main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*OFFICIAL THREAD* RotS Soundtrack Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Pooja, Aug 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Notice I didn't call it "official." ;)

EDIT: You can now

[image=http://apotheosis.tv/files/Revenge%20of%20the%20Sith%20Mock-up%20Score%20Cover1.jpg]

It is my understanding that the big wait at the moment concerning Revenge of the Sith is, in addition to the actual movie itself, the teaser and theatrical trailers. We're all dying for video footage, for new information we haven't learned of yet, etc. That's at the top of everyone's list -- it's near the top of mine as well.

I say near the top because there's something I'm anticipating just as much, if not even more than the trailers - and that's the John Williams score for the movie. Getting the soundtrack on merchandise day is something I always look forward to a great deal. I've always loved the soundtrack covers, the CD designs, the booklets - and of course, most of all, the actual music.

Some have argued that the music for Episodes IV - VI were far better and more memorable. I would tend to agree, except for the fact that we're still watching movies that occur within that same storyline, and that, because of IV - VI, we already have a decent amount of established themes and whatnot. In addition, I've found the themes in Episode I and II to be just as nice and memorable. I would also argue that the arrangements for the newer soundtracks are better, because of more sophisticated and modern recording techniques as well as a more diverse instrumental selection. There are clearly more instruments being used in the newer soundtracks than in the older ones.

Of course, none of that matters when it comes down to thematics, and as I said above, I believe the newer scores have great themes, such as Anakin's Theme, Duel of the Fates (of course), the Trade Federation march, the love theme in Episode II (don't know whether to call that Across the Stars or not, was there ever a verdict?), Anakin and Padme's theme, and the rest is basically themes from IV - VI, but that's alright -- I enjoy the connection.

Moving on, we know of several key sequences in Revenge of the Sith. When one considers the music for Revenge of the Sith, one of the first things that comes to mind is naturally the climactic battle between Anakin and Obi-Wan, and there's nothing wrong with that. There has been many of a topic concerning music for that battle, so I'd like to go on to other things: a possible theme for General Grievous, a Kashyyyk theme, a space battle theme, a theme for Tion Medon/his race, and a "lava planet" theme (yes, I know it's called Mustafar according to spy reports, but I'd rather be safe about it instead of claiming to know the name of the planet before it is revealed by official sources).

There are, of course, scenes which we know of that won't necessarily require theme music, such as the battles on Kashyyyk (which could actually feature a faster paced variation of a Kashyyyk theme), the Anakin and Count Dooku bout aboard the Trade Federation cruiser, the confrontation with General Grievous in the same sequence, the escape from the crashing cruiser, Anakin causing a world of pain to the Separatist leaders on the lava planet (I think the Shelob's Lair track on the Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King soundtrack would fit this perfectly), Obi-Wan and Grievous' final confrontation, the scenes between Anakin and Padme (likely to use a smaller scale rendition of the love theme in Attack of the Clones, mostly), and etc.

Kashyyyk:
    Since Kashyyyk is the first tropical atmosphere in a Star Wars movie, I feel that John Williams will match said atmosphere with tropical music. Some could think that the Ewok music was tropical, but I found that to sound more tribal than anything - I'm talking pure tropical music. This may not sound well to many of you, but I don't mean John Williams should break out into the hula - just a tropical, tribal theme, I think, would work very well. It's not like the entire movie has to be drowned in dark thematics.

General Grievous:
    Now, here's a character deserving of his own theme, and a freaky, somber one at t

2. JediPriestess

JediPriestess Jedi Master star 4

Jul 28, 2004
    as long as "the duel" uses Duel of the Fates Im good. :) I love Williams works, he is an exceptional composer.

3. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    See, I wouldn't mind if "Fates" was part of the final battle - but I certainly don't want it to just be completely reused for it. I'd like an original composition for the final lightsaber fight.

4. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Did'nt someone say that "Duel of the Fates" would have a big role in ROTS way back when TPM first came out? I seem to recall hearing that, because a lot of people thought it would fit better in the third movie.

5. irishd2

irishd2 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2004
    Nice art Pooja, and good ideas.

Cant wait for April 2nd...

6. JediPriestess

Jul 28, 2004
    surely Williams would do that...add a little something special for this movie...I'd rather not see it just completely reused either. But I will be HUGELY dissapointed if it isnt a good part of that scene. and btw nice cover art ;)

7. Padawan_Lamer

Padawan_Lamer Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    Not a bad fanart cover there Pooja! And good post too! I am waiting for the soundtrack as well.

8. Kurtmajister

Kurtmajister Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 10, 2004
    Who thinks a slow play of the main part of Imperial march will play as the helmet is lowered onto Anakin, making him Vader

That would be for me a truly defining moment of the movie.

9. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    ...as long as it's a slow and moody version of the Imperial March. But honestly, I'd prefer dead silence in that scene, if nothing else. Something eerie perhaps.

10. Tattered

Tattered Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 9, 2004
    I just want the John Williams soundtrack to be given room to breathe. When he's not cut up or rushed, he truly shines. Azkaban was his best work in a long time.

Here's hoping he has enough time and control to shine!

11. ome

ome Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 2004
    haven't you guys noticed...with no offence to you at all Pooja...there are other threads about it...and if i'm correct...3 of them who weren't locked...anyway...jon williams rocks!!!!!!!and pooja rocks too!!!!!!

12. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Speaking of which, I actually got approval from DarthSapient first.

13. ome

ome Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 2004
    oh...sorry then mate...

14. JediPriestess

Jul 28, 2004
  15. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    When Will John Williams Begin to Record the Score...? Has He Even Begun to Write it Yet??

16. ome

ome Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 2004
    i think he has started...i mean....he must have...

17. Kazmyth

Kazmyth Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 31, 2003
    What I'd love to hear is a few cuts from the final duel in RotJ in there somplace. Really tie it in. =)

18. Darth_Leeda

Darth_Leeda Jedi Master star 3

Nov 8, 2002
    See, I wouldn't mind if "Fates" was part of the final battle - but I certainly don't want it to just be completely reused for it. I'd like an original composition for the final lightsaber fight.

Yes, I do see "Duel of the Fates" as part of the Final Duel sequence. But let's look at the music for Luke's final charge toward's Vader from ROTJ.

While Luke hides, we hear the haunting Double Bass/Bassoon line as Vader reads Luke's mind to find out about his "Sister". When Luke screams "Nooooo...!", the choir joins in on the haunting theme, ever rising until it's climax when Luke Defeats Vader at Saber point.

Then, when Vader finally truly embraces the Light Side of the Force for the first time in his life (When he goes to pick up Palps and throw him down the shaft), we hear the force them in all it's glory!

Whoa.. Just got chills.

Now, how could that be paralled in ROTS with the OB1/Anakin duel.

How bout this:

For 75% of the fight we hear a reworked version of "Duel of the Fates". Then there's a pause perhaps with some sublte background music, as OB1 tries one last time to talk his friend back to the light side. Then suddenly, Anakin flips out and the final surge of the final duel begins, perhaps with some rising choral theme like in ROTJ, that may or may not contain elements of "Duel of the Fates". In this "home stretch" of the "Final Duel", OB1 and Anakin fight with all of their might, until OB1 beats Anakin leaving him hanging on a ledge over a pool of lava.

At this point, The music has reached it's climax. Then when Anakin falls into the Lava, OB1 realizes his friend is lost and we hear (Contrary to the force theme in ROTJ) either the Dark Side Theme... Dooh, Dooh, Doooh... ....Dooh, Dooh, Dooooh...., or "Vader's theme" as Anakin falls.

Yes? No?

-DL

19. JediPriestess

Jul 28, 2004
    oooooooo I LIKE that idea!

20. Hades2021

Hades2021 Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2003
    I won't mind DOTF in the final duel as long as it's only in a little in the middle. My favorite duel is the ESB duel. There is no music for most of it, and I want to see that again for ROTS. I won't complain if music is played, though. I love John Williams' music!

The opening space battle should have the "chase" music from AOTC mixed with some ANH music. it'll be great.

21. star_wars_person4251

star_wars_person4251 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 17, 2004
    I hope they use " Dual of the Fates" too it's my favorite in the PT (that comes only from the PT) - they just played it last night (the town Municipal band) and I told my band director that I wanted it at this years concert he just said..."dream all you want..."

22. Emperor's Prize

Emperor's Prize Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 1999
    First off, the music John Williams has written for the PT has been extremely high caliber. The problem isn't Williams' composing abilities, but rather how his work is used in the movies.

The editing process for AOTC wreaked havoc with how John Williams' score was used in the film. Remember, the entire battle on Geonosis was nothing more than music that was recorded (and used) in TPM. Also, many themes in the PT have been misrepresented. Some examples: you hear the Trade Federation March when Obi-Wan discovers the Clone Army and Yoda's theme is prominent when Padme gets dumped into the cauldron in the droid foundry.

But what perplexes me the most is the lack of themes in the PT. If Jabba the Hutt warranted a theme of his own in the OT, why hasn't Padme been given her own theme in the PT? It would have been nice to have had a Clone theme to use when Obi-Wan discovered the clones. It could have been used as the basis for an entirely original score for the Geonosis battle.

Pooja, I agree with you that Grievous, Kashyyyk & Mustafar are all deserving of unique musical themes. In fact, considering how Grievous foreshadows Vader's birth, the theme for Grievous would be ideal as the main theme for the movie. It should be slightly mechanical, yet deeply evil.

Of course, the more GL edits ROTS up the very last minute, the less of an impact Williams' score will have. I can only hope that the movie is 90%+ set by the time Williams begins working on the score in earnest this fall / winter.

23. HothIcePrincess

HothIcePrincess Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 31, 2001
    I'm looking forward to the soundtrack as well...

Does anyone else remember hearing a John Williams quote when TPM came out that he had already composed the music for the final scene in EpIII? (since he was worried he might not be around to compose it... perisht the thought!)

I vote for a nice, integrated medley of Duel of the Fates, Anakin's theme, the Imperial March, for the final battle. Williams could pull it off... that's why he has so many of those funny gold statues on his mantle.

24. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    I agree that the editing was a big problem on the AOTC score. The movie sliced and diced it into almost nothing. The Arena march on track 12 (I think its 12) is one of my favorite tracks ever and it was barely heard in the movie. I sincerely hope this does not happen again in ROTS.

Leeda: GREAT post man, thanks! I don't know if I agree with the Dark Side theme playing when Anakin falls in the lava... I was thinking something powerfully emotional there. Nevertheless, great stuff.

25. jbird69

jbird69 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 11, 2000
    According to various sources, Duel of the Fates will be the theme for the duel in ROTS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.