main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~~Official Thread~~ **Lightsabre Reference Thread**

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Damillster, Feb 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARTHWUTWUTTINKY

DARTHWUTWUTTINKY Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2001
    If obi wans sabre is green in ep2 this is what i think happens IMO.

Obi wan goes to the bottom of the pit and retakes his lightsabre, then next time he tries to use it he realises that the fall down the pit knocked the stone out of place or broke it or something. He still has qui gon's sabre so he decieds rather than finding a new stone he uses qui gons'.
    The reason he doesn't use qui gons sabre is either because
    1. Jedis supposedley struggle to use another jedis lightsaber
    2. He fears that the memories of qui gon will distract him in battle.
    3.He fears he may lose it in battle or general use.

Of corse, this is just my opinion but it seems believable and should please all of you who think he uses a green sabre and those of you who believe he uses his old one.

2. Naga-Sadow

Naga-Sadow Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2001
    i'd rather have a Sith sword...

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I think that Obi-wan used Qui-gon's saber but switched after a time. Like the Samurai style, the sword (saber) is an extension of one's person. Obi felt that he should use it out of respect. But as time went on, he decided to either rebuild his or his old one had been sent back. As to the Emperor's reference in Jedi, I think it was a script error. It was supposed to look like Vader's but was changed to look like Obi-wans' and the scene was left as is. It's also possible that in A New Hope, that the saber Ben used was supposed to be the same one. Remember that the sabers were made from various spare parts, i.e. flash handles. The PT sabers were hand made and thus could be the reason that Obi-wan's and Anakin's Lightsabers are similar to the originals but are differnt. Liam Nesson choose his based on it's smooth hand grip and lack of buttons. Otherwise it could be that Obi loses his in ep3 and is forced to rebuild it like the new design. As to Luke's, I think that it's origins are similar those seen in "Shadows of the Empire." Not quite the same but along those lines. It also follows the Master-Padawan explination of the saber design.

4. FlintD

FlintD Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 20, 2000
    I simply think the Emporer's line was merely ment to provoke Luke and no real meaning to how it looked like his father's saber.

5. JediLordHomer

JediLordHomer Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2000
    or the emperor is one can short of a six pack...

6. FlintD

FlintD Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 20, 2000
    That's possible too.

7. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
  8. Tom-Buk-Too

Tom-Buk-Too Jedi Youngling

Jun 30, 2001
    If you guys watched the lastest Making of Episode II video it shows Anakin holding what looks like a blue florescent tube. Maybe the lightsabers will actually cast real light on the actors. That could make a cool lightsaber duel in the dark!

9. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    According to past reports, that is excatly what will happen.

10. Darth-sennin

Darth-sennin Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2001
    I think the glow sabers are only refrences for ILM. So they know where the light hits the actor.

11. Darth-sennin

Darth-sennin Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2001
  12. Pedro

Pedro Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 1999

^

13. Damillster

Damillster Jedi Master star 4

Jul 24, 2000
    I'm waiting for confirmation of some new lightsabre information before I post it....

OK. That's not true. I just like the way it sounds. However, I am waiting anxiously for something new to post here. Lightsabre spy reports have been few and far between, lately. :(

If anyone can add any new info, feel free.

Damillster

14. Pedro

Pedro Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 1999

*sigh*
    I can add that the discussion taking place in "Obi-Wan's blue lightsaber: A trick?" needs to be taking place in here.

15. Damillster

Jul 24, 2000
    And you have fought valiantly to make it so, Pedro.

Kudos.

16. Damillster

Jul 24, 2000
    Ask...and you shall receive.

It looks like it's official--Mace Windu will wield a PURPLE lightsabre.

As featured on the cover of the 'Insider' #55:

Here

17. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    I believe it's the same hilt Mace Windu used in Ep1, the one later desribed as Eeth Koth's lightsaber (which should have been green...)

I don't know why EU went for that half-Maul-saber, it looked stupid right from the beginning, and now they are paying the price...

18. Damillster

Jul 24, 2000
    **Summary--07/09/01**

We have learned a few things since this thread was started. This is a break-down of what we currently know:

Anakin: For most of the movie he will carry a sabre that looks strikingly similar to the hilt that Vader uses in ANH. There are some minor differences (Covertec clip, rather than D-ring, and some parts are colored differently), but for the most part it looks the same. It does not appear to be Graflex-based. As such, it is very unlikely it is the same sabre passed on to Luke. We have no confirmation of the color of this sabre, yet. However, we do know that he uses a blue-bladed sabre to fight Dooku at the end. Most likely, that is another sabre--as his 'standard' one is taken from him when he arrives on Geonosis.

Obi-Wan: He will use a sabre that looks identical to the one he used in Episode I. It has a blue blade.

Mace: Purple blade, very plain looking hilt design with black, vertical grips.

Yoda: Yellow blade? Still unconfirmed. It may be 'hidden' in his cane. If so, it will actually come completely out (hilt and all) when he uses it to fight. What I mean by this is that the blade won't extend from the cane. The cane would simply serve as a 'case' or 'holder'.

Dooku/Tyranus: Red blade, straight, longer than standard. Curved hilt with geometric patterns etched on the surface.

19. Pedro

Pedro Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 1999

Hoedaack said Koth's blade is green...

20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    As I said before, the PT sabers were hand made. Anakin/Vader saber was made from spare parts. Same with Luke/Ben's. It's possible that Anakin's ep2 saber is his ep4 saber. True they look different, but that's a minor detail. The Garflex handles had a certain design and the propmakers had to work around it. The PT sabers being hand made, don't have said problems. Liam Nesson choose his based on it's smooth grip and lack of buttons. Anakin's and Obi-wan's are different so that twirling them around and fighting will be much eaiser. Mace's saber is different because he's useing it. The other sabers were more alike. The eu was trying to help fans who were confused by the pictures. It isn't invaild, yet.

21. Damillster

Jul 24, 2000
    The most recent Select photo (08-02-01) has revisited previous speculation about Dooku?s lightsabre blade being curved. This was an early rumor that had fallen out of favor. It is generally accepted that the hilt, itself, is curved?but not the blade.

Clearly, the new Select shows Dooku?s saber prop blade with a slight bend, or curve. It is unclear whether or not it is bending because it is flexible and in motion, or if the saber blade is supposed to be curved.

Check out this thread where you will find discussion of the picture, as well as ?tweaked? versions of the image.

22. WeistDupen

WeistDupen Jedi Youngling

Aug 3, 2001
    Hey is the rumor true that Mace's Sabre will be purple?

23. Damillster

Jul 24, 2000
    It is featured on the cover of the 'Insider' #55, as such. And it has also been confirmed by Sansweet, I believe.

24. Damillster

Jul 24, 2000
    ***UPDATE***

Fri, Aug 17, 01 08:24:27 PM EDT--TFn Main

----------------------------------------

ResqJedi sent the following:

Just got back from Day 1 of the Wizard convention...
    I attended Steve Sansweets conference...
    No real new insights arose, however...he affirmed, emphatically, that Yoda will show why he is the the master, and that he WILL have a lightsaber. He also stated that the colors of the lightsabers will be the jedi using blue and green sabers, with the sith remaining red. The exception being Mace Windu with a purple one, because "Sam wanted purple", much to the amusement of the audience.

-----------------------------------

COJ's response to this new information:

You can't have just one exception to the rule. This will be borne out when multicoloured Sabres will be seen. Sansweet (if he did actually say that) was either telling a little white lie or doesn't actually know.

25. sith99

sith99 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 20, 1999
    just cant have 1 new color no way no how..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.