main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OFFICIAL THREAD: Memorable TPM "Spoilers"

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Strilo , May 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    As part of the celebration of the fifth anniversary of the release of The Phantom Menace, I thought it would be a blast to share some of the outrageous, totally incorrect, hilarious or just flat out fascinating "spoilers" in the months and years before TPM.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Uuuuuh.... hmmmm... I can remember some crazy AOTC ones, but I can't think of any TPM ones... other than Palpatine being a clone, but that one hung around until the TPM DVD commentaries addressed Sidious's identity.

3. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I don't remember any myself... but here's a few TFN reports from back in the day:

Trade Federation Nimoudians Spy Report
    Tue, Oct 20, 98 12:00:00 AM EDT

The leaders of this greedy bunch appear to be Nute Gunray, Rune Hakko, and Dudley Dofine. We know almost nothing about any of these characters other than their name. We know that some if not all of them are probably of the Nimoudian species. Some might remember early rumors that stated that the Nimoudians looked similar to the Duros that we caught a glimpse of in the Cantina. Some other rumors from Italy stated that they wore big tall hats, seemingly similar to that character in the early "Jabba's Palace" paintings by Ralph McQuarrie. Nothing further has come about to validate these early rumors, and no additional information has surfaced on any of these characters. It will be interesting to learn about the dynamics between the Trade Federation and the Sith. Speaking of Sith, we've heard rumors that there may be such a thing as Sith Knights. Sure you've got your Jedi Masters (on the Jedi Council) and your Jedi Knights, so why not have your Sith Lords, along with some Sith Knights for good measure. [hr][/blockquote]

[link=http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/tfn.cgi?storyID=648]More Darth Maul Speculation
    Fri, Nov 13, 98 12:00:00 AM EDT[/link]

[blockquote][hr]The following is a possible spoiler if it ends up being true, so highlight to read:

Shawn M. Blake recalled that when Timothy Zahn started writing Heir to the Empire, he actually wanted Joruus C'Boath to be a clone of Obi-Wan Kenobi. Lucasfilm axed the idea. Was it because he wanted to use the idea in the film? Consider this. Marvel Comics at one time wanted to do a story about a second Death Star, but Lucasfilm axed it. Then, lo and behold, it showed up in Return of the Jedi. Hmmmmm. Schwoozer also noted that Ray Park's only other credit at the Internet Movie Database was in Mortal Kombat: Annihilation as...get this..."Rayden's double". Experience as a double, eh?[hr][/blockquote]

[link=http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/tfn.cgi?storyID=649]Darth Maul Theory
    Sat, Nov 14, 98 12:00:00 AM EDT[/link]

[blockquote][hr]More commentary on the Darth Maul theory. If it ends up being true, it's a spoiler, so you'll have to highlight it to read it.

Now that we've heard one side of the theory thinking that Darth Maul might be a clone of Obi-Wan, it's time to hear the other side of the argument. Prequel Watch and several others have stated that the packaging we saw for the figures was prototype packaging. We've been able to confirm that the packaging is not a prototype, but rather the real thing. It's what you'll see on the shelves. So the question is whether or not the depiction of Maul was accurate on the cover. One of our informants said the paint marks on the face were accurate, but the facial features are different. They said, "While Darth Maul's face appears thinner and his ears bigger, this could all be a work of makeup artist." Jon Gyngell also noticed the same thing about the Prototype Figures revealed on Prequel Watch a while back.:

[i]I thought I'd try to add a new perspective to this interesting idea. Do you remember the pics of the Kenner prequel toys from a while back, well if you compare the Obi-Wan and Maul figures, it looks like they are in *no way* the same. Totally different face shape, especially the chin. I know sometimes the Kenner figures can be a little inaccurate, but surely something as important as a clone would be seen in the figures too? Also, looking at the differences between the figures made me look again the Darth Maul pic. The chin seems too long to be Ewan's. Plus Ewan has a very large mole on his cheek which is not apparent on Maul (even if it was painted red, you would see the outline. Surely a clone would inherit moles?!). I also tried (*very* roughly) painting the whole of Maul's face red to get rid of the misleading black tatoos. Again, it doesn't look much like Ewan to me. What do you

4. DarthShona

DarthShona Jedi Master star 5

Jul 29, 2003
    Awesome thread idea, strilo! [face_laugh]

The only one I really remember is Darth Bane supposedly being in it. I kinda wish he would have been, but I like TPM anyways. :)

5. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I remember this one...

Star Wars: Episode I - Balance of the Force

:D

whostheBossk likes this.
  6. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    Excellent find, ousley. Some of those rumors are pretty funny, especially the ones about Maul being a clone of Obi-Wan.

7. Darth Jamus

Darth Jamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    More on Naboo Orbs
    Thu, Nov 19, 98 12:00:00 AM EDT

Also some of you might be familiar with the shot of Palpatine's statue holding that large orb in his hand that was at the end of the ROTJ:SE. It's a fairly minor thing, but when rumors started to turn up about it being featured in Episode I, many began to speculate about it's significance. Apparently the orb is in the possession of the Queen and is a symbol of power. We don't think it has any mystical powers, but probably serves the same function as a scepter. Of course, Palpatine's possession of it would be symbolic and the tearing down of the statue of him holding the orb would be even more symbolic. Interesting stuff.

That one has really played out now hasn't it??? [face_plain]

Ian McDiarmid, Palpatine, and Darth Sidious?
    Thu, Dec 17, 98 12:00:00 AM EDT

T'Bone posted a news item saying that Palpatine and Sidious are both played by Ian McDiarmid. This has been a point of speculation for some time, so it's good to see some spy address it. Chryen sent us the following note that seems to back up the notion (note it was sent earlier in the week):

This is Chyren here. In response to heated rumours on the Force.net Prequel Forum over the precise relation of Sidious to Senator Palpatine, I created this comparative image with the screenshots of Sidious and Palpatine from their action figure packaging, shots of the known Emperor from ROTJ, and blown up sections of their features for closer comparison.

http://www.jediknight.net/jkmag/bfp2/0compare1.gif

Notice that the shiny dragon clasp the Emperor wears at his neck is identical to that worn by Sidious.

I created this late on the 14th. Ironically on T'bone's Prequel Preview site, he later confirmed that McDiarmid is actually also playing Sidious. I stress that my image was created before this info was released, and was posted on both the Prequel Forum at your site and at The Virtual Edition's forum around 9.45 pm last nite.

So, as you see, a lot of people were all thinking along the same lines. It also makes sense if you look at other evidence. I mean, we've got names of every actor playing every character EXCEPT for Darth Sidious. Exploring the possibilities, I'll offer up another bit of speculation. Look at the Darth Sidious figure and the Senator Palpatine figure. Note how much more wrinkled Sidious is than Palpatine? If they are the same guy, why is one wrinkled by the Dark Side and the other not? Could it be that one is the clone of the other? After all, in the Dark Empire comic by Tom Vietch, the Emperor was resurrected as a clone. Before you snort and make cracks about what's canon and not, take note that Lucas himself approved Veitch making an Emperor clone. Not only that, Lucas reportedly told Veitch he loved the story. (Remember that Tales of the Jedi had a double bladed lightsaber first, as well.) Would that inspire a Sidious/Palpatine connection and make a good lead into the Clone Wars? Who knows! But it's fun to kick around ideas.

And so it began!!!!! :confused: :confused:

DESTROYER DROIDS and DARTH MAUL RUMOR
    Thu, Jan 21, 99 09:00:00 AM EDT

T'bone has got some great new pictures of the destroyer droids. Shown are the black, silver, and bronze variations. Worth checking out!

This may or may not be spoiler material, so highlight to read:

One of the earliest rumors we heard about Darth Maul was that, in some scenes, ILM was going to place CG flames around his skull (ala Ghost Rider). We don't know if they will still do it, if they scrapped the idea, or if it was really ever an idea at all. I suppose time will tell.

More news and fan art later today.

LOL, now there is one that I never saw before! Flames around Maul's head, LOL! [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

8. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Hehe, even though Episode I was the first major step to balancing the Force, the title certainly didn't fit the film. ;)

And nice stuff, Jamus. I imagine that if these boards are around five years after the release of Episode III, we'll be sitting here doing the same thing. :D

Here's some more spy stuff:

SPY REPORT: POD RACE
    Fri, Jan 29, 99 05:00:00 PM EDT

An anonymous informant sent us in these bits of info from the Pod Race. They are spoilers below!
    XELBREE, BOZZIE, TERTER, OBITOKI, HABBA, and ODY MYSTURALL are all pod racers from the early draft of the script. In one scene, a droid, curiously named DUM-4, runs in front of ODY MYSTURALL's pod and the alien shouts at him to get out of the way of the huge 747-like engines. Later during the race, as DUM-4 again demonstrates his keen grip on reality, DUM-4 runs front of a pod in the pits being repaired, and when BOZZIE starts the engine, he sucks the droid in to the intake mainifold. The engine coughs and dies, then explodes. "Droids!" he says. [hr][/blockquote]

[link=http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/tfn.cgi?storyID=547]SPY REPORT: NABOO FIGHTER SCENES
    Mon, Jan 25, 99 02:22:00 PM EDT[/link]

[blockquote][hr]An anonymous tipster let us know that in the course of their job they saw a special Laserdisc with shots from TPM. Each shot was preceeded by a blue screen with the ILM logo and a shot number and shot description. Each shot was a few seconds long and all were of Naboo craft in battle. This was, in the tipster's words, "absolutely fantastic looking stuff!"
    The tipster went on to describe some scenes (highlight spoilers to read):

[i]"One shot showed a very familiar looking scene of a squadron of Naboo craft on approach to one of those huge circular ships seen in the trailer. The camera followed them from behind and they slowly pulled away into the distance. It reminded me of the X-wings on approach to the Death Star. Most of the shots were of the fighter craft flying through on-coming laser fire and close-ups shots of pilots in their cockpits including Anakin doing a couple of barrel rolls. Lots of exploding craft, and one scene that was in the trailer. My favorite shot by far was a POV view from in the cockpit of one of the Naboo ships as it sped through what looked like the hanger room. It dodged several objects and squeezed through a door that looked like it was closing." [/i]

This person also sent along their own very rough and hurried hand-drawn storyboards of one of these scenes. [link=http://www.theforce.net/episode1/newspics/naboohangerstbd.gif]Click here to view[/link]. [hr][/blockquote]

[link=http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/tfn.cgi?storyID=534]SPY REPORT: FIRST MEETING OF ANAKIN and Smithsonian reports
    Fri, Jan 29, 99 06:00:00 PM EDT[/link]

[blockquote][hr]A reliable source (that has requested to remain nameless at this time) with direct access to an early draft of the script has chimed in with some new news on the first meeting on Anakin and Padme. The source went on to describe their first scenes (highlight spoilers to read):

[i]Anakin thinks Padme is an 'angel.' He has not seen a woman like her ever in his life on the outer-rim planet of Tatooine. In their first dialogue, Anakin asks her if she is an angel and then proceeds to ask her to marry him. She replies that she thought that wasn't possible because he is "just a boy." Anakin grins and replies, "But I won't always be." [/i]

This spy also indicated there is more to come in the future.

Also make sure to check out [link=http://perso.club-internet.fr/willow/Prequel_Cast12.jpg]this new picture of Obi-Wan[/link] on Sam Davatchi's Page.

E Janniche sent the following:

[i]Hi, I was able to attend the party tonight for the volunteers for the Star Wars exhibit at the Smithsonian in DC. It was fun, but no Earth shattering news. Your basic food and drinks, people in costume, door prizes(the prizes were all normal items that you can get from the Fan Club), then finally the

9. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    One of the earliest rumors we heard about Darth Maul was that, in some scenes, ILM was going to place CG flames around his skull (ala Ghost Rider). We don't know if they will still do it, if they scrapped the idea, or if it was really ever an idea at all. I suppose time will tell.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Classic!

10. Darth Jamus

Jun 1, 2000
    Thanks jedi_master_ousley! :)

SPY REPORT: Description of the Senate chamber
    Fri, Feb 26, 99 10:04:27 PM EDT

A regular spy with script access contributes this little description of the senate scenes in TPM. Feel free to discuss it in the Jedicouncil forums. Here's what they had to say . . . (very minor spoilers, so highlighting is necessary):

The Senate chambers are huge. Thousands of SENATORS and their AIDES sit in the circular assembly area. CHANCELLOR VALORUM sits in an elevated area in the center. Hundreds of AIDES and DROIDS hurry about. SENATOR PALPATINE, QUEEN AMIDALA, EIRTAE, YANE, and CAPTAIN PANAKA sit in the Naboo congressional box, which is actually a floating platform. JAR JAR sits to the far side of the box, and everyone tries to keep their distance from him. PALPATINE sits next to the QUEEN.

Remember, this description is from an early draft of the script, and may be changed in the final version of the film.

So JarJar was going to be present in the Senate chamber. Interesting, seeing that he went on to actually become a Senator. I wonder if he would have done anything silly during the serious scene in which the Queen pleads for help on behalf of her invaded planet? [face_mischief]

Hear Jar Jar Speak!!
    Mon, Feb 22, 99 12:15:45 AM EDT

In the early days of prequel news and rumors, the strange speech patterns and dialect of Jar Jar Binks was the topic of much debate and speculation. Those spies who had heard it had difficulty describing it. In trailer A, we've all caught two snippets of his voice: once as the sub moves suddenly, and second as he's zapped by the pod. Still, even the recent dialog posted on the internet has failed to give a good idea of what we'll hear in the end product.
    TheForce.Net has obtained a sound file of Jar Jar speaking a few lines from the film. This sound is not post-production quality (I'm sure Ben Burtt will be applying magic yet) and may not represent exact takes that make it to the final film. However, it does give us a sense of what we'll be hearing from this already popular character.

Be warned! This file definitely contains spoilers! (You'll be able to catch Liam Neeson as well.)

I remember listening to this quite well. I couldn't understand the first thing JarJar said and feared that my initial suspicions about JarJar being irritating rather than funny were true! :( The links in the original article actually take you to several audio clips from many different characters from the film which are not the initial ones heard back then! Back then it was a clip from JarJar and Qui-Gon in the Gubgan sub, which wasn't the best example to present us for a first impression! [face_shocked]

Portman's Lines Redubbed
    Wed, Feb 24, 99 02:20:39 PM EDT

Alongside the great new picture of Padme, queenamidala.com is reporting that Natalie Portman had to redub much of her dialog in TPM due to her voice changing and background noise. See this site for further details as well as older stories on Portman including her personal 'Making of TPM' home video and plans to drop out of school in May before TPM-mania.

Don't I seem to remember the sound of Episode 1 getting all screwed up, or was it the actual footage?? :confused: Anyhow, it all turned out to be utter crap!

Where Battledroids Fear to Tread
    Fri, Feb 19, 99 04:02:29 PM EDT

Two Battledroids are heading towards the entrance of the hangar. (A major battle between battledroids and Jedi happens there.)

As the two droids approach the entrance, they are told that there are two Jedi Knights inside. When the meaning of this dawns on them, they look at each other, then turn around and run away, scared for their lives.

George Lucas definitely hasn't lost the sense of humor that the original Star Wars h

11. sidious_onset

sidious_onset Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 27, 2003
    So many wonderful memories! I remember every single one of those spoilers!

All of these posts remind me of what a fun time that was.

Remember this?

http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/tfn.cgi?storyID=2341

When this review came out, I thought it was a joke or something. All of that excitement killed by Newsweek. David Ansen was WAY too hard on the film.

12. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    Man, it's like I'm taking an actual trip down memory lane, like in one of those cheesy soap opera shows... very cool.

Banner still looks awesome, color-scheme's improved. Old spy reports are just gold, I remember every single one of them.

13. Darth Jamus

Jun 1, 2000
    Bye the way, I just want to claify that in my statment "Don't I seem to remember the sound of Episode 1 getting all screwed up, or was it the actual footage?? Anyhow, it all turned out to be utter crap!" I was referring to the rumors and not the film! [face_blush] Here is the actual story from the link provided by sidious_onset in the post above. ;) I agree, the critics were way too harsh, but that was nothing next to what they did to the actual film!

Newsweek - TPM Flame, article on hype, editorial by Fisher
    Sun, May 09, 99 02:26:21 PM EDT

Newsweek is a very mixed bag this week. Tons of SW articles, but most of them are depressing at best. First up there's a very negative review of the film. Then there's an editorial where Carrie Fisher retells of her experiences on the set. Then there's an article on the hype. Not very cheery. View at your own risk.

I didn't bother making the link for Newsweek usable, because it is no longer valid for the topic, taking you to updated news stories today instead!

I was really angered by how evil all of the reviewers were of TPM, I mean it was nowhere near what people said back then. The days leading up to the film were awesome, the days following were sad, having to put up with evil, vitriolic attitudes evreywhere you turned!

Jar Jar Backlash
    Wed, May 26, 99 10:13:41 AM EDT

By now, you've likely heard some of the Jar Jar media backlash, including claims that Jar Jar is a poor representation of homosexuals and African Americans. (How they came to think that Jar Jar was supposed to represent either is beyond my capacity.) A Philadelphia Inquirer article, Even some Earthlings are dissing the "Star Wars" reptile, explores some of these complaints with responses from Ahmed Best (Jar Jar's voice).

"People who are reacting like that, I think they really have to do some soul-searching and discover the prejudices that they have," Best said by cell phone from near his Brooklyn home.
    "I saw an innocence in the character. I saw the honesty of the character. I saw the awkward kid who just didn't fit in. I was definitely the kid who didn't fit in. That's why I identified with the character."

That probably made me roll my eyes worse than anything else that was ever stated about this film! :mad: :( Enough with the bad memories, here are a few more funny and interesting articles from the past:

SPY REPORT: Naboo Guards
    Fri, May 28, 99 07:43:55 PM EDT

Someone very much "In the Know" shoots us this little tidbit:

In many of the shots where you see the Naboo guards standing at attention in the background, you may notice that they start to look familiar. No, it's not because they are famous people. It's that they are the same people...again and again. First signs of the Clone Wars? Not exactly. The "actors" playing the background guards are in actuality ILM technical directors who composited themselves into the shots, in some cases several times over. ILM employees are often filmed as insert elements to fill up scenes in movies that ILM is working on. In addition to incidental Naboo guards, most of the shots of the people in the stands at the pod race in Episode I are ILM employees.

Ah, but that was nothing next to the all digital Clone Troopers that were to come! :cool: :cool:

Titanic vs. TPM
    Thu, May 20, 99 07:34:56 PM EDT

A new page has opened up, tracking TPM against the #1 Box office champ. Can it sink the big boat and become the "king of the world?" Here's the report:

I just wanted to let you people know that if they are interested in tracking Episode's 1 gross to go to this page to find all of the info you could want. Unsinkable? I DON'T THINK SO !!

Now this was one I had forgotten about too, though I d

whostheBossk likes this.
  14. Darth Pikachuwbacca

Darth Pikachuwbacca Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2000
    To this day, that soundtrack listing still angers me! I mean, I had my suspicions, based on Obi-Wan screaming NOOOO in the trailer, and the fact that I couldn't see how Qui-Gon would fit in to the next two films. Plus the parallels with Episode IV that seemed evident from the beginning. But come on! What a rotten spoiler, three weeks before the movie came out!

The battle was still good though. I was shocked when he died, it was almost out of nowhere.

15. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    One I remember from the mid-90's was that they were going to digitally alter Alec Guinness to appear younger for the films. Crazy huh?

16. Gillespee

Gillespee Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 1999
    Darth Jamus alluded to it, but more than any other rumor, I remember the one that stated that like 90% of the Episode I footage they had filmed so far was actually unusable due to sand in the lenses of the camera or some such nonsense and they'd have to refilm it all. Of course, it turned to be just a stupid rumor, but I remember being VERY tense about the fate of the movie until it was debunked.

17. orangefuzz

orangefuzz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2003
    I was only like 9 or 10 when it came out so I don't remember much. One thing I do vividly remeber though was when Panaka read Artoo's number off to Amidala, the crowd cheered. That was great. I also remeber thinking how awesome the Nemodians were.

18. Darth Pikachuwbacca

Jan 22, 2000
    The rumour about the unusable footage came up again for Episode II, stating that the digital cameras produced images that weren't good at all. But since these cameras had been used before in smaller capacity, nobody really paid much attention to that (false) claim.

19. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I was 12 when I first came out.
    It was so great!

Then I saw it a second time, my friend's birthday party was at the cinema and we all sat down. The kid next to me thought that the Jedi in the opening sequence were the Sith, and he kept saying, I bet that is Maul.

It all seems like yesterday.

-Seldon

20. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Up for new discussion...

21. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    I didn't see the film until it had been out for awhile, and around the time I did, somebody told me this absolutely hilarious rumor. Apparently, the character Anakin Skywalker was supposed to fall in love with and succeed in later marrying Padme's character. I found that to be funny. I mean, who would come up with something like that? ;)

22. MasterWiYa

MasterWiYa Jedi Youngling star 3

May 13, 2004
    Haha this is great stuff.

I went spoiler-free for Episode I, to the extent where I only saw the trailers like 2-3 times (as far as I can remember).

So when I saw it I was just blown away.

Sadly the only thing spoiled for me was Qui-Gon's death (damn soundtrack track-listings!).

23. Darth Pikachuwbacca

Jan 22, 2000
    I guess this thread wasn't very memorable, because I just re-read the entire thing before realizing I had posted in it twice before, back in May.

24. Delorean_Kenobi

Delorean_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Mar 14, 2003
    We've received information indicating that there is a "Frog Attack" during our heroes visit to Mos Espa!

Frog Attack!!

Look out Qui-Gon!!! It's Darth Kermit!!!

25. Grand_Duchess_Olga

Grand_Duchess_Olga Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    I remember reading Entertainment Weekly (I think Ewan was on the cover) were they said there might be a Lady Kenobi (an actress with a spanish surname was listed as Lady Kenobi) and that Alec would narrate.

I also remember that some article (I can't remember from where) said Queen Amidala was going to appear naked!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.