main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*OFFICIAL THREAD* Media articles, interviews and reviews for Revenge of the Sith. V.2.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by G-FETT, May 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rajarshinag

rajarshinag Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 24, 2003
    pixel pusher, dont fret maddox is a lonely bored homosexual who doesnt even know that he is gay.
    so have pity on the retard, no movie is good for him
    only gay suck fests are his cup of tea , coffee or whatever gays drink.

2. DarthSkeptical

DarthSkeptical Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 19, 2001
    There's something...interesting on rottentomatoes.com that I never noticed before. You can sort the reviews by (American) region, and wehn you do that a real split develops in the opinion: apparently the film is only "certified Fresh" west of the Mississippi. The Northeast is most unkind to the film, giving it only 73% or so, and the Southern reviewers only rate it marginally higher. Once you hit the midwest, we're back up to the "certifiable" level of 83% and Western reviewers give it an enthusiastic 90%.

Anyone want to take a stab at what might be causing this phenomenon?

3. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    Lots of the elitist critics who can't even see over their own high-brow noses live on the east coast.

4. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    The review I wrote for my school paper should be coming out tomorrow. I mentioned it earlier and no one commented :(

I want to know what you guys think. Please rate my review!

Revenge of the Sith Review(working title)
    By, Ross

From the opening title roll of Revenge of the Sith it is easy to see
    how this is a Star Wars different from all of the previous five.
    George Lucas spared nothing for the big finale to his masterpiece, 30
    years in the making.
    The first scene involves a space battle, larger, and more complicated
    than any space battle previously seen in his films. Space ships are
    blasting each other into pieces with an intensity and detail that
    Lucas has not treated viewers to, nor been able to treat viewers to,
    in the past. Careful examination reveals that exploded ships leave
    behind wreckage, and bodies floating through space, where in the past
    exploding space ships simply vanished due to the limitations of
    effects. This is definitely a different Star Wars movie.
    However, the aspects of Star Wars which viewers have come to expect
    since its inauguration in the late 70's are far from absent. R2-D2 is
    up to his usual slapstick stunts, hurling himself into walls at high
    speeds, and zapping tiny creatures that assault him The oft
    criticized acting is about par for Star Wars throughout most of the
    film. Hayden Christensen (plays Anakin Skywalker) delivers much of
    his lines with the wooden acting some have come to expect from the
    previous Episode. However Christensen also delivers some of the best
    lines in the film, helping to create some of the most powerful scenes.
    The corny lines are there too, no worse and no better than any of the
    other films. James Earl Jones, the famed voice of Darth Vader from
    the original films makes his triumphant return to the franchise with a
    "No" that must be heard to believe, and is likely to become as
    parodied as his "I am your father."
    For the dedicated fans, Lucas included many small features which allow
    for a seamless integration of his two trilogies. The same ship which
    flew across the screen as the original Star Wars opened, appears in a
    critical role for this film. Captaining the ship is the same captain
    as that choked by Darth Vader in the original Star Wars. Even Grand
    Moff Tarkin of the Death Star briefly appears on screen. These small
    roles, and more, help to merge the trilogies together.
    Episode III is also the first Star Wars film to feature a PG-13
    rating, a rating well earned. The film has strong adult themes, and
    bloody, gritty action throughout. The second half of the film
    features mass slaughter motivated by little more than religious and
    political differences, followed shortly by a handicapped man being
    burned alive in front of his friend.
    Its easy to get carried away with the intense emotions in the movie,
    even some of the Lucas' strongest critics are having trouble not
    getting too into the movie. Despite the usual assortments of corny
    and poorly phrased lines, the emotion in this film is over the top.
    Its definitely a different Star Wars movie, and its definitely one of
    the best films to come out this year.

Note: This version hadn't been edited for spelling and grammar yet.

5. rajarshinag

Sep 24, 2003
    hey dude u have to go into cliche of wooden acting by hayden ?
    i mean come on anyone who has seen the film can see that hayden did an awesome job, when he creams "LIAR" at padme, i was shocked, did know hayden had it iin him

he potrays the inner tumoil so effectively, his empty council scene was truly moving!

other than that u r wrting of the review is good, not bad at all

also as for the wreakage in space, u can see it too in episode 1 towards the ending, shows how much attention u were paying while seeing the movie!

6. NICHOLAS_SKYWALKER

NICHOLAS_SKYWALKER Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2005
    does anyone know what leonard maltin gave rots? and said about it.

7. SenatorPrincessLeia

SenatorPrincessLeia Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 21, 2005
    Its a professional sounding review I'm_just_guessing. Fortunately for us your like the film... we don't want to see your reviewing talents follow the dark side to starwars bashing : )

8. marathonjedi

marathonjedi Jedi Youngling star 2

May 5, 2005
    all this talk about how good cinderella man is did you guys see sith is still a tad higher on the tomatometer.

9. Im_just_guessing

Oct 23, 2002
    I only mentioned the Hayden's occasional bad acting because I didnt want the review to sound like I was just trying to praise the movie in every way possible. And a lot of the scenes have some poor acting. But as I believe I said, the scenes where he does good acting, he does fantastic acting.

10. mskeezer

mskeezer Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 29, 2004
    Hell has frozen over. Entertainment Weekly has finally said something good about Star Wars. On their Must List, Ewan McGregor and Ian McDiarmid both came in at #8:

The great Scots turn in marvelous performances (one nuanced, one scenery-chewing) that define the moral spectrum of Revenge of the Sith

11. AnikaAnakin

AnikaAnakin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 4, 2003
    I felt your review took an uneccesary dig at Hayden, who happens to deliver the best performance in the film. His acting was anything but wooden, he had more emotions in his eyes than all the rest of the cast together. Anakin didn't have to speak in some of the scenes because you could feel his inner turmoil and feelings just by looking into his eyes. That's great acting. If you absolutely feekl the need to complain at the acting for being in line with what's typical Star Wars such as wooden acting or over the top acting or whatever, you could just as well have brought up Ian McDiarmids over the top performance, or sam Jackson for being wooden and stiff.

12. SweiitConcorkill

SweiitConcorkill Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 28, 2004
    It would appear that 1) Rottentomatoes is up to its old tricks again, right away posting up the negative reviews and holding off on the good reviews (bringing the overall score down) and 2) people are creating accounts for the purpose of bringing down the user score.

So, counter the basher attempts if you care. Review the movie for yourself, or at least rank it under your account.

13. Jager

Jager Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    I agree that Hayden made a good showing. If you see wooden acting it may be the close-up kissing shots where Portman is reflected in his eyes.

14. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    Yes, everyone take just a few minutes to register at rottentomatos.com so that you create your own user review of ROTS!

Edit: And I agree that Hayden C. did a fantastic job of acting in ROTS. This talk of him being "wooden" is a preposterous proposition put out by elitist east-coast snobs who can't even see over their own high-brow noses.

15. Im_just_guessing

Oct 23, 2002
    Alright...I admit it...I only added the thing about Hayden as a cave in to peer pressure. :(

I actually couldnt find anything remotely bad to say, and I was afraid of sounding like a Star Wars nerd who could never see anything wrong with the movie, so I took on the majority opinion of the people around me. :(

I'm ashamed...and Im sorry...but hey...I really doubt my review is going to influence anyone on whether or not they see or enjoy the movie.

:( :( FORGIVE ME!! :_|

16. starwarsagent

starwarsagent Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    this review just came out thurs from the local READER newspaper here in san diego california. by duncan. OMG its the worst review I have ever read. its so ignorant.

Prequelitis

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The dire warnings of the film?s unsuitability for children seem a bit off base.
    By Duncan Shepherd
    Published June 2, 2005

Star Wars, Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
    The Zurich train station, the Hauptbahnhof as we world travellers would call it, had been partially blocked off for a makeshift movie amphitheater on May 19, so that Zurichers could participate en masse in the appointed Third Coming, the global premiere of Star Wars, Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. Or so I gathered. I was not really interested. I was on vacation, and the last of the three prequels, evenly spaced out at three-year intervals, could very well wait for my return home. The previous prequels, after all, had struck me as perfectly awful, in addition to uncalled-for, so it was difficult for me to get swept up in the media groundswell. The media these days, forgetful of how swiftly the earlier episodes had been swallowed in the summer stampede, are not wont to temper their enthusiasm based on the worthiness of the enterprise. Not when there are prospective customers to be curried and coddled; not when there is a bandwagon to be boarded; not when there is a wind to be blown with. I myself, meanwhile, might have been said to be looking forward to the film only in the sense of getting it over with. More properly, I might have been said to be looking past it.

What is there, presently, to be looking at? Following one of those prolix prologues for the benefit of viewers like me who have done no boning up since 2002, the action picks up in medias res (standard practice for classical epics), with our master and apprentice Jedi Knights, Obi-Wan and Anakin, threading their way through an incoherent air battle to wrest the abducted Chancellor Palpatine from the clutches of Count Dooku and General Grievous. George Lucas's latter-day visual style comes back to us in a twinkling: the flatness of the humans and the overfertilized fluorescence of their computer-generated surroundings, something like sticks of wood in a stop-motion tomato patch. Even the most static scene of dialogue will be busied up in the background with clouds of spacecraft as thick as mosquitoes in a Minnesota August. The waxy, plasticky, rubbery flesh of the humans, in Lucas's state-of-the-art DV image, could be said to help them blend in with the cartoon creatures and contraptions; it could not be said to redeem their humanity.

But to return to the action: Anakin, as we all are aware ahead of time, is on course to explore the Dark Side of the Force, his personal Darth side, "motivated" by his impalpable passion for Padmé, the Senator formerly known as Queen, and by his premonitions of her death in childbirth. (She, having not seen the original trilogy, is more concerned with the fate of her offspring, little Luke and, in short order, little Leia.) "The fear of loss," elucidates Yoda, dropping his customary scrambled syntax for extra clarity, "is a path to the Dark Side." After the fact, he reverts to form: "Twisted by the Dark Side, young Skywalker has become." In truth, about the only fun in the film -- at its expense, not to its profit -- comes from the Little Green Man's fractured and re-spliced sentences ("For the Clones to discover the recalibration, a long time it will take") or sentence fragments ("A prophecy that misread could have been"). Even that unlovable cut-up, Jar Jar Binks, is brought back only to take part in a funeral procession and to keep his big mouth shut. This is a dark time indeed.

Looking more and more like Uma Thurman (pupils floating upwards) and talking more and more like Ryan Phillippe (pouty lips over tight jaw), the leading man, Hayden Christensen, appears to plumb the depths of darkness about as far as a college sophomore facing a term-paper deadline when he would really ra

17. PrinceEspaaValorum

PrinceEspaaValorum Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    Im_just_guessing
    Alright...I admit it...I only added the thing about Hayden as a cave in to peer pressure.

I'm glad someone finally admitted to this!

18. The Flying Dutchman

The Flying Dutchman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2000
    hmmm, that reviewer sure had his dogg killed by lucas...

19. starwarsagent

starwarsagent Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    I know, it was the worst review I ever read.

20. rajarshinag

Sep 24, 2003
    hey give me details on this **language warning**
    i'll show him some dark side!

anyways seen the movie 12 times in theaters now
    and not alone btw! the first time it was 9 of us
    and the last time 2!
    even dragged my ex-gf and her friend along once!
    she thought hayden was awesome! hah, she had a crush on him since AOTC!

21. Im_just_guessing

Oct 23, 2002
    My review is now on the intarwebnet. I feel like a real writer.

Too bad Im quiting journalism and shall never write again.

22. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    You guys will be pleased to know that on the front page of Rottentomatoes.com, ROTS and Cindarella Man have the highest ratings of all the current movies listed at 83%. [face_dancing]

And yes, I've known since well before ROTS was released that ROTS was always at or near that percentage. :)

23. Mystic_Warrior_Queen

Mystic_Warrior_Queen Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2005
    Here's my reviewof this movie....

Bad news first....
    I have spoiled myself crazy when it comes to this film, and there are now some spoiler reprts I wish I hadn't read becausethe scenes didn't have certain things that I was expecting to see in them.
    I thought the pace of this film was FAR to Fast, maybe its because this the first time Ive seen this film but It was like George just said here this is 30 years of my life thats it its done. Scenes were cut to quickly, for Example, When ANikan kills Dooku, there isn't enough of Sidious goading him on like he did with luke, and there was nothing about the rise of the rebellion in this film. I wished that the Scene when Anikan is slaughtering the Jedi was all one scene. I with that Order 66 would have been portrayed a bit slower,
    I wanted more in certain scenes and The Cutting and the wiping just rapped a scene up to quickly, although thats the way it has been in all Star Wars movies.
    Things came one after the other and we didn't have time to catch our breaths.
    I wish George had not been such a harsh editor with this film. I didn't like the fact the Qui-gon scene got taken out, I thought it was definatley needed.
    I thought there shouuld have been a bit more of ANikan being excited about the fact he was going to become a father, I wished it had more emtion in it over all. I thought the scene after Vader rises, when he screams NOOOO was good just I didn't like the circle Wipe that was bad and I thought there would have been more stuff to destroy, and Sidious cackling in the background, I wish that george had not goen with so many Wipes in this film, because it reminded me of the fact that I was watching a film. I guess I should not loose heart though, the DVD will be out soon, and with repeated viewings I will get used to all of the super quick pacing and HOPEFULLY there will be things added in to the DVD that will make it extended or something like that.
    The crowd I went with sucked, I was one of the first in line, My friend got there at 1 :30 I got there at 7pm we were going to the 10pm showing. the crowd laughed at some moments like when R2 banged in to the wall, that was funny, and when Yodat took out the red guards, but there was no reaction NONE to the key "Epic moments to this film. lIke when Sidious named Anikand there was no ohhh or anything when Anikan choked Padme, there was no groaning.

Great news...

This film felt somewhat un-starwarshish, I can't explain why. just a feeling.
    It was a good feeling though. All hell breaks loose in this movie.
    I Liked the moments with yoda and Sidious Vs Yoda, and all the sabre duels,
    Ewan Mcgregor pulls off a wonderful Obi-wan kenobi and reminded me a lot of Alec Guiness. I loved all the scenes with Anikan and Padm'e I thought that maybe, there should have been more, but Attack of the clones was time for Roamnce, Revenge Of The Sith got down to Business. I Loved the opening battle,
    I Loved the Moment when Anikan becomes Sidiouses Apprentice, thatw as BEAUTIFUL there are many beautiful moments in this film, but the way Sidious spoke to Anikan was great, This was truly the Emperors film!! I liked the Dream sequences, they wre really cool and different for a Star Wars movie, it felt like you were seeing them through someones eye.
    I Liked Haydens performance a lot. I didn't like how he spoke monotone all the time, that bothered me a bit But He Rocks in this film!! The Best by far moment of Haydens performance is when he sees Obi-wan on the landing deck and portrays "Liar!" HE JUST SCREAMS! and the conversation that follows was great! He explodes like a Volcanoe (giggles), Finally! no holding back anymore! More Emotion! He Finally expresses another Emotion other than arrogance. I was sitting there thinking "Yes" "Yes" Yell! Scream! get upset! I was so happy with the the events that started the duel. Th Duel was great, It felt a bit short, as was the one with Yoda and Sidious but over all great. John Williams score really helps this film with its expression of emotions. Hayden is not a bad actor at all, He

24. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Here's Sci-fi novelist Orson Scott Cards opinion of ROTS. You may remember that Mr Scott_Card (someone whos name I'm in love with, BTW) absolutly hated AOTC. Thanks to Azrafel for sending me this to post here. :)

The Star Wars saga seems to have been the dream of George Lucas's childhood. In his mind's eye he saw great starfleets in battle, mighty armies sweeping their enemies before them, ruthless politicians outmaneuvering each other, and in the midst of all, the powerful Jedi knights, each one the match for an army, wielding the power that lies hidden within the fabric of all life in the universe.

Lucas saw one child, born in an obscure corner of the universe, but touched with power and shaped by destiny. He did not know who fathered him, but he was adopted by the Jedi and trained to be the mightiest of them all. Alas, he turned to the dark side of the force and became the tool of pure evil; but a son and daughter conceived when he was still within the circle of the Jedi would grow up to defeat his master and liberate him from the darkness that had swallowed up the goodness that was always innate within him.

It was an epic of breathtaking scope and George Lucas could not forget it. He became a filmmaker; his first major film, American Graffiti, become the touchstone of a generation and gave him the power to make whatever film he wanted.

He wanted to make his epic dream come to life on the screen, in all its majesty and power -- and humor, and love, and heroism, and sacrifice ...

He labored over the special effects to make it all seem real, and he succeeded. The dream of his childhood was there on the screen.

Too bad his inner child never learned how to write.

He did fine with American Graffiti -- those characters spoke with the voices of his own teenage years. But Star Wars required heroic dialogue and Lucas never acquired an ear for it. It's as if someone who once heard a few passages of Shakespeare decided to write the sequel to Romeo and Juliet.

Worse and Worse

On the first Star Wars film he had help. He was not yet so powerful that no one would criticize his work and help him get rid of the most embarrassing clunkers. On the next two films, better writers helped him even more, so that, at least in The Empire Strikes Back, his saga matched his vision aurally as well as visually.

Then he went sixteen years without making a movie before returning to write the true beginning of his epic.

But by now he was a legend. Fans not only worshiped him, some actually believed in the Force and listed "Jedi" as their religion. In Hollywood, a land where the only signs of divinity are fame and money, he had so much of both that there was no one left who could say to him, "George, please, get some help on that scene, it's going to make people laugh in the theaters, and not the right way."

Instead, it was apparently all "Yes, Mr. Lucas" and "Wonderful, Mr. Lucas" and the result was two of the most successful wretched films in history.

Now the saga is complete. The end of Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith introduces the three prime movers of the original three movies: Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, and the black-masked Darth Vader.

And here's the interesting thing. Even though the characterization is nonexistent, the relationships are like a seven-year-old's impression of how grownups act, the politics are clearly the product of a mind that has never grasped history, and the science is at the "How can rivers flow north?" level, the underlying saga still manages to touch a chord.

Don't misunderstand. I laughed along with the other people in the theater at those horrible moments when the poor actors were forced to say some of the most appalling lines ever spoken on the screen outside of an Ed Wood movie. I could not possibly care about characters who were never for a moment believable as human beings.

In fact, the dialogue in Sith kept reminding me of Singin' in the Rain, and the awful melodramatic "talkie" that they're making as a film-within-the-film.

But

25. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    G-Fett, was that the 39th Rotten review on RT.com?

Wait, was that rotten, or freshed?? I'm confused.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.