main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~~Official Thread~~ **Lightsabre Reference Thread**

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Damillster, Feb 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Wrong. That is basically Vader's sabre-albeit not black, and it's mounted differently on the belt, too. (Vader's sabre was emitter-up for a faster draw time.)

2. Damillster

Damillster Jedi Master star 4

Jul 24, 2000
    Yes...and no. He doesn't actually lose it. It is taken from him. There's no reason why Dooku could not have kept it...or given it to his master.

This sabre is VERY similar to the MPP (or as some people incorrectly say 'Heiland') based prop that Vader uses in ANH. Close enough that we could reasonably assume they are one.

We don't even know (for sure) that it is blue.

3. TheEmperor

TheEmperor Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 4, 2001
    If it is taken from him, when exactly does he get it back, before or after he gets his bionic arm. I guess he would just go back to Geonosis for his saber. He probably could make one in less time than traveling back to Geonosis. I believe that Luke will get the saber Anakin uses in Ep.3 and Vader will make his ANH saber in between Ep.3 and 4.

This one will just get lost on Geonosis.

4. Hoedaack

Hoedaack Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2001
    Damillster: There is NOTHING inaccurate about calling Vader's saber a Heiland. It is constructed on a Heiland Synchronar 3-Cell flash handle, as can be seen here:

http://members.aol.com/yodashous2/anhvader.htm

TheEmperor, take note.

5. TheEmperor

Jun 4, 2001
    That definitely isn't the saber on Anakin's belt. Not to mention that the belt connection on the Vader saber is on the front end of the saber(the blade end). Anakin's is on the back end of the saber hilt

6. Damillster

Jul 24, 2000
    Just to add a little info about the OT props, themselves.

There is no evidence to support the theory that a Heiland was EVER used in one of the movies. The 'Heiland' was a knock-off of the MPP Microflash, manufactured by Micro Precision Products of England. Heilands are very similar, and are in greater abundance. They are frequently (yet incorrectly) used to make the Vader ANH prop.

Note to Hoedaak: John at Yodashouse makes outstanding conversion kits. And it is true, they are made for the Heiland. However, the original props were made from MPPs. They were easier to find in England than the Heilands, and they are very similar. The Heiland is easier to find now, and 99% of the props out there are Heilands. MPPs are going for almost a grand on E-bay. Heilands can be found for under $200. The MPP is the real deal. Now...I could be wrong about this. But this is the consensus of the folks that post on a SW prop board that I peruse from time to time. They are VERY hardcore. Email John at Yodashouse. I'm sure he'd agree.

As far as the differences between the sabre Anakin wears on his belt, and the sabre Vader uses in ANH, they are VERY minor (mostly color). It is important to also note that even Luke's (Graflex based) sabre went through at least a few changes from ANH to ESB. And that was only a few years. Some of these changes: Larger D-ring, screws added to the grips, addition of a second red button, deletion of 'glass eye', bubble strip on the activation box replaced by circuit board....and we KNOW that's supposed to be the same sabre.

I'm not really this pedantic in 'real life'.

7. TheEmperor

Jun 4, 2001
    Actually there is a huge difference between Vader's saber and Luke's from ANH & ESB. The entire front section(the blade end) is not only a different color but a completely different design.

8. Damillster

Jul 24, 2000
    "Actually there is a huge difference between Vader's saber and Luke's from ANH & ESB."
    ---------------

Of course there is. Who suggested otherwise?

9. TheEmperor

Jun 4, 2001
    Read the post right above my last post

10. Damillster

Jul 24, 2000
    As far as the differences between the sabre Anakin wears on his belt, and the sabre Vader uses in ANH, they are VERY minor (mostly color).
    -------------------

Is that what you're referring to?

11. Mastadson

Mastadson Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2001
    1.Anakin is going to lose a hand at some point and I bet his sabre goes with it.
    (Remember the whole concept of themes repeting and at the end of RTOJ Luke looks at his hand and his fathers and sees that he is headed down the dark path)
    2.Stop assuming that Dooku is Tyranis.
    (If it is true I will be very shocked since it does not seem logical to have an apprentice that is almost as old as Sidious)
    3.George does pay very careful attention to detail but not to the point of having everything exactly the same between all of the films.
    (Time does pass and maybe just maybe the caracters would,just like all of you would do,change the apperance of their property)

12. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    This may seem pretty insignificant, but it's kinda interesting that the way in which sabres are fastened to the Jedi utility belt is very different in the OT and the PT. I always thought it looked pretty goofy when the actors had to deal with the swinging sabre problem (Guinness was constantly trying to hold the thing still whenever he had to move fast). Having the sabre fastened firmly at midlevel looks much better IMHO. Plus, one can imagine that it would be much easier to grasp the thing in a hurry when needed. A good, if rather minor, improvement for the PT.

13. Hoedaack

Mar 26, 2001
    The Emperor: are you reading ANY of my posts? It seems to me you're just posting at random.

Although it's hardly the greatest imagery to work from, Anakin's saber in the video looks EXACTLY the same as Vader's saber, just different colors.

14. Damillster

Jul 24, 2000
    I agree with Hoedaak. I think that sabre will find its way back to Anakin in Episode III...somehow.

15. Hoedaack

Mar 26, 2001
    Damillster: Gotta admit, you got me on the MPP Microflash enigma. I'm gonna go do some research on it over the next couple of weeks. The information is very much appreciated, though. Thanks.

Regardless of whether it's a Heiland or an MPP :) , that definitely looks like Vader's saber on his belt to me. (Frame grabs are useless - if you run the vid on rock-and-roll, it sure as hell looks like there's an emitter shroud on the end, and the activator block is mounted in the correct "top" position.

16. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    Is it so far fetched that Anakin would build a new sabre as a replica of the one he lost near the end of ep II? Luke's ROTJ sabre was very similar to Ben's ANH sabre (an obvious homage to his former master). Is there any evidence that the sabre seen in the duel with Dooku would be the same as the one seen in the Tatooine scene?

Damillster made some very good points. I concur that Luke's ANH and ESB sabres are obviously supposed to be the same item, despite the fact that there are some small differences. Anakin's PT sabre hangs emitter end down, while the sabre hangs emitter end up in OT. But I do think they look like the same item. The cowling around the emitter end is silver in PT and black in OT. However, I still think it's entirely possible that Anakin simply built a new sabre that was a replica of the one he lost. The only difference between the two? Anakin goes for a black emitter cowling (seems appropriate given his destiny).

17. Damillster

Jul 24, 2000
    No. He loses that one...when he gets captured.

18. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    I thought so. So how about this. Anakin builds a new sabre for ep III that looks very similar to his original ep II sabre. Dooku hangs on to Anakin's first sabre and Anakin retrieves it from him sometime in ep III. This is the sabre that Luke ends up with?

PS I'm sure that someone else has come up with this scenario before.

19. Hoedaack

Mar 26, 2001
    TK 327: At one point, Luke was supposed to construct his saber at Obi-Wan's hut on Tatooine. It's conceivable there might be spare components shoved away in drawers that Luke might use in its construction, rather than as an "homage".

(Kinda weird that Luke didn't ask Yoda for help of materials though!)

20. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    Yeah, I heard something about that Hoedaack. It appears that Luke may have built his sabre from bits lying around Ben's home...

I still think that its similarity to Ben's sabre was supposed to foreshadow Luke's victory.

It's kinda funny that everyone is so up in arms about Anakin's sabre when it appears that Obi-Wan's PT sabre bears no resemblance whatever to his OT sabre. At least Anakin's sabre looks the part.

"Kinda weird that Luke didn't ask Yoda for help of materials though!"

Not if Yoda's sabre is something completely different :) (I know my views on this aren't very popular and are likely wrong though).

21. Shoeless Jedi

Shoeless Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2000
    "It's kinda funny that everyone is so up in arms about Anakin's sabre when it appears that Obi-Wan's PT sabre bears no resemblance whatever to his OT sabre. At least Anakin's sabre looks the part."

Ok, not to sound like a jerk or anything, but I'm sick and tired of people saying stuff like this about Obi's sabre. Sure, his PT sabre bears little resemblence to the OT one, bu then again, NONE of the PT sabres bear any similarity to the OT sabres short of the fact that they emit light beams. Fact is, look at Obi's PT sabre, it bears more similarity to the OT ones than any of the others in TPM. IT's got the knobby thing sticking out of the bottom like his did in ANH, a very striking characteristic and one Luke seemed to mimic with his ROTJ sabre. That ornament alone is enough similarity to keep me happy, and people who don't see that are trying too hard to have problems between the two trilogies.

22. Hoedaack

Mar 26, 2001
    I agree with Shoeless Jedi. That little knobby end bit makes me happy, too! :D

23. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    "NONE of the PT sabres bear any similarity to the OT sabres short of the fact that they emit light beams"

NOT true: Anakin's PT sabre is virtually identical to Vader's OT sabre.

And yes, I have noticed that Obi-Wan's PT sabre bears some resemblance to the sabre in ANH. The main difference is that the ANH sabre looks cool, while the PT sabre looks like it's ready to hit the shelves of Walmart (without any changes).

24. r00tcracker

r00tcracker Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2001
    Just testing my registration :)

Sorry people!

25. Shoeless Jedi

Shoeless Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2000
    Thanks you Hoedaack :)
    And sorry TK, you're right about Ani's sabre probably, but we haven't actually seen the movie yet so I wasn't really counting it, but u gotta agree that none of the TPM sabres beared resemblence to OT sabres beyond a slight similarity in Obi Wans'. At least that I'm remembering....

Just another random thought and excuse me if it's been mentioned: Any ideas as to what Yoda's rumored sabre will look like? I'm curious if it'll look like the one from the Ep1 visual dictionary or if they'll just pretend that doesn't exist. I mean I know that one's not canon in any sense, in fact I remember reading somewhere it was basically a homemade prop the editor tossed in or something? But it'd be cool if they went with that design, as if they really were foreshadowing something (albeit most likely quite cheesy).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.