main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~~Official Thread~~ **Lightsabre Reference Thread**

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Damillster, Feb 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damillster

Damillster Jedi Master star 4

Jul 24, 2000
    This thread is in response to the numerous ?lightsabre debates?, currently raging throughout the boards. It?s hard to follow all of them, and a new (maybe even redundant) one pops up every time there?s some new scoop.

So, hopefully this will be a ?lightsabre reference thread? that will grow and mature (perhaps even get more accurate) as time marches on. Feel free to discuss ANY sabre of ANY character. I?ll try to keep this thread floating near the top, so people are less likely to start new threads about the Jedi?s trusted weapon.

To start off, I?ll list a bit of information that is currently being discussed. This is PURELY speculation and is not comprehensive. It?s just a start.

--------------------------

Anakin: Most likely it will be blue. Many believe it will be the Graflex-based sabre that ultimately is given to Luke. It has been suggested, however, that Anakin looses his sabre at the end of Episode II and therefore is NOT using the ANH sabre throughout the movie.

Dooku: Most likely red. It is rumored to have a curved handle and a unique sound. Also, an unconfirmed rumor suggests that the color shifts from red to orange and that ILM employees are referring to it as a ?flamesabre?. Personally, I believe that it is longer than a normal sabre (based on the sparring between Ewan and Nick).

Obi-Wan: Big debate here. We?ve all seen the On-Location picture in which his stunt double is clearly using Obi?s Ep. I hilt. Is this just misinformation? We?ve checked out the latest picture from the UK Insider, and we still can?t agree on that one. So?could be green, could be blue, could be old, could be new. This one?s up for grabs.

Mace: There was a big controversy surrounding this sabre and the Visual Dictionary. I don?t know all the details (anyone?), but anyway?we don?t anything about this guy?s ?bad mother?? in Ep. II.

Yoda: Small and green. As for his sabre?.

---------------------------

Please help keep this alive. I hate chasing answers to my lightsabre queries through ten threads.

mod edit: now an official thread. Please use this thread for any and all lightsaber discussion.

2. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    This is the best site I've seen for closeups of the individual sabers.

http://www.synicon.com.au/sw/ls/sabres2e.htm

(Credit to DarthBoba, who posted this link on another thread)

3. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    References from SW.com
    ----------
    JEDI LIGHTSABRE:
    The lightsaber is a distinctive weapon known throughout the Republic as the traditional weapon of the Jedi Knight. Jedi always carry their own lightsabers, which they build themselves as part of their training. A weapon of unusual power and capabilities, the lightsaber can be more dangerous to a novice wielder than to an opponent, and only a highly trained individual can hope to survive with a lightsaber against an nslaught of blaster plasma bolts.

However, for the skilled Jedi, the lightsaber is an amazingly useful weapon which can deflect attacks back at an enemy even as its whirling blade both defends and threatens. The sight of an ignited lightsaber is often enough to end a conflict, since would-be gunmen know that they are likely to find their own deadly shots deflected right back at them.

LIGHTSABRE:
    n essence a blade of pure energy capable of cutting through almost anything, the lightsaber is the noble yet powerful weapon which the Jedi Knights have masterfully wielded for thousands of years.

Although each lightsaber is unique, the weapon's basic design remains the same. The handle, twenty-four to thirty centimeters long, holds a power cell as well as one or more crystals - seldom more than three - whose purpose is to focus the energy released by the power cell into a tight, blade-like beam. The blade's color depends on the nature of the jewel it springs from, and while its length is fixed in the case of a single jewel lightsaber, lightsabers equipped with multiple crystals can have their length varied by rotating a knob which allows the focusing crystal activator to subtly modify the refraction pattern between the gems.

After losing the lightsaber that had been his father's in a duel with Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, in accordance with tradition, builds his own lightsaber as one of the final steps of his Jedi training, before he confronts Jabba the Hutt in his palace on Tatooine.
    ----------

UK Edition of the Insider Enlargement by Lord Molotov:
    http://www.theforce.net/episode2/newspics/obiwansaber.jpg

On Location Photo:
    http://www.theforce.net/episode2/newspics/obi-wan-saber.jpg

4. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Don't believe that crap about how sabres are lasers.

For genuine, accurate speculation about how sabres work, go here:

http://www.synicon.com.au/sw/ls/sabres4.htm

5. Damillster

Jul 24, 2000
    This is a good start. But what I was trying to do was attract some of the posters on threads like "obi-wan will offical ues qui-gon's lightsaber in epsidoe 2". There are many competing threads like this that have various cross-over points. I'd like to bring them all together on one thread.

6. grendelsfork

grendelsfork Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 21, 2000
    theres a new report on the tfn front page about sabers..

7. apprentice1

apprentice1 Jedi Youngling

Feb 5, 2001
    at aldera.net, in the message board that is discussing the saber issue. A user named dan wrote in with a very intersting reply to a post made by a user named "mike" about what saber Obi wan will use and how the sabers we see in ANH (obi wan's saber and the one he gives to luke) He states that he lives near skywalker ranch and saw Rick Mcallumm who said that we might see the sabers from ANH towards the end of Ep 2.

you might want to check it out.

8. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    "accurate speculation"

Isn't that an oxymoron? ;)

9. Kane_Starkiller_1138

Kane_Starkiller_1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2000
    The official site uses lightsabers to display its polling results. For the question: "When did you last watch a Star Wars film?" there are 6 possible responses, and six different lightsaber colors. The extras here are purple, gold, and a lighter color of blue. I think with the toys, the video games, the official site poll results, EU, canon or not, they can't do something GL would tell them not to do. If the next two prequels is inconsistent with the toys, games, comics, novels, etc, many people will be confused and there will be riots in the streets.

10. VADERSROBOTBUTT

VADERSROBOTBUTT Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2000
    OK seriously IF!! and I said IF we see
    new lightsaber colors, what colors would you say the members of the council have?

11. VADERSROBOTBUTT

VADERSROBOTBUTT Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2000
  12. Damillster

Jul 24, 2000
    Just wanted to add this to the 'reference' thread. It is regarding the spelling of the object of discussion. I found it on the following website (which, IMO, is one of the best ones that highlights this elegant weapon).

http://www.synicon.com.au/sw/ls/sabres.htm

-------------------------------------
    "A Brief Note on Spelling
    Virtually the entire world, consistently spells the French word sabre correctly as ''sabRE''. Except that is, for the United States. In the USA, sport-fencers know that the word is spelled sabRE, but common convention employs the curious spelling ''sabER'', largely for the curved sword used by US cavalry forces last century. It is a curious linguistic convention that in the USA, virtually ALL French/Latin-derived spellings of this sort have been reversed, such as ''metER'' for
    metre & ''litER'' for litre, even ''centER'' for centre. Even the British, who have a far greater history of linguistic animosity towards the French, spell gallic words correctly. (If you're interested, I am from Australia).

Whilst STARWARS *IS* a US funded production, even IT originally spelled the word according to international conventions! According to published LUCASFILM policy, ONLY the movies themselves, the film novels and the radio-plays are to be considered canonical - and in that order. The first edition of the ANH novel, therefore, is THE most canonical written source available. There, the word is spelled "lightsabre". To date, the only instance of the word "sabre" seen on screen was during the credits to TESB, where it was also spelled sabRE (a reference to the 'sabre system' CGI-FX programme developed by ILM and used for the sword effects onscreen). Even if the upcoming prequels were to use the word in the credits with US spelling, this original novel takes canonical precedence.

Accordingly, I have choosen to spell "sabre" according to international-English conventions throughout this site. If a few less broadly minded STARWARS fans have a problem with this policy, I can only crave their indulgence. :^)

SPELLING NEWSFLASH: The latest 'official' (non-canon) TPM source book, the new DorlingKindersley - LucasBooks publication: STARWARS EPISODE 1 the Visual Dictionary, by LucasFilm's own Dr David West-Reynolds (maintainer of the official www.starwars.com website, and an American), has chosen to employ the correct spelling ''lightsabRE'' throughout its numerous references!"

--------------------------------------

13. 2002

2002 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2001
    yeah i'm just gonna post this about mace's saber color if people already know this then oh well but it wasn't stated in the beginning of this thread. so anyways i was on the official site and checking character info and stuff and came across mace windu which stated that he carries a "blue bladed saber." so whether thats official or not i'm just letting people know. they are saying BLUE IS THE COLOR.

14. Kane_Starkiller_1138

Kane_Starkiller_1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2000
    Mace also has a blue saber in the Jedi Power Battles where Plo Koon has gold and Adi Gallia has red.

About the spelling of saber/sabre. Right, I think either spelling would be acceptable. I would also have to add that the screenplays and closed captioning use the 'saber' spelling. I don't doubt that GL intended it to be spelled sabre at the beginning because a lot of what he's put into the movies comes from ancient myths and legends from many different cultures.

15. Obey_Wonk_and_No_Bee

Obey_Wonk_and_No_Bee Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 14, 2000
    Just thought I'd share some of my ideas.

1. I don't think we'll be seeing any other sabre colours other than RBG. I seem to recall McCallum stating this very fact. Secondly, I also agree with a previous idea (I believe it was Chyren's) that IF we were going to see any new colours, we would have seen them in TPM.

2. This is how I would like to see sabre colours go:

EPII Obi-Wan: green (perhaps Qui-Gon's)
    EPIII Obi-Wan: green (same one as EPII)
    EPII Anakin: blue (Luke's ANH sabre)
    EPIII Anakin: original blue; then ignites his red sabre for the first time for his duel with Obi-Wan
    EPII & EPIII Mace: Blue
    EII & EPIII Yoda: no lightsabre (at least not ignited) - he doesn't need to use it, he has *other* ways of dealing with things

3. I believe that no matter what, Obi-Wan and Anakin will NOT use the same colour sabres simultaneously.

16. TemplarJedi

TemplarJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 12, 2000
    that's how I hope things will pan out too Obey........

17. 2002

2002 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2001
    from what i've heard anakin in episode II doesn't carry the same saber as the one luke was given in episode IV. so with this upcoming arena battle scene what if this is where anakin gets THAT saber. let me try to explain:

okay i understand that obi-wan and anakin get captured and get their weapons taken away from. then they are put out in the arena with the reek to be killed. but the jedi and eventually the clones come and help them escape. Then obi-wan and anakin go and fight dooku, right? okay well they can't fight with without lightsabers so what if after they are helped they pick up one of the already killed jedi's sabers and fight with those. the one anakin picks up could turn up to be luke's future saber. it would add a back story to it as used in the first clone war. i'm probably way off or this has been said before but its just my speculation.

18. Damillster

Jul 24, 2000
    I'm just updating this reference thread with some new information posted today (02-15-01) on TF.n.
    --------------

"A new spoiler report today from an insider with a perfect track record. Solid information, and some interesting stuff with spoilers:

I saw some of the stuff you posted recently on Obi-Wan's green lightsaber, and thought you would be interested in knowing a bit more about Anakin's sword.

One of the great prequel clues from A New Hope is the sequence between Luke and Obi-Wan where the old man is talking about Luke's father. He opens a small box to reveal to the future Jedi that inside is a lightsaber to be given him at the right time. He identifies it as a gift from his father.

Luke brandishes the weapon and eventually helps destroy the Evil Empire with it. There's plenty more irony once you discover this:

I can tell you in full confidence that in Episode II, Anakin is using that same exact lightsaber. I don't know if he builds it or what, but it is making its debut on his belt and in his hands in this movie.
    Awesome! We received confirmation on this from several other sources as well. Very interesting ..."

-------------

If this is true, it makes some of the earlier spy reports about 'picking up two sabres from downed jedi' a little suspect. It also suggests that Obi-Wan will most likely sport a green blade--simply for visual/artistic reasons.

Very exciting news. Hope it pans out.

19. GIMER

GIMER Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 15, 2000
    Maybe a little off topic, but I noticed when I went to the lightsabre link above, that all the Jedi shown wear the lightsabre on the left side of the belt

EXCEPT

Maul wears his on the right side.

I don't know about the handedness of the actors.
    Is Ray Park left handed, or is this something else?

20. Damillster

Jul 24, 2000
    TF.n spy report(02-16-01)

-------------------

Your previous report is correct about Anakin using the saber given to Luke in Episode IV. However, it does have a couple of differences. The chrome clamp on the original saber is now black. Most interesting is the belt clip. It does not use the D ring like the original saber but instead has the Episode 1 style slide clip.

21. Ewan-Kenobi

Ewan-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 21, 2000
    2002, do you really think that Anakin's saber, the one he gives Luke will be one he picked off a dead body? Even if he does that, he'd end up building another between 2 and 3.

That report is from Aldera, BTW, Chucky's sources over there are not reliable.

22. Damillster

Jul 24, 2000
    **Update 02-22-01**
    ---------------------

BuffaloJedi 5:18am Obi-Wan will not use Qui-Gon's saber

I just wanted to let you folks know about an item in the new Star Wars Insider #52 and those fans who have received their copy in the mail can verify this. Take a close look at the photo on page 12 of Obi-Wan and Anakin talking in the living room of Padme's apartment, it's a better version of the photo than was previously on the web. You can clearly see the lightsaber on Obi-Wan's belt. This is confirmation of what we already knew from the "On Location" clip of Obi-Wan's stunt double. Obi-Wan will be using a lightsaber that is identical to the handle design of the saber he used in TPM. Although we don't know yet whether or not this is a new saber or if he somehow recovered his original saber from the pit, we know for certain at this point that he will not be using Qui-Gon Jinn's lightsaber.

23. Damillster

Jul 24, 2000
    **TF.n Spy Report--02-05-01**
    --------------------------

We found out a bit about colors from Robosapien that left this bit of news:

Spoilers! Highlight the short report below to be in the know:
    From what I understand in the original artwork for Episode II, Obi-Wan's lightsaber is green. It's very distinctive in the fight with Jango Fett scene, and it leaves a green reflection in the water as the rain comes down. However, I don't know if it is a familiar saber or something new. And of course, in post-production anything can change.

24. Tosj_Noreny

Tosj_Noreny Jedi Youngling

Feb 21, 2001
    Ok, I´ve posted this before in another thread..

If Ob1 and Anakin gets captured and have their weapons taken away (havent been following the spoilers that well). Later when they escape they build new sabers of spare parts. Of stuff that they could find at the time. That would explain the "rouhger" look of the ANH saber compared to the ones in TPM

(dont complain on the spelling and stuff, I´m from Sweden)

25. Jediman

Jediman Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2000
    Damn Sweedes... JK.

Might happen with the spares. It'll be interesting, but I think Anakin already has his OT design when EP II begins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.