main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*OFFICIAL THREAD* Padmé's Fate [v4.0]

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Reflecting, Sep 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    No, it wouldn't be a better story if she lived, it would be really bad storytelling. What if Obi-wan never came back in ANH and we got no explaination as to what happened to him? It's the same thing. We need to see what happens with our own eyes... don't leave Padme's fate to the purgatory of the EU. She's a major character and deserves better.

And again, Leia doesn't remember her mother. She remembers "images" and "feelings"... it seems obvious she's "remembering" through the Force. Remember this is SW and not real life. That line can be easily explained this way, and some people will have to suspend their disbelief.

The other day on the webcam we did see something that looked remarkably like a funeral. There were some familiar looking characters, like Sio Bibble and a Typho looking guard, and a bunch of handmaidens. They were pushing something like looked alot like a gurney. It seems likely that the "sensitive" scenes Pabs said they were filming this week include Padme's funeral. Her family is supposed to be filming too, we just probably didn't see them on the webcam. I don't know what else we could have been looking at.

2. Puke-Eyeswater

Puke-Eyeswater Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 18, 2002
    "It seems likely that the "sensitive" scenes Pabs said they were filming this week include Padme's funeral. Her family is supposed to be filming too, we just probably didn't see them on the webcam. I don't know what else we could have been looking at."

If you read my previous post, you would have noticed I mentioned her faking her death...

And remember, that it isn't necessary to see Padme die. There are to be 'plot twists'. This will be one of them. Read the original site's entry on Padme. She goes with Leia and Bail to Alderaan.

As for Leia remembering Padme through the force... don't get me started on that BS!

Luke couldn't remember his mother, and he is stronger that Leia in the force...

It took him months to train to see 'remotely' (things from the past, preasent and future).

Are you suggesting that somehow Leia is more attuned than a fully trained Luke at one month old?! :confused:

Nah... next theory...

3. simonburge

simonburge Jedi Youngling

Sep 16, 2003
    Padme dying in Episode III is so blatantly obvious that it's hardly even worth a mention. How do explain her lack of mention, yet appearance in Episodes IV, V & VI. Leia even said she died when she was very young doh!!

This is the first and probably the last time I will post a message on a Star Wars board as it better we all just wait and see but to me its obvious that in the new film, the following will happen:

1. Dooku will die
    2. All the jedi will die except Yoda, Anakin and Kenobi
    3. Anakin joins the dark side and becomes you know who.
    4. Padme dies

Its gonna be bloody black my firends!!

4. Puke-Eyeswater

Nov 18, 2002
    Okay smartar*e, we're not disputing the fact that she dies - just the timing and whether it will happen in E3. Take the time to read and understand what has previously been posted...

5. Jedi-Jut

Jedi-Jut Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 26, 2002
    Where do you get the idea that it's obvious that Padme dies in ep3? It's more obvious that she goes to Alderaan with Leia and Bail, to then eventually die perhaps while Leia is a young child.

6. JediBendu

JediBendu Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 1999
    Chaps, might I suggest you go visit Padme's Fate v3.0 which is the official thread for these type of discussions where the question of her surviving and Leia's memories have been hashed out for a very, very long time.

Also check out the Leia Magic Force Baby theory which adequately covers any questions on Leia's memories and Luke not having any.

7. RebelScum77

Aug 3, 2003
    Agreed.... this topic has been hashed to death and I could lay out all the reasons again why she HAS to die, but I don't have time to do it again. Visit the Padme's fate thread.

But there are so many reasons for her to die, and I can't think of one single good reason for her to live past Ep. III.

8. JediBendu

Jan 13, 1999
    Oh I can't resist...

OK, here we go.

1. Padme must die.

2. Padme must die.

3. Padme will die.

"Why, Jedi Bendu?" you ask...

"Well, my Padawan learners", I respond "It's because of the Laws of Drama.

"Bail organa can vanish because he is a bit part. I don't see fan anguish over never knowing the fate of Snaggletooth.

"But Padme is a major player. She's on par with Princess Leia or Han Solo. She's less important than Luke or Anakin, but more important than everyone else.

"Imagine if halfway through ESB Han and Leia vanished. Luke fights Vader and then gets away. Then in RotJ, he chats to Wedge

Luke: Hey Wedge

Wedge: Yes, Buddy?

Luke: Do you know what happened to that foxy princess and the smuggler?

Wedge: They died, dude.

Luke: Bummer.

"I think you can all admit that this would be bad storytelling.

"The Laws of Drama say that major characters need closure. Remember at the end of season 1 Babylon 5 when the Commander just vanished? That was bad, it was only saved by him returning in later seasons.

"There is no way in hell that Lucas would do this to a major character like Padme

"Someone mentioned tragedy and how Padme living is more tragic than Padme dying. When a tragic mother figure is left grieving in a classic tragedy, she is returned to somewhere later in the story so we can see what happened to her. Or in Shakespeare's Winter's Tale, where we think the mothetr has vanished from the story, but she is revisted later and given dramatic closure.

"We know that padme is not given closure later on, so she must be given closure in Episode III, so she must die."

-------------

Now, following the above post pointing out the dramatic impertaive of Padme's death (the WHY) now here's the HOW...

You know it's that time (They all scream NOOOO!)

Yes, the triumphal return of the Leia-Magic-Force-Baby (LMFB) Theory (quietly trouncing Darth Howell III's PMFG for 25 years)

A scene from Ep III: On Dagobah:
    -----------------------------------

Padme, exhausted from giving birth, holds Leia in her arms. The baby gazes up at her seriously and then smiles.

Padme: It's almost like she knows me already.

Obi-Wan (Holding Luke): The connection between a mother and a daughter is extremely powerful.

Yoda(ominously): So too between the father and the son.

Padme: (sadly) Anakin...

------------------------------------

This resolves a number of issues.

1. Why Luke feels he know Dagobah

2. Why Leia remembers her Mum and Luke does not.

3. Why Vader senses the force in Luke and not in Leia.

4. Why Obi-Wan and Yoda use Luke to confront Vader rather than Leia

5. Why Leia can be hidden in plain sight of Vader whilst Luke must be hidden away on Tatooine.

TAAAA-DAAAAA

Thank you, thank you.

I'll be here all night.

9. Puke-Eyeswater

Nov 18, 2002
    Padme will die in EP III

Sounds like this is a redundant thread if thats the case JediBendu...

It's hard to discuss Padme's fate without reference to the topics I've touched on. Hard as to be impossible!

I'm simply stating that even if a funeral scene HAS been filmed... well, you've read my posts...

10. JediBendu

Jan 13, 1999
    Take it to Padme's Fate. Read over the replies, the discussions there. The only new piece of information is a possibility that she has a funeral. Otherwise all the old arguments stand.

11. Puke-Eyeswater

Nov 18, 2002
    So what's left to discuss in this thread?!

12. JediBendu

Jan 13, 1999
    NOTHING!

13. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000
    Luke couldn't remember his mother, and he is stronger than Leia in the force...

That's a dubious assumption.

It took him months to train to see 'remotely' (things from the past, present and future).

The only time Luke sees anything is when he has a vision of Han & Leia being tortured - which had less to do with training than Vader exploiting their emotional bond - just as Leia's emotional bond to Luke allowed her to sense Luke in ESB, and just as Leia's emotional bond with her mother allows her to see her through the Force (re: Yoda's quote - through the Force you will see the past, present, future, and friends long gone ...) Leia may only be attributing it to memory because she does not yet understand that it is a Force vision.

Are you suggesting that somehow Leia is more attuned than a fully trained Luke at one month old?!

Who said anything about one month old? In fact, at that age, they would be exactly the same, since they are twins and neither have had any training.

Meanwhile, how much training did Anakin have to win the podraces?

Training teaches you to control your abilities - but just because you haven't been trained it doesn't follow that you don't have abilities.

Leia remembering her mother through the Force is easily explained using the movies - whether you think it's BS or not.

It is perfectly internally consistent - this is, after all, fantasy, not reality - and Lucas can easily kill her off in e3 without leaving any holes or gaps - unless you refuse to see them.

I believe it says more about people's defiant refusal to believe than it does about the plausibility of it happening.

It can be explained logically and rationally with info from the films - while most counter-arguments are simply angry rants.

oh well

14. Texas_Jedi

Texas_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 1999
    I agree with Rebelscum. It would be horrible storytelling if she just disappeared offscreen. Padme must die, Leigh's comments about her real mother can be attributed to the force. I love Natalie Portman, she's beautiful and all and none of our heros have ever died. Obi Wan and Yoda have spirits. So we can accept that, but Padme IS going to die in this film so we should just get ready to brace ourselves for it. Lucas said EIII would be a REAL tragedy and I think part of that tragedy is Padme's death.

15. Puke-Eyeswater

Nov 18, 2002
    Who's angry? And either view can be argued rationally and logically...

Why is it so illogical that Padme survives E3? Do you suppose that we'll see all the Jedi killed? No, it happens offscreen. Bail is an important character. Do we see him die? No, we assume he's killed when Alderaan is blown up.

In faking her death, 'Padme' like the name 'Anakin Skywalker' ceases to be.

Anyway, time will tell...

16. Count_Cuckoo

Count_Cuckoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 15, 2001
    JediBendu, got it in one. Padme has to and will die in ep3. I hope Dooku kills her, just to see Anakin watch him do this and then fight him. With all the rage in Anakin it would be the equivalent of Jet Li (Anakin) taking on Pee Wee Herman (Dooku), Brutal, very violent and a complete sweet end to Dooku and the rise of Vader (Uncomplete of course). Then Bring on Obi Wan for the complete transformation.

17. darthgetalife

darthgetalife Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 21, 2002
    Just one more ( obvious )thing to add what TheOzhaggis said : you all people, who say Padmé can die so early because Leia have to have memories of her , remember when you were 8 years old and already was a famous political debator or those days when you were a 9 years kid that could race podracers and pilot starfighters or better that time when you were a 14 yars old and already was serving an electoral mandate , don't you ?
    No you don't because things like that happen only in a GFFA.
    See, the STANDARD is diferent .
    If someone can be an acomplished debator/politician at age 11 in a GFFA? like Padmé bio states in the OS ? is clear that this people don't need to stay together trough decades to gather some memories.
    They are NOT EARTH HUMANS .

This Padmé can't die because Leia's memory thing is simply bickering :(

18. Puke-Eyeswater

Nov 18, 2002
    Well, unless someone can point me to a CONFIRMED quote telling us that Padme dies in E3, then everyone's point is valid - for whatever argument they choose to put forth.

Comments that are intended to belittle are not enough.

19. RebelScum77

Aug 3, 2003
    Good point Darthgetalife!

Dooku won't kill Padme. He supposedly dies within the first 10 minutes... she definitely makes it longer than that.

Besides Leia's "memories" there is no logical reason for Padme to live, I mean, give me ONE good reason. The story is not helped by her disappearance at the end of Ep. III, because that's what it would happen, she would disappear off the face of the Earth. As an important main character she deserves closure.

And Bail is not a main character in the Saga, so don't even compare him to Padme. We have closure for every principal character... Anakin, Obi-wan, Yoda, Palpatine, Luke, Leia, and Han. If Padme just waved goodbye to us at the end of III she would have no closure, it just doesn't make ANY sense.

20. CrystalKenobi

CrystalKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    I'm going with the idea that Padme will fake her death in order to be able to protect her and the children.

21. Puke-Eyeswater

Nov 18, 2002
    ... which is a good theory!

22. JediBendu

Jan 13, 1999
    No, it's a bad theory because we never get any closure for Padme. Bail is a minor character, he can die in the background. Padme is the third most important character in the Prequel Trilogy. She cannot die in the background, in the same way Leia or Han could not fade away in the original trilogy.

23. Puke-Eyeswater

Nov 18, 2002
    "And Bail is not a main character in the Saga, so don't even compare him to Padme"

Au contrare! In E3 he WILL be a main character. He helps form the rebel alliance, he helps smuggle the twins (and padme) to safety, he (with padme) is the main voice against the new order...

24. JediBendu

Jan 13, 1999
    Bail: He has about 2 lines and a grimace in Ep II. he's almost a name in Ep I. He's not mentioned in the OT. He's not even Lando Calrissian, he's closer to Wedge as a character.

We do not know his role in Ep III, it will be enlarged, but by no means is he a major player in the trilogy. On no one's scale could he be considered the equal of Han, Leia or Padme.

25. Count_Cuckoo

Count_Cuckoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 15, 2001
    Bail will be one of the main players in Ep3, he has to be - otherwise its a waste of a major character in the whole storyline.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.