*OFFICIAL THREAD* Padmé's Fate [v4.0]

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith' started by Reflecting, Sep 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AniPadmeLurker Jedi Master

star 4
    Ha.

Padme had a lot of clues to stop the relationship EXAMPLES:

"I killed them all. Not just the men, but the women and the children,too."

"It sounds an awful lot like a dictatorship to me."
    "Well if it works."

But true love cannot be stopped, right? Even if it ends in a choke.
  2. Darth_GoldenDroid Jedi Padawan

She will certainly appear pregnant in the film, even if she didn't appear so in the trailers. Even her action figure is knocked up.

I agree that showing up at Anakin's work was bad news bears from the start. How can she just surprise her baby daddy like that and not expect to get choked?
  3. Smithenguan Jedi Knight

star 2
    I refuse to believe a simple emotional breakdown ("broken heart") can physically kill a person.
  4. Jedi_Master_Grover Jedi Master

star 3
    Anakin and Padme barely saw each other because of their duties as a Jedi fighting a war and a senator. The combined time that they actually spent together during their marriage probably wouldn't be more than a couple of days. And yet she dies because she is broken hearted that he dumps her. I would think that having two newborn kids would give her more reason to live.
  5. AniPadmeLurker Jedi Master

star 4
    We've got some non-romantics here.

I understand why some people would think that this reason is bogus, but I'm a romantic at heart...soo...

I BELIEVE!

She loves him! It was something she probably idealized and fantasized about while he was gone.
    Imagine being gone from someone you love but you can't tell anyone, even if you can tell a droid they don't really feel do they?, and now you're pregnant with his children. Everything should be OK, right?

Plus,we're dealing with the fact that Padme knows he burned the Jedi temple and might be in league with her enemy. She still feels there's good in him, but imagine finding out your husband killed a bunch of people.

I'm not totally happy she dies, believe me, of a broken heart and doesn't stick around for the kids but hey, this is all GL's idea, right?
  6. Darth_Dweebie Jedi Master

star 1
    Wait a second! Padme dies!?
  7. AniPadmeLurker Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey, just thinking for a second here...

If Palpatine knows that Padme and Anakin are married, and Ani gets mad at Padme for telling Obi-Wan...

if I were Padme, and I found that out, I'd hurt him. So Ani's a bit of a hypocrite, adding to the rest of his evilness.

Just an observation.
  8. nicole414 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yes, I'm a girl and I like Star Wars.....What? Stop looking at me like that.

haha i totally relate to your signature here.
  9. AniPadmeLurker Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, it's great when conan o'brian makes fun of SW fans and says there's no girls...it's great. But there are some out there.
  10. darth_padawan_padme Jedi Master

star 3
    Yeah like me bo.

Ever stop to think Broken Heart=Heart Attack?
  11. thenewmaster Jedi Padawan

The facts are there people. Padme is slain. In the Hero's Fall music video, if you go frame by frame, when Anakin and Obi-Wan begin their duel, she is lying on the ground. She obviously tried to stop them from fighting and Anakin accidentally killed her, which drove him over the edge and caused him to blame Obi-Wan and exact his rage on him. If this film is as "Shakespearen" as it is billed to be, Anakin must be directly responsible for her death. Face the facts people, he kills her. And I wouldn't want it any other way; it's the perfect ending.
  12. Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus

star 6
  13. Jedi_Master_Grover Jedi Master

star 3
    The reason Padme's broken heart death is unrealistic is the past two movies have built her up a strong woman. Then in the last 20 minutes of the last movie that strength just suddenly disappears and she dies because she is sad.
  14. Jedi_Master_Grover Jedi Master

star 3
    If Obi-Wan didn't walk out of her ship, would the end result have been the same. Would have choked her for disagreeing with him? Would he have let her leave?
  15. Force-Keeper Force Ghost

star 5
    That?s a good question, Grover. I think it might?ve bought her more time to reason with Anakin and it might?ve worked. But, on the other hand, the result could very well have been the same. I think that Anakin would become very frustrated with Padmè because she can?t see why Anakin did all this, that it was for her and their child. She?d still not go along with his plans for ruling the galaxy and he might end up choking her until she?s dead because of that.

But if it wasn?t for Obi-Wan both the twins and Padmè would?ve died on Mustafar.
  16. spiritgurl Jedi Master

star 4
    I posted this in the Obi-Wan thread but I thought I'd repeat it here because I think the ideas are strong possibilities for people to consider. Anyway, I really don't like the "she died of a broken heart" thing that at first glance seems to have happened and I've thought of a few alternate reasons for why she died:

1) she and Anakin were linked in such a way that when he was being operated on (at the same time she was said to have been dying) her life force was being used to keep him alive. This is kind of foreshadowed by Anakin's "I can't live without her" comment.

2) Palpatine seems to know of her death very quickly. Perhaps Palpatine was able to reach out with the force somehow and in her weakened state take her life or use her lifeforce to bring Anakin back.

3) Padme realized that if she lived Anakin would hunt her and the children down to the end of the universe. If she died however, and Anakin thought the children died with her, then her children would have a chance to be safe from Darth Vader and the Emperor. In this scenario, she has not lost the will to live as much as willed herself to die as a way to protect her children.

All stretches perhaps but not much more than "she dies of a broken heart" What do you all think?

sg
  17. DarthSkeptical Jedi Master

star 3
    I read all the bitchin' and moanin' about the "weakness" of dying of "a broken heart" and how that doesn't fit in with Padmé's strong character and I just have to laugh.

It's like you guys want to her to be strong simply for the sake of being strong--yet completely ignore what her character's been doing since we first met her in TPM.

Choosing to let go of her life is one of the very few things that any PT character does right. It is a truly unselfish act, not only for the lives of her children, but also for the good of the Republic she's spent her whole life defending. Unfortunately it comes after basically making a series of "strong" but wrong decisions throughout the first 6 hours of the saga.

From when we first meet her until the moment she's choked by Vader, Padmé has been wrong about everythning, and, at least insomuch as political matters have brought the Republic to where it is at the moment of her death, she's been critically responsible for the death of liberty to, as she eloquently puts it, "thunderous applause".

• She went against her better judgment and called for a vote of no-confidence in Vallorum. At Palpatine's urging.

• She went against her better judgment and fled from Coruscant when she should have stayed in town and fought the military buildup act. Because Palpatine told her to.

• She went against her better judgment and got involved with Anakin--something, again, that Palpatine had an obvious hand in.

• She soothed and comforted a mass murderer--Anakin--rather than using her position to secure a meeting with the Jedi Council and reveal a serious problem with one of their charges.

Nothing that happens by the end of Sith is beyond her area of personal and/or professional responsibility.

Her death on the operating table is therefore an heroic choice, because she knows by then that she is the link between Palpatine, whom she now recognizes was her professional enemy all along, and Anakin, whom she now recognizes is personally lost (if possibly redeemable) because of her choice to comfort rather than challenge.

If she removes herself from the equation, and severs the link, the kids have the only real shot they're going to have at a life free from their father's Dark influence. I honestly think she knows, as well, that she's passed on her husband's genetic Force predisposition to her kids, and that if she remains alive, Vader will find her and either turn or kill her kids. She recognizes, in a way that I don't think Leia or Mon Mothma or really any of the Rebellion ever did, that the only way to resist the Emperor successfully will be through the Jedi--and most probably through her Jedi.

It is all too easy to draw comparisons between mother and daughter, to see Leia as the narrative "mirror" to Padmé. If you do this, as may seem the obvious thing to do, you will no doubt be disappointed in the crying, fainting, givin'-up-on-life Padmé we see in Sith. But, in truth, this choice to die sacrificially foreshadows Anakin's eventual Return. For it is the evil Vader who is her metaphorical twin, not the good Princess.
  18. DARTHCLANDESTINE Jedi Master

star 3
    Hey Skep, I totally agree with you. You've said what I been thinking about. The main thing it sure does remind us about Anakin's final "selfless" act.

19. CEOMORAN Jedi Padawan

I did not like the way Padme's death was handled at all. Maybe George Lucas forgot about Leia's remembering her mother in ROTJ. To die of a broken heart was just so cliche. She shouldn't have died just then. She could have gone into hiding on Alderaan with Leia. Then maybe the movie could have skipped ahead about 3 years. (Or they could have used those 3 years to fill in all the blanks: how the Empire was formed, where did Grand Moff Tarkin come from, who started the Rebellion, ect.) Padme could have made one last effort to try to see Anakin/Darth Vader to try to find the good in him. There could have been some dramatic scene where her ship was shot down and she was mortally wounded. Darth Vader would have gone to her side and discovered he did not have the power to stop her from dying. (Palpatine really lied to him.) She could have died in his arms. That would have made more sense to me. Oh, I realize that would have made the movie a lot longer, but so what. Titanic and all the Lord of the Rings movies were that long. Wouldn't everyone have enjoyed another hour for this movie?
  20. mykillmyers Force Ghost

star 2
    Probably because she was remembering her stepmother.
  21. sithrules70 Jedi Master

star 4
    """"Probably because she was remembering her stepmother. """"

no,she wasnt,when luke asks her about if she remembers her mother he makes a huge emphasis on the "your real mother" line.

i want you people who think leia is talking about bail's wife to tell me why would leia only remeber "flashes and memories" of organa if she lived with her until she was like 20?.

leia says"only flashes,memories,she was beatiful but sad" so its obviously she is talking about Padme,its just unbelivable that some people still think leia is talking about bail'wife.

about my question up there .why would leia only remember flashes and memories of someone who she lived her entire life with?
    im still waiting for a good convincing answer.
  22. darth_mazda Jedi Padawan

the way padme died is sad she could've done so much in the galaxy and her life was cut short. I reckon she would've have been a gr8 mother to luke and Leia and who knows how differently they would've become!! "always in motion the force is" lol :p
  23. darth_mazda Jedi Padawan

maybe while she was in the womb she had a connection with the feelings padme had at that time she could've had visionsin the force but not knoe it o_O
  24. darth_mazda Jedi Padawan

since the child are strong in the force leia could have had visions of he maybe in her dreams like how luke sees yoda , obi and anakin in the end o_O
  25. lovelucas Force Ghost

star 4
    this deserves a bump up - people are still arguing about it and there is wisdom on this page
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.