main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*OFFICIAL THREAD* Jedi Disappearing/Jedi Ghosts

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by dehrian, Jul 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Grover

Jedi_Master_Grover Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2005
    Is it possible to call the ghost of dead Jedi,like a séance, or do they just show up whenever they feel like it?

2. JediPrettyBoy

JediPrettyBoy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005
    They show up when necessary only. They don't do many requests.

3. Baul-MeowT

Baul-MeowT Jedi Youngling

Sep 9, 2003
    I think "toejam" said that Liam didnt speak at all in ROTS.

My question goes out to anyone who has seen the movie (not read the script or novel or comics or game.)

Is the disappearing jedi explicitly discussed on screen or is it left out entirely?

4. DarthSkeptical

DarthSkeptical Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 19, 2001
    It is indeed explicitly discussed. But, to my eyes, Lucas has himself walked a "middle path" and given us something between his post-AOTC claim that he would have Liam come back to do something more extensive than reusing dialogue from TPM and his 1997 quote that "it will never be explained."

I really thought Qui Gon was going to be in this thing a bit more than he is, but what we have is just enough to get Lucas off the hook of forgetting about it entirely. It's cool that Yoda sends Obi Wan off to Tatooine with the explicit instruction to learn from Qui Gon--so we see where that power came from--but it's...not enough somehow.

In no way does this movie explain the difference between Qui-Gon's death (where his corpse remains), and that of Obi Wan, Yoda and Anakin in the OT (where they disappear). Indeed, I think it's fair to say that the whole "disappearing act" never makes it directly into this film. One can extrapolate that Qui Gon was the first to use this power, and therefore not as good as those who would come after him, but I wanted a little more than that.

Now that the journey is complete, I'd love to see this topic get more active again so we can have some ideas about what Lucas was really trying to get at with the Jedi afterlife.

5. -Master_Yoda-

-Master_Yoda- Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2005
    So, now you've all seen Episode III, was it explained?

My answer:

Yes

But in a very lame way. The cut Qui-gon scene should have been included.

6. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    From the new Sith Revenge OS databank entry of Anakin Skywalker:

Aboard the second Death Star at the Battle of Endor, Anakin Skywalker lay dying. He asked his son to remove his life-sustaining helmet, so that he could look upon his long lost son with his own eyes. Having saved his son's life, and reclaimed his soul from the dark side, Anakin died and became one with the Force. As he shed his corporeal form, he found the spectral forms of Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda ready for his return. Through compassion and selflessness, Anakin discovered the secret knowledge of the Shaman of the Whills, a technique that allowed him to retain his identity in the netherworld of the Force.

Anakin's spectral form looked upon his two children -- the twins Luke Skywalker and Leia Organa -- during the celebration at Endor.

So is this saying Anakin discovers it through compassion on his own?

7. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    So is this saying Anakin discovers it through compassion on his own?

It appears so, I posted this in the other thread , so i'll just put it here instead.

The Jedi would bide their time, sensing through the Force when the moment was right to oppose the Empire. In the interim, Yoda and Obi-Wan would study the Shaman of Whills' knowledge from the disembodied form of Qui-Gon Jinn.

Is This where ObiWan and Yoda learn from QuiGon how to retain their identities after they die?.I guess the teachings they learn come to be called the Whills, sorta like out of the SW novel intro?. and I guess Qui Gon becomes a "Shaman of the Whills" . maybe a master of the force , so to speak?

As he shed his corporeal form, he found the spectral forms of Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda ready for his return. Through compassion and selflessness, Anakin discovered the secret knowledge of the Shaman of the Whills, a technique that allowed him to retain his identity in the netherworld of the Force.

And i guess that after Anakin turns back, and saves Luke,he then Meets ObiWan and Yoda and they help him to cross over and retain his identity.it does not explain how Anakin learned the secret, it just implies that His sacrifice allowed Yoda And ObiWan to save him.Maybe the sacrifice was the Lesson?, who knows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.