main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive *Official Thread* October 2005 - Fan Art Challenge(IT'S BACK!)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by HanSolo29 , Oct 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    First of all, I apologize for stopping this for the past 2 months. I got into a slump and things got a bit hectic with school starting and all. But now that I'm back into my routine, I'm gonna go ahead and start these back up. :)

It's that time again. The start of a new month, the start of a new Fan Art Challenge. Each month we will post up four topics on different themes that people can choose from. You can submit drawings, paintings, posters, collage, photo-manipulation... whatever you're inspired to do.

Here are the previous Fan Art Challenges:

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/post.asp?edit=20685471][b]July 2005[/b][/link]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Fan_Art/b10020/20191289/p1/][b]June 2005[/b][/link]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=19040547&replies=28][b]April 2005[/b][/link]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Fan_Art/b10020/18602969/?52][b]March 2005[/b][/link]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Fan_Art/b10020/18245907/p1/][b]February 2005[/b][/link]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Fan_Art/b10020/17929558/?73][b]January 2005[/b][/link]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Fan_Art/b10020/17519603/?159][b]December 2004[/b][/link]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Fan_Art/b10020/17122967/?56][b]October 2004[/b][/link]

This is [b]not[/b] a contest, and everyone is welcome to post responses to this thread, regardless of whether you've ever posted anything in this forum. Please don't be nervous or discouraged, because all of us would love to see your fanart!

Here are the topics for October:

[color=orange][hl=black][b]OCTOBER FAN ART CHALLENGE:[/color][/hl][/b]

[i][b]Characters:[/b][/i] Luke Skywalker[b] or [/b]Count Dooku
    [i][b]Scene:[/b][/i] Death Star Trench Run(ANH) [b]or[/b] Anakin and Padme's Wedding(AOTC)
    [i][b]Thing:[/i][/b] draw any SW character, ship or scene in the style of the old Science Fiction movie posters([link=http://www.arch-photo.com/IMAGES1/VOL2PG28.jpg]Example[/link])
    [i][b]Fun:[/i][/b] A Halloween scene featuring something from the SW Universe

[hr]

[b][color=midnightblue]The Usual Few Notes:[/color][/b]

-Please post your images in this thread so we can have them all collected in one area, but of course you're also allowed to post them in your own artwork threads.

-You can submit fanart for one topic, or do all of them. It is up to you.

-Comments for everyone's artwork should also be posted in this thread. Even if you're not participating yourself, your comments are more than welcome.

-If you have suggestions for future topics, please PM them to me or post them in the Artist's Lounge Social Thread.

[hr]

That's it. I'm looking forward to seeing lots of great artwork and hopefully we'll see some amazing pieces. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post 'em here.

The deadline for this challenge is [b]October 31st[/b].

2. Omnis

Omnis Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2005
    Awesome. My tablet should be in in a few days (don't know what's taking so long), so i'll get on it asap.

3. SkyWookiee

SkyWookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2003
    And I've painted Luke this month - Luke

4. Amiry

Amiry Jedi Master star 2

Feb 29, 2004
    I'm so glad to see the Fan Art Challenge back up! It really helps in a time of artist's block. I must get sketching! :D

5. Amiry

Amiry Jedi Master star 2

Feb 29, 2004
    Well, now that I've stayed up all night drawing it, I may as well post it. :)
    Jedi Master Luke Skywalker, NJO-era.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/amiry/Art/masterskywalker.jpg]

6. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Nice painting of young Luke, SkyWookiee.

Amiry, I love your rendering of the Jedi Master. Very sweet.

I did a picture of Luke a few weeks ago, but I am now inspired to do another one. He is the one I did last month:
    Luke Meditating

;)

AG88

7. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    [face_laugh] I can see Luke is going to be a popular subject... cool entries so far, too! To add to the Luke pics, I have another.

a dreaming Luke

8. Bamboleo

Bamboleo Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2005
    GUESS WHAT!!!!!!! It's Luke again :)

Lukey!

9. Omnis

Jun 1, 2005
    Awesome job! I feel the same way about digital painting. So easy and clean.

+fav on dA.

10. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004

Bamboleo, that is an absolutely beautiful painting of Luke. You are a wonderful artists!

Bravo! =D=

AG88

11. SkyWookiee

Jul 26, 2003
    Bamboleo you're on JC!

12. dashleebo

dashleebo Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 18, 2003
    Bamboleo ... WOW. That's some mighty fine digital painting there. So realistic too. :cool:

The hair is amazing.

13. Bamboleo

Bamboleo Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2005
    omnis !!!! I know I thanked you on devart but here's a ((hug)) and a second thank you! :)

AG88, thank you so much! that means A LOT coming from you, the professor of luke love!!!!! hehe

skywookiee! I'm on JC? what does that mean? hehehe!!!! I hope its good. I'm blond you have to explain everything to me slowly and maybe twice.

Thank you so much dashleebo. The hair drove me crazy but I'm glad it came out as well as it did in the end hehehe! :) :)

14. Mrs_Luke_Skywalker

Mrs_Luke_Skywalker Jedi Youngling

Oct 4, 2005
    Hi! I'm not an artist - just a fan lurker popping in to say that October is going to be a VERY good month!! [face_blush]

SkyWookie ? Love the Farmboy pic. [face_love]

Amiry ? Very nice Master Jedi there. :cool:

Academygrad88 - Whoa! That?s entirely too accurate. [face_mischief] ;)

ShrunkenJedi - Love the hair. ;)

Bamboleo - :eek: That is SO going on my bedroom wall! =P~ [:D] :*

15. SkyWookiee

Jul 26, 2003
    Bamboleo - I mean I met you on DA.

16. Bamboleo

Bamboleo Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2005
    Ooooooooh skywookiee! see told you I'm slow. We both have the same usernames for both sites! :) :)

17. Amiry

Amiry Jedi Master star 2

Feb 29, 2004
    Bamboleo, that is awesome! I'm faving it on DA.

Thanks for the compliment, Mrs_Luke_Skywalker! :B

18. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Glad to see this take off like it did! Keep up the great work, everyone! :D

[b]SkyWookiee:[/b] Excellent monochromatic study. It has a nice Van Gogh style going for it which I think helps it along. If this is the style you were going for, then ignore this next part, but maybe you could refine some of his features a bit more. Some of his features are getting lost in the milkiness of his skin texture, but like I said, perhaps that is what you were going for. ;) Great job overall!

[b]Amiry:[/b] Ooo...a different take on Luke - an older Luke. I love how we're getting a wide range of interpretations here. I think you managed to his likeness fairly well and I also love how you've done the rendering of his robes. They do appear a bit sketchy where you can see the pencil strokes you used to color them in, but that's a very simple thing to fix. Overall, I love the pose and a well done drawing! :D

[b]academygrad88:[/b] And there's that meditating Luke again. Once again, great job with that one! :D

[b]ShrunkenJedi:[/b] Wow, you can really get lost in that piece. I really like how you left the majority of the background undefined(except that moon/planet?) and then just begin to hint at Luke's features. The style in which you drew him in reminds me of a particular children's book, but for the life of me, I can't remember the name. :p Great job! :)

[b]Bamboleo:[/b] *jaw drops* Holy crap, Bee! That is amazing! When I first clicked on the link, I thought it was a photograph but then I realized you painted that! Absolutely amazing! What program did you use to render that? I'm interested in getting into the digital painting field myself.

The only words of criticism I have about this piece is the hands. They appear to be in an awkward position and I really have to struggle to make them make sense. Then again, maybe it's the lighting at play here, but just something to take a look at. ;)

19. Omnis

Jun 1, 2005
    Here's a rinky dink Dooku sketch.

[image=http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/5654/dooku3wx.jpg]

meh.

20. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh I just had to come in and compliment everyone on the fabulous entries for the challenge so far! It does seem, does it not, Mme. Moderator, that Luke is the runaway favorite of all the subjects? ;) :D

And btw Omnis--I think that's a superb rendering of the good Count--I love "sketchy" sketches, and you've definitely captured his regal bearing and his likeness here--wonderful!

FF

21. Vanyoda

Vanyoda Jedi Master star 1

Sep 13, 2004
    Thanks for bringing back the Fan Art Challenge
    HanSolo29. Wonderful entries everyone, I've always
    enjoyed doing holiday themed photoshop pieces,so
    here is a Yoda Halloween desktop that I just
    finished. 1024 X 768 resolution.

[image=http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/9775/sorcereryoda6ln.jpg]

22. Anakin_Skywalker20

Anakin_Skywalker20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 16, 2000
    Thats awsome Van!! :) Kinda spooky too. ;) hehe

23. academygrad88

Apr 6, 2004
    Vanyoda, that is awesome!!! Tomorrow I need to show that to my young sons. They love Yoda and Halloween. Great job!!

AG88

24. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    Wonderful works everyone! :) So many wonderful portrayals of Luke! Gah I'm so envious!!!! Thanks so much HanSolo for bringing this back...it's such a wonderful place for everyone to show their talent! I'll have to try to get something up here before the due date. Definitely won't be Luke (can't draw him for the life of me) but maybe a trench run pic? Any excuse for a pilot of course. LOL ;)

On another note the whole concept of Halloween is weird to me, being an Australian we don't really celebrate it. Looks like fun though, running around in a costume trying to get candy from strangers. :D

25. JBRO13

JBRO13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 29, 2003
    It didn't say we could do a 50s-style Star Wars poster...but it didn't say we COULDN'T, either.

Here's my contribution.

The Phantom Empire was an actual b-movie way back when. I used the title (for obvious reasons) and the lightning bolts, but everything else I tossed in.

The pictures were all "posterized" and then had the "brush strokes" effect put on them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.