main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*OFFICIAL THREAD* Qui-Gon in ROTS

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Ben R, Feb 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    IMO, ROTS could have continued with the idea of Qui-Gon only "coming through clearly" because of Anakin's pain.
    In AOTC we hear Qui-Gon's reaction to the Tusken incident; in the Clone Wars, we get a glimpse of his reaction to Anakin's duel with Ventress. However, in ROTS, we don't get any Qui-Gon reaction when Anakin turns, or when he is burned up. Has Anakin's turn lent strength to the DS and thus caused Qui-Gon's influence to "recede" in some way?
    It could have been developed that Qui-Gon was only truly "accessible" after Mustafar, but at present this is only one possible interpretation, one which contradicts certain EU books.

2. Phantom_Menace

Phantom_Menace Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2007
    I have often wanted to have Qui-Gon back in ROTS. I do respect GL decision though and don't think it is absolutely necessary. Maybe it will be added in the boxset version of the saga. That is really one of the only things have thought I would like to change about ROTS.(The other: I need more Count Dooku in ROTS!)

3. DarthGimpy

DarthGimpy Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 17, 2004
    Good thread, I think Qui-Gon's voice should absolutely have been included for continuity's sake, and I thought Liam Neeson was terrific in Episode I, by the way... one of the highlights amidst some rather annoying problems.

It doesn't look like he'll ever be included though, and I guess we have to accept the good with the bad, because overall I love the movies. I wish the movies were expanded a bit more in length and developed some issues and characters more. The movies have potential to be even more than they are, in my opinion, but it is what it is.

As it says in a new article about the speical coming up at the end of the month on the History channel about Star Wars, it is a lot more than just some science fiction movie, it is a complex story about power, politics, evil, love, spirituality, redemption; it has Shakespearean qualities in the power of the story and you couldn't ask for better or more powerful music that is created, which turns the story into a Shakespeare/Richard Wagner hybrid, with the strength of the music and the musical motifs that signify characters or things (Luke's theme, Yoda's theme, Force theme, etc.)

It is a story that shouldn't have to be put into a tiny, neat package. It shouldn't sprawl, but it should tell a full story, one that is fitting of the epic tale that it is.

4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It wasn't because of the run time. It has to do with the flow of the movie. It's jarring going from the speed of things from the moment of the Temple raid to the end of the film, stopping with Yoda and Qui-gon talking. Even the best directors and editors will tell you that if a scene stops the flow of the movie, it's not worth keeping in, no matter how important or unimportant it is. If it was a run time issue, Lucas would've put it in the DVD.

As to Neeson, his only issue was having done two films back to back featuring blue/green screen work. The majority of his films prior to TPM and The Haunting had little to do with effects. Only Darkman and Excalibur, which didn't have as much in the way of effects as the latter films. Otherwise, he had no real complaints.

5. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    Well, Sinister, flow is a matter of directoral vision and film editing. I do not presume to technically know more than Lucas or his editors Roger Barton and Ben Burtt. I only know what I as a fan felt would have worked for my movie-going experience and the experience of those of my friends and family who were less 'into' the 3SA secrets and complete saga history.

The success of ROTS stands as solid testimony that much resonated with the ticket holding public. Still, the continuity between ROTS force ghosts and a verbal/mental appearance by Qui-Gon would have done much for future viewers of the saga who will watch it in numerical order, I-VI. As it is, some inference is required, or some homework, or a reading of the shooting script or the novel in order to know precisely what Yoda was experiencing on Polliss massa while meditating before Bail walked in on him.

6. AL_Patterson

AL_Patterson Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 18, 2007
    I heard that Neeson didn't like Ep I and didn't want to do the voice over for ROTS. Is this true?

7. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    No. As I said earlier, Neeson didn't have a problem other than finding it difficult to do green/blue screen work. These were the same feelings Ewan MacGregor has as well. Neeson was pleased to do the film and had no problem providing his voice should Lucas needed it. There was an article that showed up following Neeson's motorcycle accident, which alledged that he wouldn't do anymore SW films as he supposedly said that he had a disappointment in TPM. But actual quotes were never posted. In journalism, it is easy to fake quotes to suit your needs. See the film "Shattered Glass". Neeson in early 05 continued to indicate that his "Jedi vow of silence" prevented him from speaking about his return for ROTS. This was the same thing he said in 1999. He attended a SW charity benefit, which he would have no reason to do, if he and Lucas had a falling out. He also agreed to do the Saga cast photo, for the cover of Vanity Fair.

8. AL_Patterson

AL_Patterson Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 18, 2007
    Thanks for the answer.

Oh yeah and I forgot his voice was in AOTC until just watched it today

9. dude4c

dude4c Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2003
    not only do i think he should be in rots, but i also would like to here a single mention of him by obiwan in the ot. As far as the saga goes, Jinn was the 1st jedi we see, and he discovered the chosen one. it's pretty significant saga wise.

10. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Qui-gon's role is done by the OT. There's little more that he could contribute. Besides, Alec Guiness is dead and Frank Oz sounds a lot older, which would be noticeable in the OT.

11. Yodas_Got_Bed_Head

Yodas_Got_Bed_Head Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 18, 2004
    I hear what you're saying Sinister but I think dude4c has a point. For me, maybe it's sentimental but what Qui-Gon discovered (and taught Yoda & Obi-Wan) is a major event in the saga. I know there's no way to have Qui-Gon mentioned in the OT but it feels like his importance gets glossed over somehow. Maybe I'm looking from an incorrect point of view but wasn't Qui-Gon more than just a "maverick" Jedi?

12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Qui-gon was a Jedi who started to approach the Force from a different view than the other Jedi had. And because of this, he was able to help his two closest friends help Luke. Qui-gon could not help Luke, which is why Obi-wan never discussed his former Master. Just Yoda, who was the first Jedi to teach him the ways of the Force. Qui-gon had shown Obi-wan how to use his abilities as a Jedi, while out in the feild.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.