main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*OFFICIAL THREAD* Roles of R2-D2 and C3-PO

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by shinjo_jedi, Jul 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    he wants everyone to know the owen never sees R2.

Watch again. Owen,Beru and Padme are staring straight at R2.

2. mloradites

mloradites Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 25, 2001
    i just saw this:
    Anthony Daniels (C-3PO) revealed to the official Star Wars Web site that his character will have the last word in the upcoming final prequel film Star Wars: Episode III?Revenge of the Sith, and in the same set on which he had the first line in Episode IV?A New Hope.

here:http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.php?category=0&id=30368
    in the sidebar

although i am having trouble finding it on his site:http://www.anthonydaniels.com

interesting nonetheless, what could those words be, is it the scene referenced on MF about memory wiping?

3. BothofUs

BothofUs Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    oh dear

4. Thanat0s

Thanat0s Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    Watch again. Owen,Beru and Padme are staring straight at R2.

yea but its quite a few years between rots and anh, it would be like almost being hit by a car then seeing it years later, its highly doubtful that you would remember that car

5. darth_java

darth_java Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 14, 2004
    Why are we assuming that Owen doesn't recognize 3P0 in ANH? Don't you remember when he says, "You, I suppose your programmed for etiquette and protocol." Followed by, "I have no need for a protocol droid." If that's so, why even bother talking to 3PO? He had no use for most of the droids there but he didn't talk to all of them. My theory; we all know how vocal 3PO is about his expert functions. He babbles about being fluent in 6,000,000 forms of communication, etc etc. Own DID recognize 3PO and was trying to pick on him because he remembered how 3PO bragged about himself all the time.

3PO then talks about his other functions and Owen probably just thinks, "WHat the heck. I'll buy him since his memory has obviously been erased and he was a good droid years ago when we had him last." And since 3PO was so insistent on having R2 join him, owen surrendered to buy him too.

6. SWFanatic51905

SWFanatic51905 Jedi Youngling

Feb 19, 2005
    I just watched A New Hope last night and i found it odd that even tho c3po has his memory erased and so did r2d2 uncle owen or aunt beru doesnt even remember them. but i kinda thought maybe most droids look alike and threepio did have the gold plating and its just funny they dont even act like they remember at all since they saw them on episode 2 on tatooine

7. BothofUs

BothofUs Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    Anyone know what R2 does in the middle of the movie?

We know that 3PO will be with Padme and the Rebel Alliance people....Will R2 be with Anakin or with Padme?

8. joelwatts

joelwatts Jedi Youngling

Mar 17, 2005
    Been catching up on old threads. Okay- R2 is programmed to say Obi Wan is his owner to help facilitate the quickest meeting with Obi. Owen is no help becuase he knows Obi Wan, and immediately orders Luke to wipe the memory. Princess Leia pragrammed R2 that way because she thought it would help when he was picked up, he would claim to belong to Obi Wan, Obi Wan would be summoned to the lost and found, and given his "droid." That would have been a lot easier than R2 searching the entire planet for Obi Wan.

Second point- 3PO and R2 are two of countless numbers of droids across the galaxy. OT heroes become close to them and thus remember their numbers as names. The only other character who was close enough emotionally to remember was Anakin, and he has little to no interaction with the droids in the OT.

For Owen to remember either of them 20 years later would be like us remembering the serial number of the toaster we had 20 years ago. Owen is like an old farmer. He knows he once had a tractor, and it was green, a John Deer, but heck if he can remember the model number. Besides, everybody he knows had a green John Deer, so what's the big deal?

9. overmydeadbody

overmydeadbody Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 19, 2004
    "For Owen to remember either of them 20 years later would be like us remembering the serial number of the toaster we had 20 years ago."

WRONG! Threepio was with the Lars family for something like 8 years. He WOULD remember him you would think. However, I think Lucas may have simply tried to skirt the issue by having Threepio's coverings different in AOTC. Of course, no-one in their right mind would forget Threepio's voice. We know protocol droids have different voices.

10. r8hitman

r8hitman Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2004
    What really has me curious is when the visual dictionary mentions Anakin doing some kind of modifications to R2. [face_thinking]

11. Force-Keeper

Force-Keeper Jedi Master star 5

Jun 16, 2004
    I?m really hoping the modification?s that Anakin made were the ones that help Luke and the rest of the crew get out of those tight jams in the OT. Like the saw that he uses to cut Luke, Han, Chewie and the droids down from the net on Endor or the contraption that allows R2 to shoot Luke?s lightsaber out of his dome. I think that would be really cool.

12. lenlenlen1

lenlenlen1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2005
    Forget the gold plating for C3PO and the jets for R2D2. I'll bet those issues wont even be discussed. As to their memories Its easy enough to erase computer memory banks. Maybe Obi Wan does it to them so that their memories wont be used by the villains somehow.

However its harder to explain why Uncle Owen doesnt seem to recognise that he already had a droid named C3PO or why Obi Wan himself doesnt even seem to recognise either of them in A NEW HOPE. Ya got me there. I'll bet that wont be addressed either though. My guess: Maybe... Senility?

Lots of contradictions. I mean, the whole idea that Anakin is actually C3PO's creator in the first place is kind of silly to begin with.

13. lenlenlen1

lenlenlen1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2005
    I just read this on another post:

"For Owen to remember either of them 20 years later would be like us remembering the serial number of the toaster we had 20 years ago. Owen is like an old farmer. He knows he once had a tractor, and it was green, a John Deer, but heck if he can remember the model number. Besides, everybody he knows had a green John Deer, so what's the big deal?"

no offense but thats crazy! C3PO is more than a toaster or tractor. He talks, he walks, he conveys ideas and interacts with people. For all intents and purposes he IS a person. You honestly think because you havent seen someone in 20 years that you'd TOTALLY forget them? Someone that you interacted with for years? C3PO worked on his farm for at least a few years at the point that he's seen in AOTC. You'd forget that annoying (in a good way) personality that he has? AND his looks? AND his name? Everything? Not unless youre senile!

This is just another great Lucas contradiction, and I bet it wont even be dealt with in ROTS. Not that I'm gonna let that spoil the movie for me!

14. kN3eLb4Z0d

kN3eLb4Z0d Jedi Youngling

Nov 25, 2004
    The only thing is, is C3P0 never mentions his "name" to Owen in ANH, at least, on camera. There's a cut to R2 at one point where he slowly rotates his head toward them, which I can now interpret in two ways: 1. He was hoping 3P0 would say something so he'd get chosen so he could continue on his "secret mission", and/or 2. He was wondering if Owen recognized either of them.

15. Jedi_Night_Tempest

Jedi_Night_Tempest Jedi Youngling

Mar 28, 2005
    I'm new to this forum but may i make a suggestion (this may have been brought up before but i didnt see anyone mention this in this thred)

If 3P0 had his memory wiped how would he remember that he was in the clone wars as mentioned when luke first brings him out of cleaning tank (or wateva)

"You were in the clone wars tell me about it"

"I could but im no good at story teling"

somthin to that extent im not going to quote it word for word

(it is also funny that he dosnt tell that story but when it comes to telling the Ewoks a story he starts from when he meets luke)

so this helps the argument and dosnt lol

but still this movie was made 20 years ago who knew what was going to happen its still an extremly good movie even if 3P0 gets a wipe or not

GL didnt know that he would make the PT when he made ANH he didnt even know if he was going to make TESB up until a couple of months before the story of ANH was frist turned to script it was "LUKE STARKILLER" i doubted that he was thinkin hmmm in 20 years time will people be bikering about 3P0's memory when there about to see the ultimate fight between OBI-WAN and DARTH VADER

Thanks kN3eLb4Z0d he dosnt mention his name but also did you notice that the name of the planet isnt revealed to until episode VI when they land to go to Jabba's palace even then they dont mention that there back on the planet they were only on a couple of days ago

16. HDX

HDX Jedi Youngling

Sep 7, 2003
    "You were in the clone wars tell me about it"

"I could but im no good at story teling"

somthin to that extent im not going to quote it word for word

You are misquoting the dialog

It is really

LUKE: Have you been in many battles?

THREEPIO: Several, I think. Actually, there's not much to tell. I'm
    not much more than an interpreter, and not very good at telling
    stories. Well, not at making them interesting, anyways.

C3PO never says he was in the clone wars.

17. Darth_Fee

Darth_Fee Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2005
    Does R2D2 know who Darth Varder is? In the Episode 3 Visual dictionary it says that R2D2 and Anakin are very fond of each other, and Obi-wan is amazed in how much R2D2 likes Anakin. So does he know that Darth Vader is anakin? wonder how he fells about it :(

18. JediPrettyBoy

JediPrettyBoy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005
    Vader notices R2 helping out the rebellion in the trench battle in ANH which is why he blows his head off.

19. Boba Jr

Boba Jr Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 1998
    Vader notices R2 helping out the rebellion in the trench battle in ANH which is why he blows his head off.

IMO, Vader couldn't tell he was shooting at this son and his own former astromech.

20. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Up for redundant page one thread.

21. CliffnMichelle

CliffnMichelle Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2005
    How many times does R2 have to save Obi Wan's ass before the old fart remembers him LOL,

In ANH - "I dont recall ever owning any droids" Whats that about!!!

Show a little gratitide Obi Wan!!

22. starwarsagent

starwarsagent Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    3po was absolutely amazing. he didnt get into things too much and was just there doing his thing. he gets his memory erased and begins work on the blockade runner.

I think those two droids spend the next 20 years working for bail antilles on the alderaan ship. maybe working on the loadlifters as 3po once said that was his job.

Sad how they stay in one place and are abandoned. Why did Obi Wan just give them to Bail Organa?

But in the end(ROTJ) they are happily dancing and finally have a true owner luke skywalker.

23. Jedi_Aron_Tylander

Jedi_Aron_Tylander Jedi Youngling star 3

May 29, 2004
    Why didn't Bail consider wiping R2's mind? Is C3P0 just too afraid of torture (ROTJ) or he was just too talkative?

24. Jedi_Aron_Tylander

Jedi_Aron_Tylander Jedi Youngling star 3

May 29, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.