakin looks to the horizon and padame looks back, with kind of middle-eastern singing in the background, just before the mace confrontation where anakin has to choose . . . Never heard that score in a SW film and it worked so well. I loved that sceene, my fave of the the movie. This movie is both a OT and PT movie, as it links the two trilogies so well, yet it stands alone (as stated above) in it's own right with it's own vibe.

I loved it, thats all i can say. I saw a midnight showing on the 18th and was the first person into the cinema, i felt like no one had higher hopes than me regarding this movie, and i was not let down even 1 tiny bit. I could nit-pic about the droid voices, or cheesey dialogue . . . but it would'nt be a SW movie without a little cheese. So bring on the cheese, i loved the movie from sart to finish and watched it the very next night.

11. MrC123

MrC123 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2004
    Wanted to bump this just so that people could read what their initial reactions were before many people began bashing ROTS to death. Reading some peoples' initial reactions just made me smile.

12. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    After discussing it in-depth with some friends earlier... I might just have to say it's probably my favorite movie ever. Are there better movies? Maybe, probably. I just happen to prefer Episode III to them all.

13. Jedi_in_Love

Jedi_in_Love Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 15, 2005
    In response to starwarsagent above . I don't think it dragged at all.Don't know what movie your co-worker /friend saw ? RotS was just about perfect for me . Like I posted in my reation after opening night GL wasted nothing in this movie and the story goes at a good pace.

Pooja , I sort get what your saying about it being your favorite movie. It has been a long time (if ever) that I just want to see a movie over and over again . I saw it again today and I'm still so overwhelmed how great it is. :)

14. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004
    A couple of things....even though Palps seduction line "the Jedi and the Sith are alike in almost every way" is b.s. there was a hint of some truth of that in the film.

When Anakin kills Dooku, Palpy says "he was too dangerous to be left alive."
    When Mace is trying to kill Palpy he tells Anakin, "he's too dangerous to be left alive."

And then this below: I love the symmetry: Same scenario!

In ROTS:

Anakin turns to the darkside and becomes Vader when he saves Palpy while he's being attacked by Mace and using force lightning on him.

CONVERSELY: In Return of the Jedi...

Vader turns back to the lightside and becomes Anakin when he saves Luke while he's being attacked by Palpy and using force lightning on him. :)

15. Master-obiwan

Master-obiwan Jedi Master star 1

Aug 13, 2004
    Yes rots did seem to be a different movie than all the others.. But It was the best of them all.. My fav part was the yoda-sid fight... " If so powerful you are.. why run.. I loved that part.. Great film. 10\10

16. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    On a similar note I loved Yoda taunting Palpatine with his lightsaber as he said "Faith in your apprentice, misplaced may be, as your faith in the Dark Side" or whatever the line was, pardon my ignorance.

17. Obilieveinme

Obilieveinme Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    a guy at work hated it...he listened to the audio novel and couldn't get over how weak Padme was in the movie. He said the movie left out alot of important things. He said he couldn't enjoy it at all and Anakin turnig was not credible.

I told him to go watch Madagascar.

18. Rainbow Knight Star

Rainbow Knight Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 18, 2005
    I thought ROTS was awesome!.
    Darth Vader's birth was my favorite part of the whole movie.
    I also liked Yoda and Obi-Wan.
    Chewbacca made me smile, and C3PO and R2D2 made me laugh.

19. Thulium

Thulium Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 1999
    Although I can't say I feel the same way, I think I know what you're getting at. The overabundance of CGI, not just characters but nearly everything in this movie was CG somewhere. The trouble with all this is that it stops feeling like something you can reach out and touch. In the original trilogy, when Luke is first seen flying in a landspeeder or ignighting his father's lightsaber, it was really special because everything else--while perhaps a bit alien (desert, droids, spaceships, etc)--seemed like something real. Bad special effects and all, it seemed like a real place that you could actually visit and touch and see all these amazing things.

There was plenty of CG in Episode I, more in Episode II, and by Episode III you start to feel like the movie was filmed inside the Matrix: Wire-stunts, cg face replacement, blue and green screen sets, etc. start to lose their novelty and just start feeling plastic.

As I said, I don't entirely feel that way. I love Revenge of the Sith, but I know the feeling you're talking about. Actually, I think a great deal of that feeling went away seeing the movie as it was meant to be seen in DLP--give that a try and see if it doesn't cure what ails ya. Even though you "know" everything is fake, when there is THAT much detail, it starts to feel real again.

20. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    I sure wish I'd seen the version everyone else seems to have seen, as the movie I saw was average at best. [/sarcasm]

At least the book was entertaining.

21. Zelda_Skywalker

Zelda_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 4, 2005
    I've been refered to alot of places and this amongst them to post this...Hope this is where it goes..just tell me if not..and I'll relocate it elsewhere...

On the premering night of Revenge of the Sith, there were the Star Wars fanatics in line, dressed as anything from Darth Vader to Yoda. and then there were those, who were just going to see how the saga ended, to say they've watched it...at the end when Darth Vader's table rose,after he had just been placed in the armor, The Star Wars fans applauded, including myself. The others were yelling for all of us to shut it up and watch the movie..I know it is a little late to be posting this, but now it's becoming a big problem wherever you go. If you walk around with a saber, they say, there's one of thoses people that made all the noise in the theatres...Happening around you? just asking...

*-*-*ROCK ON!*-*-*

22. Newone

Newone Jedi Youngling

Dec 11, 2005
    i completely loved it [face_peace] it ranks second only after ESB.

23. Wester547

Wester547 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    I like it too, but..... to be frank, I think it's causticly overrated. One of its very undermining merits, IMHO, is the fact that it tries too hard to be a great movie, when really it's pretty bland and rushed, and that's one of its most very notable, even if this specific flaw I'm on about is very subtle.

That's the base of half of the film's problems, even though it's apparently better than the other two for the umpteenth time, but hey, we all instinctively KNEW it would be. Although it still pales in comparison to the classic trilogy, at least, IMO. To rank it right up there with TESB is insane, I think.

24. Newone

Newone Jedi Youngling

Dec 11, 2005
    i dont think it pales next to the OT i think that its better than both ANH and ROTJ and i think its close to ESB.we can disagree you know.

25. bjs847725

bjs847725 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 8, 2005
    ROTS is the best movie out of the six. I know the acting and script can be stale at times, but even in the OT, the acting wasn't Casablanca. TPM and ROTJ both were a disgrace to the Star Wars series. TPM had bad acting, the gungans, watto, and a lot of stuff that just wasn't neccessary to the story. ROTJ had a "weak" looking Vader, a "Super" Luke, a Han Solo that wasn't a smartass anymore, and the crappy Ewoks who destroyed the Empires best troops, yeah right who's going to believe that. ROTS is the best, because the acting was good enough, the action is amazing, the best special effects, and the only one in the series that had a bit of realism in there. It had corruption, more violence, implications of sex, tragedy, and no Ewoks or Jar Jar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.