main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~~Official Thread~~ **Lightsabre Reference Thread**

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Damillster, Feb 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    shoeless jedi-for some rather entertaining speculation on yoda's sabre head on over to the 'jedi master yoda' thread :)

2. TheEmperor

TheEmperor Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 4, 2001
    The sabers are the same and the color is the big difference. But I will bet anyone this saber is not the same saber that Vader uses in the OT.

3. Damillster

Damillster Jedi Master star 4

Jul 24, 2000
    "Yoda's lightsabre is inside his cane...He gets it out the bottom of his cane."

--Sith Interceptor--06/05/01

4. wakey_wan_kenobi

wakey_wan_kenobi Jedi Youngling

Jun 9, 2001
    can u guy's help me out !

can any1 provide a link to the starwars insider pic #54 of obi wan wielding his new (of phantom menace ) sabre ?

coz ive been gagging to see this pic for ages.

cheers :)

5. John_FC

John_FC Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 10, 2000
    Just a quick note:

This pic that was posted earlier:

http://www.theforce.net/episode2/newspics/anakinsaber.jpg

How do we know it was from Episode II???

Having watched on location etc. we KNOW lucas shot one scene from Episode III.... maybe this is it... no-one know...

just trying to liven the debate up, :)

John

6. DarkSkywalker69

DarkSkywalker69 Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2001
    Lucas has made it well known that he's not using lots of special effects on the lightsaber blades themselves because he wants them to look the same throughout the six movies. It's a shame that he isn't paying the same attention to the hilts as well. I know it's too soon to tell and we still might see the classic hilts we all love but just look at the observations I've made. Obe Wan looses his saber at the end of Episode I when it falls down that bottomless pit. Now we see in Star Wars Insider#54 an Episode II Obe Wan holding that very same hilt he had in Episode I. Now did he go down and get his saber or did he just like the style so much that he made a new one that looks the same? Where is the the Episode IV saber? Also we see Anakin with a blue bladed Vader style saber. Where is the A New Hope saber that's given to Luke? Again I know it's too soon to tell and Lucas may still give us the answers but it makes me wonder.

7. Darth Vicious

Darth Vicious Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 1999
    In my opinion, the sabre given to Luke is important enough to be given some time on-screen (Ani gives to Ben to give to son, or Ben just lies about the whole thing), but the style change of Obi-Wan's ANH sabre is utterly unimportant. Why can't the guy just choose a new design that pleases him?

8. TheEmperor

TheEmperor Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 4, 2001
    can u guy's help me out !

can any1 provide a link to the starwars insider pic #54 of obi wan wielding his new (of phantom menace ) sabre ?

coz ive been gagging to see this pic for ages.

---------------------------------------------

Here you go

http://starwars.com/episode-ii/img/left_character.jpg

---------------------------------------------

If Yoda's lightsaber is his cane, they might as well not even finish the film. I would completely lose respect for George Lucas and for his team for not stepping up by telling him how stupid that is. That would be just absolutely depressing.

9. Darth-sennin

Darth-sennin Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2001
    From all the spoilers and what makes the most sense here's my theory on the saber continuity:

After Obi-Wan looses his TPM saber he rebuilds it to look extremly similar. Why? because he was comfortable with the design and the design reflects Qui-Gons(padawans build sabers similar to there masters). Between TPM and ep.II Anakin builds the one we see in the documentary. Then on Geonosis Obi-wan losses his lightsaber and picks one off a dead jedi(eww). This is the ANH saber. During the battle with Tyranis Anakin losses his arm and his saber with it. Tyranis takes the saber. Between epII and III Anakin builds the ANH saber given to Luke. At some point in III Anakin confronts Palpatine and Tyranis, kind of like in ROTJ and the emporer gives him his saber back. But now it is darker and the blue crystal has been replaced with a red one. Anakin probably battles Tyranis and eventually kills him with the Vader saber making his journey to the darkside complete.

I son't know how Obi-wan get's hold of Luke's ANH saber. Maybe during the final battle Anakin uses two lightsabers to fight Obi-wan. Having a red and blue would show the conflict of good and evil in him. Then Obi tells Anakin to let go of the Vader saber because it has been corupted and he needs only one saber. Anakin would then look at the graflex and say, "this saber means nothing to me!" or something like that and drop the graflex thus accepting the darkside once again. Obi would eventually win and knock Anakin into the lava/molten/acid/whatever and keep Anakin's graflex saber. Then at the end of ep.III when Obi delivers Luke to Owen he tries to give him the lightsaber saying something like, "give it to him when he is older, his father would have wanted him to have it." But owen would refuse and Obi would keep the saber until ANH.

If things went this way It would neatly rap up all the saber questions.

10. DarkSkywalker69

DarkSkywalker69 Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2001
    Nice view Sennin. I'm sure that would satisfy most Star Wars fans. It would explain lots of things including the whole lightsabre design issue. Only time and Lucas will tell. Lets hope it doesn't turn out to be something stupid. Lucas isn't perfect and the whole Jar Jar thing was an example of this. May the force be with us.

11. Darth-sennin

May 24, 2001
    I was just looking at the visual dictionary, even though it's not cannon the lightsaber they say is yoda's looks like a mini Anakin saber.

Probablly more evidence against visual dictionary, but I thought I'd mention it.

12. Damillster

Jul 24, 2000
    "At some point in III Anakin confronts Palpatine and Tyranis, kind of like in ROTJ and the emporer gives him his saber back. But now it is darker and the blue crystal has been replaced with a red one."

----------------------------

Actually, the only picture we've seen with Hayden and an ignited, blue sabre, was the select image. At that point in the film, he ISN'T using the sabre that hangs from his belt in the recent Tat. picture. So...we don't know for sure what color it is...yet.

13. Darth-sennin

May 24, 2001
    True, I was just rying to say that if and when he gets the saber back it's red.

14. Pedro

Pedro Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 1999

Then on Geonosis Obi-wan losses his lightsaber and picks one off a dead jedi(eww). This is the ANH saber.
    And the two swords just happen to be so amazingly similar? No. Kenobi will construct his E4 saber himself. At some point, who knows when.

A lot's been made here of Obi-Wan's and Anakin's sabers, but relatively little's been brought up with respect to those of all the other Jedi in the film.

But it's been said that we'd see other blade colors in the film...and 2002's indicated that Yoda's blade is yellow, for what that's worth. Also, Ho has said that Eeth Koth carries a green saber.

Any others you guys remember?

15. Damillster

Jul 24, 2000
    I'll have to search out where 2002 claims that Yoda's sabre is yellow. I must have missed that.

16. Count_Fantastic

Count_Fantastic Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 18, 2001
    From Samuel L. Jackson on EP2:

"I can tell you I asked for a violet light. George thought about it and he said, 'Well, the good guys have this color light and the bad guys have that color light,' " Jackson said. "So he's debating whether he'll make my light something different or as common as everybody else's."

This implies that GL has lightsaber symbolism in mind.

http://www.theforce.net/episode2/index.html#11096

17. Darth-sennin

May 24, 2001
    Pedro, the ANH lightsaber looks nothing like obi-wan's TPM and ep.II saber. The only similarity is that they are blue.

18. Darth-sennin

May 24, 2001
    It just came to me that if I am right about Obi's ANH lightsaber being some one elses it would kinda suck. Considering that the lightsaber Luke made looks like obi-wan's ANH saber, it would ruin Luke building a lightsaber similar to his master's.

19. wakey_wan_kenobi

wakey_wan_kenobi Jedi Youngling

Jun 9, 2001
    can any of you guy's post a link to any pictures of mace windu with his lightsaber in shot (or partly in shot, i dont care). coz ud be being a great help, coz i cant find one.

thanks all :)

20. Pedro

Pedro Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 1999

WWK, check the Episode II reference thread. The best shot of it I've seen so far is in there.

EDIT
    Reference thread.
    Mace's saber (E2 pic).
    Mace's saber (E1 pic).

Pedro, the ANH lightsaber looks nothing like obi-wan's TPM and ep.II saber. The only similarity is that they are blue.
    This simply is not true. And if you think that it is, then you really need to start looking at these things more closely.

21. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
  22. Darth-sennin

May 24, 2001
    Obi's ep.I saber:http://www.jedi-academy.com/vic_mignogna_owk_saber.html

Obi's epIV saber:http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1423346773

(scroll down on the second one)
    Pedro, IMO they don't look alike.

23. JediLordHomer

JediLordHomer Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2000
    I would have to agree with D-S.

Bens saber from ANH looks a lot like Luke's green saber from RoTJ. with of course the exception that it has a side mounted D-ring clip and a lever activator as apposed to Luke's pommel mounted D-ring and his plate activator.

however, his saber from TPM and EpII look a lot alike with the odd "spiked-ball" pommel and the cylindrical emitter dish.

As for saber colors, i found the last Select interesting with Sam/Mace in front of the violet screen...who knows, i for one would like to see new colors.

And on a side note, i have always found the emperors comment in RoTJ, "I see you have a new lightsaber, much like your fathers...," kinda odd because Vaders saber and Luke's green saber look hardly anything alike.

24. JediLordHomer

JediLordHomer Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2000
    by the time i realized my mistake it was too late to edit...of course everyone knows the emperor says:
    "Ah yes, a Jedi's weapon, much like your father's..."

my bad, lol

25. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    I always wondered about that line JLH. Luke's ROTJ sabre looks very much like Ben's and nothing at all like Vader's. Maybe it's been a while since the Emperor has had a good look at a sabre?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.