main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*OFFICIAL THREAD* Padmé's death and Leia's memories

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by GLucasUSC, Nov 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alderaanian_Jedi

Alderaanian_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 3, 2002
    If Padmè does not die in Episode III (Which I am certain she does), the only possibility is her dying in the destruction of Alderaan. But I am 99% sure that she will die in Episode III.

2. GLucasUSC

GLucasUSC Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2002
    DING DING DING! Darth Sin nailed it on the head. I had a brain fart and completely overlooked what Yoda said. The Jedi can remember all those things even the past (which is more feasible than the future anyway). I finally do agree with ShadowJedi on something and that is that it would be neat for Padme to be force sensitive. I wouldnt go so far as to say she becomes a ghost but I could just picture somewhere near the end of the movie as she lay dying Obi-Wan having one last little conversation with her wherein he playfully teases that she too has the Force in her. That she's always had it and that under alternate circumstances she would have been adopted by the Jedi.
    Another good point was made by someone else that why on earth would Leia hide with her own mother on a galactically important planet with the very political adversary of Palpatine? It's pretty weak. My guess is that Padme dies and gives the son to Obi-Wan (who gives it to Owen) and the daughter goes to Bail Organa. Since Vader only knew he had one child he didn't even think to look for a "daughter" hiding anywhere, let alone under his nose. But then the question becomes....why wouldnt it occur to Vader to look for Luke on Tattooine of all places UNLESS he DIDNT want to find Luke?

3. Darth_Howell_III

Darth_Howell_III Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2002
    Shadow -

I didn't say you said it - I only said that George didn't say it. :eek:/

Padme COULD have Force potential - now, as we speak - and the fact that these powers were not yet alluded to in a film does not mean that they don't exist.

We seem to agree on this, which is good news. (Some readers of this site, for whom English is a second or third language, may have required additional clarification).

I, too, think it would be intriguing if Luke potentially had more "midiclorian power" than Vader, having gotten it from both parents.

4. Darth_Howell_III

Sep 12, 2002
    Alderaanian Jedi -

Leia's mother "died when Leia was very young." Alderaan was destroyed when Leia was 20 or so... this would not add up.

USC -

I strongly believe that Darth "Midichlorian" Vader knew all the time where Luke was.

He avoided telling the Emperor because 1. he wanted to protect his kids - look how messed up his own childhood was; and 2. he wanted them to someday join him - the Emperor would have taken pre-emptive action.

5. ShadowJedi05

ShadowJedi05 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2002
    I have to agree, if Vader knows about his kids, or one of them, he didn't want them to be found. Although I'm still puzzled as to how the Emperor didn't sense Leia's power since she's a Senator and would be in the Senate but ah well.

6. Darth_Howell_III

Sep 12, 2002
    Shadow -

My favorite topic!

Remember how Luke was right under the Epmeror's nose in ROTJ, but he couldn't tell?

V: My son is with them.
    E: Are you sure?
    V: I have felt him.
    E: Strange that I have not...

Vader can sense things about his offspring that the Emperor cannot!

My theory: Part of Vader was still attached to the Good Side of the Force.

The Emperor could not conceive of this fact - never considered the possibility that there was some "good" nuance of Vader that he did not know.

His overconfidence was his weakness.

7. dinoX

dinoX Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 20, 2002
    I agree that padme dies...but not in episode III. It just doesn't fit with all the facts. I really hope Lucas doesn't blunder and kill her off, b/c then he'd have to remove that scene with Luke and Leia talking on endor.

8. Darth_Howell_III

Sep 12, 2002
    Hey Dino - where have you been?

On the previous page (and in numerous other threads), I have speculated that Padme may be seen as a "ghost" - not unlike ESB Kenobi - at the end of Episode III.

We can speculate that she dropped in on Leia occasionally - before the little girl was old enough to differentiate between the ghost and a real person.

9. Luke_Skywalker_12

Luke_Skywalker_12 Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 11, 2002
    I don't think Padme will die in ep.3. She may die like 10 years before ANH.

10. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    I agree that padme dies...but not in episode III. It just doesn't fit with all the facts. I really hope Lucas doesn't blunder and kill her off, b/c then he'd have to remove that scene with Luke and Leia talking on endor.

I always beleived she would die, and always thought it fit with the storyline of Epsiode IV, V and VI. But, now that you mention that it doesn't fit with the facts, it really doesn't.

I think she will and should die, before the start of Episode IV: A New Hope, just because we don't see her or hear of her in that, or any of the further ones.

What we do know, is that Natalie Portman has shot scenes for the Original Trilogy for George Lucas. Now, if she was alive, and she will be shown in a few scenes like I said, she would be in alot if she was still alive. If she was dead, she could appear like Obi Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker and Yoda at the end of Episode VI: The Return of the Jedi, but not with them ;)

11. Darth_Howell_III

Sep 12, 2002
    Luke 12 -

How would we, the audience watching 4-6, ever know it?

We would keep "expecting her to show up," knowing that she has cheated death (indeed, "seemed to die") right before our eyes.

12. Darth_Howell_III

Sep 12, 2002
    Shinjo -

Natalie has denied that she has shot any new ROTJ footage.

However, George could easily insert Padme's Ghost in there somewhere - particularly if my PMFG Theory proves correct.

He does not necessarily need "new footage" to do it... any 3-seconds of Natalie would do the trick; it could be rendered into a "blue silhouette."

13. GLucasUSC

GLucasUSC Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2002
    For those of you joining us late, plenty of people have made valid points as to why it IS easily feasible and acceptible for Padme to die in Episode III. She can die a splendid little death seven ways from sunday So long as Leia and her share some intimate bond. It need not be 3 years of child rearing folks. It merely needs to be something like in Star trek II when before Spock dies he melds with Bones and says "Remember...". It's sci-fi folks, these rules are easily set and are broken. Besides no rules are being broken at all in Padme dying in Episode III.

14. ferelwookie

ferelwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2001
    Please disregard Leia's lines about her mother in ROTJ. Carrie Fisher was under the influence when she said that and was improvising.

:p

15. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    Before you burn me, I've read through most of the posts here and give you my take on the situation.

IT Doesn't matter!

As to the people that feel that Padme needs closure sp?. Explain to me what closure did Leia or Han or Lando or Chewie had at the end of ROTJ?, they just lived on and probably died later, maybe they had kids, did Luke died after a year or 100 years?, did he became a Sith?, I think you get the picture

IT doesn't matter!

We all know that Padme will die in Alderan after Leia spend enough time to get some memories of her, 1 year, 2 years, 2.5. well it may be.

Unless GL changes the formula for EP III which I doubt, the time span on screen will be of a few weeks/months at the most. So unless the birth of the twins happens in the crawl, I think Padme will be alive and well (yet sad) at the end.
    Although if she dies it will make for a better movie in my opinion I just don't see it happening.

All the main characters from the OT are alive at the end (even if in Spirit form!)
    Leia-alive
    Han-Alive
    Chewie-Alive
    Luke-Alive
    Yoda, Ben, Ani - Alive as spirits
    Lando- alive
    r2, 3PO- alive?

So, chances of Padme being killed/die on screen, less than 1/SQRT(Pi)

never tell me the odds

16. Darth_Howell_III

Sep 12, 2002
    "Explain to me what closure did Leia or Han or Lando or Chewie had at the end of ROTJ?"

OK -

They were accounted for on the big screen.

We could identify each one and say, "There they are, they made it to the finish line."

Their fans were not left waiting for another shoe to drop.

17. GLucasUSC

GLucasUSC Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2002
    Good point Darth Howell. They had closure enough cause it was the end of the SAGA. Episode III is not the end. Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Padme are the three core characters. Obi-Wan and Anakin get succinct and significant clusure. Padme should be accorded the same respect.

18. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    For those that are still figuring what odds do I give that Padme dies is

less than 56.418958%

:D

I guess if we take that GL said that this would be very dark movie, this could be an indication about what to expect, but I think GL wants the money machine to keep rolling them in and it won't happen.

19. chrischris716

chrischris716 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 3, 2002
    if i am correct, leia did say that her mother died when she was very young. if padme dies at the end of episode 3, then why didn't leia say that she died when leia was born or something to that effect?

as for vader protecting his children, we all know that vader did protect luke for a period of time from the emperior, because he wanted to get to luke to join him to destroy the emperior. as for leia, for someone who was being tortured, she seemed fine when they brought her on deck to watch the descruction of her planet. i am not sure if that is adequate proof that he did protect leia. she might have had a high resistance to the torture like anakin and luke did with the force lightning.

20. ShadowJedi05

ShadowJedi05 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2002
    Waaaay belated response to DH3, but people have to sleep sometimes :p even if it is at 4 in the afternoon...

Anyways, thanks for pointing that out, I'd forgotten that line. In that case, yes, i can see how Leia could be there though Vader didn't seem to know about Leia, but then again, he could have known and just not known where she was and Luke gave her away.

*In response to GLucasUSC's message about valid points of her dying* Plenty of people have also make logical and valid points about why she doesn't have to die. Just for clarification for the new people since that tiny fact was neglected to be mentioned.

21. chrischris716

chrischris716 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 3, 2002
    well, some people have to sleep, shower, and go to class...;) not as fun as star wars but gotta do it...thank god only two more weeks of classes and 6 days for the aotc dvd to come out...:)

i just think that there is not enough proof for padme to die in episode 3. i have an idea that padme has a lot of decoys and one of them could be killed without anyone really knowing that it isn't padme...it would make so much more sense because padme has allows used decoys in both films to protect her...

22. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    Oops, I am terribly sorry. I probably missed that :( Thanks Darth_Howell_III. :D

23. dinoX

dinoX Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 20, 2002
    Leia: "She died when I was very young..."

If padme dies when Leia is a baby, don't you think she would have said "She died when I was a baby" or something along those lines?

Suffice it to say, for all you people who seem to have a necessity to cling to having padme killed off on-screen for Episode III, if George sticks to the facts, it isn't going to happen. Unless of course, the film is 3 hours long and it advances a year or two after the kids are born at some point, and THEN she is killed on screen. But other than that, NOPE.

24. Darth_Howell_III

Sep 12, 2002
    I have said before, (notably in my beloved thread HYPOTHESIS: GEORGE'S MASTER PLAN FOR THE SERIES), this:

THERE IS NO EVIDENCE THAT VADER ACTUALLY TORTURED LEIA IN THAT CHAMBER.

Sure, it SEEMS like he did, but:

A) The door closed immediately, leaving them in there alone;
    B) We cut to Vader saying "Her resistance to the mind-probe is considerable..."
    C) We see Leia later with every hair in place, no ill-effects.

I submit that it is POSSIBLE that Vader, knowing he was in the presence of his daughter, did NOT torture her at all...

he could have administered some sedative, knocked her out, and twiddled his mechanical thumbs for awhile.

Leia comes to - she thinks, "Jeez, what a sophisticated interrigation system they have... I BLOCKED IT ALL OUT,,, I CAN'T REMEMBER ANYTHING ABOUT IT............"

Vader puts on his usual dog-and-pony show for his colleagues.

25. Darth_Howell_III

Sep 12, 2002
    Dino, ol' buddy -

I addressed you directly earlier on this page!

:eek:/

See my "Ghost Padme" Scenario and say that to my face!

-Darth_Howell_III

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.