main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*OFFICIAL THREAD* Initial Reactions for RotS

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by RolandofGilead, May 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wester547

Wester547 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    You should know, what you're doing here is taking the issues TPM has and kicking them into full gear, and making ROTS look like a god. Let me tell you right now, the acting in TPM exceeds ROTS's acting (which is the king of being wooden, "good enough"? Dream on), and ROTJ, while it has its share of problems, at least has a more mature Luke from the whiney one and the one of the best space battles of the whole Saga.

The PT's script is terrible all around, period. No getting around that fact.

So by proclaiming it to be the best movie of all six, you must mean better than ANH and TESB, no?

Best special effects? That's typical and mandatory for the latest Star Wars film.

ROTJ had a weak looking Vader? ROTJ has REDEEMING looking Vader.

Han Solo's character was simply going through development to becoming a more compassionate person, although I do agree, his character was weakened in ROTJ.

Watto was actually okay.

No, the acting certainly wasn't Jehovah in the Star Wars saga, but in the OT, it was cheesey, yet it met satisfactory. In the PT, it's stiff, and just downright bad.

2. farrellg

farrellg Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2005
    and ROTJ, while it has its share of problems, at least has a more mature Luke from the whiney one and the one of the best space battles of the whole Saga.

I agree with this. ROTJ has a lot going for it. Luke is more confident and mature, the Emperor is as evil as ever in addition to putting on the most impressive display of force power in the saga, and Vader has an interesting character arc.

My initial impression was that ROTS was possibly the best in the saga. I don't feel its the best anymore, but certain aspects of the film were very good. It has the best saber duels in the saga (especially vs. Mace's posse), we have the opportunity to see Anakin's fall to the dark side, and we see all of Palpatine's careful plans come to fruition in the formation of the Empire.

3. Wester547

Nov 5, 2004
    Mace vs. Palpatine? The best duel of the Saga? LOL!

Yeah Anakin's one second fall to the darkside: "You have the power to save my wife who I'm going to end up killing and will sacrifise anything for it, all that I value and all my friends for this **** NEW EVILLL!1111 KEWLORZZ OMGORZ!!1122233 Oh and I'll just do anything you ask of me even after killing one of the most imperative members and Jedi Masters on the Council, even after finally realizing you're the Sith Lord we've been searching for."

Palpatine's careful plans to come to fruition in the formation of the Empire and his rein of the galaxy? Yeah, that was pretty clever -- but seeing his butt handed over to Mace and beaten fair and square by Yoda was no fun.... and what's with Yoda's force push? It seems as if Palpatine actually deliberately LET it happen, as if it was faked and stage. And I dunno how drunk or just slow Sidious was, but him not being able to notice Yoda finally smashing those pods back in his face and not being able to see where he's coming from next in fear dubbs him rightfully SLOW. Yes, I know that Yoda is REALLY fast - but Palpatine should be able to track him with ease. It IS "Clash of the Titans", after all!

Sorry for ranting, just can't help it really.

4. Darth_Zoo

Darth_Zoo Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    When I left the theater the first time after seeing RotS I was indifferent. I had imagined the movie would be somewhat different. It was very dark, very gruesome, and felt un-Star Warsy to me. I liked it but didn't think it was that great.

After seeing it a second time and warming up to the movie on the boards I began to really like it. The third time I saw it [face_love]. So it too me awhile to warm up to RotS. But is definetly one of the best films in the saga. An excellent movie compared to ANY movie.

5. farrellg

Mar 17, 2005
    Palpatine's careful plans to come to fruition in the formation of the Empire and his rein of the galaxy? Yeah, that was pretty clever -- but seeing his butt handed over to Mace and beaten fair and square by Yoda was no fun.... and what's with Yoda's force push?

I agree that the movie would be better if no one could "compete" with the Emperor in battle. However, I think the movie did a good job at showing all of the intricate manipulations that Palpatine has woven.

ROTS really gives you an idea of what great lengths Palpatine has gone to in order to start his Empire and turn Anakin. He fakes his kidnapping, convinces Anakin to commit murder, arranges for certain troublesome Jedi to be off-world when he reveals himself, plants subtle seeds of mistrust regarding the Jedi in Anakin's mind, dangles the ability to cheat death in front of a desperate Anakin, and convinces the Senate that the Jedi are traitors and he needs to be instated as Emperor.

Mace vs. Palpatine? The best duel of the Saga? LOL!

I thought it was the best duel of the saga because Palpatine killed three Jedi Masters so easily.

6. Wester547

Nov 5, 2004
    Yes, that's why it's the best duel in the Saga. Even if the choreography is apathetically sloppy or just non-existent.

7. SSIntimidator

SSIntimidator Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2003
    So, can anyone tell me why Obi-Wan didn't have a green blade even though he was a master?

And um, as a Jedi wouldn't you just force push the dang buzz droids off yer ship :)

8. farrellg

Mar 17, 2005
    Yes, that's why it's the best duel in the Saga. Even if the choreography is apathetically sloppy or just non-existent.

I think the most important aspect of the scene is to show the Emperor is extremely powerful, while the Jedi are merely "feeble". It did a wonderful job at illustrating this.

9. SSIntimidator

SSIntimidator Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2003
    So really, how come Obi-Wan didn't have a green 'master' blade in this movie? Humor me :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.