main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*OFFICIAL THREAD* Mace Windu vs. Darth Sidious Discussion v3.0

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by RebelScum77, Nov 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rossa83

Rossa83 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    But isn't that part of the thrill of seeing him fight also? We know, implicitly, that Yoda is powerful even before he appears in the PT - the same goes for Sideous, but more explicitly so. Mace, however, is a mystery. He's on the council, he talks as if he's on terms with Yoda, but we know nothing of him. Then he makes a brief introduction in AOTC where he outclasses Fett, and even Dooku congratulates him on his skills!! Then finally we see a challenge for him, and the guy really shows us what he's made of! Sure, an actor with better swordsman skills would improve the scene, but SLJ wasn't the worst of the two, to put it mildly! (IMHO, Jackson wasn't too bad at all - he had a distinct style about him)

Mace is just another character we didn't get to see enough of in the PT!!

2. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Oh yeah, that's why after seeing the trailer for Episode 3, one of the two things I was looking forward to most was finally seeing Mace Windu in a saber duel, and against the Emperor at that. I do agree with you though that Sam Jackson wasn't all that bad, his style was slower but it fit the sort of confident power that he has on-screen. I do wish they had included the footage of Sam vs. Ian's body double on the Episode 3 DVD though.

3. Rossa83

Sep 8, 2005
    I couldn't agree more. And I really wish that Lucas would make extended versions of the movies. I understand that he wouldn't want to make them too too long for the cinema, but for DVD's it would be perfect!
    Jackson did have a style of his own, and his slow movements didn't bother me much since they were so smooth and appeared to be so controlled - speed isn't everything if you cannot direct it properly! IMO, Mace's technique was probably amongst the most efficient!

4. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    I remember viewing it as sort of a tie-in to the slower and more controlled OT style, though I know it wasn't intentional, Mace's style is more like the Original Trilogy style than any other Prequel Jedi.

5. Rossa83

Sep 8, 2005
    That is quite true!! But perhaps more elegant!?

6. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Which are you saying is more elegant?

7. Imperial Politician

Imperial Politician Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 9, 1999
    Ok. I came back to check on this, and I'm surprised by two things.

1. I'm surprised that Master_Shaitan finally came over to find the deeper meaning behind this scene. For a long time he was much like those of you who think that Palpatine was in control the entire time, or is omnipotent.

2. I'm surprised everyone isn't agreeing with Master_Shaitan.

For example:

I see where someone has these questions:

Q1. What happens if Palpatine does not allow himself to be disarmed just before Anakin enters the room? Doesn't Anakin join the fight on Mace's side? What happens then?

A1. Palpatine does not allow anything. He doesn't know Anakin is coming. Mace takes him down, is about to kill him, or arrest him. Anakin turns to the dark side when he chooses, with free will, to save the one thing he was destined to destroy.

Q2. What happens if Palpatine kills Mace outright, like he does with those other herbs? Doesn't Anakin arrive and decide that he has to kill Palpatine? How would that scenario play out?

A2. Once again, Palpatine couldn't kill Mace, when Mace wins the fight, takes away the lightsabre, and then has Palpatine in checkmate with the lightning. The only faking is how quickly Palpatine is losing power. He acts like he is fading quicker than he is, but he is fading. If it wasn't real, than his face wouldn't have changed, and it wouldn't have been permanent.

Q3. If Palpatine wins the duel outright, or prolongs it, his chances for converting Anakin to the darkside are not good.

Huh. This fight doesn't start of, nor is it set up, to turn Anakin. The prior conversation between Anakin and Palpatine was designed to turn him. At this point, Palpatine is fighting for his life. It just so happens that Anakin shows up and fall for the trap. Palpatine doesn't see everythigng, but he addapts and moves with his hand.

You have to understand that there is a deeper meaning. Anakin betrays his friends, the jedi, the women he loves, and the force. He chooses to do evil. To be the protector of evil.

Palpatine threw the fight?

Nope. He took advantage of the situation at the right time, but he was not in control.

8. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Jedi Youngling

Sep 1, 2007
    Mace Windu can sense shatterpoints in the force as well. So he could sense what would happen if Palpatine was left alive, and he probably knew Palpatine was was pretending to be weak, so he knew the only way to end the war was to kill Palpatine right then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.