main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*OFFICIAL THREAD* Jedi Purge Discussion

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by DarthTader, Oct 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    Asaj was a potential apprentice to Darth Tyranus. She was not a Jedi.

2. Get_in_Gear

Get_in_Gear Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 29, 2004
    But they are also, by definition, not part of the Jedi religion either.
    Hence, IMO, "Dark Jedi" is an oxymoron that has little relation to the films.

3. jedipadawanjoe14

jedipadawanjoe14 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 7, 2005
    yes i kno she wasnt a jedi, thats what i just said, she was a dark jedi, not a sith, not a jedi, not part of either jedi or sith, just kinda runs around killing people- although she probly wanted to be a sith

4. Count-Tyranus

Count-Tyranus Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 7, 2005
    For the sake of discussion, after Order 66, anyone who is a force user trained in the Jedi arts and who is NOT a Sith, should be considered to be a Jedi and have a bounty on their head.

The looser application of the term Jedi is more fitting as, technically, after Order 66 and the abolition of the Jedi Order by the Empire, there are no Jedi.

It seems that given the number of Jedi who survived the purge, that at least one of them will show up in the upcoming TV series between ROTS and ANH. My wager is on Master Vos, he seems the type of chap that would be rather fun to hunt down. He would give good sport.

5. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    Yeah I'd be careful of the pedantics around "Dark Jedi." That's a pretty touchy subject and there have been exchanges back and forth on it for ages.

I actually just read the ROTS book and I know it's EU but despite being disapointed in the book itself I was really disapointed with how the author just rushed through the purge. We get just a little bit more than the movie and it's not like he was trying to stay kid friendly, the stuff thats in their is pretty raw. I NEED MORE!!!!!

Any way... yeah Vos would be cool in the series, though I've had people tell me that the Vos mentioned in ROTS isn't Quinlan Vos because there's nothing to back it up. Another raging debate!

6. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Any way... yeah Vos would be cool in the series, though I've had people tell me that the Vos mentioned in ROTS isn't Quinlan Vos because there's nothing to back it up. Another raging debate!

A master Jar-Jar Vos would be even greater sport to hunt down. :p

7. Count-Tyranus

Count-Tyranus Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 7, 2005
    Indeed. A whole series devoted to Jar Jar's very timely and brutal execution would break records for viewership.

8. purpilian

purpilian Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2005
    In the scene when Anakin/vader enters and spots the Younglings, you definitely see the other rooms behind him. Is this an error or is thhe some sive diff. in the spires.

9. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Good question, I'll have to watch ROTS again.

Many jedi will definetly die in this film. We should also see the jedi we know and love since TPM bite the dust too. This will be just the beginning though in what will be a massive overhaul of jedi deaths between ROTS and ANH.

Koon in '05 to survive!!

Man that was the summer of '04 and I was so hopeful.

So what jedi from the movies or even EU will be in the TV series:
    give us your guess or just who you want. I would like to see
    any jedi from the movies in the tv series.

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The majority of the film Jedi are dead, save for those who went into hiding. Most of the long running eu Jedi are dead as well. Quinlan Vos, Thomle and Vos's child are alive. An'ya Kuro dies one year before ANH. Olee Starstone is alive. Brand survives, but is totally injured. When this happens I'm not sure. I imagine that since Lucas approved the survival of Thomle and the Vos family, that they'll probably play a part.

11. whostheBossk

Apr 16, 2002
    That would work, but I feel like using an actor from the PT would
    help the TV series relate and give it a real good feel. Even a no
    name character (Bultar Swan, Even Piell) would work. Council
    members would be the first choice, followed by on film jedi, then
    EU or etc. Bad guys would include of course Boba Fett, Clonetroopers, and maybe Vader if James Earl Jones could pull it off.

12. Darkus

Darkus Jedi Youngling

Feb 20, 2006
    yep - ROTS was definitely eye candy. GL made lots of lavish expensive scenes that we only saw for seconds. i would even include Wookie world in that - too short.
    for those like me that have only seen whats on TV, DVD or movies, i must say that i was not attached to the jedi that was killed - they definitely needed more screen time. i would go as far as to say most of the jedi that i saw killed appeared quite wimpish, which also did not help me care what happened to them. In AOTC and ROTS, you see single jedi leading the clones against an army of droids. thats hardcore! but when the clones shoot them it was a different story. Maybe the TV series will delve more into the surviving characters.

13. SEPARATESICKLEROOK2

SEPARATESICKLEROOK2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 1, 2003
    I would like to see it revealed how the remaining Jedi die. I do not like the EU's insistence that many Jedi survived and went into hiding, or that the clones of some lived on. When Yoda said "When gone am I, the last of the Jedi will you be" to Luke, I believe that. i believe that Yoda and Ben were the only ones that survived the purge, and they did so by hiding themselves well to shelter and support the only Jedi that would matter in the future, Luke. Luke was the key to Anakin's redemption.

14. whostheBossk

Apr 16, 2002
    This point has been touched on enough in this Thread, but you
    said the answer right there in your last sentence, Luke was the
    emotional connection the jedi needed to break through to Vader.
    No other jedi would have provided this ,so what does it matter
    who else survived? It doesn't, but obviously some did and will
    make the tv series which I'm looking forward to. By ANH , all
    these jedi will be no more except the 2 we know, anyhow.....

15. JFuchs77

JFuchs77 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    The Jedi Purge/Order 66 has to be the most saddest part in the movie. Agen Kolar, Saesee Tiin, Kit Fisto, Mace Windu, Quinlan Vos, Ki-Adi-Mundi, Aayla Secura, Plo Koon, Stass Allie, Zett Jukassa, Luminara Unduli, Barriss Offee, Cin Dralliig, and those other Jedi. Dead, even the younglings.

16. DarthDubya05

DarthDubya05 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2005
    actually, we don't see them die. we just see Anakin light his saber, and then the scene changes. for all we know, Anakin could have had tea and Crumpets with them. we never know.

17. JediStarKiller2

JediStarKiller2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 5, 2006
    It's implied. Remember when Obi tells Padme he killed younglings? He watched the security records...

So no tea and crumpets for those kids...they dead.

18. DarthDubya05

DarthDubya05 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2005
    and? PAlpatine cou;ld have conjured up those Tapes using Old Sith Magic. and besides, if we don't see their body, they are not dead. so There!

19. TerranOvermind

TerranOvermind Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2004
    I was recently pondering the emotional impact the Jedi Purge had on moviegoers and wanted to pose an interesting question:

Do you think this event had more of an impact because most of us had already fell in love with how the Jedi were portrayed in the OT (Yoda, Ben, Luke, etc.)?

In other words, if we had started the saga in sequence (Eps.1,2,3,...), would we have been as heartbroken as we were?

Remember, the Jedi in the Prequel trilogy, with the exception of Qui-Gon Jinn, were portrayed as selfless but nearly emotionless protectors of the peace (basically more like cops, enforcers of the law, not the pinnacle of all things good). Further, in order to join the Order, it was custom for children to be taken from their families, to make separation from emotional love easier. They were protectors, but it seemed like they had no real reason to inspire that protection other than the thought of universal harmony. It wasn't a personal desire; it was duty.

Now we know that the Jedi learned from this mistake and had more heart by the time of the OT, but this was AFTER they were nearly destroyed.

Do you think that what we felt during this scene was because of the more compassionate view we had of the Jedi from the OT, or from how the Jedi were seen in the PT?

How differently do you think we would have reacted if we had seen this starting from Episode 1?

whostheBossk likes this.
  20. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    Ok, sorry if this was answered earlier in this thread ( i didnt read thru all of it), but i was wondering if, considering Shaak Ti's death was modified twice, and neither made the final film, can we assume she survives, or did Anakin/GG kill her?

Terran: for me, it would have had an impact, but i dont think it would have been as powerful as it had now, after watching the originals first. After watching the OT, i had way too many years to wonder what the jedi would have been like in their prime:p , and i built the Order up so much, of course it was going to have a deep impact on me. The fact that the Order was destroyed with the help of one of it's member is very tragic and shocking and had i not seen the OT first, i still would have found it terrible.

I do disagree that the jedi are portrayed as emotionless protectors in the prequels, cause i totally didnt get that sense at all. But of course, everyone has their own perceptions of things :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.