main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~~Official Thread~~ **Lightsabre Reference Thread**

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Damillster, Feb 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berniethemac

berniethemac Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 27, 2002
    Official script has this all in it though may not be realized in the film as stated. But it perhaps makes the most sense out of it all...

2. Plurimus

Plurimus Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 5, 1999
  3. BrAd-Is-BaD

BrAd-Is-BaD Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 15, 2002
    It would be awsome if ANAKIN fought Boba Fett with 2 lightsabers.

4. Damillster

Damillster Jedi Master star 4

Jul 24, 2000
    "The Sith use the more powerful synthetic crystals in their sabers, giving them the distincitive red hue. It is a stronger blade and fueled by the Dark Side. The arm that extends from Dooku's saber is called an emitter guard."

5. Damillster

Jul 24, 2000
    From Episode-X:

Sneak Peek at AOTC Scrapbook
    Mon, Apr 15, 02 09:34:15 PM EDT

Again, thanks to Barnes&Noble.Com, I got my hot little hands on a copy of the Attack of the Clones Scrapbook. Written by Ryder Windham, this is a compilation of photos, trivia, and behind the scenes info on the film. Next to the Visual Dictionary, this is your best source for information on Attack of the Clones. Just to give you a tase of what you can find, here are some highlights. Minor spoilers are ahead, so tread carefully:

- Obi-Wan's new lightsaber replaces the one he lost in the fight with Darth Maul. It is almost identical to the previous one.

6. JediMaster21

JediMaster21 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 13, 2002
    wow DAMSTILLER that was too much spolier information for me. DIE MACE DIE!!

7. matty_bon

matty_bon Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 19, 2002
    does anybody have any links to pictures of Ki with his blue lightsaber? or any evidence....as in text of stuff

really looking for some Ki stuff to collect together

thanks

8. RaptorRage

RaptorRage Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    If that scrapbook quote is correct I guess Obi-wan had a backup sabre with him at Theed, as you can see him with a sabre identical to the one that fell into the pit when the JC and Palpatine arrived on Naboo in TPM...

9. RaptorRage

Nov 17, 2001
    One of the newer AOTC commercials that features Anakin as "The Chosen One" uses the term "Crystal Lightsabers" to describe one of the tools of his 'profession' along with "Twin-Engine Speeder" and "Swoop Bike."

Just checked the Obi-wan as "Jedi Knight" commercial and it also mentions "Crystal Lightsaber" as one of his tools along with "Jedi Starfighter" and "Interstellar Tranceiver."

I believe these instances would be the first time crystals have been associated with lightsabres outside of the EU books, which may indicate the old RPG focusing crystal rules of lightsabre construction are weaving their way into the movies...

10. Twelve_Motion

Twelve_Motion Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 12, 2002
    It's probably just me, but does anyone else think the lightsabers look a wee-bit longer than the previous films.

11. White_Knight_ES1

White_Knight_ES1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 25, 2002
    Not really, they seem about the same to me. They're supposed to be about a meter in length, right?

12. Twelve_Motion

Twelve_Motion Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 12, 2002
    I guess so, but in certain shots it just looks a little longer to me. Like in the new footage from "Connections" when Obi-Wan is deflecting the lasers from Jango up in the air. Oh well. Size matters not!

13. RaptorRage

Nov 17, 2001
    Judging from a few still photos of the props the standard sabre blade is right about 40 inches, or just over a meter. Maul's sabre had blades about 34 inches in length to offset the longer than normal hilt.

In comparison to a terrestrial sword, for a person 6 feet tall a katana would have a blade length of about 29 inches.

14. White_Knight_ES1

Mar 25, 2002
    A lot of lightsaber hilts also are supposed to have blade length adjustment controls. So that could explain the discrepency.

15. RaptorRage

Nov 17, 2001
    That feature has yet to be shown in the movies however...

16. White_Knight_ES1

Mar 25, 2002
    This is true. I think sometimes the propmasters just throw buttons on the hilts then figure out later what the heck they're supposed to do.

And whatever happened to the activation switchboxes of the OT? Those red buttons they use in the PT are just gaudy.

17. JediMaster21

JediMaster21 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 13, 2002
    Can somebody tell me if there is a significant meaning behind Mace having a purple lightsaber. I know he asked Lucas for one, but does anyone think in AOTC we will know why he is the only on to have a purple lightsabre?

18. White_Knight_ES1

Mar 25, 2002
    As far as I'm aware of, there is yet any official reason why Mace has a purple lightsaber. Considering that this was decided after principal and post photography was completed, there isn't much hope that this will be explained in AOTC.

19. Darth-sennin

Darth-sennin Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2001
    White Knight, Anakin's saber has the activation box, so they are returning.

Jedimaster, In the book where Anakin builds his lightsaber, he enters this cave filled with crystals. As he goes through it he and Obi-wan get haunted and mentally tortured. It's a test of will to enter the cave. I think perhaps Mace had enough will power to go deep enough in that he found a differn lightsaber color. It's pure speculation, but without an official answer, I'm sticking to it.

20. Anakin1607

Anakin1607 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    Plurimus,

Since you know a lot more about the nuts and bolts of swordfighting than most of us, I have a question.

Based on how we've seen Anakin fighting with two lightsabers, is there any resemblence between his style and that of Musashi's? He was one of the first Samurai to really develop this kind of fighting and I was wondering if that showed up in Anakin's style. From what's I've read, fighting with two blades is extremely difficult and complex to do but very, very effective once mastered.

21. RaptorRage

Nov 17, 2001
    I was under the impression that Musashi's two sword technique was with katana and wakizashi, rather than two katanas. I'd imagine there would be some fighting style differences using a long and short sword rather than two long swords...

22. OB1KNOB

OB1KNOB Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 15, 2000
    My feeling on why Obi-Wan had his old lightsaber back at the end of TPM was because the Naboo maintenance people had cleaned Maul out of the melting pit (there was no evidence that it was in use at the time and you wouldn't want a smelly old body down there)and found Obi's saber and gave it back to him. Or maybe he just leaned over the pit and called it back to him? :)

23. RaptorRage

Nov 17, 2001
    When I was out picking up some AOTC merchandise this morning I perused the new Episode 2 Visual Dictionary. Looking at Dooku's sabre the dictionary stated that the red trigger-like switch at the base of the sabre hilt along the inner curve next to the power cell and belt atttachment was the activation switch, and the small gold button just below the emitter opposite the claw is activated by thumb and allows the sabre blade to instantly shorten in length, to catch opponents by surprise. It also mentioned the sabre's original crystals were replaced by Dooku with the synthetic crystals that Sith prefer, which offer more power and produce the characteristic red blade. The claw is an emitter guard to prevent the hand from slipping into the blade. There are two seperate power cells in the hilt. The curve of the hilt allows for finer blade control and reflects an older style lightsabre design that was ideally suited to the Form 2 technique that Dooku studied...

24. Darth-sennin

Darth-sennin Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2001
    I find it interesting that Dooku replaced the crystals in his lightsaber instead of building a new one. This fits into my theory that Palpatine will return Anakin's confiscated saber in episode III altered to look like the Vader saber.

25. Damillster

Jul 24, 2000
    The current opinion (as suggested by the graphic novel), is that Anakin's sabre is crushed in the factory. Nobody takes it from him.

I don't know what it says in the real novel, though. Anyone?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.