main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*OFFICIAL THREAD* RotS Soundtrack Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Pooja, Aug 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KFAnnie

KFAnnie Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 15, 2004
    RED VERUS RED CONFIRMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!

2. Darth_Falto

Darth_Falto Jedi Youngling

Aug 8, 2002
    Like most everyone else who has posted here, I'm concerned about what the editing process will do to John William's score for ROTS. But my other fear is how internal politics at THE RANCH will affect it.
    Does anyone recall requests from ILM in TPM that there be no music in the Podrace? Or what about the Asteroid Chase in AOTC?

3. Emperor's Prize

Emperor's Prize Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 1999
    Does anyone recall requests from ILM in TPM that there be no music in the Podrace? Or what about the Asteroid Chase in AOTC?

I believe both of those suggestions came from Ben Burtt. See also: the Arena in AOTC. Burtt also wanted to have that entire scene without music. Williams had composed music for the entire sequence. What we got was a mix, a compromise of sorts. I'd rather Burtt had no input whatsoever in the soundtrack of the film. He's much better at showing off his talents by working with a soundtrack, rather than by replacing it.

4. -Commander_Thigh-

-Commander_Thigh- Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2004
    I think the little gray aliens that assist in the birth of Luke and Leia should have a motif, but certainly not a full-fledged theme. Greivous should also have a motif or theme. And Kashyyyk, Mustafar, and Utapau/Tion Medon's race should DEFINITELY have a motif/theme.

5. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    If Grievous sounds like a Nazi, which I hope he does, it would be nice if Williams just took some of his Nazi themes from the Indiana Jones trilogy and used them for the general. :p

6. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Well, not every damn thing in the movie can have a motif :p The soundtrack would have nothing but motifs in that case ;)
    Aside from main characters, the following had themes/motifs for being relatively minor:

Death Star (fanfare of sorts)
    Jawas ANH
    Boba Fett ESB
    Cloud City ESB

So you see, not everything's going to have a motif.
    Certainly not minor characters that appear in one scene. Also keep in mind, major characters who have a minor or no theme:

Han Solo (shares one with Leia)
    The Droids (had a small motif in ESB)
    Padme
    Shmi
    Jango

I doubt very highly any minor characters or races will have a theme. But as each film comes with at least two new themes, my guesses for RotS go as follows:

Grievous
    Wookies

I doubt Tion Meddon or his race will have a theme. Their planet will be involved in a battle with Obi-Wan and Grievous and the TF. So the major themes there will be Obi-Wan's (Force) theme, Grievous' (if he has one), and the TF march. The rest will be single battle music.
    The wookies may well have a theme like the Ewoks, though I'd expect more in the way of singular battle music to accompany their world.
    Also remember, that for the PT, Williams has been relying less and less on lietmotif (using themes/motifs as in the OT) and more on singular arrangements).

ANH: Introduced all the basic themes.
    End Credits: Rebel Fanfare/Leia's Theme

ESB: Imperial March, Han Solo/Leia's theme, Yoda's theme, Droid Motif, Boba Fett motif, Cloud City march.
    End Credits: Yoda's Theme/Imperial March/Han Solo & Leia's Theme

RotJ: Jabba's theme, Ewok's theme, Luke/Leia's theme, Emperor's Theme
    End Credits: Ewok's Theme/Luke & Leia's Theme

TPM: Duel of the Fates, Anakin's Theme, Jar Jar's Motif, Trade Federation March, Qui-Gon's Motif
    End Credits: DotF/Anakin's Theme

AotC: Anakin/Padme's Theme, Seperatists Motif
    End Credits: A&P's Theme

RotS: Grievous' Motif, Wookie Theme
    End Credits: ^ Though it'd be awesome if The Emperor's Theme got End Credit treatment :D

7. Motee

Motee Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2003
    Cool listing Motee. But where is the Kashyyyk stuff?

In the Clone Wars Theme. ;)

8. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Point understood sir.

9. Emperor's Prize

Emperor's Prize Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 1999
    That_Wascally_Droid,

That's a good analysis! Just a note of clarification: the Droids do in fact have a fairly prominent theme in ROTJ. It's most noticeable as they are aproaching Jabba's palace. ;) You can add Jabba to the list of minor characters with a theme, too.

10. Rassick

Rassick Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 26, 2004
    Bump.

Well, we've all seen the teaser by now. Has actually seeing snippets of the film in motion changed anyone's perception of what the movie will be like?

Anyway, here's my updated theoretical soundtrack listing. The original version was posted in June here: http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=16034150&start=16034497

01| Star Wars Main Title and War in Space

02| Revenge of the Sith (very dark, the main musical theme of the movie)

03| The Appearance of General Grievous and Count Dooku's Final Hour

04| Anakin and Padme (will probably be a more haunting version of "Across the Stars," the love theme from AOTC)

05| New Assignments

06| Yoda and the Wookiees

07| The Arrival at Utapau (maybe include a theme for the Nos monster attack)

08| The Great Betrayal (Palpatine turns the Clones against the Jedi)

09| The End of Master Windu

10| Birth of an Empire (includes the Jedi Temple massacre)

11| Hunter and Hunted (includes the fight between Obi-Wan and Grievous's bodyguards, the Obi-Wan/Grievous "vehicle" chase [Barg/Boga lizard chasing Grievous's wheel speeder], and the final showdown between the two generals)

12| Padme's Choice

13| Master and Apprentice (for The Duel, so it'll probably be a long track. A Duel of the Fates remix, plus some new musical cues.)

14| Death and Defeat (Anakin's fall)

15| The Dark Lord of the Sith and The Twins (probably a Vader Creation/Pollis Massa montage in the film)

16| Finale and End Credits

11. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Huge mega bump, just to let people know this thread is official.

12. Gazelle

Gazelle Jedi Youngling

Aug 1, 2003
    Nice to see that discussion around the music of Episode III is alive and well here!

13. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I hope we get to hear the brassy version of DOTF for the Dooku duel, and then the choir version mixed in for the Anakin duel.

14. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Thank God we won't though. :)

15. EndorRebelScum

EndorRebelScum Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 30, 2004
    Does anyone think we'll hear the Darth Vader cue from ANH (When he's introduced)

16. Darth_Sater

Darth_Sater Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    Throne Room! I want it not only in the end credits as is now, but somewhere in the film itself.

17. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    [face_laugh] @ Pooja--

Sorry, I liked it.

18. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Sorry, I liked it.

I do too. But I'm also a huge fan of originality.

19. Trav_the_jedi_Knight

Trav_the_jedi_Knight Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 7, 2004
    Somebody post some good themes PLEASE!!!

20. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    As soon as we get the Episode III soundtrack and posting full mp3's on this board becomes legal... sure thing.

21. Trav_the_jedi_Knight

Trav_the_jedi_Knight Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 7, 2004
    Guess you can't post songs...

Not good.

22. jesscal11

jesscal11 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2002
    I can't wait for the soundtrack... [face_dancing]

23. EndorRebelScum

EndorRebelScum Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 30, 2004
    What about Midi?

24. darth_sky_skywalker

darth_sky_skywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 26, 2005
    i believe we can all be safe in the knowlage that willams' score for this will b grand. duel of the fates was awesome, across the stars was awesome, whatever the new one for sith is will be great as well. he always does a great job and im sure that revenge will b no different.

im really looking forward to the music during the duel and also what williams comes up with for the general, should be great stuff.

25. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Midi would be fine, I'd imagine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.