main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*OFFICIAL THREAD* Obi-Wan Kenobi Ep III Discussion Thread--Part 6

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by naw ibo, Dec 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    You knew it had to come, I figured it might as well happen sooner rather than later, thanks to a nudge from Ewan-Kenobi. :)

The objective of this thread is for speculation and discussion focusing on Obi-Wan Kenobi in Episode III(est. release date May 2005). Here are a few ideas for topics to start us off:

*At the beginning of Episode III, where do you think Obi-Wan will be?

*What part do you think Obi-Wan will be playing in the Clone Wars?(Ex: Will he be on Alderaan already?)

*What will Obi-Wan's standing be within the Jedi Order and among his fellow Jedi?

*Where do you think Obi-Wan's relationship with Anakin will stand?

I had no idea the JC was already starting an EP III discussion forum so this is a bit of a rushed beginning and it's 3:30 AM right now where I am, so I'm a bit groggy. :D

-------------------------------------

Also, a brief history of the Official Obi-Wan Discussion threads: The original Official Obi-Wan Discussion thread was begun on 26 July 1999 by a certain Jedi Master Ann'ho Fila after it was frequently commented that Obi-Wan fans tended to be a bit disorganzed and thus less able to "support" their hero. [face_love] ::bats eyelashes::

The thread was a great success and it turned out that Obi-Wan did indeed inspire a good deal of interest. :) The very first thread is still visible here: The Official Organized Obi-Wan Thread

When the Episode II and III Spoiler forum was started, another Official Obi-Wan Discussion thread was started there. Due to the instability of the old UBB boards AND the popularity of the thread, it was necessary to start new threads whenever the old ones became overloaded. This led to FOUR more threads, including the current one which was begun in May 2000 and made the transfer to Snowboards. This is still active here: The Official Obi-Wan Kenobi Eps II & III Discussion and Speculation Thread--Part 5

There are now over 4250 posts on that still quite active thread(in addition to nearly 2000 posts from lost threads Parts 2, 3 and 4) and much of it actually manages to be on-topic, and most importantly, respectful discussion.

Hopefully we'll be able to nurture the same type of atmosphere over here, with the help of old friends and new ones, on this new thread.

Here is the traditional Shrine to "our hero" :D :

A young man who(unbeknownst to himself) holds the embers of a dying age in his hands:
    [image=http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~marganng/obihurt.jpg]

The hardworking, dedicated master whose world will soon collapse around him:
    [image=http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~marganng/obiwan06.jpg]

The venerable knight fostering a new hope:
    [image=http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~marganng/oldben.jpg]

And the obligatory Obi-Wan Discussion thread good luck kilt shot:
    [image=http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~marganng/EwanUs.jpg]

2. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    Obi-Wan rules. Nuff said. ;)

3. EwokSith

EwokSith Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 20, 2001
    In Ep3 I think Obi-Wan will be involved in a love triangle with Padme. ;)

4. cyberman

cyberman Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 1999
    Obi-Wan has alot to accomplish in EpIII. We can all look forward to him becomming a general, dualing Anakin, hiding Luke and Lea, and comiserating with Yoda in preperation for their hiding... this includes establishing his hovel on tatooine.

While I don't think there is enough time for a love triangle (and frankly find it trite), in the spirit of the respectful discussion I'll not belabor the point.

5. Ewan-Kenobi

Ewan-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 21, 2000
    *breaks champainge bottle over side of thread*

;)

Nicely done Naw!

Let's hope this one has as long and healthy a life as part5. :D

6. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    It'd be cool if he was on the council accomplishing what Qui-Gon didn't.
    If there even is a council in III :p

7. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I think we'll be seeing a complete shift in Obi-Wan's beliefs. He will begin to take the approach to the Force like he explained to Luke on Tatooine in ANH. It is an energy field that connects all living creatures. I think it is this slower, more philosophical approach that Anakin can no longer support. He had his problems with feeling underdeveloped in AOTC. But this is too much and it will ultimately lead to Anakin leaving the order.

8. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    Maybe I should have made that one rule--No Love Triangle talk! :D

Anyway, DarthSapient, I don't know that Obi-Wan would have any reason to change his beliefs. It doesn't seem to me that his beliefs are much different "now" than they were "then". He gets older and wiser but his beliefs don't seem to be much different. We just haven't seen him explain them yet because he was only a padawan in TPM and thus also wasn't necessarily consistent in his implementation.

I'm curious, what makes you think there will be some kind of change?

9. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    I think Obi-Wan will be a very sympathetic hero in this movie. He will do his best to sway Anakin from the dark side, but will fail, and resort to hiding his children. Although his final deed is a heroic one, that failure will hang over his head. I look forward to a subdued, but emotional performance from Ewan in this movie.

10. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I'm curious, what makes you think there will be some kind of change?

For me, it's the midichlorians that convince me. To Qui-Gon, midichlorians were the consummate measure of Force sensitivity. Yet there is no mention of midichlorians at all in the OT. I believe there will be a drastic shift in the understanding of the Force and it will be presented to Obi-Wan and Anakin from Yoda.

In AOTC we're supposed to learn why Yoda is the master. Do you really think holding off Dooku and supporting a crane will do it? Palpy has lightning. Yoda needs more. I have always thought that somehow Yoda will teach Obi-Wan and Anakin the skill of disappearing after death by temporarily recreating the spirit of Qui-Gon and allowing for communication with him.

After all, these are the only three with whom we save seen this done. It's a skill that is learned and taught. I can see both Obi-Wan and Anakin doubting the Force. This is kind of like Luke on Dagobah. And then Yoda pulls out all the stops. This will not only explain why these three can disappear, it will also fill the loophole where Obi-Wan refers to Yoda as the Jedi master who instructed him. So instead of being a measurable, physical thing it becomes a mystical energy field that binds and penetrates us. This is a change in philosophy for Obi-Wan.

11. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    I can see where you are coming from, but I don't believe Obi-Wan would doubt the Force. Obi-Wan would doubt himself but I don't think he'd doubt the Force. What happened at the end of TPM almost guarantees that. That's like one of those road to Damascus, I was blind but now I see moments. Right there, getting himself out of the pit and defeating Maul, he got a real sense of what the Force can do IF YOU are strong and good and focused. He found his center, calmed his mind and emotions and bye bye Maul. Obi-Wan might doubt himself or his ability to do that because he couldn't do it before Qui-Gon was skewered, but it is unlikely he'd doubt the Force.

It also doesn't seem like there needs to be some explanation of that remark about Yoda instructing Obi-Wan. We're going to see Yoda instructing the little Jedi and it is going to be made clear that young Jedi are all instructed by Master Yoda at some point. Plus we already had "But Master Yoda told me to be mindful of the future". Obi-Wan has already been instructed by Yoda.

12. royalguard96

Aug 13, 2001
    NAW:

Not sure if you've heard this theory before or not, but I wanted your take on it.

When Qui-Gon dies at the end of TPM, his finger traces the forehead of Obi-Wan, not unlike the motion he would make as he proceeds with a Jedi Mind Trick. Pure speculation, but could Qui-Gon have done this in an attempt to help convince Obi-Wan that Anakin was worth training and that he was indeed the Chosen One? Now I don't agree with this theory, because that would be awfully cold of Qui-Gon to pull, but it's an interesting one to be sure. Thoughts?

13. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    Ah yes, royalguard the old mind trick theory. :D

However, much as I'd almost love for it to be so--if only because I can't stand Qui-Gon and I wouldn't put it past him to try it even on his own padawan, I don't think that is what happened. I think Qui-Gon saw how upset Obi-Wan was and was reacting to it by affectionately touching his face(in a fatherly way) as that was all he had the strength to do at that point.

Besides Obi-Wan isn't weak-minded so I don't think a mind trick would work. ;) He may have let himself be played for a sap by the old hippie, but he isn't weak-minded. :D

I'd love to know what Dooku says to him in EP II, though. I love a good taunting, esp. with him trapped in that blue force field thingy and not able to do anything about it.

Whatever happens in the next two films I bet Yoda'll be rubbing it in at the end of EP III: "Told you so I did. Trained the boy should not be. All your fault it is. Blame it on me you will not. Loser you are." Poor Obi-Wan::sniff::

That Wascally Droid, I didn't comment on your Council idea. Sorry. I'd love that actually. I don't know if there will be a Council by then and it would kind of stink if people thought the only reason Obi-Wan was on it was because the ranks are so decimated, they'll let anyone on the council now. :) But, I'd still like to see him there. I guess it depends upon how active the Council is after the decimation on Geonosis. Will they continue to be so "front line"?

If not, then I don't know that Obi-Wan would be on the Council because he strikes me as being quite active during the War and it's aftermath. As Darth Sapient suggested this may still not be active enough for Anakin but I don't think he'd go and become all pacifist or anything.

14. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Great to see this here, naw ibo! :) I remember posting in Part 4 when I first came to the JC :) ...sometimes I wish I hadn't lost track of where I was, there are so many posts in Part 5 I don't know where to start fom...

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  15. yodaluke-wan

yodaluke-wan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2001
    ep3 is going to be so dark and gloomy there isn't much the fans will cheer about {the good guys that is} but there is one person that will bring us hope and its obi-wan kenobi, not only will he do what no other jedi can do that is defeat anakin {only to fail by not finishing the job imo} but also he will hide the hope of the galaxy, the infant luke. obi-wan is the one thing that will give the public anything to cheer about.

16. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    Well we can certainly hope it ends that way, can't we. :)

I just don't want to go into the final meeting of Obi-Wan and Vader in ANH and have the audience cheer when Vader kills him. ;) I hope they don't go the route that in order to give us this great sympathy with Vader we're supposed to have they decide they have to make Obi-Wan unsympathetic. There isn't any reason to do that. They can both be sympathetic and considering Obi-Wan actually manages to not go to the Dark Side, there isn't any real sense to making him look particularly bad. It would be a waste of a really great character(not to mention a really great job of portraying him by Alec Guinness) and some really good scenes between him and Luke.

17. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Hi, guys.
    I like this forum. It's so obvious we like to hear ourselves, more than official stuff. I do, anyway......

Well, I think Obi-wan will become a bit cynical and bitter. He goes from the irritated, "Good job!" (very kenobi-esque) to the more embittered, "In my in experience there's no such thing as luck." When I was little this line startled me,because he seemed so grandfatherly, you realize how much he suffered. So, IMO, Ben will lose a lot of faith in humanity, and embrace the force, instead.

18. royalguard96

Aug 13, 2001
    Hey guys. Hope everyone here had a great Christmas. I did get an Obi-Wan ornament from Hallmark, even though I got the same one last year.....no one could find the R2D2 ornament....any trade possibilities? Use the PM function my student

;)

19. Ewan-Kenobi

Oct 21, 2000
    My mum got me an R2 one that chirps, but I'd like an Obi one. ;)

20. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    Tiershon Fett, hello! :) Thanks for your thoughtful post.

That's an interesting idea. I never really looked at the "In my experience there is no such thing as luck" in that way. I just looked at it as a philosophical outlook. When I gave some thought to it(in my later years as when I was 9 or 10 I didn't give it much more thought ;) ), because in a way he's right, there isn't any such thing as luck. What seems like good "luck" in the short run can turn out to be negative in the long term and what seems like bad "luck" can in the end turn out to bring about positive results. And what is good luck or bad luck for you could be the opposite for someone else. For the most part you have to "make your own luck" as the saying goes. At least that was how I took it.

But I am sure you are right that going through the events of EP II and III will definitely be a trial for Obi-Wan Kenobi and will certainly affect his outlook one way or another.

21. royalguard96

Aug 13, 2001
    Welcome back naw! Hope you had a nice Christmas :)

When I think of Obi-Wan in Ep3, I see almost a tragic type of figure. He has to cope with some type of failure, and doing something he wished he didn't have to do - fight Anakin. He still cares for his student, but recognizes his own shortcomings.

"I thought I could instruct him just as well as Yoda. I was wrong."

Big statement right there....

22. Ewan-Kenobi

Oct 21, 2000
  23. royalguard96

Aug 13, 2001
    Umm.....up??

This is a good thread people! With that in mind, I pose this question:

What will we see from Obi-Wan as Ep3 concludes? What are his actions, his emotions, etc. Speculate?

24. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    I think he will be sad, and aged, on Tatooine, walking into the desert during a sandstorm until he dissapears. Or he looks sadly over the Dune Sea, and slowly walks into his little house and then credits. I think his will be somewhat broken in spirit, and guilty. Think of how shamed and demoralized he'll be for taking on Anakin. He'll think he ruined all their lives, and his, too. Poor Ben..... *sniff*

25. Traders_Luck

Traders_Luck Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 7, 2001
    "I have always thought that somehow Yoda will teach Obi-Wan and Anakin the skill of disappearing after death by temporarily recreating the spirit of Qui-Gon and allowing for communication with him."

i dont think anikin had any knowledge of this "disappearing". to qoute ob1 in ANH:

"if u kill me i will become more powerful then u could ever imagine"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.