main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OFFICIAL THREAD: Possible changes to TPM

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by AnaKanned_Food, Nov 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Gat

Darth-Gat Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2001
    So no one likes my idea of putting Count Dooku in TPM. I know how GL feels now, us geniuses are never appereciated in our own time!! [face_clown]

Hey as lease it was better than putting Count Dooku in at Qui-Gon's funnel. Sorry I am just lashing out now like that, us geniusus have such a bad temper when we are not appereciated!!! ;o)

Looking at TPM again, especially the deleted scenes. The scene where Anakin fights Greedo, its ashame Liam's acting was so poor. Because I would wanted that scene back in as well, as long they change Greedo's name, because how old would Greedo be in ANH? Maybe that would explains why he miss Han Solo at such close range?

I understand why GL wants his films around the 2 hour mark, but he did edit TPM too much!! The flow of TPM is very jerky, if he put in just 2 or 3 of our ideas it may make TPM flow a lot better!! Especially at the begining of the film!!!

2. BizAOK

BizAOK Jedi Master star 1

Nov 5, 2001
    From yesterday's (1/17/05) update to The Digital Bits...
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

"A bit of DVD news today... It looks as if 20th Century Fox is going to be reissuing Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace and Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones on disc on 3/22. These will both be the same DVD editions as were previously released, in separate anamorphic widescreen and full frame editions. Why 3/22? Well, the animated Star Wars: Clone Wars, Vol. 1 arrives on DVD on 3/22 as well. It's all part of the retail build-up to the theatrical debut of Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith on 5/19."

Important part is that these will be the same DVD editions as before. I was hoping we would see the oft-rumored CGI Yoda. But no. It appears that any prequel film changes will have to wait, if they ever happen it all.

3. Darth-Gat

Darth-Gat Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2001
    I think you are forgetting the AE editions which GL wants to do after ROTS!!!! Here in the UK we can get the DVD editions of TPM and AOTC, which were released after the DVD boxset of the OT came out.

4. Tatooine_Fireman

Tatooine_Fireman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2003
    Aside from the "less Jar Jar", "cut poopjokes" and "insert Dooku somewhere" (yes, I am guilty of those as well :p ), maybe it would be cool of GL could add some scenes that set up the story of AOTC a bit.
    Maybe in the Senate scene, he could have some Senators (Bail Organa?) mention that some systems are planning to seperate from the Republic. When we see the openingcrawl of AOTC after watching TPM, we can fill in the blanks as to what happened between the two movies.
    Maybe they could also include Sifo-Dyas somewhere in the movie. They could mention Dyas' death in the discussion of the return of the Sith in the Jedi Council.
    These two changes would also connect TPM a bit more with AOTC, since there is such a huge timegap between the two movies.

5. war_monger

war_monger Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 26, 2003
    There's no need for Dooku at the funeral, his connection to the story is explained adequately in AotC. Qui-Gon cutting the droid should be re-inserted, along with Maul trying to get onto the ship. Cut out a good deal of the unnecessary stupidity. CGI Yoda also makes a great deal of sense.

Oh yeah- give T3h P00f a line. :D

6. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I always thought it was stupid that no one in the Council speaks except Yoda, Mace and Ki-Adi-Mundi...

whostheBossk likes this.
  7. FRANKTHERABBIT

FRANKTHERABBIT Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2004
    TPM is near perfect! AOTCs is the one link in the SW saga that needs lots of repair! :)

My three cents!

:)

8. Hudnall

Hudnall Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 23, 2004
    Numero Uno: Reedit the film and pace the time between shots effectively.

2) Have the Neimoidians speak Neimoidian with subtitles and kill the bad accents.

3) Give Maul more lines or do something more earlier in the film.

4) Make the invasion seem like an actual invasion.

5) Have Obi show up for the pod race at the last menace and be "amazed" by how strongly the Force flowed through him.

6) Add Dooku to funeral scene. I don't care if it contradicts AOTC. AOTC is a living contradiction to itself and the entire Saga.

9. Sapno Krei

Sapno Krei Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 23, 1999
    Just reviving an older thread.

I do hope that GL is considering re-editing this movie. I mean, the whole purpose of the SEs in 1997 was to fix problems he saw with the OT, and we the fans really didn't think all of those changes needed to happen. Wouldn't it make more sense to redo the one film in the series that rubs the most people the wrong way?

Simple things -- a lost "Yippee!" here and a trimmed Jar Jar exclamation there would do wonders. THE PHANTOM EDIT guy was on the right track, but even he had his limitations. He could only take out, not replace.

Re-edited versions of movies have slipped unnoticed under our noses for years. Look at how many versions of SUPERMAN and BLADE RUNNER there were!

Hopefully, GL will quietly release an improved version of TPM to DVD without making a big deal out of it. We may all be pleasantly surprised.

10. Sapno Krei

Sapno Krei Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 23, 1999
    Not a hater, just throwing in some more suggestions for this (currently fantastical) re-edit/special edition of TPM...

1. More shots of the Naboo people during the invasion. I found myself not caring one bit about this planet which was being overrun. Why? Because the citizens hardly get any screen time! Unfortunately, GL focuses on the big picture -- the Queen and her attendants and advisors -- rather than on the common folk and their plight. It would be quite a simple thing to trim down some of the terminally boring meetings ("Negotiation? We've lost all communications!" *snore*) in favor of shots of the Naboo in their natural element.

2. One of the the big weaknesses of TPM is GL's habit of telling, rather than showing. We hear Boss Nass talk about conflict between the Gungans and the Naboo, but we don't see this prejudice in action. Why not have more on-the-street evidence of the rift between the two species? It would make their joining forces at the end much more satisfying.

3. Give the ground battle scenes more heft and weight. The Naboo battle between the Gungans and droids seems so impersonal and chaotic, with the camera pulled back to take in all the action (I think Peter Jackson did a better job of suggesting danger and action with his intimate LOTR battle scenes). It doesn't help that the primary focus in these scenes is Mr. Binks, either. Perhaps more action involving Captain Tarpals?

4. Same with the space battle scenes. Yes, Anakin is the main focus there too, but they could have given more of the Naboo fighters something to do other than react. Remember, Wedge was a "major minor" player in the OT.

5. Finally, why not more scenes on the ground featuring the Naboo soldiers and Gungans working together? Wasn't their cooperation a major theme of the movie?

I suppose the biggest thing missing from TPM is the sense of urgency of the Naboo people's situation. As it stands now, their dilemma is set up so limply that we really have no stake in their survival.

Make us care, GL!

whostheBossk likes this.
  11. lookatitthisway

lookatitthisway Jedi Youngling

Mar 23, 2005
    anyone will realize the fact that the cg settings with the real people differed so much that it was actually boring ....yoda should get a cool puppet with cg on it .

12. BizAOK

BizAOK Jedi Master star 1

Nov 5, 2001
    Sapno Krei wrote: "One of the the big weaknesses of TPM is GL's habit of telling, rather than showing."

I have felt that way about this movie for years, too. It's odd when you think about it, considering Lucas has always boasted about Star Wars films being like silent movies (read: music only, no spoken dialogue).

Bring Ray Park in for three days, get him in his garb and have him torture some citizens just to show us the "suffering" that Padme's lead governor says is going on. As things stand now, we don't see innocent, everyday people on Naboo actually die. At a minimum, at least show our heroes re-entering the orbit of Naboo admist mass burning trees and buildings in its wilderness. (This would really show the before/after effect of what has happened to Naboo under the Trade Federation's watch, and could all be done digitally without any actors.)

And whatever happened to that "full overhaul" of the Phantom Menace that we were told was coming?

13. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Moving to PT forum...

14. AnakinBrego

AnakinBrego Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2004
    I only have two changes, make Yoda digital. Then remove or update the new podrace scenes that were added to the DVD. That's it! :D

15. Tyranus22

Tyranus22 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 3, 2005
    The one and only change, in my opinion, that The Phantom Menace is crying out for is REPLACE THE PUPPET YODA WITH FULLY CG YODA!!!!!

16. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    I think the only thing that can be improved by an edit of TPM is take out some of Jar Jar's ridiculous, unnecessary shots (triple flip into the lake, stepping in poop), and change his voice if possible.

Also, get rid of all the added pod race stuff, and change the voice or character of the announcer.

I think those things can be done, and really, that's all that should be changed.

As for AOTC, I think that's a great movie. A few CGI shots could be fixed up, but really, the only thing that seriously hampered this movie was Portman's performance.

Also, in a special edition, replace the tracked music. Other than that, I'm set.

17. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    A few CGI shots could be fixed up

The one I think of is that matte painting interior whe Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Mace are talking.

18. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    This is for TPM. There is a SE Changes thread for AOTC.

19. grievious

grievious Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 27, 2005

Put Padme in that white jump-suit, instead of that dress...

that's all =P~

20. StormTrooper1776

StormTrooper1776 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    1.Make the plot more easy to understand,it confuses alot of people.

2.CGI Yoda.

3.Darth Maul/Sidious with alot more dialogue.

4.Show the people of Naboo suffering.

5.Show the Naboo soldiers teaming up with the Gungans too fight the droid army.

6.Give JarJar and all of the Gungans subtitles when they talk.No toilet humor,no annoying words.

7.Edit out Anakin saying Yeepee,and other annoying words that comes out of his mouth.

8.Extend the duel.

9.Extend the desert duel.

10.Make the space fight actually cooler.Show some awesome dogfights.

11.Dooku should be in the movie somewhere.

whostheBossk likes this.
  21. DarthPlagues

DarthPlagues Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2005
    Cut some stuff but do not cut Ben Quadrinaros
    That guy is funny looking

22. Panaka_kicked_Padme

Panaka_kicked_Padme Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2005
    I dont care what universe your from. thats gotta hurt

23. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    1. CGI Yoda (sounds like this will happen. In the Making of ROTS, they replaced the puppet Yoda with the CGI as 'practice')
    2. Add Dooku somewhere (probably not)

That's it for me for TPM.

24. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I think the only place that Dooku could fit in would be the funeral scene. However, unless they could somehow work in aklready existing footage of Chris Lee, I don't think that it'll happen.

25. Tyranus22

Tyranus22 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 3, 2005
    I REALLY wish they'd make an announcement regarding the Boxsets now, in particular regarding TPM yoda replacement! You could take the "Making Of ROTS" quote and McAllum's Hyperspace, TPM digital yoda replacement answer - "easy to see the future for you is" - as semi confirmation but I'd love proper confirmation saying something like : yes there will be a PT DVD Boxset and Saga DVD Boxset released in November and yes TPM will be updated with a fully digital yoda! (+ maybe at a push - TPM will have a cleaned up transfer and the lightsabre effects in the OT will be fixed ONCE AND FOR ALL!!) I'd be soooo happy if this was the case![face_praying]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.