main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*OFFICIAL THREAD* Padmé's death and Leia's memories

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by GLucasUSC, Nov 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLucasUSC

GLucasUSC Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2002
    Leia need not be 3 or 4 to remember her mother. Padme can and probably will still die at the end of Episode III. Leia's strong with the force remember. If the force can enable one to see the future and have intuitive feelings of people then all Leia needs is to be in contact with her mother at birth.

Think of it. Luke is born first, is quickly taken away by Obi-Wan. Leia is born and Padme hangs on to her for just a little while because she is herself dying from complications during childbirth. This intimate contact that she shares with Leia (that Luke never received) is what makes Leia able to remember her vaguely. So there we have it. Luke and Leia seperated at birth, Leia's contact with Padme, Padme's death thereafter. Voila. Otherwise there is not sufficient resolution for padmes character in the saga. We would be left wondering in Ep 4 and 5 where the hell she went.

[b]Changed the title a little bit.[/b]

2. Soccer_Hooligan

Soccer_Hooligan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 25, 2002
    This is cool. It goes with the "just feelings, really" line.

3. ShadowJedi05

ShadowJedi05 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2002
    Leia: "Just images really, feelings"
    Luke: "Tell me"
    Leia: "She was very beautiful, kind... but sad" -Return of the Jedi

Padme can't die in III, otherwise Leia would not be able to remember images such as the fact that she was beautiful.

4. GLucasUSC

GLucasUSC Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2002
    Do I need to repeat myself? She has Jedi intuition. How can she remember that her mom was even sad then? She does. How can Luke see his friends are in pain on Cloud City? He's not there. I don't know which Star Wars movies you've been watching but the ones the rest of us have been watching deal heavily with THE FORCE. Try using it sometime.

5. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
  6. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    Keep it civil.

7. ShadowJedi05

Nov 5, 2002
    Excuse me, but last I checked I was allowed to post my own opinions since this is a discussion. So sue me for having a different opinion from yours, that doesn't make it wrong or right, nor does it make you any more right or wrong than I am. We won't know for sure until GL releases Ep III, but I was making an observation based on very simple scientific knowledge.

And for that matter, your definition of Jedi intuition refers only to feelings, emotions whereas Leia specifically mentions images of her mother being beautiful which is not an emotion. I'm sorry if I went by the actual movie and what one of the main characters actually says but there's no reason for you to get all pissy about it because I disagreed.

8. GLucasUSC

GLucasUSC Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2002
    Luke keeps SEEING his friends in pain. The force is all about pre-VISUAL perception among other things. I merely point these things out because your interpretation of dialogue seems fairly narrow. And if scientific reasoning is what governs your interpretaqtions then HELLO...the force? Scientifically explain that one.

9. chrischris716

chrischris716 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 3, 2002
    you can feel if someone is sad, but you can't feel if someone is beautiful. beauty is in the eye of the beholder, which would involve leia seeing her mother and remembering her which would mean that padme would have probably died when leia was three or older.

luke saw the future not the past. if he saw the past, he would have seen his father as darth vader or something along those lines...

10. GLucasUSC

GLucasUSC Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2002
    Beautiful doesnt just mean "Shes hot she looks like Natalie Portman". Can't people be generally beautiful? A beautiful person? A beautiful presence? If you nuts are so cracked up on Leia commenting on how hot her mom was, then yeah you may be right. But Leia could then feel how beautiful a person her mother was.

11. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
    Okay, this thread is definately going to be closed, and GLucasUSC, you're going to get reprimanded for sure.

12. ShadowJedi05

Nov 5, 2002
    Narrow? How so? I merely go by what a main character in canon material explicitly states which is that her mother died when she was very young and that she remembered images.

As for science, I never once professed to be able to scientifically explain the entire SW universe nor do I desire to. Nor did I say they governed my interpretations, you are twisting my words. In this case, yes, science and canon dialogue coincide but they don't always, which is fine by me. It's SW, a fantasy universe, our science doesn't have to coincide with it.

you can feel if someone is sad, but you can't feel if someone is beautiful. beauty is in the eye of the beholder, which would involve leia seeing her mother.

luke saw the future not the past. if he saw the past, he would have seen his father as darth vader or something along those lines...

Thank you. :)

13. chrischris716

Apr 3, 2002
    you're welcome

14. GLucasUSC

GLucasUSC Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2002
    You guys aren't big on being intellectually challenged here. Heck its not much of an intellectual challenge, its just a movie last I checked. But that was only last I checked.

15. ShadowJedi05

Nov 5, 2002
    not big on being intellectually challenged? I fail to see what this has to do with being intellectually challenged... however, since you brought it up... I have no problem with being intellectually challenged, I love to be challenged mentally actually, otherwise I would not be attending a top University and in the engineering program there, but that's beside the point.

Yes, it is a movie. A great series of movies. But that's not the point either. You are the one who brought up the topic, we merely disagreed and you now stoop to insulting us for no valid reason that I can see other than to be argumentative. I just fail to see how this is an "intellectually challenging" topic, as you put it, since Leia has already stated in RotJ that she remembers her mother.

16. chrischris716

Apr 3, 2002
    excuse me...leia recalled seeing images of the past. Since when did the jedi have the ability to see the past, especially before or around the time that they were born? If you do not believe me, believe George Lucas. Here is the databank file on Leia concerning Padme:

The Jedi hero and general, Obi-Wan Kenobi, secretly transported Leia and her mother to the planet Alderaan, where she was to be raised by Kenobi's friend Bail Organa. The boy, Luke, was taken to the distant world of Tatooine. Leia has few memories of her true mother, Padmé Amidala. All that Leia can recall is that she was beautiful, but sad.

Memories. Not visions. mem·o·ries :
    The mental faculty of retaining and recalling past experience. Hence, she had to spent some time with her mother in order to remember her.

17. GLucasUSC

GLucasUSC Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2002
    I'm simply saying she remembers her mother because she has MET her mother. True, it weas as a baby. But you know being strong with the force does wicked things for your sensory perception. It enhances feelings, forsight and though we dont know that it enhances memory, theres no proof that it doesnt. We learn knew things about these Jedi all the time (midiclorians). The advantage to my theory is it provides Padme with a nice clean exit and it justifies Leias memory.

18. ShadowJedi05

Nov 5, 2002
    Why does Padme need a "nice, clean exit" in Ep III? Leia has already stated that she died when she was very young. That's enough of a conclusion/exit for Padme. We know she dies a few years after going to Alderaan with Leia and that's all we need to know. All that is necessary for Padme at the end of Ep III is to go to Alderaan with Leia and live with Bail. We are told later that she died, nothing more is needed.

19. Loco_for_Lucas

Aug 15, 2002
    Yeah, what's cleaner than that?

20. GLucasUSC

GLucasUSC Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2002
    I disagree. A major character like Padme needs to be more clearly resolved. Somneone said it on some other post as well. Shes too important to just kind of segue into narrative oblivion only to be casually mentioned 3 movies later. Think of the next generations watching these movies. You have this prominent character for a whole trilogy, She dissapears entirely leaving you agonizing over "why the hell didnt lucas resolve her story?" until Leia is like "oh by the way..." Plus its a more tragic ending for episode 3.

21. GLucasUSC

GLucasUSC Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2002
    My predictions: Naboo will be entirely destroyed and Padme will die (not necesarily on the planet). WHY? Because Lucas knows his stuff. Lucas uses characters and locations to represent entire ideas in his movies. Naboo represents the Republic. With the Republics death will come Naboo's death. I have reason to believe Mace Windu will come to represent the accountability and naivete of the Jedi Order. He will be the only main Jedi character that dies in the holocaust. He will represent the fall of the Jedi (Since Kenobi, Yoda, Ani survive). More later.

22. ShadowJedi05

Nov 5, 2002
    So it's ok for Yoda, an arguably as important if not more important character, to just disappear to Dagobah for a movie and a half? Possibly never to be seen again as far as people watching all 6 movies in order know? I must say, I think it'd work fine.

Padme goes to Alderaan with infant Leia. People watching in order for first time: "Ok, she's on Alderaan"
    Opening of ANH; people: "Ok this is her daughter, if she's still alive she's probably on Alderaan."
    Alderaan blownup; people: "If she was still alive she's dead now."
    RotJ after Luke and Leia talk; people: "Oh, she died between movies, ok. This set was about her kids anyways and not about her"

23. weezyslob

weezyslob Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2002
    lol. Great reply, you make a good point. It's hard to argue around that.

24. chrischris716

Apr 3, 2002
    there will be a lot of things that will not be in the movie that books will have to clear up for us. why does padme have to die? we have no idea what yoda or obi-wan is doing while luke is growing up. not all of the jedi die in episode 3.

what is more tragic: dying while giving birth or dying of a broken heart or some illness, being separated not only from the man that you love but your son who is on another planet and your daughter who lives with another family and cannot fully communicate with you for the sake of your life and your children?

25. chrischris716

Apr 3, 2002
    good point, shadowjedi05

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.