main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~~Official Thread~~ **Lightsabre Reference Thread**

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Damillster, Feb 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-sennin

Darth-sennin Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2001
    Thanks. I like it too 8-}

2. Kast_Morben

Kast_Morben Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    EU Answer approaching (purists look away now)

Plo probably has Mace's TPM lightsabre from a concordance of fealty. (speculation)Mace may have a new one because he lost Plo's old one and couldn't give it back. Kit Fisto's saber is the one belonging to Eeth Koth in TPM. Bultar Swan is actual the recipient of Adi's TPM saber, however the blade colour of Adi's TPM one is actually red so maybe she just designed it around Adis. (More speculation) perhaps Adi was Bultar Swans master at some point?

3. Darth-sennin

May 24, 2001
    Nice try my EU loving friend, but Shaak Ti, Bultar Swan, and Barris Offee use the same lightsaber. Also Plo Koon and Luminara Unduli use the same saber. To connect this to TPM, Adi Galia owned the saber used by the first group of jedi mentioned, and Mace Windu owned the second. Like I said before, it's a cop out and no amount of EU fluff will explain it away.

4. count_spooku

count_spooku Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    aaaaahhhhhhhh

5. RaptorRage

RaptorRage Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    I've heard that in one of the Young Jedi Knights novels there is a reference about identical sabres being available for the Jedi students to use. I'm not sure which book it is specifically, but it would seem to suggest that not every lightsabre constructed is necessarily a unique design.

6. Plurimus

Plurimus Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 5, 1999
    Kind of silly that every lightsaber had to be hand crafted.

7. neoxeon2

neoxeon2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2000
    i still think the fact that their hand crafted is cool, gives a personal touch to them.

8. MasterKoon

MasterKoon Jedi Youngling

May 13, 2002
    Yes, and I really wanted to destroy GL when he said that. It was so smug and I wanted to slap him around and say:

"IDIOT! Can't you recognize the best parts of your own mythos? You killed off the greatest villain there ever was without even a thought in TPM. And now you are eliminating a wonderful opportunity to show variation among the personalities of the Jedi."

9. Plurimus

Apr 5, 1999
    Giving too much attention to your own personal, specially crafted lightsaber is an attachment. As far as lightsabers go, they are easily destroyed (as you'll see in the movie) and replaced. What can't be replaced is a person's training and an individual's committment to duty, justice, and virtue, staples of a Jedi's life.

As a fencer and swordsman I know that a fencer must show respect for his or her weapons. But similarly, you should not let a fascination for a single weapon emotionally control you.

Remember that Luke throws away his lightsaber at the end of ROTJ. That's what ultimately makes him a Jedi.

10. Darth-sennin

May 24, 2001
    I just saw AOTC and I was wondering what hapened to Dooku's Form II lightsaber combat? I really liked the final duel, especially Yoda's part, but I didn't see any of the special Form II combat of Dooku. I thought he was supposed to use a one-handed style, but instead mostly used two, and he didn't use any moves I haven't seen before.

11. Darth-sennin

May 24, 2001
    Agree? Disagree?

12. Ewan-Kenobi

Ewan-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 21, 2000
    "Yes, and I really wanted to destroy GL when he said that. It was so smug and I wanted to slap him around and say:

"IDIOT! Can't you recognize the best parts of your own mythos? You killed off the greatest villain there ever was without even a thought in TPM. And now you are eliminating a wonderful opportunity to show variation among the personalities of the Jedi." "

When GL said what exactly? Were you responding to your imaginary friend perhaps?
    GL spends 3 years of his life to bring you AOTC and you want to slap him around and call him an idiot? People like you give fans a bad name.
    And btw, every Jedi main charactor we've seen have their own unique saber and have even had more than one design. Back ground stunt extra's sabers don't freaking matter. It'd be retarded to make a dozen new designs of handle then make dozens of copies for all of them for use. You won't see the generic sabers in the movie.

Maybe you need a lesson in maturity before you begin to post here.

13. Kast_Morben

Kast_Morben Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Darth-sennin - It is not the same lightsabre. According to the AotC Visual Dictionary there is a common lightsabre design, the one that Bultar, Shaak and Adi (TPM) sport. However I still could be right about Koon/Windu and Koth/Fisto.

14. MasterKoon

MasterKoon Jedi Youngling

May 13, 2002
    Ah... Ewan Kenobi.

I was referring to his attitude about the saber colors. Not handle designs, which really doesn't matter so much; it's a minor detail only extreme hardcore fans will notice.

Multiple saber colors are something we hadn't yet seen. We knew blue was "good" then we saw Luke's green one in ROTJ. So those two colors had been done. We knew ObiWan had a blue one. And we knew the sith always had red ones.

Now I'm not saying that every color or explanation from the EU should have been in the movie but there was no reason for GL to just say "bleh, red is for bad, blue and green for good, and that's it." It's his baby and he can do what he wants but that's the kind of little touch that he seems to be missing these days.

When he killed Darth Maul without so much as a thought, and then stated in interviews that Maul was not important and that "wait till you see" the next Sith apprentice, I knew he had lost it. He had lost touch with the coolest parts of his own creation, and thought that Jar Jar was really swell.

I am not a fanboy, but I am a longtime fan. I've seen AOTC three times already, and stood in line for the midnight show. I loved the movie completely, minus the absolutely horrible vomit-inducing love dialogue (and normally I'm a sucker for badly written romance dialogue in sci-fi/fantasy). But I really thought that the film could have benefitted enormously from about 20 more minutes of footage at the end.

The 2 key elements I felt were sorely lacking was a more personal involvement with the Jedi Council members other than Mace and Yoda. Show Ki-Adi and Plo Koon and Luminara and so forth doing something. Even one simple blade twirl and droid kill would have been fine for each.

And the saber colors is sort of a part of this. Give those characters some personality, so that we can remember "oh yeah Plo Koon that's the guy with the facemask and the yellow saber."

I am just a bit disappointed because that movie was so close to a perfect SW movie that it's all the more painful how it fell short of the mark due to overzealous editing and George's attitude of "let's get this moving along, nothing is sacred."

Pacing is one thing, but cutting out important stuff and foregoing good opportunities to show original things, I think it's just bad form.

Example: in TPM, it made little sense why Qui-Gon and Anakin were running when Maul caught up to them. The scene with him killing the seeker droid in one action was fantastic and only about 15 seconds. He could have and should have left it in.

15. Jedi_Master_Sigler

Jedi_Master_Sigler Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2002
    Okay, I didn't see anyone had posted the information below, so I thought that I'd put it into play:

There are 7 Forms of Lightsaber combat - systems, Forms I through VII.
    Each Form studies and practices something that signifies the style.
    For example, all Jedi and even the Sith know Form I, which is BASIC.
    Count Dooku has a curved hilt for his lightsaber because he is a master at Form II, which is known for its elegance and ablity of the fencing - arts.
    Obi - Wan took up Form III after Qui - Gon died. Form III is a more rigourous and strong version of Form I.
    Anakin Skywalker knows lightsaber Form IV, which is known for its physical power and force.
    Master Windu is the only teacher of Form VII. It is known for its strength and it's infamous for being the hardest to learn -- taught to only JEdi Masters. Also, its teachings of physical strength are even borderline Sith.

16. Darth-sennin

May 24, 2001
    I brought this up before, Dooku's Form II is supposed to resemble fencing, I didn't see any semblence of fencing of Dooku's style. He even used two hands for most of the fight.

17. Goober

Goober Jedi Youngling star 1

May 17, 2002
    For the most part, Anakin and Dooku both fought in the same style. Anakin was obviously using a non-fencing style. The sabre was above his friggn HEAD most of the time!

The "dark" part of the fight with Dooku was like that for both of them...maybe they change as they go or something.

18. Plurimus

Apr 5, 1999
    Dooku's sword fighting didn't resemble Western sabre fencing at all. All the stances were traditional Japanese sword.

Regarding, the 7 Forms. There was no visible distinction in the filmed sequences. The Visual Dictionary proves to be EU not canon.

19. Kal0527

Kal0527 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2002
    Posted in response to Yodabrains post on Dooku's hilt:

"According to Lucasfilm the handle is curved to comply with the fighting style Dooku uses. More fencing than Wushu sword fighting.

In actuality though, Christopher Lee has terrible arthritis in his hands and is unable to grip the standard straight lightsaber handle.

Hope that helps"

And I agree: I didn't notice it being more fencing than swinging/slashing. Of course the way they edited the Dooku/Anakin fight it didn't really give me a chance to tell

20. SenatorGoauld

SenatorGoauld Jedi Youngling star 3

May 9, 2002
    Anakin has a blue lightsabre throughout the movie.
    He damages it in a droid factory, and can't ignite it, and Jango takes it away from him on Geonosis.

Obi-Wan has his lightsabre removed from him when he is captured on Geonisis.

The Jedi Rescue Team give Obi-Wan and Anakin a pair of sabres in the arena battle. Anakin gets a blue one, and obi-wan gets a green one.

In the Dooku fight, Obi-wan gives Anakin the green sabre, and Anakin uses both sabres to fight Dooku.

Dooku slices the green sabre, and it is destroyed. Anakin keeps the blue one it would seem.

Dooku uses a curved sabre hilt with a red blade.

Yoda uses a small sabre with a normal sized green blade. His sabre isn't in his cane, it's tucked into his pants.

Windu uses a Purple blade with a gold plated hilt.

All the other jedi uses green and blue.

***!!!CASE CLOSED!!!***

21. Sand Hippie

Sand Hippie Jedi Youngling star 2

May 27, 1999
    Okay, this has probably been said, but I guess it's worth mentioning. There is (obviously) speculation that the color of the light sabers resemble one's trueness to the force. If we look at a color wheel... we see that Red is the exact opposite of Green.

[image=http://www.eyewire.com/images/mag/color-wheel.gif]

So if Red is absolute evil, as is the case with every Sith we've ever been fortunate to meet... then green is absolute 'good.' Red is the hottest of the hot colors, green the coolest of the cool colors. We notice that in AotC, Yoda's saber is a bright green.

Not all Jedi are perfect, though, so we've got blue light sabers, because they are slightly arrogant, have a temper, are impatient... whatever. Now, let me use the above post to help debate my point.

Anakin has a blue lightsabre throughout the movie.

This makes absolute sense. Anakin is angry, impatient and arrogant, though deep down, he's still a pretty good guy.

He damages it in a droid factory, and can't ignite it, and Jango takes it away from him on Geonosis.

Anakin is always losing his light saber... he loses it in the beginning of the film, too (when Obi-Wan catches it... symbolising Obi-Wan's tutelage and guidance). This symbolises Anakin's losing faith.

The Jedi Rescue Team give Obi-Wan and Anakin a pair of sabres in the arena battle. Anakin gets a blue one, and obi-wan gets a green one.

The colors still match up. Obi-Wan with a green and Anakin with a blue. As we've seen in a few spots, Obi may not be the greatest of Jedi, but he stays pretty true to their beliefs.

In the Dooku fight, Obi-wan gives Anakin the green sabre, and Anakin uses both sabres to fight Dooku.

This is the battle going on inside of Anakin. In an effort to bring Anakin back to the truest part of the force, he throws Anakin his own light saber... in a way sacrificing himself to save Anakin. Anakin fights this battle within himself, but loses completely and is overcome by his own anger and Dooku's experience. He ends up losing both the blue and the green one.

Dooku slices the green sabre, and it is destroyed. Anakin keeps the blue one it would seem.

Yeah, see right above.

Windu uses a Purple blade with a gold plated hilt.

Windu's purple light saber brings up an interesting point. I think Samuel L. Jackson's 'request for a purple light saber is simply a red herring. If we look at the color wheel above... we see that purple is right next to red. Mace Windu may not be an evil guy, but he may be pretty misguided, as is evident in his saber color. Now, he may not necessarily be the traitor that he's rumoured to be... but it is my firm belief that Mace Windu will have some role in pushing Anakin toward the Dark Side. he's not completely evil, though, and he'll probably feel a great deal of remorse. Look for Anakin to be wielding Mace's light saber just before he becomes Vader, when he gets his red one.

SH

What you think... am I nuts??

22. Newbalicious

Newbalicious Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2002
    Well don't try to look for too much meaning in the colors. FACT: Lucas intended for Luke's second saber (the one in ROTJ) to be blue. But, since a lot of the action was filmed in the desert they found that there was difficulty seeing the blade on the desert background using the current technology available to them. So Lucas suggests they just try green, and thats what we end up with. So, the fact that green is used is just a matter of practicality (something that is of great importance if you're making a movie).

As far as Windu's purple lightsaber, well thats just Sam Jackson's own preference. Did you not see that making of video where he asks for a purple one? Its just a matter of GL thinking, "hmm ok I guess that'll work and then telling the guys at ILM to make Windu's saber purple".

23. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    Okay, I'm just jumping in late here. Can someone give me a quick run down of the Crystalline and Electrum sabers, what the terms mean, what the difference between them is, and where the references are from?

24. jerremyfishfritter

jerremyfishfritter Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2002
    I hated the way two Jedi tossed a pair of replacement Sabres to Anakin and OB1 in the arena. Surely these weapons are sacred and precious; not some simple tool of the trade.

I think a much better scenario could have took place; OB1 could have retrieved his captured one or Anakin inherited one from the fallen council or whatever.
    It needn't have gone into great detail, just come up with something better.
    Personally, i think it's best that how lightsabres are made and how a Jedi gets one is best left to the imagination.

25. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    Nah, I thought the Jedi tossing 'em to Kenobi and Anakin was cool. Showed they co-operated with each other.

I'm still slightly unhappy with Mace being the only one with a different coloured lightsaber. But hey, its just a minor complain.

Anyway,a bump for this thread since I thought I saw a few threads about lightsabers :p

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.