main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*OFFICIAL THREAD* Padmé's death and Leia's memories

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by GLucasUSC, Nov 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLucasUSC

GLucasUSC Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2002
    No because Yoda will declare where he intends to go (Dagobah) with the understanding that he will porobably (and DOES) re-emerge later in the saga. Padme's death then becomes a sloppy guessing game over the course of three movies. Not an intriguing guessing game but a sloppy one. You're right, the next trilogy is about her kids, not her. All the more reason to more respectfully and specifically say goodbye to her character.

2. ShadowJedi05

ShadowJedi05 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2002
    Thank you.

3. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    Excellent point, shadow.

4. ShadowJedi05

Nov 5, 2002
    How is it a sloppy guessing game? Either she dies between movies or she dies when Alderaan blows up, either way she's dead less than half way into ANH. But this would not be the first set of movies to have a main character leave for whatever reason. This isn't about her, it's about Anakin, do we really need to know for a fact that she was slaughtered by Anakin or something in Ep III? No. Ep IV takes place 18 years later, if she is heartbroken at the end of III it should be more than obvious that she probably died soon after. Afterall, Leia only mentions a father all through ANH, it's pretty clear that she no longer has a mother.

5. GLucasUSC

GLucasUSC Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2002
    And I agree heartache can be integral to her death. It should be. What's more heartbreaking than having your two children ripped away from you at birth because they must be preserved for some future good? What's more heartbreaking than only having a few moments to get to know only ONE of your children and furthermore, only for a brief few moments because your own life is fleeting? What if you asked that baby girl who knows nothing, what if you asked her to remember you. Pleaded that she remember you even with as silly as it may sound? And you die and what if your pleads did have resonanse thanks to the force and she DID remember you? That's the stuff of drama friends. Not just a "Well we're off to alderaan! Who knows whats to happen next!? Weeeee!"

6. ShadowJedi05

Nov 5, 2002
    But we are told what happens next. Leia becomes a princess and senator and grows up as the daughter of Bail Organa. That is made clear at the beginning of ANH.

And how would Padme be able to influence Leia with the force? Padme isn't a Jedi, she can't use the force.

7. Savle_Sostas

Savle_Sostas Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 11, 2001
    I used to believe that Padme would meet her end in EPIII but a couple of weeks ago a quote from Sam Jackson appeared in the TFN news section in which he said Lucas had told him that Mace Windu is the most important character to be killed off in EPIII.

Now interpret that as you like, was Lucas massaging the ego of one of his stars? I don't think Sam Jackson is that vain. Does Mace Windu have some hereto unknown signifcance in the saga? I don't think Lucas's storytelling is even that subtle. I read it that Mace WIndu is the most important character that dies because all the principle characters survive, including Padme.

I think Padme dies on Alderaan and we'll see such scenes on the OT DVD's when they are re-edited with new scenes. I reckon Lucas will put a new scene in ANH which shows the panic on Alderaan when the Death Star approaches the system.

8. ShadowJedi05

Nov 5, 2002
    I agree, Savle. Unless Mace somehow becomes more important that Padme, Anakin's wife, she lives.

9. weezyslob

weezyslob Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2002
    I sure hope he doesn't put the panic on Alerran before it is blown up in the OT. That just wouldn't fit in my opinion. Also we don't need to see people panicking, that is kinda gruesome for Star Wars.

10. ShadowJedi05

Nov 5, 2002
    True, that particular scene doesn't necessarily fit. But the rest of the arguement is valid.

11. GLucasUSC

GLucasUSC Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2002
    Good point, however Jackson PROBABLY meant to say the most important Jedi that dies. In which case that is most certainly true. Otherwise Jackson is known for brandishing his own ego and importance in these films. (his lightsabre does have the initials BMF....hopefully you know what that stands for). I call it slip of the tongue. Dooku will die and Dooku is more important than Windu even though he has less screen time.

12. weezyslob

weezyslob Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Yes I agree with the rest. I think Padme is more important than Mace, therefore Mace being the most important character to die pretty much tells us that Padme will survive.

13. chrischris716

chrischris716 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 3, 2002
    why do we have to have nice clean endings where we know everything that happens? why can't some topics be left unanswered for the viewer to come up with their own interpretation? the graduate and casablanca were great films that did not have clean endings. we were left wondering what happened to those characters. why can't we have that in star wars? i believe that i read somewhere that padme's death would be handled by books comissioned by lucas. i think her death is faked for other reasons but i do not believe she dies in ep3

14. ShadowJedi05

Nov 5, 2002
    Maybe, maybe not. But it's been stated multiple times by Samuel Jackson that he's been told he's the most important person to die: "And then [Lucas] finally said, 'Okay, so you know you've got to die. I haven't quite figured out how I'm going to kill you yet, because I guess you're the most important guy that's going to die. In the other ones, Obi Wan is still there and Yoda's still alive and Darth is still there.' So I become the most important character that can die."

You aren't Samuel L. Jackson, you can't necessarily say whether he is exaggerating or not.

15. GLucasUSC

GLucasUSC Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2002
    You're gonna take a weak little quote from Samuel L. Jackson when you dont even know what he really meant anyway? Lucas has been misquoted a thousand times about HIS OWN SAGA. All Im saying is for a talkative, egotistical actor who hasnt seen the script....gran of salt gentlemen.

16. ShadowJedi05

Nov 5, 2002
    I agree chrischris17, the movie does not have to end with her "cleanly" dying. Especially not when that question is explicitly answered later in the series.

17. Obi-Wan McCartney

Obi-Wan McCartney Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 1999
    I don't know if she dies or not, BUT, the official canon source as of now, the ROTJ novel, states that Leia remembers her mother in flashes from infancy.

Yes yes, Lucas changed the Owen/Obi-wan thing, but that doesn't invalidate the entire book, just the parts that the movie contradicts. Of course, the movie doesn't actually contradict that Obi-wan could have been the Lars first son.

SO, Leia DOESN'T have to be older than 3 to have memories cause she's a Jedi, she had, as the canon novel states, FLASHES FROM INFANCY.

18. ShadowJedi05

Nov 5, 2002
    AH, so now because I don't necessarily know exactly what he meant I'm the one whose wrong? You, also, are not Samuel L. Jackson nor are you George Lucas, the undoubted god of the SW Universe. However, though it could be a misquote I am inclined to believe that had Lucas said Mace was the most important Jedi to die, that is what Jackson would have said.

19. ShadowJedi05

Nov 5, 2002
    You know... I could choose to be offended by being called a gentlemen... :p But that would be more than pointless...

Anyways, Obi-Wan McCartney, I am perfectly willing to concede the infancy in that case. It has been a while since I've read the novelization of RotJ. That doesn't necessarily mean I change my mind about her dying however. :)

20. GLucasUSC

GLucasUSC Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2002
    Thank you Obi-Wan McCartney. Least this guys reasonable. Why are you all so opposed to Padme dying in Episode 3 anyway? There are still PLENTY of Casablanca-esque ending in Episode III. What will Obi-Wan do? Will Luke and Leia ever meet eachother and save the galaxy? Plenty more questions.

21. ShadowJedi05

Nov 5, 2002
    I am being perfectly reasonable and up until now no one had presented a canon based case for her dying while Leia was an infant. You certainly didn't, instead all I heard was complaints and arguements that I couldn't possibly be right though I backed myself up with the movies.

And what do you mean what will Obi-Wan do? Hide on Tatooine obviously, until Luke is older. As for them meeting, that's pretty much a given even if you've never seen the original trilogy and are watching from the beginning. I just don't agree that Padme has to die in III, what's so wrong with that?

22. chrischris716

Apr 3, 2002
    here is a quote from grilled-sarlacc's page of ep3 facts:

"We were just talking about stuff," Jackson said. "And then [Lucas] finally said, 'Okay, so you know you've got to die. I haven't quite figured out how I'm going to kill you yet, because I guess you're the most important guy that's going to die. In the other ones, Obi Wan is still there and Yoda's still alive and Darth is still there.' So I become the most important character that can die. I guess it's got to be pretty dynamic. So he's working that out."

here is another quote:
    "Actually, I don't know much. I had lunch with George Lucas a couple of weeks ago, and we kind of touched on it. The most he would say is, "Well, sometime next summer, I guess I'll be killing you." I was like, "Yeah, I guess so." He'll tell me how I die later on. But I know I won't make it to the end. In the first Star Wars, there were only three Jedis left - Luke, Obi-Wan and Yoda. That's it. Everybody else is dead."

It would be assumed that he is refering to jedi. that whole everybody else line could be construed many ways. But Jackson did admit he did not know much of the plot, so why would he have any info on other characters?

23. ShadowJedi05

Nov 5, 2002
    True, though no one else knows anything either except Natalie Portman who only says that the twins are born and Anakin turns to the darkside. I don't think she'll die and no, I don't want her to, but that doesn't mean she won't. Until Lucas speaks on this matter in the form of Ep III we won't know, so that doesn't make anyone's opinions more or less valid than anyone else's.

24. chrischris716

Apr 3, 2002
    "Least this guys reasonable. Why are you all so opposed to Padme dying in Episode 3 anyway? "

why are you opposed to the idea that she doesn't die in episode 3?

i would think most people consider themselves reasonable including myself. At least I find data to back up my theories and try to argue my point than to make fun of other people's ideas or call them names

25. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    Yeah, if Lucas decided to kill her, that would have to be the cheapest way to get rid of a character. Its a common concept in screenwriting that the easiest way to deal with a "problem" character is to simply kill that character off.

If he were to do so, he'd be cheating the character and Portman by robbing them of the suffering and pain the character will inevitably face. A cheap way of getting around emotions the character would have inevitably felt had she lived her life to its fullest. I figure Lucas is up to the challenge of fleshing out the character by placing her in a situation she would suffer and maybe contemplate suicide.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.