main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*OFFICIAL THREAD* Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan vs Darth Maul

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by lightthunder1, Nov 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Alright. My local Barnes and Noble didn't have Jedi vs. Sith so I'll remind you.

2. Obi-Wan-1000

Obi-Wan-1000 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005
    Does anyone know if there where any scenes that were cut out of the duel?

3. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I didn't know any scenes were cut out of Duel of the Fates.

4. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    There is some unfinished extended footage flaoting around the net. Methinks the best place to find it would be here on TBone's Star Wars site.

5. Obi-Wan-1000

Nov 11, 2005
    I am not sure if there were any cut out at all so I was just wondering if Lucas cut out any scenes from this duel like he did with the Anakin and Obi-wan duel.

6. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    There's a very cool but brief shot of Maul flipping upwards on the "deleted scenes documentary" on the TPM disk 2.

7. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    From tbone's...

"The end duel, as you may know, went through various changes during the writing and producing of EPISODE I. In one draft, Darth Maul had a lot more dialogue and used the Force quite a bit. Obi-Wan also hurled stuff around, etc.

There is some cut footage from the duel that has resurfaced, however.

The total amount of cut footage is unknown at this time, but most of the clips that have surfaced are very short. One is taken from a television show called "Ultimate Special Effects" which aired on the TLC Cable Station, and the other is taken from the TV commercial spot called "One Destiny" which you might have seen on television when EPISODE I was in theaters."

Here are 2 cut images, and one ad pic.

[image=http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n107/SithStarSlayer/JediLeapingTheed.jpg]

[image=http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n107/SithStarSlayer/dmhangarduel9_lg.jpg]

[image=http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n107/SithStarSlayer/KenobiVersusMaulTatooine.jpg]

And there is this info about what was changed in the duel of the fates:

The duel at the end of the film went through many, many changes. It was very different in the beginning and much more involved. One of the more interesting versions is the one where (according to the EPISODE I Insider's Guide), after Qui-Gon is killed, Destroyer Droids and Battle Droids enter the battle and start shooting it up. Maul says to Obi-Wan, "You're finished, Jedi, and this is the beginning of the end for all Jedi." Then Obi-Wan leaps backward into the crowd of droids. Before they can do much damage, however, Anakin (and Padmé in this version) destroy the control ship, deactivating the droids and sending them running into the walls.

Maul starts to cut the droids down to get to Obi-Wan while Obi-Wan starts using the Force to hurl some battle droids at Maul! When they get back to each other again, Obi-Wan says, "Your style of fighting is old, but I understand it now..." to which Maul replies, "You learn fast."

Obi-Wan comes back with, "You don't bother to learn," but the cocky Maul retorts, "I don't have to..." At this point, Obi-Wan cuts Maul in half and gives him the nice little posthumous "Arnold" anecdote, "Learn not...live not, my master always says."

To give you another small taste of what might have been, here's a snippet taken from Starwars.com where Nick Gillard talks briefly about the confrontation and how it changed:

"Whenever you see anybody fighting near a big hole, it's a pretty sure bet someone's going to go over the edge," Gillard says. However, originally it wasn't Obi-Wan who was going to plunge. "It was going to be Qui-Gon going over and hanging, and then coming back and having another fight, and then getting killed. But that seemed unnecessary. What we came up with was just more economical, and I think, really better for the audience."

Maul had a much better death before it got changed.

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Yuck.

9. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    lol, I actually kind of like that!

10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    OBI-WAN: "Learn not, live not, my master always says. Right, master? Oh, that's right... you LIVE NOT. D'oh!"

:rolleyes:

11. Imperial Politician

Imperial Politician Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 9, 1999
    The battle always seemed like out of place without any dialog.

It seems odd for the Sith to avoid boasting during a battle, as if they were concentrating and in the moment. Seems like it would have been more recognizable if Maul had been more like Destro. While he was never as cartoonie as Cobra Commander, he couldn't help but boast during battle.

There is the bad guy archetype, that is not fully fleshed out for Maul. I think that hurt his character, and the final battle.

While the OB-1 line discuss above appears corny, it fits more in line than an absolute absence of dialogue between the combatants.

12. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I concur.
    Maul was the only Sith Lord to hit the mute button for an entire duel... doesn't fit in with the other 5 films. Any witty reparte' would have been sweet.

13. Obi-Wan-1000

Nov 11, 2005
    I think it's wierd that Maul did not talk at all during the duel. The Jedi and a Sith meet and they don't say anything. Kind of strange.

14. EECHUUTA

EECHUUTA Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2007
    I think its better that he doesn't say much of anything during the movie, it makes him mysterious and adds to his coolness. Even when he does speak, his voice has a bit of a whispery quietness to it. I think that not only makes him cool, it makes him creepy and a bit chilling at the same time.

Boba Fett would probably not be as much of a fanboy hit if he was more talkative in the movies. He had like three or four lines, and that was about it I think. But he was cool.

15. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
  16. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    I didn't mind Darth Maul not talking. IT was kinda cool; but to be honest, the first time I saw it, I thought he couldn't talk - like it was something his species couldn't do. It would have been funny to see him and Jar Jar locked up in a room together - well until Maul shut him up the hard way, lol. But anyway, this fight was good, it was sad to see Qui-Gon die; but great to see Obi-Wan vanquish Maul cutting him in half (in a good guy v. bad guy way). I think the only problem is we never got to see Maul except the two times and he was like "mystery man". So it didn't seem like he was all that big a deal to defeat, especially if you figured Qui-Gon lost because he was older. Of course later we realize he was a talented Sith (2nd to Palpy), but I think the movie could have made that clearer from the start - at that point we couldn't be certain about the rule of two and Maul could have been one of many.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.