main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*OFFICIAL THREAD* Obi-Wan Kenobi Ep III Discussion Thread--Part 6

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by naw ibo, Dec 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    Sorry, I've been absent. It's hard to keep up two threads on a similar topic. :)

I like Tiershon's vision of the ending of EP III. I could see it happening like that.

Okay, do you guys think that, assuming Obi-Wan and Anakin have their fateful duel, this will be where Anakin perhaps comes to believe Obi-Wan is dead? OR do you think perhaps there is another meeting. Not a personal one, more like a final gasp of the supporters of the Old Republic against the Empire last battle and somehow this is where Vader comes to believe Obi-Wan has been killed?

2. Traders_Luck

Traders_Luck Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 7, 2001
    didnt anikin always know ob1 was alive?

"this has been a great day for the empire, it has seen the end of kenobi and soon...."(or something like that)

3. Darth_Nubian

Darth_Nubian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2000
    I'm really interested to see how retaining your identity after death is done, because I don't think Vader truly knows how up until after ESB. I say this because Vader really does look suprised when Obi-Wan disappears and he tells Palply that Obi-Wan can no longer help Luke in ESB.

My theory is that Obi-Wan, the two who know the secret to reappearing, bring back Anakin just to show allow Luke to see his father one last time. I think that would show forgiveness and gratefulness on the part of Obi-Wan. Forgiveness towards Anakin for his sins, and gratefulness towards Luke for saving his friend.

Comments?

4. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    Darth Nubian, I'd never thought of it like that but that's good. I've always been sort of like "We'll just have to assume Anakin could come back because he is the Chosen One, once he's dead, he doesn't need anyone to tell him how to do it" but that's a good idea AND a way to work in Qui-Gon's ghost in a manner which won't kill me.(Because I don't want to see QG just popping up on his own and having it be something he shows Yoda and/or Obi-Wan)

Okay someone has suggested elsewhere that YODA call up Qui-Gon's ghost for Obi-Wan and Anakin. Well I say, he can do it just for Obi-Wan. This would be sometime in EP III. This shows the audience the possibility of Jedi ghosts. Maybe they could stick some line about how a spirit can bring another spirit out into view. Then Yoda says to Obi-Wan something about(obviously I'm not even going to try to get close to real sounding dialogue) how it is said that it is possible for a Jedi to do this on their own if they are at one or at peace or whatever, however it could be brought about it. It would sound much better and easier to understand with real professional dialogue of course. The whole thing(aside from any conversation that might be had with Qui-Gon) wouldn't really involve more than a few lines of dialogue.

SO that would give us the explanation of Jedi ghosts, of Yoda and Obi-Wan's being able to do it "on their own" and of Anakin's appearing with Yoda and Obi-Wan at the end despite the fact that he hadn't technically hadn't had it explained to him previously(with his apparent surprise at Obi-Wan's disappearance on the Death Star).

5. Ewan-Kenobi

Ewan-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 21, 2000
  6. Traders_Luck

Aug 7, 2001
    i dont think its a matter of knowing how to do it

i think it happens when u achieve balance of the force (inside of u) then u will become "one with the force

qui-gon wasnt completely balanced

7. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Check out the "report" listed in this thread, talking about the following scenario: Padme committing suicide in front of Obi-Wan and Anakin.

The obvious questions for us Obi-Wan fans is, what role could he play in a scene like this? My first reaction is that Padme would do this to perhaps cover Obi-Wan as he takes the kids away. She makes the ultimate sacrifice to help her last trusted friend escape Anakin's wrath with her children (or child).

At this point, it's all pure speculation, but I thought it could be fun to talk about, how Obi-Wan could figure in such a climactic (and tragic) scene.

8. crystal417

crystal417 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2000
    I think that Padme's "Sucide" is nothing but rumor and will never happen.

Personally (being an Ami/Obi Shipper) I'd like to see at LEAST a really strong friendship between the two.

9. Kenobi217

Kenobi217 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2002
    Well, first of all, I'd like to say hello everyone, I'm a big Obi-Wan fan (the name and icon should have tipped you off :)), but I'm pretty new to these boards. I hope to hear some good conversations, debating, and theories in these threads.

To adress one of the questions posted by naw in the first post:

Where do you think Obi-Wan's relationship with Anakin will stand

Well, I believe that in the first parts of Episode III, Obi-Wan will definitley be able to tell that something's up. He'll know that there is a..I dunno how to put it, disturbance, within his padawan, but I doubt if he'll be able to completely predict his turn. I believe we'll see a more desperate (not completely desperate, just to a degree), tense and stressed side of Obi-Wan in Episode III. He'll still love his padawan, but I believe Anakin's hate for Obi-Wan will increase greatly in Episode III. The hate that I speak of will probably first start to develop in Episode II; If you've seen the Forbidden Love trailer, you probably remember towards the end where Anakin says "It's all Obi-Wan's fault! He's holding me back!" I believe this is where his hate will first be developed, while in Episode III it will grow to the point where Anakin will be pushed over the edge and to the Dark Side. And as Tiershon_Fett said in an earlier post, he'll become very guilty towards the end of Episode III, thinking that it was his fault that Anakin turned. Which brings me to my next point of discussion:

Anakin turning was QUI-GON'S fault

Qui-Gon knew that the boy was too old to be trained as a Jedi, but instead of complying with the rules, he decided he would train Anakin, against the council's wishes. Qui-Gon knew full and well that Anakin's future was clouded, and that he had much fear in him, but Qui was too obssesed with Anakin's midichlorian level, and how talented with the force he was. I guess Qui-Gon never stopped and thought about what would happen if such a powerful force user were to go to the dark side, and in the end, pretty much the whole Jedi order payed for his mistake.

And finally, my last point, more of a debatable question - How do you think the make-up will show Obi-Wan in Episode III? It's still going to be McGregor playing him, so they will have to do something to change his appearance. What I see is a fuller beard on Obi-Wan, a little less hair around the shoulder area, and a little bit of grey at the edges of the hairs on his face and head. What do you guys think about this?

Phew, that was a long rant. Probably the longest I've ever posted on here. Hope you guys enjoyed it, if you didn't fall asleep while you read it :D.

10. Traders_Luck

Aug 7, 2001
    i dont think ob1 will look any different in e3 than in e2

11. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    Kenobi217, thank you so much for posting. Never apologize for a long ranting post on an Obi-Wan thread(at least so long as it doesn't involved calling Obi-Wan nasty names ;) ).

Thanks for answering one of my questions. I think you are most likely right, Obi-Wan will feel something isn't right, something is somehow out of place but he won't be able to figure out what or how to fix it. He may think it has something to do with the events which happen on Geonosis.

OR it may go completely the opposite. Anakin may suddenly turn into a seemingly model Jedi, but it's all an act as he's really married and sneaking around and possibly doing other things as well. Then it will seem like a sudden change and he will realize that Anakin has been untruthful all this time.

Blaming Qui-Gon? Ahhh, an individual after my own heart. ::sniff::

Trader's Luck, I think you too may be correct, that the disappearing thing has to do with balance within yourself. I believe in some eastern religion it is believed that the physical body will literally disappear when you have reached a certain transcendental state. This still fits in with the basic idea I posted above. Yoda explains that this can be done on one's own and that is how it can be achieved, by balance within one's self.

I don't think Obi-Wan needs to look any different but I think he might. But only the hair really. I think the beard will probably be about the same. I don't see any need for changing his hair color at all. He's probably only going to be a couple of years older, so there is no need for whitening it up. They may though.

12. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    Does anybody else think Ewan should have one under his robes in Episode 3, the way Alec Guiness did in the OT?

13. Ewan-Kenobi

Oct 21, 2000
    One what under his robes? [face_plain]

14. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    Brown turtle neck, sorry, i started a thread on it and I guess I forgot to copy that over when i moved it to this one.

woops

15. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    LOL, yeah, it sounded a little... weird... :p

I expect to see a great performance from Ewan in Ep.III, especially in the last battle when Anakin falls to the lava pit. Heck, Obi-Wan loses his apprentice there, he loses the Chosen One!

I don't think that his appearance will change much. Maybe he could get the ANH hairstyle, maybe a few gray hair, but not much - it's just a few years after AOTC. And the brown turtle neck - naw, I don't really like the idea. It suits old Ben on Tatooine, but not General Kenobi in the Clone Wars. ;)

16. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    Anakin's ghost had one too, in RotJ.

17. Obi-Gon_Jinnobi

Obi-Gon_Jinnobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 16, 2001
    Naughty....

Qui-Gon was right! He is right!

You want Obi-Wan to be blameless...

It ain't workin!

18. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    I don't know about the turtleneck. Although actually that COULD fit with a wartime look. The robes themselves would be like the ones they wear now(without that undertunic)shorter than the ANH ones but the turtleneck might fight with a slightly more militaristic look.

Ewan actually looks good in turtlenecks but anyway that really isn't relevant. LOL!

19. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    naw, you think Ewan looks good in anything :p

20. DARTH-SINISTAR

DARTH-SINISTAR Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2002
    It isn't anyones fault that Anakin turned to the Dark Side because it is his destiny as the chosen one, and the one who will bring balance to the force, to turn and destroy the Jedi Order. Then he fulfils his destiny by destroying the Sith Order once and for all.

21. Obi-Gon_Jinnobi

Obi-Gon_Jinnobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 16, 2001
    Yoda deserves a spanking!

22. Ewan-Kenobi

Oct 21, 2000
    *hits Qui-Gon over the head with a club and holds him over a pit*

I...have had...enough of....YOU!

*throws him down the pit*

GOTCHA SUCKA!

I don't think it was Anakin's destiny, he was weak and he chose evil. It's his own fault.

23. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    LOL! Whoa! I didn't think you'd go that far, E-K. I like it. ;)

Seriously though, I do not believe Lucas is doing this whole story to teach us that Anakin had no control over the road he took to reach his destination. Anakin had choices, he could have chosen the more difficult but ultimately better road of the Force or he could choose the quicker, easier but more selfish and self serving and ultimately cause of more suffering, dark side of the Force.

I forgot to answer Kenobi217's question about Obi-Wan's appearance in EP III. :) I think they might put a little grey in, but I don't think they should. The guy is only going to be a couple of years older than AOTC. But I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't sprinkle a little white in his hair and beard.

So long as he gets to swing that lightsaber in that awesome, stylish manner he has I'll have something to be happy about. :D

24. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    Famous ROTJ line which involves events in Ep III:

"Obi-Wan once thought as you do..."

This of course happens when Luke is saying he believes there is still good in him.

Now considering what we know from some of the dialogue of AOTC and Obi-Wan's view on Anakin's attitude, etc(reckless, somewhat arrogant, doesn't take direction well) and that he is already questioning whether or not training Anakin as a Jedi was really the best course of action, not to mention having seen what happens during the duel with Dooku--why would Obi-Wan think that? Why would he believe he could still be convinced not to turn in EP III? What kind of thought and emotional processes do you think are going on?

25. MR-BADMAN

MR-BADMAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2002
    Darth Sinistar hit the button right with his nail, it is all pre-ordained and the final scene in EpIII will involve Obi-Wan having the opportunity to strike down the Anivaderkin thing, but he resists because he see's that the prophecy must be fulfilled.
    The only Jedi with enough midi-chlorians to go against the emperor is obviosuly Anakin (its higher than Master Yoda for Georges sake) and so they have to make this sacrifice to finally wipe the Sith out of existence.Anakin can't beat him face on, the dudes to well protected so in a way Anakin voluteers himself for a life of slavery and torment because the end will justify the means.
    That might be why GL says we would all feel sorry for Vader when we re-watch ANH, ESB and ROTJ after the first three are made and viewed.
    p.s. I think I have worked out what they MUST call EpIII. It will make everything fit together.
    I am going to place a bet at the bookies.
    Has there been a thread with this speculation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.