main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*OFFICIAL THREAD* Obi-Wan Kenobi Ep III Discussion Thread--Part 6

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by naw ibo, Dec 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. servigon

servigon Jedi Youngling

Dec 11, 2000
    You have a good point, maybe the jedi "volunteered" Anakin to destroy the sith from within and then oops, he never came back. On the other hand, I prefer the idea that Anakin is just a bad apple. I think Obi-Wan is the only thing he'll still respect after all. In episode III, while he's on a jedi killing rampage, Anakin will be like "...the only thing I actually regret is the whole Obi-Wan thing, I hope I don´t come across him...". I mean, Vader mentions Kenobi all the time. Obi-Wan is here, Obi-Wan has taught you well, Obi-Wan once thought as you do, etc, etc. If that ain't respect...

By the way, who's Obi-Wan's brother. I know it´s not Owen but the official site indicates he does have a brother indeed. Will it be the next big surprise?

2. Jedi_Dan

Jedi_Dan Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 30, 1998
    I understand why they make it a point to say that Owen is not Obi-wan's brother, but in the same sentence they make a point to say he does however have a brother? hmmm....must be somewhat important methinks...

3. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    They only mention that because in the Jedi Apprentice book(number 3 I think) they mention he remembers a brother, but in reality in both the TPM novelization and The Approaching Storm, Obi-Wan has no memory whatsoever of any family and almost never even wonders about them. His feelings in that area seem to be entirely directed towards the Jedi. Basically when it comes to this mysterious brother, they don't know what to do because for so long he had one and it was mentioned so often that they are kind of stuck.

But anyway, what about Ep III and just what it is that makes Obi-Wan believe or at least want to believe that Anakin can be turned back like Luke does in ROTJ?

4. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    naw ibo asked: But anyway, what about Ep III and just what it is that makes Obi-Wan believe or at least want to believe that Anakin can be turned back like Luke does in ROTJ?

Obi-Wan probably felt that Anakin was tricked or manipulated in to going to the dark side. Maybe he believed that if Anakin were shown the truth then he would return to the light.

For whatever reason Anakin turned, he probably decided that he really liked the dark side. On the surface, he likely thought he had more power and more freedom, it was only later when it was too late to change his mind, he discovered he was a slave to the dark side.

5. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    Thanks for visiting this humble little thread, RRK. :) I could see that playing out.

Today's the big day, AUP: TLTW. I'm saving it until a little later, gives me something to look forward after my regular posting. :D

6. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    Bringing this up because now that we know so much about AOTC it's a little easier to speculate on EP III than it was a couple of months ago. :)

So my question is, where do you think Obi-Wan will be early in EP III?

Throughout most of the drafts of the Star Wars scripts one of Obi-Wan's greatest achievements was apparently saving the planet of Alderaan, probably during the Clone Wars. Don't know if this or anything like it will actually happen in EP III BUT if it does, I think it may happen early on. Perhaps we will only see the final battle of the war we've seen start in AOTC and perhaps Alderaan will be at the center of it.

7. jedi-girl

jedi-girl Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2000
    you know that would be really cool - if Epi3 begins immediately to Obi-wan in the middle of this battle to save Alderaan.

Didn't you say before, naw, about a rumor somewhere taht Bail Organa has to betray Obi-wan but in doing so they both know it is the only way they can save Alderaan. I wonder if Obi-wan will be wear a different-style Jedi costume, maybe something a little more streamlined as a general in a war-time situation.

8. OB1KNOB

OB1KNOB Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 15, 2000
    There are so many things that will have to happen in Ep.III, Anakin will have to turn,Obi-Wan will have to fight him, somehow it will have to be at least partially explained why Obi takes one of the twins to Owen Lars-since so far at least, he hasn't even met him, and I suppose we will need to find out why C3PO has such a poor memory.

9. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    I was thinking, in regards to the possible duel between Obi-Wan and Anakin in EP III, who will be going to whom.

Now, I've always assumed, Obi-Wan would go to Anakin. But I guess if one was to really try and mirror the OT, Anakin would actually be going to Obi-Wan as Luke went to him, for a different reason obviously. Does anyone have any ideas how that could happen? Maybe Anakin goes to whereever Obi-Wan is on Palpatine's urging(and I'm sure twisting of certain facts), to get rid of him?

10. Jovieve

Jovieve Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    Don't know Naw.

If the Jedi are decimated and/or discredited by Palpatine. He could easily make all the best Jedi 'Public Enemies 'and Palpatine could easily turn to his newest torpedo - punk apprentice Anakin - and send him to hunt down the best and bring them in - dead or alive. Dead preferably.

My feeling, considering the look Anakin gave Mace in TPM when Mace told Master Callous Qui-Gon that Anakin would NOT be trained, is that Mace will not go down 'like a punk' shot in the back by a droid, but will go down by the 'One'. Obi-Wan will prove much more difficult to kill.

11. CYNICAL21

CYNICAL21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    I agree completely with the notion that it will be Anakin who takes out Mace Windu - in the spirit of payback that will obviously come to dominate the life of the Chosen One more and more as time goes on. It seems to me that, by the end of Ep.III, Anakin's entire focus will be on punishing those he perceives as having wronged him.

And that may also account for why he would go after Obi-Wan, Naw. Or perhaps it's a combination of things. If Obi-WAn should attempt to confront Palpy, it's to be expected that the little toad would step in to protect his Dark lord. We KNOW how loyal he is, after all. [face_mischief]

12. Ewan-Kenobi

Ewan-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 21, 2000
    I don't think Obi-Wan will discover Palpatine. I think Anakin will be the one, it will be revealed to him I believe. When he's turned. That he'll rush to face the Sith maybe out of fear of losing Padme.

I don't know where this 'saved Alderaan' stuff came from...

13. Verry

Verry Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 27, 2002
    About Anakin coming to Obi-Wan, speculation.

When you look into the mirror, everything is backwards, So, mirroring the OT would mean Obi-Won coming to Anakin.

14. Lord_Sidious

Lord_Sidious Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 14, 2001
    My guess is that it will be OB1 that confronts Anakin. Just like the death of Shmi started Anakin's path to the darkside, some other event will push Anakin completely to the darkside. Whether it be the death or loss of Padme, his hatred and victory over Dooku, or another tragic event or combination of events; Anakin will use the power of the darkside and like it. The council will see or feel this and consider him lost. OB1 will still feel the good in him and confront him. Anakin will reject what his master tells him and eventually engage him in battle and get severely injured. This is where I think Palpatine comes in and offers to make him his apprentice.

Whoops! I got into a little too much speculation there. I guess I just think that it will be OB1 that confronts Anakin because he would feel sympathetic toward him and his tragic experiences. He still considers Anakin his good friend and doesn't want to give up on him. Also, it could be an attempt to make ammends for what he feels is his failure in the training of Anakin.

15. Lord_Wrath

Lord_Wrath Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2002
    Obiwan should get into a couple of SICK fights. He is the most pivotal Jedi after all - even after death. Yes he is and GL will prove it in EpIII.

May the Force be with you ObiWan!

16. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    Good ideas, everyone. I've always thought that Obi-Wan will be the one to go to Anakin/Vader but the possibility of it being the other way around hadn't been mentioned much, so I thought I'd throw it out there to see what people thought.

I don't know where this 'saved Alderaan' stuff came from...

E-K, it comes from the ANH Radio Play in which Bail and Leia have a discussion about Obi-Wan and his role in the "saving" Alderaan many years before was discussed. So that's always been a possibility for some part of Obi-Wan's role in EP III.

It would also be a nice way to connect Bail Organa to Obi-Wan, considering Leia's message to him on Ep IV. Obviously it isn't necessary. It would be enough for them to simply be on the same side and perhaps have Organa give an order somewhere to show it. But it might give the story more dramatic possibilities if the Obi-Wan and Bail really had a close connection like that. I've always kind of liked the idea of showing Obi-Wan and Bail to develop a friendship of some sort. Actually after seeing Dexter in EP II, it makes me want it more. It would nice to see a little of the warmth and friendly spirit shown in that scene transferred to another important player.

I don't know that Lucas would have the time to show anykind of friendship develop between them, as there is alot of more important stuff to show, but it might be nice.

17. clark1016

clark1016 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2001
    Did the ANH radio play come from Lucas or did someone else take the liberty of expanding on the story?

I would love to see Ep. 3 open with Obi-Wan saving Alderaan, because it would open some great possibilities:

1.) I think his master being a bona fide hero would stir up a bit of jealousy in Anakin.

2.) It would create an instant connection between Bail and Obi-Wan that desperately needs to be established. Perhaps it won't be Padme's idea to give Leia to Bail, but Obi-Wan's.

18. Ewan-Kenobi

Ewan-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 21, 2000
    Saving the planet sounds like a pretty tall order, but it'd be cool. :p

I mean it took all of TPM for them to save that planet. ;)

19. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    I don't know if Lucas wrote it completely, but I do know he was VERY involved in the Radio Plays. I do believe Obi-Wan helping to save Alderaan was in fact something to come from him.

1.) I think his master being a bona fide hero would stir up a bit of jealousy in Anakin.

That could be. I've always liked the idea of Anakin's being jealous of Obi-Wan(but NOT over Padme) and considering Anakin's seeming need to feel superior to Obi-Wan it would fit. Because it would show an increasing number of areas in which he feels the need to top him.

Well, heck Obi-Wan has to be doing something in EP III, why not have it be on Alderaan. :) I don't think they'd need a whole film for it, maybe half. The film is supposed to "reduce in size" as it goes on, so having the first part as the big battle part kind of makes sense. Really all he has to do is come up with some clever plan or something and execute it. It didn't take a whole film to actually battle for Naboo, it wouldn't take a whole film to battle for Alderaan, probably only a quarter to a third.

But it's all speculation and I'm sure Lucas has something else in mind by now. I just think it would be kind of cool, we'd get to see the planet where Leia eventually grows up and which gets blown up in ANH. This would give us a greater emotional connection to it and it would also give a little added significance to it's destruction for Obi-Wan. He'd help save it once and now when he was going back there it was obliterated along with all most of it's people.

20. Jovieve

May 19, 2002
    I posted this rumor on the Obi-Wan thread in AOTC board, but it disappeared into cyberspace - what's up with that? - so I'm trying here to see if it will post...

I heard a horrible rumor. Anakin will be blackmailed into the Dark Side on the pain of Padme's death to undermine and destroy the Jedi Order in some fashion. Obi-Wan catches wind of this and wondering what's wrong with his Padawan, seeks to stop him and inadvertently becomes responsible for Padme's death. The 'twist' being in the PT that you now look at Anakin as Vader in OT as a sympathetic character.

Why do these rumors always want to make Obi-Wan look like a bumbler and fool and Anakin as the tortured soul? I really detested this rumor.

I always thought Anakin was jealous of Obi-Wan. He seems to think he is better in 'lot of ways' but what he doesn't have and he knows he doesn't is Obi-Wan's calm coolness and the high esteem everyone else has for his Master. Everyone in AOTC talks of how 'highly' Obi-Wan is thought of, even Dooku mentions it. Anakin does, but only in a left-handed kind of way "Oh he's great and all BUT..."

21. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    Jovieve, where did you hear that? That sounds more like someone's baseless speculations than an actual rumor. I HOPE! But you see, that's just my concern, Obi-Wan the bumbling idiot and "poor widdle Ani he was just forced into it". I don't think Lucas is going that way, at least it doesn't seem that way. He seems to seriously be trying to show how one's own choices and flaws can cause one to take such a path, a little at a time. I also have to think that Padme spends some amount of time alive after Anakin turns, so that way Leia can remember her.

But seriously, as I said in the earlier post, I don't want Obi-Wan to suddenly just do something really stupid to explain this. Lucas likes to use Obi-Wan to fill his plotholes and this could be one of them.

PS: If stuff isn't posting on the other thread right now, stop trying. They might show up in a couple of hours and then you'll have multiple posts. That's what always happens to me. :) I checked your posted messages and your new post shows up in the thread if you click on it there, for some reason it just isn't showing up right now through the thread.

22. Jovieve

May 19, 2002
    Thanks for watching my back, Naw! :)

My post took forever to appear on the thread. I put it in around midnight my time, by 9 am the next day it still hadn't posted on the thread so I could see it. I checked again around 5:30 pm and it was finally there. Jeez.

Almost everytime I post after 12 midnight my time (cst), I get error messages - tonight's been pretty good - Sometimes I just go reading around the website, come back to the thread and it's there, sometimes, it's not there until the next morning. This was the first time it hadn't posted until later than the morning.

Anywho, sorry I scared you, bad choice of words on my part. It was not a 'rumor', it WAS someone's speculation. Hopefully GL won't get any ideas.

23. Jovieve

May 19, 2002
  24. Fettmaster275

Fettmaster275 Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2002
    I bet we'll see a scene in Episode 3 where obi-wan talks with qui-gons ghost, and i bet obi-wan will be confussed/upset at this time. I bet obi-wan will be dissapointed at himself in episode 3 for failing to train anakin, and failing qui-gon, his old master. I bet they'll be a scene in a desolate place (mabye tatooine where anakin killed the tuskens) where obi-wan becomes very sad and upset with himself, where he'll blame himself for anakins fall, and will ask for apology from qui-gon. Qui-gon will appear and tell obi-wan that its not his fault, and that anakin was destned to turn to the darkside. He probably will be asked about what dooku said, and will explain it. the music from the scene in ROTJ, where luke is burning vader will probably be played durnig this. I bet you obi-wan will be very distressed in the movie, and very upset at himself, blaming himslef for anakins turn. All i know is that i hope there is a scene where him and qui-gon talk.... any thoughts?

25. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    Well, I know I don't want Qui-Gon showing up anywhere near the fight between the Obi-Wan and Anakin. If we are forced to endure his ghost then something like that might be good, fettmaster. I'd like to see him ease Obi-Wan's conscience a little but ultimately I don't want him involved too much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.