main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*OFFICIAL THREAD* Padmé's death and Leia's memories

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by GLucasUSC, Nov 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dean1138

Dean1138 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 3, 2005
    I don't know what Lucas has stated but using a bit of common sense I'd be pretty willing to bet the person Leia is referring to is Padme. I mean, if not - what the hell is that whole scene about in RotJ. Luke wants to know what his real mother was like and there's Leia just waxing lyrical about some woman that has no real connection in the saga, her adopted mother who we see for like two seconds at the end of Sith. That kind of reading on the scene totally destroys any impact in their conversation and really if that was the true intention there would be no point having it in the film. Why discuss someone who in the end is of no consequence to the greater picture. Pointless!!!
    As stated above by several people now, if you read between the lines here Lucas is showing us that Leia is indeed strong with the force like Luke. She can remember images and feelings of her mother before she died, while Luke remembers her final message - subconciously and inexplicably! It reveals a strong connection between Padme and her children even in death. And yes that's right death - she is dead, ceased to be - she is an ex-Padme!!

2. angel_gidget

angel_gidget Jedi Master star 1

Apr 16, 2004
    Okay, I haven't read the whole thread, so you guys would have to tell me if it's been mentioned or not...

But suppose Bail showed Leia some holos of her real mother when he explained the girl's adoption to her. I don't claim to know much about parents who adopt, but I suspect there comes a time where the kids ask questions about their real parents. Isn't it possible that Bail may have shown some images of Padme to Leia, and then told her to not worry about it anymore 'cause the poor woman was dead?

3. Dean1138

Jul 3, 2005
    Plus, where did this idea that Leia had 2 adopted mothers come from. If it's to make things clearer somehow it's not really working too well! In the end it doesn't matter how many adopted mother's she had - she could've had a new one for every year of her life and still none of them would be who Leia is talking about in Jedi. Remember Luke asks her about her REAL mother!

4. AUSSIETROOPER20

AUSSIETROOPER20 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2004
    I totally agree with you obi1andreasen79,cause luke never revealed that he was her brother untile after she mentioned about bails wife the queen, and yes she could have been killed by food poison or was elergic to something that killed her, just like those chinesse people who died from that poison that came from no where they could suspect.

As we all know, Leia was talking about bails wife the queen, cause why would he say to leia you were adopted? It doesn't fit, cause he would be stupid to say that, and she would be going places to try to find her real mother if she found out she was adopted.

she sort of knew she was adopted, but not by bails first queen wife we saw, but by another who married bail after bails first wife the queen of alderian died.

Leia knows nothing of padme, neather does Luke.

5. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "As we all know, Leia was talking about bails wife the queen"

Oh, "we" do, do we?

"cause why would he say to leia you were adopted? It doesn't fit, cause he would be stupid to say that, and she would be going places to try to find her real mother if she found out she was adopted."

LOL...as if. I guess you missed the part where Leia says "She died when I was very young." Methinks that search is going to be cut a bit short.

6. Dean1138

Jul 3, 2005
    Bail would've told her so that she would actually know a bit of her background and where she actually came from. Of course he'd have said that Padme was her mother to honour both Padme and Leia, but he'd have also told her that she was dead - hence Leia would have no need to go off and find her!
    But as I stated earlier, it makes no sense in the overall scheme of things for Leia to be remembering her adoptive mother in Jedi. None!!! It doesn't fit with the story and it doesnt fit with what is being said in the scene! If Leia had asked Luke about his real mother and he'd started waffling on about his Aunt Beru youd be goin, WTF - For someone supposedly force sensitive, you aint the bightest spark in the tool shed!!!

7. Dean1138

Jul 3, 2005
    "Methinks that search is going to be cut a bit short. "

LOL - right on MeBeJedi!

8. AUSSIETROOPER20

Jul 19, 2004
    he wanted to raise leia as his own, so there would no need to mention anything about padme to leia, meaning leia never knew her real real mother Padme, cause leia was born second as luke was born first.

If luke doesnt know padme, neather does leia.

It's just like R2 never revealed anything about the past to 3PO cause of certain reasons to hide the truth untile the right time, and that right time would be after the galactic war ended in episode 6.

Leia didnt say when i was born, but when I was very young meaning that when she was very young, the queen of alderian died in some ways;
    1.by eating something with poison
    2.by dying in a battle
    3.by dying in sickness
    4.by dying in the hands of darth vader
    5.by slipping and falling off the palace.

9. sswdesilva

sswdesilva Jedi Youngling

Jun 27, 2005
    As far as Leia would have known, her mother is Bail Organa's wife. There is nothing that would justify an assumption to the contrary.

The memories that Leia relates to Luke are those of her adoptive mother. Simple as that.

10. AUSSIETROOPER20

Jul 19, 2004
    I totally agree with you sswdesilva.=D= [face_peace]

11. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    They are not of her adoptive mother. They are of Padme. This has been proven over and over again. Lucas said he almost didn't include the scene at all because he wasn't entirely sure what he was going to do with their real mother. But it was always intended to be their real mother who they have force memories of.

12. AUSSIETROOPER20

Jul 19, 2004
    things change.

your forgetting that the tv seires wil add more to her first step mothers death, meaning she'll be adopted again by bails new wife, and leia's 2nd step mother who she thinks is her 1st step mother.

baby's cant remember, see, hear, understand or work propely when there born, and if leia knew padme, why didnt luke. simple there not talking about padme really, but lia's 1st step mother, bails first wife.

also a baby is only just getting started to the life outside the mother, that's why baby's cry when there brought out of there mother, cause there not use to the life outside there mothers body.

[face_thinking] [face_coffee]

13. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    Luke even explicitly says: "your real mother?"

Besides, what's not to say that Bail Oragana's wife didn't live up
    until ANH and the destruction of Alderaan? Or beyond that, even.

Besides, you're forgetting the tenets of storytelling. Luke is setting
    her up to tell her that he is her brother and that their mother
    is the same person. An abstract question about her foster mother
    doesn't really lend itself to that story.

14. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    The TV series is not supposed to deal with main characters.

And they're not normal babies in our world, they're strongly Force senstive babies in a mythical world. Anything is possible.

15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Mace Windu remembers when he was six months old, the first time he met Yoda and how he got his first lesson in attachments.

And the television series will not focus on the main characters. It will either focus on Boba Fett or the eu Jedi who were still alive, following ROTS. Bail Organa, Breha Antilles Organa, Leia Organa, Luke Skywalker, Owen Lars, Beru Lars, Biggs Darklighter, Obi-wan Kenobi, See-Threepio, Artoo-Detoo, Darth Vader, Emperor Palpatine, Wedge Antilles, Mon Mothma, Han Solo, Lando Calrissian, Jar Jar Binks, Boss Nass, Chewbacca and Grand Moff Tarkin will not star in the series. You're more likely to see Quilan Vos, Barris Offee, Aura Sing, Boba Fett, Jabba The Hutt and the like.

Padme is who Leia remembers. She does because of the Force. Vader and Palpatine do not sense a thing.

16. darth_padawan_padme

darth_padawan_padme Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2005
    Yeah what he said ^^^^^

Also Leia describes her mother as very beautiful but very sad or something like that. That is a perfect description of ROTS Padme. And no offence to Leia's mom, judging from what I saw of her, she wasn't that much of a stunner.

17. darkscout36

darkscout36 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2005
    actually she could be just talking about breha organa. I know luke asked about her real mom, but prior to that, no one knew she was adopted. So she could be referring to breha organa.

also in ANH, in the message in R2, she said "obi-wan, years ago u served my father in the clone wars". She was referring to bail organa who she calls her father.

18. Nicomsaber

Nicomsaber Jedi Youngling

Apr 18, 2005
    Come on.... really...

it is pretty much clear that Leia was talking about Padme in ROTJ. I know that bc of one simple line said by Luke.

He asked her about her REAL mother. The entire conversation would not make sense if she was talking about her adoptive mother, even if she had more than one. Tha fact that it is a made up mythical world and universe totally proves the point that a baby, moreover a baby gifted with powers of the force, is able to not only remember but identify its mother from a very early age.:confused: That is what i think anyways.

19. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    "The man Leia called Father was obviously not her father. He is part of the group that ends up having to fight Darth Vader in the film that will be out in 2003 [laughs]. The part that I had never really developed is the death of Luke and Leia's mother. I had a back story for her in earlier drafts, but it basically didn't survive. When I got to JEDI, I wanted one of the kids to have some kind of memory of her because she will be a key figure in the new episodes I'm writing. But I really debated on whether or not Leia should remember her."

--George Lucas, Star Wars-The Return Of The Jedi: Annotated Screenplay, 1997

Everything in the above is accurate with the exception of the release date for ROTS, which was off due to Lucas not realizing yet that it would take 18 months to do the post production work, for each PT film.

She's remembering Padme.

20. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I agree to the fact that these are supernatural beings who can feel and think even at the early age as birth. This is why Leia was able to remember her mother through feelings. Over the course of her pregnancy Padme must have had a psychic connection with Leia that she wasn't even aware of, but Leia, somehow through the force, did and came to know her. Call it mother-daugther bonding before child birth. This was sort of depicted in the screenplay when Padme was teasing Anakin about having a girl and he was thinking it was boy. Well, anyway, Star Wars is BS, so no matter what anyone thinks here they'll just have to agree to what we BS lovers agreed upon. The reason why Leia remembers is because of her strong connection with the force.

21. AUSSIETROOPER20

Jul 19, 2004
    darkscout36 you reading my mind, and yes leia isn't speaking about Padme, cause she thought her real parents were the Organa's as she thought that bail was her father, and bails first wife was her real mother, who could die when leia is very young by food poison or sickness or being killed by some vilian.

after that leia would be adopted again, but it would feel as she was adopted for the first time since she thought bails first wife was her real mother, so leia gets 2 step mothers, cause leia thought she was an Alderian and she never met Luke untile he rescued her.

22. tee4jc85

tee4jc85 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 20, 2005
    [face_beatup] I swear, some people...:oops:

what will it take for you people to realize SHE IS TALKING ABOUT PADME!? dear lord

the ones who say she is talking about Padme have all the evidence to back it up;

+ Logical common sense reasoning (IE the scene would serve ZERO purpose to the plot or character development if it wasnt Padme she was speaking of)
    + The OS SAID it was Padme she was talking about
    + GEORGE LUCAS SAID it was Padme she was talking about

and yet, the only evidence the non-believers here have to put up are far fecthed loop holes (which all the Padme believers have given proper answers too BTW) as their back ups.

23. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR:
    Over the course of her pregnancy Padme must have had a psychic connection with Leia that she wasn't even aware of, but Leia, somehow through the force, did and came to know her. Call it mother-daugther bonding before child birth. This was sort of depicted in the screenplay when Padme was teasing Anakin about having a girl and he was thinking it was boy.

Actually, according to the novelization, it was completely the opposite. Padme thought the child would be a boy; Anakin thought it would be a girl.

On p. 217, Padme says, "He keeps kicking."

"He?" Anakin asked mildly. "I thought you ordered your medical droid not to spoil the surprise."

"Oh, I didn't get this from Emdee. It's my..." Her smile went softly sly. "...motherly intuition."

He felf a sudden pulse against his palm and laughted. "Motherly intuition, huh? With a kick that hard? Definitely a girl."

Not only did Padme think her child would be a boy, but she also touched Luke and never touched Leia. Luke was also born first. Therefore, if Leia could remember her mother, Luke should have been able to also.

I like the theory that another fan suggested though, and that was that Luke couldn't remember his mother because he was traumatized by witnessing her death as evidenced by him crying uncontrollably right when Padme died.

It definitely seemed that mother and son had a special connection.

24. AUSSIETROOPER20

Jul 19, 2004
    its as leia revealed to obi-wan in ANH in a form of a hologram, saying years ago you served my father in the clone wars.

this means that she thought she was an alderian and an organa not a skywalker or a naboo, and leia was born 2nd not 1st, meaning she has only memory of her 1st adopted mother who she thought was her real mother, and luke asked her about her real mother without revealing that he was her brother untile after she said something about bails first wife the queen of alderian who'l die by poison food or sickness as people do in life.

a baby can not remember there mother right when there brought out of there mother, untile hours later, which we saw that leia was looking at bails wife not padme. baby's only beging to get use to life aster an hour or 2.

25. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Yes, it was definitely Padmé that Leia was referring to. The movie says this, the OS says this, and Lucas says this. I don't see how the point can or should be argued against that. I hadn't heard that theory about Luke being traumatized - but it makes sense. Also note that he sensed Yoda's presence on Dagobah.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.